Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I got an email with the exact same change to one of my flights. I don't believe my flight was on a Max either.
They are reallocating available aircraft to different flights, and in the process, are changing some flight numbers, but keeping the times the same. I know of others who have experienced this, as well. I proactively cancelled a reservation with a connection, as I just had a funny feeling; yesterday, I noticed that my previously-booked flights no longer exist.

Heads up, for those booked on DME. Double-check your info on your flight numbers, as they may have changed, since booking DME, and you may need to update your Magical Express flight info.

They are reallocating available aircraft to different flights, and in the process, are changing some flight numbers, but keeping the times the same. I know of others who have experienced this, as well. I proactively cancelled a reservation with a connection, as I just had a funny feeling; yesterday, I noticed that my previously-booked flights no longer exist.

Heads up, for those booked on DME. Double-check your info on your flight numbers, as they may have changed, since booking DME, and you may need to update your Magical Express flight info.
luckily this is the first leg of my flight, so it doesn't affect my DME. My Delta flight in August however, did the same thing, as did my DD's in May, so we both did have to update or DME.

Travel journalist Peter Greenberg is saying not to expect the MAX back in the air till early 2020.

UGH! Now I'm trying to get into the mind of Southwest to book my flight in late Nov from MDW to RSW. The flight I wanted is on an 800 (not a Max 8) but I'm guessing that may be reallocated. So now it is a get to the airport at 3am or lose most of the day in Ft. Myers. When I was flying home from RSW a couple months ago my flight was cancelled and we were moved to a super early flight.

Thanks for the update! My 9/3 max flight to MDW, was switched to an 800 (I thought it would be canceled). Now I have to decide if I book now or gamble the fare a few more weeks (I don’t need credit since is last trip anywhere for some time).

To the poster who told me MKE is a great airport- thank you! I’m about midway between both but MKE is 20 miles further (not horribly inconvenient but not preferable). Right now the MKE flight is $13 cheaper and lands at same time as MDW flight.

They are reallocating available aircraft to different flights, I proactively cancelled a reservation with a connection, as I just had a funny feeling; yesterday, I noticed that my previously-booked flights no longer exist.

Yikes!
Thanks for the heads-up. We fly SW to Calif late Oct. I purposely booked NON-Max 8 flights (both legs) but now I know that even those flights are vulnerable to changes as well! I will keep a close eye out!

Thanks for the update! My 9/3 max flight to MDW, was switched to an 800 (I thought it would be canceled). Now I have to decide if I book now or gamble the fare a few more weeks (I don’t need credit since is last trip anywhere for some time).

To the poster who told me MKE is a great airport- thank you! I’m about midway between both but MKE is 20 miles further (not horribly inconvenient but not preferable). Right now the MKE flight is $13 cheaper and lands at same time as MDW flight.
If it's only a 20 mile difference I would definitely go with MKE over MDW. Not having to drive in CHI traffic will make up the time and MKE just seems better set up than MDW. Although I haven't flown into MDW in years.

If it's only a 20 mile difference I would definitely go with MKE over MDW. Not having to drive in CHI traffic will make up the time and MKE just seems better set up than MDW. Although I haven't flown into MDW in years.

We always fly out at 6am and return after 10pm, so no Chicago traffic, thank goodness!

Does anyone know why SW would change a flight number but keep everything else the same?

I got a message that there was a change to my flight and all that changed was the flight number. The departure and arrival times are the same. :confused3
It could be that they just changed the type of plane for that trip. What was the old flight number and the new flight number I can check for you and what what city are you flying from and the date

It could be that they just changed the type of plane for that trip. What was the old flight number and the new flight number I can check for you and what what city are you flying from and the date

Thanks for the offer! I think I figured it out. My flight is September 8, and with the MAX remaining grounded, they are shuffling flights around.

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through January 5th, 2019.

Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:
  • NEXT RELEASE: 7/10/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
*This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above).*

If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release". You could also bookmark this comment on the new DIS somehow (or so I heard).
FYI - Southwest has CHANGED their next release date. It will now occur on THURSDAY AUGUST 8th. It WAS previously supposed to be Wednesday July 10th.

I would stay posted to this thread as this could change again (either moved back up or moved further back at any time!)

The two primary spots where you can check this:
Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:
  • NEXT RELEASE: 8/8/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
*This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above).*

If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release". You could also bookmark this comment on the new DIS somehow (or so I heard).

FYI - Southwest has CHANGED their next release date. It will now occur on THURSDAY AUGUST 8th. It WAS previously supposed to be Wednesday July 10th.

I would stay posted to this thread as this could change again (either moved back up or moved further back at any time!)
It was still listed as July 10, earlier on Monday. It has to be related to the MAX issue.

It was still listed as July 10, earlier on Monday. It has to be related to the MAX issue.
Yeah - this changed sometime this afternoon. I had done a whole reminder post about the upcoming release on the credit card churning reddit group I'm in and of course then they changed it LOL!

They did this last release though too...they moved it back only to move it back up (at the last second if I recall) so I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on those two sites and hope others will as well!

Thanks for the update! I messaged JetBlue yesterday and they said 7/13 at noon for their release, so I was annoyed that SW was first - I wanted the option to compare! Now, I'll probably just book JetBlue for our Feb trip and save our SW points for April, because we need to fly into Tampa and can't get there on JetBlue!

Yeah - this changed sometime this afternoon. I had done a whole reminder post about the upcoming release on the credit card churning reddit group I'm in and of course then they changed it LOL!

They did this last release though too...they moved it back only to move it back up (at the last second if I recall) so I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on those two sites and hope others will as well!

They moved it back from June, but still a week later than the original (5/30 instead of 5/23) - only know this because we were booking 60+ seats for a high school marching band trip over Thanksgiving. The Band teacher took the day off from work to sit on hold with SW and I monitored social media and subbed her class during my free period :D

Southwest has a new sale! I have flights with lower prices, but it keeps giving me an error message when I try to change the flights to get the lower point price. I'm going to keep trying and if all else fails I'll call.

Southwest has a new sale! I have flights with lower prices, but it keeps giving me an error message when I try to change the flights to get the lower point price. I'm going to keep trying and if all else fails I'll call.
I've had this happen and have had good luck tweeting @SouthwestAir, which resolved the problem. You can tweet your general problem, and they will ask you to DM them, including a screenshot.

Last edited:

This is where I get all excited - log into my account, check all 7 of my upcoming flights and find that not one is on sale... ready....set... go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter