Price gouging

Have you been to Detroit? Please send business our way!:daisy:

I feel for Detroit. The autonomous car revolution is not going to be kind to Detroit. Unless the management of the car companies gets its act together they are going to be reduced to private label contract manufacturers for companies like Lyft, Uber, Alphabet, and Apple. They really to step it up and realize that transportation is at an inflection point and unless they adapt they will die.

I would be interested to know...what the Skyliner cost is?? Any reports...
Also some years ago I was reading an article on Disney World..Land...it stated that in order to control crowds....the prices would be raised...at first I thought ..really ? but i am now seeing that happen........
That could be it, but then only the upper class will be able to go. I can afford it, but it’s reaching a point where I don’t feel it’s worth the cost. I think fast pass plus really ruined the experience. You used to be able to beat the crowds by getting to the park at opening. Not the case anymore.

I look at it this way, people complain that the parks need to add more attractions, pay their employees more, etc. but that all costs money. Disney is a for profit business and needs to answer to their stock holders. Disney is doing a lot to improve the parks with new resorts, new attractions and all around improvements around the resort.

I just wont buy as much in the future, and won't be renting a car.

Isn't middle class anyone whose family income is between the 33 to 67 percentiles?

Sometimes it's considered that...sometimes it's 20-80, with a breakdown into lower middle (20-40) and upper middle (60-80)...you're probably looking at the 60+ level who go to Disney...

Realistically speaking, yes the economy has improved. And yes Disney is adding new attractions and lodging that attract guests. But just because the parks and rooms are full doesn't mean people are ok with paying more. I'm willing to bet there are more people than we can imagine who are going into debt to be able to bring their families to Disney. I put some of the blame on social media, as pointed out by someone else. We all want to give our families the experiences other people are giving theirs. That's not just vacations, but includes houses, cars, weddings, all that stuff. Nothing is private anymore.
I don't blame social media, Disney, or any other company.

The responsibility is 100% on the individual. It doesn't matter if someone wants to keep up with others - it's their responsibility not to go into debt to provide unnecessary luxuries.

I am still confused as to why everyone is defending Disney’s position. Raising prices is uncalled for we all know that so why are you defending Disney’s corporate machine

I'm confused by your attitude, Disney is a business with shareholders and profits are required to keep those shareholders. If they all sold up Disney would be in bad shape.

Disney exists to make money no other reason. It isn't in the business of making families happy or memories for you it exists to make a profit. If it didn't it wouldn't. And Disney profits have been well down in the last couple of years.

And in fairness to Disney they do not price gouge, they charge with they can get for what they sell. Their prices are similar to other theme parks they do not stand out.

Like anything else, Disney sets prices based on what people will pay. Prices will continue to rise until people vote with their feet and vacation elsewhere. Supply and Demand at work. I don't like it and may have to forgo Disney in the future but it is what it is.

Like anything else, Disney sets prices based on what people will pay. Prices will continue to rise until people vote with their feet and vacation elsewhere. Supply and Demand at work. I don't like it and may have to forgo Disney in the future but it is what it is.
This is exactly right. I understand the sense of loss people feel when they can no longer afford it or feel that it's not worth the cost, but there's lots new Disney families to replace us. They don't know any better.

I agree that it is crazy with charging for parking, but that being said, they are falling in line with the rest of the resorts around the country. Universal charges $35 a day. You just have to pay the price when you go on vacation to the popular parks. We are going in January for a week and have handicap plates so we can park for free. I feel for everyone else.

I find it interesting that people complain about parking. I get it. It's an added expense that no one wants to pay.

But all other theme parks charge for parking. All hotels around me do. All sporting events and concerts.

Heck, I even have to pay to park on the streets by me. $4 for 2 hours!

I find it interesting that people complain about parking. I get it. It's an added expense that no one wants to pay.

But all other theme parks charge for parking. All hotels around me do. All sporting events and concerts.

I think it has to do with being charged, in most cases, an outrageous fee for something that was once free with your resort stay. I also find it somewhat insulting that the parking fee is graduated based on the resort type - more per night for deluxe resorts, less for values. Yet in many cases, parking at the value resorts is much more convenient to your hotel room than it is at the deluxe resorts.

I think it has to do with being charged, in most cases, an outrageous fee for something that was once free with your resort stay. I also find it somewhat insulting that the parking fee is graduated based on the resort type - more per night for deluxe resorts, less for values. Yet in many cases, parking at the value resorts is much more convenient to your hotel room than it is at the deluxe resorts.
That's how virtually everything in the world is though. Parking used to be free almost everywhere that now charges parking. Same with a lot of other amenities and luxuries in the world.

Disney's bears ways more grief for it.

Charging more based on resort type is pretty bogus though.

That's how virtually everything in the world is though. Parking used to be free almost everywhere that now charges parking. Same with a lot of other amenities and luxuries in the world.

Disney's bears ways more grief for it.

Charging more based on resort type is pretty bogus though.
I think that Disney gets more grief for it because you're already paying a premium for your room, you're staying more than a night or two hence that fee adds a considerable cost, there are no guarantees that you will find an available space just because you're paying to park (I'm looking at YOU, BWV/BWI!), and there has been no enhancements that warrant the new fee. Unlike the increase in ticket prices where Disney has added new attractions, the parking situation has not changed.

There is a whole big world out there to vacation with a wide range of price tags. No one has to go to WDW. We never could afford it when I was a kid and some of our cheap camping vacations were the highlight of my childhood. We have done Disney trips on a budget too - staying offsite, driving, shortened stay and packing food. We only go every few years and save accordingly. We live frugally - no new cars and phones every year, no manicures and designer clothes. It’s all individual concerning everyone’s priorities.

If you’re stating that I am trying to stir the pot you are 100% correct. If enough of us who go every year complain then maybe they will listen!!! But I highly doubt it!!!!
Please tell me that you don't actually believe this... right? Rant all you want they are not going to lower prices. You are at Disney right now, as you say "feeding the corporate machine" the only time Disney is going to lower prices, is when attendance tanks. That's not likely to happen.

I am still confused as to why everyone is defending Disney’s position. Raising prices is uncalled for we all know that so why are you defending Disney’s corporate machine
People are not defending Disney's position, but they are being realistic. Who says that raising prices is uncalled for, you? Bad news, Disney is going to raise prices with or without you. So you have a choice to make.

I love Disney but what they are doing is unconscionable. What’s parking next year 35 45 maybe even 50!!
You're choice of words seems a bit odd. From "gouging" to "uncalled for" to "unconscionable" I have to question your choice. I can't see any of the price increases as gouging at all. In fact many of the prices are fairly normal within the industry. As far as "unconscionable" if you look it up I'd disagree even more. Have you seen how packed the parks are? I think Disney is profiting from their popularity and by raising prices as they it might slow attendance a tad, but with all the crowds they have to serve their costs go up to keep things going and growing. Refurbs cost money, expansions cost money, raises cost money and investors want a good return too.

The Disney corporate executives have lost their way !! I personally think Walt would be a shame of them !!!!
Actually Walt was a pretty bad business man, his brother Roy was the one that kept Walt from going bankrupt again. I think Roy would look at this and understand the driving factors behind the rate increase.

I'm a little bummed about the instant price increases. We haven't gone in a few years and were planning a budget surprise trip on a slim budget. We decided to do this in August so haven't been planning too long for it. I wish there would have been a decent amount of notice on their price hikes, like maybe 6 months so people have more time to come up with needing more money for their already budgeted trip. Now my upcharge to an annual pass is higher, food/drink costs are higher. Luckily parking is still included in the AP. I think we'll still save money with one of us having an AP, but just have to cut out some of the treats and souvs.

Supply and demand - more people out there than ever with money to spend ...
I don't know. Do more people have more money, or are more people willing to go into debt? Our generation has more borrowing options than past generations. Or are more people just ignoring the need to save for their kids' college expenses and their retirement so they can have the Disney dream today ... and they'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow?

I have a close friend who's adopted that mantra: They're not Disney-philes, but they love to cruise, and they cruise at least four times each year. They say they have enough saved for their only child to go to community college for two years, and after that he's on his own. And joke-but-aren't-joking about how they're spending their retirement now, and they'll have to work 'til they die. Except for their cruise habit, they're moderately frugal, but they're not high earners and really can't afford all these cruises. It's their own business, but I wouldn't want to be them.

I can't relate: I rarely ever pay for parking, so the cost seems onerous to me.

I think that Disney gets more grief for it because you're already paying a premium for your room, you're staying more than a night or two hence that fee adds a considerable cost, there are no guarantees that you will find an available space just because you're paying to park (I'm looking at YOU, BWV/BWI!), and there has been no enhancements that warrant the new fee. Unlike the increase in ticket prices where Disney has added new attractions, the parking situation has not changed.
Yes, that rings true for me: You're already paying a very high price for your room and for tickets ... so charging for parking on top of this seems greedy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter