Prices just hit my threshold :-(

disneyfan2kids

DisneyFan3Kids now, but I can't change my name.
New AP cost (even for me as a DVC) has just officially put me over the "not gonna do it" threshold. Increase of $120/person = $600 for my family. Nope. $3,245 for park tickets? No way.

I always paid the increases thinking it was worthwhile. I have to be honest - they have officially put me over the edge. We have bought AP's every year for about 9 years (when we bought DVC.) Not anymore. Luckily I bought for our upcoming trip at old prices.

We will continue to do Disney...but will no longer go more than once per year. And even our 1 trip we will no longer go to parks every day. I will buy non-expiring, spend WAY more time at surrounding non-WDW attractions, make the non-expiring tickets last years, and add in Universal and Sea World to our trips. I'm sure they knew they'd lose people at some level..and they were always pushing the envelope of cost to see what (if any) people wouldn't pay. Well, my limit was just hit.

I always swore I'd not do Unversal or sea World anytime soon because our AP's kept us on property and spending our money in disney restaurants and shops. I guess it's nice they helped force my hand into other parks/experiences.

I know I'm only 1 family... but their raising the AP's by $600 for my family just cost them any future AP's from us as well as dining/tours/souvenirs for all those days we would have been in parks. I'd guess (inclusive of AP's) we spent about $6K annually in parks. That number will probably be closer to $2K now. The remainder will be spent on other attractions and restaurants outside of WDW.

The increase in prices is sure making a trip to Britain more and more appealing. :) I'll wait to see how much they raise the regular tickets before I make my final decision, but I will say they are inching closer to the tipping point. I'm not saying I won't ever go back again, but it certainly won't be twice a year and maybe only once every couple of years. There are plenty of other places to spend my money.

Sounds like some first world problems.

FYI...you're on a Disney chatboard. 99.9% percent of the stuff discussed here is a first world problem.

OP, you should definitely look into Universal prices. While their 1-3 day tickets are pretty close to Disney's prices, we paid about half for our Universal APs as we paid for our Disney APs. If you'll go to Universal 4 or more days in a year, the APs are a great bargain (and include parking).

Sounds like some first world problems.

People tend to forget how business have a margin of profit and when that margin is no longer there they have to increase prices.
I tend to think anyone frequenting a WDW chat board has similar "first world problems." If I wanted to chat about the meaning of life or world hunger I'd not be posting on the Disboards.

Every business has a bottom line that they are determined to meet. The point at which they price themselves of of the competitive market is the fine line they walk in attempting to meet that bottom line. Which is what has happened here, for me.

I tend to think anyone frequenting a WDW chat board has similar "first world problems." If I wanted to chat about the meaning of life or world hunger I'd not be posting on the Disboards.

Every business has a bottom line that they are determined to meet. The point at which they price themselves of of the competitive market is the fine line they walk in attempting to meet that bottom line. Which is what has happened here, for me.
I understand. My point was merely that its not the end of the world.

There are plenty of other places to spend my money.

Indeed. There are all sorts of great places to go in this world. Especially if you are on a Disney sized budget. My wife and I found out that we could go to the Moon Palace in Riviera Maya for 4 nights (including airfare) AND spend 6 nights at Universal (HRH club level - but not including airfare and food) for about the same price of staying at the Club Level of the Grand Floridian (w/club level and the dining plan) for 4 nights, including airfare. So basically, for the extra cost of airfare to Orlando and food while at Universal, we got 2 great trips. We are basically done with regular trips to Disney. There are too many other great places that we have missed out on over the years.

I agree that's a ridiculous price increase. On the bright side, your boys are perfect ages for Universal! We love WDW but have been really enjoying Universal the past few years. Time for a change!
I have never been! Now I will have to try it... but I know NOTHING about universal. It seems daunting to plan a visit when I know so little. I suppose i will have to visit their boards so I figure out how that place works?! LOL...otherwise I'll be the non-informed WDW tourist that shows up mid-afternoon wondering why all the people in front of them got those "front of the line" passes and why I can't get front seats for the 3pm parade :-)

FYI...you're on a Disney chatboard. 99.9% percent of the stuff discussed here is a first world problem.

OP, you should definitely look into Universal prices. While their 1-3 day tickets are pretty close to Disney's prices, we paid about half for our Universal APs as we paid for our Disney APs. If you'll go to Universal 4 or more days in a year, the APs are a great bargain (and include parking).

I don't know why that made me laugh as hard as it did. Every time Disney announces it's increasing prices it spawns a bunch of these posts. The fact is, it's a luxury vacation. Disney does a great job in giving plenty of options so as many families can take advantage, whether it be their lenient outside food/drink policy, or the number of value/moderate resorts they have on property. heck they are even dipping their toe in the "good neighbor" model DL has by allowing Ramada and Red Roof to build on property. If that's still to much, a family can stay offsite, use shuttles, and buy discount tickets through Undercover.
When I was a kid in the 80's I didn't know a single kid that went to Disney World. Now it's a right of passage. Judging by the crowds we saw in September, Disney is still filling their rooms and parks regardless of the price increases.

New AP cost (even for me as a DVC) has just officially put me over the "not gonna do it" threshold. Increase of $120/person = $600 for my family. Nope. $3,245 for park tickets? No way.

I always paid the increases thinking it was worthwhile. I have to be honest - they have officially put me over the edge. We have bought AP's every year for about 9 years (when we bought DVC.) Not anymore. Luckily I bought for our upcoming trip at old prices.

We will continue to do Disney...but will no longer go more than once per year. And even our 1 trip we will no longer go to parks every day. I will buy non-expiring, spend WAY more time at surrounding non-WDW attractions, make the non-expiring tickets last years, and add in Universal and Sea World to our trips. I'm sure they knew they'd lose people at some level..and they were always pushing the envelope of cost to see what (if any) people wouldn't pay. Well, my limit was just hit.

I always swore I'd not do Unversal or sea World anytime soon because our AP's kept us on property and spending our money in disney restaurants and shops. I guess it's nice they helped force my hand into other parks/experiences.

I know I'm only 1 family... but their raising the AP's by $600 for my family just cost them any future AP's from us as well as dining/tours/souvenirs for all those days we would have been in parks. I'd guess (inclusive of AP's) we spent about $6K annually in parks. That number will probably be closer to $2K now. The remainder will be spent on other attractions and restaurants outside of WDW.

We've reached our breaking point as well. Our APs expire in August, 2016 and that will be it for us for a LOOOONG time. We'll still travel to Orlando, we just won't spend time at WDW. We've been to US/IOA before, but haven't been back since Diagon Alley opened, so that's where our vacation dollars will be spent.

I have never been! Now I will have to try it... but I know NOTHING about universal. It seems daunting to plan a visit when I know so little. I suppose i will have to visit their boards so I figure out how that place works?! LOL...otherwise I'll be the non-informed WDW tourist that shows up mid-afternoon wondering why all the people in front of them got those "front of the line" passes and why I can't get front seats for the 3pm parade :-)

If you stay onsite at the deluxe US/IOA hotels, you get free express passes that work at most attractions in addition to early entry to one (sometimes both) park each day. Depending on when you stay, the AP rates at the deluxes can be as low as $200 a night and 1 night onsite gets you 2 days of express passes. Even without express passes, the parks aren't really as crowded as WDW and are much more of a relaxing vacation than WDW. Come on over to the US/IOA section of the boards here. Lot of helpful info and people willing to help you plan.

Last edited:

My favorite thing about Universal is that the planning is much less involved than planning for WDW. No ADRs needed, no FP to book... There are a lot of Universal pros over on those boards who can give you all the best tips.

I'm not a fan of blackouts, but the Gold Pass is worth it.

I still think tiered pricing is on its way. Soon.

From what I just read this morning they are talking about tiered pricing already. Higher on the weekends and during the summer while lower on the shoulder seasons. I wonder where this will put an AP?

I don't know why that made me laugh as hard as it did. Every time Disney announces it's increasing prices it spawns a bunch of these posts. The fact is, it's a luxury vacation. Disney does a great job in giving plenty of options so as many families can take advantage, whether it be their lenient outside food/drink policy, or the number of value/moderate resorts they have on property. heck they are even dipping their toe in the "good neighbor" model DL has by allowing Ramada and Red Roof to build on property. If that's still to much, a family can stay offsite, use shuttles, and buy discount tickets through Undercover.
When I was a kid in the 80's I didn't know a single kid that went to Disney World. Now it's a right of passage. Judging by the crowds we saw in September, Disney is still filling their rooms and parks regardless of the price increases.

WDW isn't going anywhere, there attendance is going up not down, and I honestly don't think they care in the slightest if even a few hundred families decide that the price is now too expensive. There are plenty of families that will take up the slack.

I'm not a fan of blackouts, but the Gold Pass is worth it.
Yes, I agree. Except that is our favorite time of year to go...and it's $20 more than I spend now. LOL! So I will have to pay $100 more per year and can't travel during the time we do every other year.

Still a better option.. you're right!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter