Price gouging

Would people rather Disney just call it a resort fee instead of a parking fee? When you pay thousands to go to WDW, it is a choice. Paying for parking(or whatever) is part of that vacation.
Even worse. A resort fee applies to each and every guest. A parking fee only applies to those who have a vehicle on property. Ultimately, neither is easy to swallow when you're already paying inflated prices for average to slightly above average hotel rooms.

Even worse. A resort fee applies to each and every guest. A parking fee only applies to those who have a vehicle on property. Ultimately, neither is easy to swallow when you're already paying inflated prices for average to slightly above average hotel rooms.
In Vegas the resort fee is per room. But it does not include parking. In that case though, parking isn't as plentiful so it's no surprise they charge for parking. And the parking fee is a relatively new one. Disney has plenty of space so charging for parking doesn't seem necessary in most places. If they wanted to charge at the resorts close to the parks given the fact that people in the past took advantage in these areas, that might make sense. Or they could just charge at the resorts for day visitors.

I'm wondering if people would feel differently if they gave free parking to people who purchase packages. Just a thought.

I'm wondering if people would feel differently if they gave free parking to people who purchase packages. Just a thought.
I dislike the whole idea of the parking fee...period. It doesn't matter whether they were to offer it for "free" to those who purchase packages. And for full disclosure, I own DVC and we're exempt from the parking fee because our dues help pay to maintain those lots. So, it really doesn't affect me. I just object to the fee on principle.

I dislike the whole idea of the parking fee...period. It doesn't matter whether they were to offer it for "free" to those who purchase packages. And for full disclosure, I own DVC and we're exempt from the parking fee because our dues help pay to maintain those lots. So, it really doesn't affect me. I just object to the fee on principle.
I totally agree. It really makes no sense to add it right now with all the other increases. I would think it would work in their favor to advertise free parking.

Any fees or change in prices at Disney is their prerogative as they are the ones doing business. When you own the business, feel free to turn your profit as you see fit. No one is ever being forced to enjoy any of what Disney has to offer us. Do all of you really feel it costs airlines $35+ per bag you check? Again, they do things like this to make money, which is their right. I check into hotels all the time for work and get charged fees for many things I don’t use, but it is my choice to stay there, so I don’t complain.

I do not like the parking fee and I do complain when there is an issue. I stay at a lot of hotels. The ones in large cities like NYC and Boston charge parking fees but I can go online and find a near by garage to park cheaper than my hotel easily. Same thing with parking at the airport. I look for cheaper alternatives. There aren't any at Disney because of the geography. When I stay at places like Disney hotels with lots of room they don't charge parking.

My daughter lives in Boston. When we stay in downtown we pay parking. When we stay near her (Dorchester) we don't. Once we stayed at a Marriott in Quincy. They charged for parking there was a gate so everyone paid for parking including day guests. While we were there the gate was open. When we checked out the gate was now closed. We stopped at the desk and told them we would not pay a parking fee since the gate was open our whole stay. They said it was open because of the wind and we needed to pay the fee. We said no if anyone can park in the lot for free then we should be able to too. They agreed and gave us free parking.

My point being. I didn't mind paying for parking at any of these places because everyone paid for parking. Whether you were staying overnight or just for the day. What makes me mad about Disney is they are only punishing their overnight guests who have a vehicle. If they charged parking for everyone it wouldn't bother me as much. I also don't think it is fair to charge different prices in the same resort for the same asphalt. I know the resorts are differently priced because of amenities but the parking lots are exactly the same. I know people staying value or mod will argue with me but the parking lots are equal amenities and fees should be equal. If you think you shouldn't pay as much as someone staying deluxe then maybe someone staying deluxe should pay the same as value. Just my opinion. BTW, I booked my up coming trip prior to parking fees so I won't pay them. I voiced my opinion to Disney and I will not be back anytime in the near future because of all the fees. I would have canceled this trip but my DH was set on it.

Any fees or change in prices at Disney is their prerogative as they are the ones doing business. When you own the business, feel free to turn your profit as you see fit. No one is ever being forced to enjoy any of what Disney has to offer us. Do all of you really feel it costs airlines $35+ per bag you check? Again, they do things like this to make money, which is their right. I check into hotels all the time for work and get charged fees for many things I don’t use, but it is my choice to stay there, so I don’t complain.
Unless you pay out of pocket for your work hotel, there is no comparison there.

Parking is never free. You are going to pay for it one way or another. At least when they charge separately those people who do not bring a car are not paying. The only fair thing to do is the only charge people who are using the services.

Parking is never free. You are going to pay for it one way or another. At least when they charge separately those people who do not bring a car are not paying. The only fair thing to do is the only charge people who are using the services.
That only makes sense if they are reducing hotel rates accordingly by removing the parking fee from the rate calculation. I think we all know that when it comes to a room rate we're likely paying for something somewhere built into the rate that we aren't utilizing. I doubt that when they made the decision to charge for parking they also made the decision to remove parking from their room rate calculation. In other words I don't think it was a tit for tat situation.

Resort fees, as much as I hate them, are not fair either. They'll charge for things that include things someone won't be utilizing. If I never go to the pool why should I pay for that, if I never use wifi why should I pay for that, etc etc.

Sure there is a huge comparison. I have a budget that I mange, it's not some bottomless pit. Most business have policies and limits on how much you can spend.
It really depends on the business.

My husband's company for example has preferred hotels (primarily Hilton-branded) that he needs to book with. The rates are not the lowest either. Avis is their preferred rental car company (National used to be used but they switched to really wanting only Avis) and Avis isn't the cheapest either. Also when someone is on business/corporate travel certain companies waive certain fees. We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations (their Time Share division that can be booked just like a regular hotel room though) located one street behind the Strip. While there was no parking fee (because it was located one street behind the Strip) there was a resort fee, however as my husband was booked on business they automatically waived the resort fee. Etc, etc.

His company isn't concerned with a hotel charging parking fees or resort fees as in that's not a rule. They just aren't. Sure there's a cap somewhere out there but they are far more concerned with getting him where he needs to be when he needs to be.

I think the PP that you quoted's point is that business travel is often different than leisure travel. You may be getting a different rate negotiated with your company and X (hotel, rental car, and for Disney convention tickets possibly, etc), there may be other things that overrule pure cost analysis in terms of additional fees like parking, like resort fees, or even included breakfast, fees may be waived due to business travel, etc etc.

I think if the company you work for is very stringent, very strict with only spending X amount no matter what, etc that makes an ok comparison but otherwise it might be best to compare leisure travel to leisure travel.

I used to visit WDW every year. Sometimes twice a year. I would stay onsite, buy meal plans and 10 day tickets. My last visit was October 2013.
Is the parking fee a huge deal? Is the ticket and food increases a huge deal? No. But when you add everything up, yes, it just became the dealbreaker as to where I want to spend my money on vacation. I admit that price increases were not the first thing to turn me off of Disney Word. That was fast pass plus , but seeing all the added fees and increases enforces my decision to spend my money elsewhere.

My family’s next visit to WDW is planned for 2021 and only because I told my boys that when they built Star Wars land, we would come. But even then our visit will be very different than past visits. We will not stay onsite. I will only eat in the park if absolutely necessary and only counter service. We will definitely not be spending 10 days at WDW.

I have no power over corporate Disney as to how to set prices. I only have the power to decide where to spend my money. Disney doesn’t care where I spend my vacation dollars but if enough people make the same decision that I have they will have to start caring. If Disney keeps making up fees and upping charges Eventuality they will price out the majority of the people and they will have to rethink their strategy then. I think they will keep going until it doesn’t work anymore. Like has been said many, many times Disney is a business, it’s goal is to make money.

I feel like the comments like "Disney is business and has a right to charge xyz" aren't necessary. I think we all know how a business works and it's obvious that Disney is a profitable one.
People are allowed to complain/vent/express their disapppintment with how it affects them.
I don't think anything will change and people will still go in droves but I also know it's nice to know you aren't the only one who feels this way.

They provide a lot of jobs for a lot of people. It's called Capitalism. Their profits mean a lot of people get to eat.

And Disney just doesn’t provide jobs just for Disney, but think of all the construction workers, utility providers, food vendors, airlines, rental car companies, uniform suppliers etc. I could go on and on - for every huge employer like WDW there are thousands of people making a living off the back of Disney who aren’t even employed by the company.

Honestly, think about it, WDW could keep raising prices and not do anything but minimal upkeep to the parks. Keeping them looking nice, but static. Currently, they are in the process of one of the biggest periods of expansion and upgrades ever. To make money, they are spending money and in turn they are pushing expenses back onto the consumers. Consumers will show their pleasure or displeasure by continuing to go or going other places. There is a huge pool of people who are yet to get bitten by the Disney bug. These are the people they aggressively go after, not those of us who can say we have had a lot of visits as they already have their hooks in us. I’d rather have a fresh/new visit and appreciate the forward thinking.

I think the fee for parking basically is Disney trying to encourage guests staying on property to use Disney transportation, thus eliminating some of the traffic that is crippling the infrastructure of Disney roads. Spring brake 2017 when we were there we took a bus from
CBR (pre-construction) to Hollywood Studios and took over 45min because we were stuck in traffic. I do know on our next trip in February we are not renting a car until check out day, then continuing the rest of our vacation.

I think the fee for parking basically is Disney trying to encourage guests staying on property to use Disney transportation, thus eliminating some of the traffic that is crippling the infrastructure of Disney roads. Spring brake 2017 when we were there we took a bus from
CBR (pre-construction) to Hollywood Studios and took over 45min because we were stuck in traffic. I do know on our next trip in February we are not renting a car until check out day, then continuing the rest of our vacation.
I thought that was the reason behind offering Magical Express?

TBH, there are an abundant number of reasons that people will have a car onsite. Some people live close enough to drive instead of flying but once there, they leave the car in the lot and rely solely on Disney transportation. Others cannot deal with being in a crowded bus and prefer to take a private vehicle from resort to parks. Some are visiting other parts of Florida and it's cheaper to keep the car during their Disney stay than it is to return it as a one-way rental and then rent a one- way again after the stay is over.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the number of people who will now UBER/Lyft instead of renting a car thanks to the new parking fees.

All I can say is Disney can charge whatever they want for whatever they want. If i think it is worth it and I can afford it I will go if not then I will stay home or go somewhere else. But who am i kidding they can raise the cost or charge for whatever fee I will continue going as long as I can afford it because Disney is mine and my family's happy place.

We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations (their Time Share division that can be booked just like a regular hotel room though) located one street behind the Strip. While there was no parking fee (because it was located one street behind the Strip) there was a resort fee, however as my husband was booked on business they automatically waived the resort fee.

More accurately - because nobody wants to intentionally mislead anyone - the location in relation to The Strip is not why no parking fee was charged. Properties both on and off The Strip charge for parking, and properties on and off The Strip do not charge parking fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter