Prices just hit my threshold :-(

Our first 3 days this year will be at US/IOA, and after reading a bit about it, we wondered how this would change our view of Disney during the remainder of the vacation.

IMO, the main difference now between Universal and Disney is the character selection. For some people Mickey and Cinderella are just going to do it more for them than Simpsons and Minions. Disney also has some better entertainment (parades/fireworks), although there are rumors in the grapevine that for parades, Universal wants to step it up (the holiday parade with the Macy's balloons is nice). Attraction-wise, while I prefer the Classic Disney stuff like Haunted Mansion, honestly Disney doesn't build that stuff anymore. And so I prefer Mummy to Everest, Men in Black to Buzz, Simpsons to Soarin and Harry Potter just blows anything Disney has done lately out of the water. And it's so nice to just go somewhere and not have to worry about Fastpasses, where we want to eat, long lines for characters or several of the other frustrations we have with Disney. Seeing Minion Mayhem can be an issue. We try to be there prior to posted opening time, so we are there when they start letting people in and can be in an early show. Otherwise, we have enough theme park general knowledge to move around and do things while waits are 20 min or less (except maybe Gringotts). They have an app with wait times, and that helps a lot.

Nope, but a couple of things I have learned about the DIS over the years

1. There is a LARGE segment of posters whose personal self worth is tied up in Disney. Therefore ANY response that Disney is not perfect and other places may offer options MUST be responded to with belittling, attacks or 'trash talk" even if the "trash talk" contains no real facts. They are determined that Disney will be better LOL!

2. Most people who trash the competition have not even been there. See #1. LOL!

Yes, before I started making some trips to Universal to see the Potter stuff, I mostly stayed inside the Disney bubble, and trashed Universal calling it "Punyversal" and so on. But Universal has come a long long ways in the past decade, to where they are starting to become a real alternative. One can now justify 3-4 days there.

Don't get me wrong, I still purchased DVC this year, because I still think given its size and offerings that Disney is a more complete resort to spend a week at right now. But it has come to the point that if Universal started offering timeshares I might actually consider, especially if you could book a few days at a time like DVC.

Universal can't match some of the offerings at Disney, especially things like golf courses, horseback riding, specialty cruises, and the level of fireworks and parades, so Disney is a more complete resort right now, but Universal offers enough to justify several days, and the quality is also there now as well.

I am interested to see how many people who say they will sell their dvc points actually do. I am not going to lie, I am one who would be checking into them to buy. Not from Disney of course, but secondary market resale .
My family loves the deluxe resorts. Do I think they are worth $400 a night? No way .But they are worth $200 to me, which is why I rent dvc . I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and never feel the way I feel at a Disney hotel . I dont know what it is, but I hate to leave . I think that is what keeps me going back. I could do a week at animal kingdom lodge, and 3 days at MK and be happy with my vacation.
Also, I am glad I didn't start going to wdw until more recently, the prices don't seem to bother me as much because I dont know the "way it was". Maybe THAT is what everyone means about replacing someone leaving....a family that has nothing to compare it to, but know they love Disney .

Ours are listed at The Timeshare Store- BWV.

Our first 3 days this year will be at US/IOA, and after reading a bit about it, we wondered how this would change our view of Disney during the remainder of the vacation.

If you can and if you want to, I would suggest moving your Universal days to the end of your trip if you plan to stay Uni onsite. It's what we do because it's much more relaxing. No worrying about FPs because your room keys get you into a separate entrance with much shorter waits. You can tour the parks at your leisure. The HP stuff is not part of the keys deal but onsite guests get to enter the parks 1 hour earlier and you could domthe HPmstuff then with minimal waits compared to later in the day.

In a stunning announcement today, Disney stated they are renaming their "Magic Your Way" tickets to:

http://i235.*************************************Misc/disney-world-ticket.png​

And they've released the new pricing scheme, which Disney states will reduce overcrowding in the parks.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/NewDisTicketPrices_1.png​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Got questions about DVC?
Visit the DVC Information Center in the DVC Forums for the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.
This is hilarious! I wonder if it would actually help though... :teeth:

IMO, the main difference now between Universal and Disney is the character selection. For some people Mickey and Cinderella are just going to do it more for them than Simpsons and Minions. Disney also has some better entertainment (parades/fireworks), although there are rumors in the grapevine that for parades, Universal wants to step it up (the holiday parade with the Macy's balloons is nice). Attraction-wise, while I prefer the Classic Disney stuff like Haunted Mansion, honestly Disney doesn't build that stuff anymore. And so I prefer Mummy to Everest, Men in Black to Buzz, Simpsons to Soarin and Harry Potter just blows anything Disney has done lately out of the water. And it's so nice to just go somewhere and not have to worry about Fastpasses, where we want to eat, long lines for characters or several of the other frustrations we have with Disney. Seeing Minion Mayhem can be an issue. We try to be there prior to posted opening time, so we are there when they start letting people in and can be in an early show. Otherwise, we have enough theme park general knowledge to move around and do things while waits are 20 min or less (except maybe Gringotts). They have an app with wait times, and that helps a lot.
I agree that the characters are overall better at WDW but the Transformers are awfully cool. There's something fun to me about seeing Lucy too but I'm a big fan of the show.

We've been every year for 28 years. We have met our threshold now. Son, wife just got back and they have reached their threshold too. Disney won't miss any of us. We all feel really bad as we all love Disney, but enough is enough, at least for us.

I agree that the characters are overall better at WDW but the Transformers are awfully cool. There's something fun to me about seeing Lucy too but I'm a big fan of the show.

I think they announced they were closing the Lucy exhibit. One other thing I believe Universal does well is the quick service food at places like 3 Broomsticks. I think that is by far our favorite quick service spot. haven;t been to the new Diagon Alley stuff yet but hope it's as yummy!

The rate of US inflation would put those $4 at $31.50 today. Pretty far cry from $105.

That $4 book only covered a few rides. If you wanted more rides you had to buy another $4 book. So 3 books @ $31.50=$94.50. A lot closer to that $105. And if you do more than 1 day at Disney the price per day goes down for each day longer that you stay. It is not $105/day, but $105 for the first and decreases/day for additional day.

In a stunning announcement today, Disney stated they are renaming their "Magic Your Way" tickets to:

http://i235.*************************************Misc/disney-world-ticket.png​

And they've released the new pricing scheme, which Disney states will reduce overcrowding in the parks.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/NewDisTicketPrices_1.png​

Got questions about DVC?
Visit the DVC Information Center in the DVC Forums for the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Most people who trash the competition have not even been there.

Well, I have been to Universal and IOA more than once. I actually went using complimentary tickets. I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. Why? Well, I am not a thrill ride person, so a park filled with coasters and other thrill rides means I don't have a lot to do. Many of the movies their attractions are based on are movies I didn't enjoy when I saw them (not a fan of Terminator, Jaws, Men in Black, etc.). I tried reading Harry Potter and tried watching the movies, and was bored, so those areas hold no interest for me. The only thing at Universal that I enjoy are the Minions, and that's just not enough for me to warrant spending a day there.

But just because I don't enjoy Universal's product doesn't mean it's a bad product. It's just not the right one for me. I have been a Disney fan for years, long before WDW was even built. I have watched, and enjoyed, the movies the attractions are based on (well, except Avatar - didn't like that movie and have no interest in that section of AK when it opens). There are enough attractions that aren't thrill based to keep me busy too.

It just really depends on what your interests are. Both companies have a quality product, but they are very different and it's likely that if you really love one, you probably don't like the other. We have this debate in the office all the time because the people who love Universal for the most part don't like Disney, and vice versa. It's almost as heated as rival sports teams!

I was a very long term Disney fan who has switched over to Universal. When I was going to Disney I didn't hate Universal. I liked it I just liked Disney better. Fast Forward and Now I have a AP at Universal. Look there is just more at Disney that I don't like right now and I think that Universal has upped their game. I don't hate Disney just dislike some of their policies.

Now FP+ and ADR and planning so much in advance is great for some people. It's not for me. I was fine with ADRs but Universal is just more of a vacation for me. I feel like I get more bang for my buck. And Spiderman, Doctor Suess, and Harry Potter. Love all those characters. And I am not a thrill fan but I'm finding lots to do.

And I'm glad Universal is in Orlando. If Disney has healthy competition it makes it better for all of us.

Last edited:
Quick question: I just got annual passes for DD and me in August (we upgraded our tickets). Did they JUST go up $120 each? That is a lot! I'm glad we got them; we're going in March/April and again probably the last week or two in August, so it made sense. We got regular annual passes; we're not into the water parks.

Quick question: I just got annual passes for DD and me in August (we upgraded our tickets). Did they JUST go up $120 each? That is a lot! I'm glad we got them; we're going in March/April and again probably the last week or two in August, so it made sense. We got regular annual passes; we're not into the water parks.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/Ap2015Oct.png

Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.

Last edited:
And if Universal had never come to Orlando, I doubt Disney would have built the Studios and AK.

I'm glad Universal is Orlando, it gives the area a much bigger variety of great things to do.
Disney's MGM Studios was started and finished before Universal Studio's.

Disney's MGM Studios was started and finished before Universal Studio's.

After Universal announced plans to open an Orlando park. For once Disney did something quickly to beat out a competitor. And I wouldn't say HS was "finished" before Universal opened. HS opened with just a handful of attractions, about what it has reverted to currently.

Well, I have been to Universal and IOA more than once. I actually went using complimentary tickets. I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. Why? Well, I am not a thrill ride person, so a park filled with coasters and other thrill rides means I don't have a lot to do. Many of the movies their attractions are based on are movies I didn't enjoy when I saw them (not a fan of Terminator, Jaws, Men in Black, etc.). I tried reading Harry Potter and tried watching the movies, and was bored, so those areas hold no interest for me. The only thing at Universal that I enjoy are the Minions, and that's just not enough for me to warrant spending a day there.

But just because I don't enjoy Universal's product doesn't mean it's a bad product. It's just not the right one for me. I have been a Disney fan for years, long before WDW was even built. I have watched, and enjoyed, the movies the attractions are based on (well, except Avatar - didn't like that movie and have no interest in that section of AK when it opens). There are enough attractions that aren't thrill based to keep me busy too.

It just really depends on what your interests are. Both companies have a quality product, but they are very different and it's likely that if you really love one, you probably don't like the other. We have this debate in the office all the time because the people who love Universal for the most part don't like Disney, and vice versa. It's almost as heated as rival sports teams!
We enjoy both Universal and Disney (with an admitted edge to Universal) and I'm glad. I get a kick out of that contrast you mentioned. I agree with you that it's all a matter of taste though and both offer a quality product that might not be for everyone.

I disagree. Disney offers a lot more in terms of entertainment for the entire family, not just character based.

I like thrill rides but after going to IOA and US once I said been there, done that, never going again. That's just my take, I know others will disagree or feel that way about WDW and that's fine. I think Universal is fine for teens and adults but Disney is really more family focused.

I respect everyone's preference of one park over another, but I do think Disney caters to the whole family from
babies to adults, where Universal is really teen and adult focused with a few attractions for the younger set sprinkled in -- but even those are pretty intense and overstimulating, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter