Prince Philip has died

The royal family has been dealt another blow this day. Very sad. Quite the life he lived...99! May he rest in peace.

I wonder...he and Elizabeth were SO close...I wonder if she will be not far behind him? When my Grandmother passed, my grandfather went just a few short months later. He just couldn't keep on going without her and died of a broken heart.

The royal family has been dealt another blow this day. Very sad. Quite the life he lived...99! May he rest in peace.

I wonder...he and Elizabeth were SO close...I wonder if she will be not far behind him? When my Grandmother passed, my grandfather went just a few short months later. He just couldn't keep on going without her and died of a broken heart.

I thought the same thing. This could start her decline and I wouldn’t blame her. How heartbreaking for her. My grandparents went within a week of each other—they couldn’t live without each other.

My daughters are both huge fans of the royal family. They are very concerned that once Elizabeth dies and Charles becomes king the royal family will become irrelevant. They want Charles to give the throne to William.

What an amazing life of what it means to be human, filled with flaws that himself and others learned from, triumphs, perseverance, resilience, and dignity. Rest easy Prince Philip. Your duty and service will never go unrecognized and is everlasting. Well done. Well done indeed. Thank you. God Bless The Queen and her family during this time of mourning and their path forward.

My daughters are both huge fans of the royal family. They are very concerned that once Elizabeth dies and Charles becomes king the royal family will become irrelevant. They want Charles to give the throne to William.

That won't happen. Charles is going to want to go in there and make the biggest impact he can in what will hopefully be a short term. :rotfl2: I am not a Brit. It does not make a darn difference to me but.... I just do not like Camilla and Charles. We can only hope there's some devious plan in effect to somehow off him accidentally once Elizabeth goes.

As for Phillip... I was never a big fan. I remember some of his comments through the years. But out of anybody in the RF I feel like he has had the toughest job so while I do not care for him, I do respect the pillar he has been for his family.

That won't happen. Charles is going to want to go in there and make the biggest impact he can in what will hopefully be a short term. :rotfl2: I am not a Brit. It does not make a darn difference to me but.... I just do not like Camilla and Charles. We can only hope there's some devious plan in effect to somehow off him accidentally once Elizabeth goes.

As for Phillip... I was never a big fan. I remember some of his comments through the years. But out of anybody in the RF I feel like he has had the toughest job so while I do not care for him, I do respect the pillar he has been for his family.
It's right that Prince Philip, taken at 99, was a pillar.

In Canada The Queen is the head of state, represented by a Governor-General.

Whether there is a monarchy or a republic is a matter for each country. When there is indeed a monarchy, and a Queen reigns, then the position of someone such as Prince Philip proves to be immensely important in terms of - as mentioned - a pillar: he was a very longstanding support; he provided a strong sense of continuity; as a WW2 veteran he saw current life from the vantage point of a long perspective over many tumultuous decades; his official motto 'God is my help' made much sense.

Loss of your mate is hard. Loss of your mate after that many years together must be almost inconceivable to accept.

Charles will make a perfectly fine king.
I have no qualms about him being our next head of state.

The royal family has been dealt another blow this day. Very sad. Quite the life he lived...99!
More than that: I just read that he was born June 10, 1921. Today is April 9; if he had lived just two more months, he would have been 100.
So sad. He was a TRUE Gentleman. A Great Brit through and through. May he rest in peace. Prayers to the Queen.
I'm not overly sure about the true gentleman part. Googling his birthdate, I saw a couple quotes from him -- of course, if you live essentially a century, you're bound to say something stupid occasionally:
We don't come to Canada for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves.
I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife.

I thought the same thing. This could start her decline and I wouldn’t blame her. How heartbreaking for her. My grandparents went within a week of each other—they couldn’t live without each other.
Her own mother lived to be 101 1/2 and was the longest-lived royal in history. The queen comes from good genes.

Or perhaps this will be the event that convinces her to step down /pass the throne on to Charles.

I read that they've been married 70 years. Mind-boggling. His could not have been an easy position ... married to a woman whose job IS her life /who "belongs to" the public in a unique way. But it seems that the two of them shared a real love for their entire lives ... not such an easy thing in the public eye.
I think Charles got lots of bad press because of Diana /the affair, but he has a lot of positive traits. They just happen to be quiet type of things that can blend into the background when compared to the more exciting younger royals.

Last edited:
So sad :(

The basic role of the Royal Family now is that of a representative and Philip was great at this. And to think, he almost made it to 100! Prayers to the Queen and his family.

It's right that Prince Philip, taken at 99, was a pillar.

In Canada The Queen is the head of state, represented by a Governor-General.

Whether there is a monarchy or a republic is a matter for each country. When there is indeed a monarchy, and a Queen reigns, then the position of someone such as Prince Philip proves to be immensely important in terms of - as mentioned - a pillar: he was a very longstanding support; he provided a strong sense of continuity; as a WW2 veteran he saw current life from the vantage point of a long perspective over many tumultuous decades; his official motto 'God is my help' made much sense.

I take it back to the basics even with him. Put aside him being a Pillar which he was. I think about how hard it must have been, ESPECIALLY in the beginning, to accept that he was always going to be far less "important" than his wife. I know I am probably not explaining that correctly but straight out of the gate he was dealing with a life that men just did not deal with back then. They were the head of the family period. The fact that IMO he just flourished in that role is really one of the things I respect. He was also obviously a very hardworking Royal etc. I just have a hard time getting past some of his horrid comments :( But again not a Brit so my opinion matters not :(

The family has had a rough time. I certainly hope Elizabeth just keeps thing together for a long time after this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter