Prince Philip has died

Saw part of the funeral; expected to hear someone giving a eulogy, but apparently it was done as Philip wanted. Glad that all of his children and grandchildren attended. Sad day for the Queen and her family.

I was also surprised that there were no eulogies, but wondered if Covid limitations played a part in that as well. Perhaps there was a maximum length of service or a limit on the number of speakers.

I did think it was a nice service. The family all looked so distressed. They were probably glad for the mask requirement, so they wouldn’t have to appear so stoic when it’s obvious they were all so sad.

Regarding his final resting place. I heard the explanation that he has always walked behind the Queen. He cannot be interred ahead of her. Once she is in place, he can be by her side forever.
True? It’s what I head.
That is a seriously weird rule.

I was also surprised that there were no eulogies, but wondered if Covid limitations played a part in that as well. Perhaps there was a maximum length of service or a limit on the number of speakers.

I did think it was a nice service. The family all looked so distressed. They were probably glad for the mask requirement, so they wouldn’t have to appear so stoic when it’s obvious they were all so sad.
Philip himself apparently engineered the entire proceeding and if the reports are to be believed, he specifically did not want to be eulogized as part of the funeral.
https://www.wionews.com/entertainme...nned-his-own-funeral-for-over-18-years-378142

This is a very good question, and I don’t know the answer.
There was a delay in interring Princess Margaret in the Memorial chapel and she was eventually interred at the same time as the Queen Mother. I wonder whether they open the vault in the Memorial Chapel as little as possible. I am just guessing and I may be barking up the wrong tree.

I just read an article on the deaths of The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret recently. Princess Margaret passed first (February 9, 2002) and her Lady in waiting handled all the arrangements in accordance with Princess Margaret’s final wishes. She wished to be buried with her parents but the final resting place only had room for the caskets of her parents. The solution was that she would be cremated (the first Royal to be cremated) and her ashes held for final interment in the Vault before the interment with her parents in the family tomb under the Chapel. The Queen Mother passed away within six weeks of her daughter (March 30, 2002) upon her burial, Margaret was placed with her parents. Prince Philip will be moved to the family tomb upon the death of Queen Elizabeth There are tombs under the entirety of St George’s Chapel with many historical Royals & family members buried in them. The Vault being the largest. They are located everywhere from beneath the altar, the Quire, inside the West doors...

Last edited:
My guesses for why he's in the vault temporarily would be:

1. Logistics. From pics it looks like burial in that chapel requires the floor to be taken up and the coffins lowered in. It might be easier to only do that once.
2. Related to logistics: While the Queen is alive, there remains the chance that she could change her mind. She could decide that she wants her own tomb or whatever and it would be easier to move him from the vault than from underneath that chapel floor, if that became the case.
3. Family issues: He isn't related to any of the people in that chapel. Putting him in with his in-laws, but without the Queen, might be considered odd or something he didn't want.

Dunno. Those are just my guesses.

3. Family issues: He isn't related to any of the people in that chapel. Putting him in with his in-laws, but without the Queen, might be considered odd or something he didn't want.
My guess is along these lines as well. The Queen always goes first.

It surprised me when I heard it, but then I thought about it and really wasn't shocked.

:scratchin Not exactly a speedy process, is it? The coffin barely moved over the entire course of the video. Sitting there waiting would be sad and tedious I think. I also wonder if there’s somebody down below there that received the coffin and moved it into its final place, There must be. And I wonder if the individual tombs are sealed up somehow, like our modern mausoleums, and how they are ventilated. This kind of stuff fascinates me.

Still don't have the why, but it's interesting that Princess Margaret's remains (she was cremated) was also placed in the vault and moved to the Memorial Chapel shortly after when the Queen Mother passed. So that at least gives a clue about it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philip-25th-royal-buried-23930634

Princess Margaret was moved from the vault into the King George VI (father of Queen Elizabeth) Memorial Chapel which is essentially the family plot. Prince Phillip and eventually Queen Elizabeth will rest there as well.

Interesting info here..

https://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/a.../royal-burials/royal-burials-chapel-location/

:scratchin Not exactly a speedy process, is it? The coffin barely moved over the entire course of the video. Sitting there waiting would be sad and tedious I think. I also wonder if there’s somebody down below there that received the coffin and moved it into its final place, There must be. And I wonder if the individual tombs are sealed up somehow, like our modern mausoleums, and how they are ventilated. This kind of stuff fascinates me.

About the tombs at St. George’s Windsor

https://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/a.../royal-burials/royal-burials-chapel-location/

I felt fortunate to be home to see it in it’s entirety. I liked that it was not a state funeral and that it wasn’t long. Made it seem more personal. I think prince Philip knew what kind of funeral he wanted, and his wishes were honored.

I find it interesting that he actually designed the vehicle that will transport his remains. It's a custom Land Rover pickup in military green. Very utilitarian.

210415-philip-hearse-mb_e86c57d1a6254a53bf2111830916deef.fit-560w.JPG
And apparently nearly 20 years old and never used before. When I first heard about it I thought it was a vehicle in use that had an adaptable bed created for it, but apparently he commissioned it back in 2003 and has been tweaking details on it up until 2 years ago. The vehicle has been kept at the Land Rover factory and constantly maintained in readiness for this occasion. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56771164

I hope that the family take the platform off the back and use it as a pickup in one of the horse barns now; keeping it ready for all these years had to have been expensive, and I hope it gets more than one days' use after all that.

And apparently nearly 20 years old and never used before. When I first heard about it I thought it was a vehicle in use that had an adaptable bed created for it, but apparently he commissioned it back in 2003 and has been tweaking details on it up until 2 years ago. The vehicle has been kept at the Land Rover factory and constantly maintained in readiness for this occasion. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56771164

I hope that the family take the platform off the back and use it as a pickup in one of the horse barns now; keeping it ready for all these years had to have been expensive, and I hope it gets more than one days' use after all that.
I'd be surprised, if it didn't go to a museum.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter