Price gouging

I predict this will happen,but it takes a while for the momentum to hit the wall. And it will. I personally think the current crop of vacationers is still going along on past price models...trying to 'make do' and figure out how to still do a vacation like in previous years...and after a year or two of the new 'reality' of the new pricing structures,and horrendous increases that are unattainable for many, it'll start to slow down.People will begin to understand there is no going back to previous deals. I predict eventually we'll start to see discounts again,but it'll take a while,how long? I have no idea but I'll wait. It's morphing into something completely different than it was,and I'm waiting to see exactly what that is. For those here who think it's all fine to jack up prices of things so quickly and so fast,that's fine for you. Staying onsite EVER if you have a car is now ridiculous. Not when you can drive 5 minutes in any direction,save money and park your car for free as part of the package.
Once the economy crashes ~and it's coming~ Disney will understand their new reality.

Once the economy crashes ~and it's coming~ Disney will understand their new reality.
Disney execs seem to have confidence that the economy will do well for a while. They have a huge expansion going on at CSR, a new DVC resort (Riviera) under construction and another unnamed resort + DVC which is going in at the old River Country location was announced yesterday. They've got SW:GE and the planned hotel well under way, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Mickey coaster in HS, and the Remi attraction in Epcot plus TRON in the MK and then there's the Skyway gondola system - all in one phase of development or another. That's a lot of investment in their product in Florida.

Not saying that a correction to the market is not inevitable. I'm just pointing out that Disney Corporate seems pretty optimistic about being able to weather a downturn.

I totally get it. Prices have increased much more than the inflation rate.

But, as someone above also mentioned with the price of concert tickets, other things are costing just as much or more. For example, right now the State Fair of Texas is happening. We went twice when my kids were younger, but we're not going back. Why? It's just as expensive as Disney World, yet the rides are crap. Getting into the fair can be kinda cheap with $5 discount tickets. But a ride on the Ferris Wheel is $10 a person. So for my family of 5, that's $50 just to ride one ride. Most other rides are $5 each, so $25 a pop for my family. Parking and food are outrageous at the fair as well. For the same money, a day at a Disney park is more worth it to me.

Also, I think that social media has really driven up crowds at Disney. People see someone post a photo at Disney, which drives them to want to get that same photo and experience. Everyone is trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I loved the deals of 2008/2009 and the few years surrounding that. We stayed at CBR on the 4/3 deal with DDP for about $2800 for 7 nights. Plus a $200 gift card. Did free dining for a week for about $2500 at a moderate. Those were the days.

I know deals will probably never be that good again.

I loved the deals of 2008/2009 and the few years surrounding that. We stayed at CBR on the 4/3 deal with DDP for about $2800 for 7 nights. Plus a $200 gift card. Did free dining for a week for about $2500 at a moderate. Those were the days.

I know deals will probably never be that good again.

We got in on the 4/3 too (with $200 gift card) in 2009. We had booked the new "Pirate" rooms at CBR. 2 days before leaving, I get a call that says they will not have enough of the pirate rooms done, so they put us up at Poly for the same price as we had booked CBR ! Still got the $200 and still got the 4/3. I think that 9 day trip, with dining plan, was right at $3000 with our airfare included.

Disney execs seem to have confidence that the economy will do well for a while. They have a huge expansion going on at CSR, a new DVC resort (Riviera) under construction and another unnamed resort + DVC which is going in at the old River Country location was announced yesterday. They've got SW:GE and the planned hotel well under way, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Mickey coaster in HS, and the Remi attraction in Epcot plus TRON in the MK and then there's the Skyway gondola system - all in one phase of development or another. That's a lot of investment in their product in Florida.

Not saying that a correction to the market is not inevitable. I'm just pointing out that Disney Corporate seems pretty optimistic about being able to weather a downturn.
All those were in the works long before current events. We all know Disney doesn't come up with an idea and then announce it a couple weeks later.

All those were in the works long before current events. We all know Disney doesn't come up with an idea and then announce it a couple weeks later.
Understood. But if there were any misgivings about the economy, some (or even all of them) would have been placed on the back burner. They did Pop Century in phases for that reason. Now, instead of the Legacy Decades which was planned for 2010, we got AoA when the economy improved. Disney apparently has the confidence to move forward with all of these current projects.

Personally, I would rather see high prices at Disney than deal with another 9/11 or stock market crash so that deals like the 4/3 of early 2009 are repeated. I want to see all of the current projects go to completion and I'm excited to learn more about EPCOT's Project Gamma (rumored to be finished by the 40th anniversary in 2022).

While Disney is following other places as far as pricing the main difference is Disney wants you to stay for the week... If you went one day and spent 600 for your family of 4 that one thing if it is 600 a day plus hotel for a family of 4 that is another.... there is just not much value in staying longer anymore which Disney for years claimed. A family of 4 can easily spend 40 a day on drinks alone and that is being very conservative-- ok you can bring your own.. the point is you are on vacation I should be able to buy it for a reasonable price... again Disney is just not meant to be a one day and done but that is where the pricing is lately.

there is just not much value in staying longer anymore which Disney for years claimed.
I will disagree on you here, especially if you are not local to FL. Airfare is a big chunk of expenses to get get to FL for most families, so once you are there you tend to stay for more than a day. Also, look at ticket pricing alone. After the 4 day mark, the price (per day) for tickets is substantially less than 1-4 day passes, so you do get a lot of value out of staying longer.

the point is you are on vacation I should be able to buy it for a reasonable price... again Disney is just not meant to be a one day and done but that is where the pricing is lately.
Define "reasonable".....what is reasonable to you might not be to the next person etc etc etc. I find it very reasonable that while on vacation I will spend more for a soda/water/sandwich/meal etc than I do back at home. Location, Location, Location. These places are in it to make money and I accept that. They "owe" me nothing once I buy my vacation with them other than they provide what they promise as far as attractions/service/accessibility.

Your right about that. But it just hurts my heart to see families whose children would absolutely love to come here who can’t afford it because of Disney‘s greed.

My family couldn't afford to go to WDW when I was little. Heck, many years we couldn't even vacation within driving distance of my home. My child wasn't therefore all dark and grim with no joy anywhere.

As much as I love Disney World it is not a must do for everyone. It is a splurge, no different from that expensive bottle of wine or a $90000 car, or weeks spent abroad.

Not everyone has to have the same life experiences. My life isn't going to be super sad because I didn't get to go see the pyramids in Egypt. Though I would love to.

Trip #6 for us was this past June. For some reason I saw Disney in a different light this time. We are Canadian and off the top we paid 35% more in exchange on the tickets, hotel and food. Our resort (ASMusic) was so run down. The carpet in our room was torn, walls scratched and even the border wallpaper was coming off in some places. On the path we used everyday to get to the busses we saw cigarette butts that were still there after 7 days. The parks were crazy busy and food was so expensive. DD and I paid oop and our one splurge meal was Ohana. We waited around 40 minutes past our adr for mediocre food that cost us around $120.00. The next day we walked over to Sweet Tomatoes at Crossroads and had a wonderful dinner for 2 for $25.00! My biggest shock was when I went to the foodcourt to get 4 small slices of bread to make pb sandwiches for the next morning (ME was picking us up at 4 a.m.) The cashier rang them up at $4 and on her own she said "That's crazy, just give me $2."

DD and I still love Disney and plan to return but we will do so differently. We will rent a car and stay/ eat offsite. The savings on that would probably pay for the park tickets and car. We will do the parks and Disney Springs but also discover the rest of Orlando. It has a lot more to offer than just Disney.

This place is completely awesome. I am just venting because they increase prices and increase prices and then they increase the price is some more. When is enough money for Disney?

When people stop going and they start losing money. It won't happen anytime soon.

Trip #6 for us was this past June. For some reason I saw Disney in a different light this time. We are Canadian and off the top we paid 35% more in exchange on the tickets, hotel and food. Our resort (ASMusic) was so run down. The carpet in our room was torn, walls scratched and even the border wallpaper was coming off in some places. On the path we used everyday to get to the busses we saw cigarette butts that were still there after 7 days. The parks were crazy busy and food was so expensive. DD and I paid oop and our one splurge meal was Ohana. We waited around 40 minutes past our adr for mediocre food that cost us around $120.00. The next day we walked over to Sweet Tomatoes at Crossroads and had a wonderful dinner for 2 for $25.00! My biggest shock was when I went to the foodcourt to get 4 small slices of bread to make pb sandwiches for the next morning (ME was picking us up at 4 a.m.) The cashier rang them up at $4 and on her own she said "That's crazy, just give me $2."

DD and I still love Disney and plan to return but we will do so differently. We will rent a car and stay/ eat offsite. The savings on that would probably pay for the park tickets and car. We will do the parks and Disney Springs but also discover the rest of Orlando. It has a lot more to offer than just Disney.

We're with you! We no longer stay onsite due to several factors including the lack of upkeep. We prefer to eat offsite because the food is much better as well as reasonably priced. (only onsite restaurant exemption is not a WDW eatery - Shula's at the Swolphin)

OP, I agree with you that the price increases have gotten out of hand. Our family went to Ireland this year for vacation instead of WDW, & for much less than the cost of a WDW vacation I might add. Also, I think @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina just may have convinced us that our next Orlando theme park destination will be SW & Aquatica!

When the economy crashes again (because economies are never stable) Disney will just have to release more deals to fill those empty rooms. The economy is booming for the moment so of course everything is expensive.

The economy is not going to crash. Sure some air will come out of the balloon but it is not going to deflate. The economy in our area hasn't turned negative since the early 1970s. There are currently 60 tower cranes building new skyscrapers in the city. Even if things slowed down and half of the new building projects stopped that is still 30 tower cranes building new billion dollar skyscrapers. Things would be growing faster if we could hire enough workers. Many people here are wishing for an economic collapse but it isn't going to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter