• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prince Philip has died

in regard to why his will be moved to a different vault - the "other" vault is for the Kings and Queens. Only the bloodline and their spouse can be on that side so he has to wait for her to go to that side. This is how it was explained to be and seems to make sense, but can be totally wrong too.

Agreed. He never actually had a home until he was married. He was sent away to schools and he lived with other families, but he really grew up without either of his parents. But that probably made him more aware of how kids need someone they can ask for advice and accomplishments they can be proud of. It costs nothing really to work towards the Duke of Edinburgh awards but it opens a lot of doors and gives you a good start no matter where you come from.

But in the end he did quite well for someone who was smuggled out of Greece in an orange crate. He was my favourite royal, and I know that people have issues with him but he was a real person and much has changed in 100 years. People are much more sensitive now and shows like Fawlty Towers can't even be shown on TV -- but there was a time when you could kidd anyone about basically anything and I think that needs to be taken into consideration. It's like the easier our lives are, the more we find to complain about.
His was an historic figure who will be greatly missed.

My guesses for why he's in the vault temporarily would be:

1. Logistics. From pics it looks like burial in that chapel requires the floor to be taken up and the coffins lowered in. It might be easier to only do that once.
2. Related to logistics: While the Queen is alive, there remains the chance that she could change her mind. She could decide that she wants her own tomb or whatever and it would be easier to move him from the vault than from underneath that chapel floor, if that became the case.
3. Family issues: He isn't related to any of the people in that chapel. Putting him in with his in-laws, but without the Queen, might be considered odd or something he didn't want.

Dunno. Those are just my guesses.

I was kind of hoping that since she will likely be the longest reigning monarch, and he was the longest reigning consort, that they would do something like Richard the Lionheart and his wife, side by side effigies. I don't think that is something the Queen would plan for but it might be down after she passes. It's odd to me that modern burials are so simplified given that we have power tools today...

Bodies used to be moved around a lot more before refrigeration, buried and unburied, and with the lead lined coffins that the royals all have it's not so much of an issue. It makes it much easier though when the coffin is in a vault rather than underground.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter