Prices just hit my threshold :-(

Here is the thing Disney had record attendance in 1991. Then went on a downward spiral with a lot of mediocre years. This happened in an era of a lot of building of new attractions. Disney now has good attendance for a few years and has gone aggressive on pricing while lacking on new attractions. To me and others that recipe could be very troubling especially when the economy is in a great place. Not to mention that universal in that same time frame has had such a vastly larger attendance push.

We don't have access to the detailed numbers, plans or strategies of Disney Parks. I assume they have a business strategy and are executing on it. I'm not going to play armchair quarterback and second guess Disney's business decisions without having access to all the information.

Of course, that's what we do here on DISBoards, and it's interesting conversation.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.

Last edited:
Yep. I rarely buy coffee at Starbucks. It's a little more than I want to pay for my caffeine, and I don't need that specific atmosphere. Sometimes it's worth it to me but not often. Others go there every day. If Starbucks jacked their prices more, some would stop going there and some wouldn't. Others will go for their first time and maybe keep going if they like it and can afford it. If Starbucks raised their prices too high, more will stop going, fewer will go and return, and they would lose money. I'm pretty sure they are aware of that and plan pricing accordingly.​
Strangely enough...WDW is one the few places that I actually do drink Starbucks at :scratchin

My point is that those people will be joining whether others quit going or not. In other words if 10 people go and 2 quit going while 2 start going the total stays the same. If those 2 don't quit going then the total goes up to 12.

This is of course not desirable ;) but the comment that others will take their place is meaningless IMO.

Yes, that. And anyone who thinks Disney doesn't want all 12 of them is kidding themselves

We don't have access to the detailed numbers, plans or strategies of Disney Parks. I assume they have a business strategy and are executing on it. I'm not going to play armchair quarterback and second guess Disney's business decisions without having access to all the information.

Of course, that's what we do here on DISBoards, and it's interesting conversation.

Got questions about DVC?
Visit the DVC Information Center in the DVC Forums for the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.
It is interesting playing armchair quarterback. My only point is record attendance doesn't guarantee future success. The last time it took more than 20 years to reach that point again.

What I don't understand.....and maybe this thread isn't the place.....but the topics have shifted so much I'll throw it out. What I don't understand is the commentary here that at US there is so much less to do. I have never been there, but I have been to Disney, and really, HS and Epcot, IMO, don't have a ton to do. Is either of the US parks less than those?
I'll share this -- I waited until just before I left Florida to go to US/IOA, and I kicked myself squarely in my own backside for having done so.

In a stunning announcement today, Disney stated they are renaming their "Magic Your Way" tickets to:

http://i235.*************************************Misc/disney-world-ticket.png​

And they've released the new pricing scheme, which Disney states will reduce overcrowding in the parks.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/NewDisTicketPrices_1.png​

Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.

Last edited:

In a stunning announcement today, Disney stated they are renaming their "Magic Your Way" tickets to:

And they've released the new pricing scheme, which Disney states will reduce overcrowding in the parks.

I'm OK with that...

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I was going to like that post, but somehow I just can't......

There are already plenty of people who go to WDW 6 times a year and plenty more who only go once every 6 years. My daughter and husband would like to have a nice steak a couple of times a week but when the price went to at least 12.99 per lb we cut back. Same thing with Disney. If you think you can't afford the new prices then you really just can't afford to go as often as you have in the past, or its no longer worth the cost to you.

People who still want to go will save a little more or a little longer or go less often.

Yes. However, my post simply stated that A little sympathy for those posting that they can't or don't want to go anymore would be nice.

Unfortunately there would be many people that would pay those prices to get in. I live in Seattle and am continually shocked how many people here have money burning holes in their pockets. They spend money like they only have a few months to live.

Unfortunately there would be many people that would pay those prices to get in. I live in Seattle and am continually shocked how many people here have money burning holes in their pockets. They spend money like they only have a few months to live.

Or....we save up to take the type of WDW vacation we enjoy every few years.

Yes. However, my post simply stated that A little sympathy for those posting that they can't or don't want to go anymore would be nice.

DH really wants a new Audi but car prices have risen so much we can no longer afford one. Your sympathy is much appreciated. Oh and last year when we got a puppy I really wanted a S1500 Frenchie but we had to settle for a mutt from the Humane Society instead. Do you feel sorry for me? Do you have a Coach bag? I want a Coach bag but I have to buy knock offs instead ... and generic butter ... and ...

DH really wants a new Audi but car prices have risen so much we can no longer afford one. Your sympathy is much appreciated. Oh and last year when we got a puppy I really wanted a S1500 Frenchie but we had to settle for a mutt from the Humane Society instead. Do you feel sorry for me? Do you have a Coach bag? I want a Coach bag but I have to buy knock offs instead ... and generic butter ... and ...

As this is a Disney fan site, on this thread, my sympathies are directed to those who share my love of Disney, have been enjoying Disney up till now, and for whatever reason are no longer willing/able to go anymore.

Well he could probably find a great deal on a Audi now, just buy the diesel model. Why would you want to buy a Frenchie? Goldendoodles are better. If you're going to buy a knock off why not get a Hermes one? Butter is unhealthy, you shouldn't buy it anyway.

New AP cost (even for me as a DVC) has just officially put me over the "not gonna do it" threshold. Increase of $120/person = $600 for my family. Nope. $3,245 for park tickets? No way.

I always paid the increases thinking it was worthwhile. I have to be honest - they have officially put me over the edge. We have bought AP's every year for about 9 years (when we bought DVC.) Not anymore. Luckily I bought for our upcoming trip at old prices.

We will continue to do Disney...but will no longer go more than once per year. And even our 1 trip we will no longer go to parks every day. I will buy non-expiring, spend WAY more time at surrounding non-WDW attractions, make the non-expiring tickets last years, and add in Universal and Sea World to our trips. I'm sure they knew they'd lose people at some level..and they were always pushing the envelope of cost to see what (if any) people wouldn't pay. Well, my limit was just hit.

I always swore I'd not do Unversal or sea World anytime soon because our AP's kept us on property and spending our money in disney restaurants and shops. I guess it's nice they helped force my hand into other parks/experiences.

I know I'm only 1 family... but their raising the AP's by $600 for my family just cost them any future AP's from us as well as dining/tours/souvenirs for all those days we would have been in parks. I'd guess (inclusive of AP's) we spent about $6K annually in parks. That number will probably be closer to $2K now. The remainder will be spent on other attractions and restaurants outside of WDW.

As well DisneyFan2Kids... there is a world of other family escapes (in the usa and abroad) out for you and hubby and the kids to enjoy. Save Disney for an every once in a while visit. Many of us make "INVESTMENTS" into our Disney Vacations because we feel it's worth it. But like you said... at some point (depending on how you do it - I'm not an AP holder) - the price just isn't worth it. When you reach that point the other options out there can be a world of fun. At least with Disney you can say - been there, done that.

Last edited:
I'll share this -- I waited until just before I left Florida to go to US/IOA, and I kicked myself squarely in my own backside for having done so.

Our first 3 days this year will be at US/IOA, and after reading a bit about it, we wondered how this would change our view of Disney during the remainder of the vacation.

Seriously? Not sure why you feel that way. I stay at Pop, a lot. I own DVC, at BWV and BLT. I can afford to stay just about anywhere I want at WDW. For me, the deluxe resorts aren't worth the extra money unless I'm not going to the parks very often. The moderates are nice, but not sure they're worth the addtl money over a value resort. I refuse to stay at an All Star resort though. I like AoA, but find the LM rooms to be overprices...yeah, they're nice and all, but having stayed there twice, don't feel the need to go back. If I'm at WDW on my own, I love staying at Pop!! Fits my needs perfectly! So NOT a piece of crap.

I've found Pop for under $90 recently. No, not on a weekend night though.

Thread is getting hysterical. Do I care about park attendance numbers? Nope, not really. I know, pretty well anyway, what times of year are going to fit my needs at WDW. You aren't going to see me there over NYE. Or over Christmas. Yes, if my dd works at WDW next fall, I'll be visiting her. And maybe for Christmas. But, I doubt I'll be in a park during that time, unless it's very early, or very late in the day. Not to mention that I'll have to buy addtl park passes since my 'gold' AP won't work on those days. A lose-lose situation for me.
I don't much care about why Disney is raising prices. What I do care about is how it impacts my 'experience'. I kept my mouth shut when they stopped allowing guests to 'stockpile' FPs...it was a wonderful thing, and yes, I did it on occasion. I kept my mouth shut when they went with FP+..it has negatively impacted my visits. With FP+, it makes other attractions, that normally didn't have long lines, have lines of at least 25 mins. I mean, seriously....who waits in line for 25 mins to ride Small World?! When the People Mover has a huge line....again, seriously? And the reason for this would be guests killing time until their next FP+ time opened.
As for planning, months ahead, vs no planning until you get there? Stop and listen to guests sometime. Yes, eavesdrop. I've heard more unhappy guests in my last 5 trips than ever before. They had no idea they had to book the FP before leaving home. They had no idea they had to book a restaurant...someone told them there were tables held for walkins. They had no idea that 'such and such attraction' was shut down for months for a rehab. I could go on and on. I've been saying it for 15 years....WDW is no place for spontaneity. You either plan ahead or you lower your expectations. How many people have come here to ask how long it takes to walk from MK to DHS? More times than I care to remember!! They had been to DL and thought it was the same thing...you can walk between parks.
Bookstores are full of Disney guidebooks. It seems like a good idea to spend the $15 in order to have a better, more informed trip.

The vast majority of people don't care about attendance numbers, now or 10 years ago. What some of us do care about it the 'experience' we are going to have. And those of us that have been going to WDW for more than 5 yrs. have seen changes...not such great changes. Two parks that have been almost emptied....Innoventions in Epcot is just sad..used to be fun. And DHS? Well, that needs no discussion. Sure, things are being built..or will be soon. But, to raise prices now, with so much emptiness? Just seems wrong. So much has been taken away, yet costs are higher. I truly think that's the issue so many of us have. We know what we're 'missing'. Those that have been going to WDW for 5 years have no idea how it 'used' to be. No, I don't believe we can go backwards.....but geez, give us something to feel good about if you expect us to pay those prices!! Why is Disney raising prices? Pretty much because they can. I think there is a lot of over-thinking going on here. Disney knows that people will continue paying. They aren't raising costs so much that people will say they aren't going. Disney knows what the limits are. So, why are so many of us complaining? Because we're paying more for a lesser experience.
I've gotten those surveys....sometimes two after a visit. Yet, I've never gotten one concerning ticket costs. Could be because I've been an AP holder for at least 10 yrs now...I obviously don't want a change to what I have. Disney seldom gives you something more for your money..they tend to increase your cost while taking something away and then 'giving' you something else, saying that feedback has indicated that this is what guests want.

And US/IoA? I have to tell you. My dd just visited the HP studios over in the UK last week. The photos she took had me in shock. I couldn't believe how alike those studios were to HP at US/IoA!!!! It was amazing. I have photos of her in Orlando, that look almost identical to the ones she has over in the UK!! US/IoA did an incredible job...I said that after visiting for the third time, and now, after seeing the photos from the UK? Believe it to be downright uncanny! If Disney did something like this, it would be worth the price increases. We shall see what they do going forward, with their planned improvements.

When we were at WDW last week, the wait for People Movers was 40 minutes- crazy.

I am interested to see how many people who say they will sell their dvc points actually do. I am not going to lie, I am one who would be checking into them to buy. Not from Disney of course, but secondary market resale .
My family loves the deluxe resorts. Do I think they are worth $400 a night? No way .But they are worth $200 to me, which is why I rent dvc . I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and never feel the way I feel at a Disney hotel . I dont know what it is, but I hate to leave . I think that is what keeps me going back. I could do a week at animal kingdom lodge, and 3 days at MK and be happy with my vacation.
Also, I am glad I didn't start going to wdw until more recently, the prices don't seem to bother me as much because I dont know the "way it was". Maybe THAT is what everyone means about replacing someone leaving....a family that has nothing to compare it to, but know they love Disney .

Don't know how many others are actually selling their points but I listed ours the other day. My husband and I both went with our families in 1973- we didn't know each other then. After we married in 1981, we began going every other year. Once we reached the year 2000, we began going annually and then at least a couple of times each year. In 2007, we bought 2 150 pt contracts because my daughter and I loved going to WDW a few times each year. I looked forward to having decades of trips with both my daughter and our future grandchildren. I'm not saying that we will never go to WDW again but the trips will be years apart. The chances of us staying onsite are slim. Bonnet Creek has beautiful condos that are larger and nicer than those at WDW. The cost for a week is about the same or a tad bit more than a Disney value resort. The only thing we won't be able to get is the DDP which is another thing that Disney is now charging more for while the offerings have decreased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter