Prince Philip has died

I watched the tributes to their father that Charles, Anne, and Edward recorded. I thought they were touching. I am glad Philip was home for a few weeks before he passed, rather than still in the hospital. Than’s what I would have wanted if it were me.
I also found it lovely to see Sophie of Wessex stepping forward and representing; I'm not sure I've ever seen her do so. She seems poised, regal and gracious - clearly the winner of the DIL contest. :goodvibes
His mistakes were generally insulting and often based on ethnic stereotypes. He was often just careless in his remarks when he probably should have been more restrained. But that's kind of who he was.
:confused3A lot of us have/had grandparents who would have said very similar things, albeit not on an international stage.

:confused3A lot of us have/had grandparents who would have said very similar things, albeit not on an international stage.
A lot of what Prince Phillip did and said was somewhat racially or ethnically tinged. Perhaps insulting. However, a lot of it was stuff he said when he didn't think it would noticed. But there was certainly a side of him that showed that he had a big heart and could be charming. He never seemed to be an all an all out racist, but just someone who didn't always have a strong filter. I know some people who privately say stuff but can hold back when they think it might be heard in public.

It's certainly a complicated legacy.

His was a remarkably long life of service, indeed. When one considers the span of decades and the events in them that he experienced - often at close quarters - it is truly historic.

I do think that, since The Queen has lived for many decades with the memory of what for the Royal Family was the horror of 1936, she is likely to want to continue for as much time as God gives her.

The plan was for her to more or less step down after her 95th birthday...but she may change her mind now that she will be mostly alone. Or she may find it to hard to carry on royal duties without him there for balance. Overheard in Canada when the the Queen was nervous before giving a speech: "Buck up old girl. Just act like you own the joint."

I just think she has been through too much the past year. It will be so much harder without him, but at least she can stop worrying when it will happen.

The plan was for her to more or less step down after her 95th birthday...but she may change her mind now that she will be mostly alone. Or she may find it to hard to carry on royal duties without him there for balance.
One of Philip's reported not suffering fools gladly interactions:

"Do you think your son will become King anytime soon?" someone asked him.

Philip responded, "Are you suggesting that my wife is about to die?"

I have never seen a credible source state there was a plan for the Queen to retire at 95- that's an urban legend. She considers being monarch a holy obligation and not something to be retired from unless she can no longer do the job. She's already planning to get back to work after only a 2-week mourning period for Philip.

Queen to throw herself back into royal duties after two weeks of mourning

Last edited:
The plan was for her to more or less step down after her 95th birthday...but she may change her mind now that she will be mostly alone. Or she may find it to hard to carry on royal duties without him there for balance. Overheard in Canada when the the Queen was nervous before giving a speech: "Buck up old girl. Just act like you own the joint."

I just think she has been through too much the past year. It will be so much harder without him, but at least she can stop worrying when it will happen.
A great void has indeed been left in the life and role of The Queen, who does take issues of faith and duty very seriously, and I think it's in these strong conceptions which The Queen has that will be found the key to how the time ahead will be faced.

I have never seen any credible source state there was a plan for her to retire at 95. She considers being monarch a holy obligation and not something to be retired from unless she can no longer do the job. She's already planning to get back to work after a 2-week mourning period for Philip.
Other monarchs such as Prince Rainer III of Monaco called the monarch's role as somewhere 'between a duty and a priesthood', and indeed, The Queen in a considerably wider role includes a position of Supreme Governor of the Church of England, in which the priesthood of all believers is historically a theme: The Queen is likely to pursue her duty as Providence enables.

Other monarchs such as Prince Rainer III of Monaco called the monarch's role as somewhere 'between a duty and a priesthood', and indeed, The Queen in a considerably wider role includes a position of Supreme Governor of the Church of England, in which the priesthood of all believers is historically a theme: The Queen is likely to pursue her duty as Providence enables.
Not to mention the fact that she is much more popular than Charles, and the monarchy is currently under some threat due to the attacks accusations of the Sussexes and the The Crown's hatchet job portrayal of the royal family. It's not a good time for her to step down, even if she wished to.

At his age and given his condition, there's no way they could not have been expecting it. Having been in a similar situation with my own parent, you get to a point where you know every day is borrowed time. And from what we know, royal protocols have had the funeral planned and all the announcements/press-releases ready to roll out for a very long time. That's not unique to Prince Philip - it's similar for all of them.

::yes:: Interesting comment and I thought exactly the same thing. It would never have happened here in Canada within our health system either - never. One must assume though that the Royal Family has a medical staff that operates outside the NHS and perhaps your system also includes private, for-a-fee hospitals?

I wouldn't be so sure about that (the underlined) -- at least it's not the case in Nova Scotia. My neighbour was 96 when she had surgery -- basically it was a choice between giving her a chance and certain death. She made it through the surgery ok. From what I've read, Prince Philip was in a similar situation. Before he became ill he was about as active as an average 85 year old, possibly younger because he was still driving carts.

I have to think even if the Queen had considered stepping down at 95, she's far less likely to do so now with the hornets nest still stirred up by Harry and Meghan.

Agreed. the ship needs an experienced captain with all of the storms ahead. I do think Charles will have more diplomatic duties and may assist with constitutional issues but hers will be the last say in whether she grants assent to any law.

His early life was not an indulged, luxurious one. Not by a long stretch.

Agreed. He never actually had a home until he was married. He was sent away to schools and he lived with other families, but he really grew up without either of his parents. But that probably made him more aware of how kids need someone they can ask for advice and accomplishments they can be proud of. It costs nothing really to work towards the Duke of Edinburgh awards but it opens a lot of doors and gives you a good start no matter where you come from.

But in the end he did quite well for someone who was smuggled out of Greece in an orange crate. He was my favourite royal, and I know that people have issues with him but he was a real person and much has changed in 100 years. People are much more sensitive now and shows like Fawlty Towers can't even be shown on TV -- but there was a time when you could kidd anyone about basically anything and I think that needs to be taken into consideration. It's like the easier our lives are, the more we find to complain about.

Before he became ill he was about as active as an average 85 year old, possibly younger because he was still driving carts.
Not important ... but I just misread this as "driving cats", and I had a mental image of old Prince Phillip with a broom shuffling a bunch of calicos and tabbies out of Buckingham Palace yelling, "Out -- get out, You! You're upsetting the Corgis!"

Agreed. the ship needs an experienced captain with all of the storms ahead. I do think Charles will have more diplomatic duties and may assist with constitutional issues but hers will be the last say in whether she grants assent to any law.
The monarch does not really get a say in granting assent . It’s a rubber stamp.

The monarch does not really get a say in granting assent . It’s a rubber stamp.

This is largely true. In theory the Queen can refuse to bring an act into law. Of course, if she ever tried this, that would probably be the end of the monarchy. But if some Hitler-esque character somehow ascended into power, then in theory she could - if she had the undeniable majority of the nation behind her - constitutionally block crazy laws and protect the land. But that won't happen.

I find it interesting that he actually designed the vehicle that will transport his remains. It's a custom Land Rover pickup in military green. Very utilitarian.

210415-philip-hearse-mb_e86c57d1a6254a53bf2111830916deef.fit-560w.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter