Possibly not sitting with children on airplane

So, I'm just curious here...what would happen to those of you who won't move PERIOD (whether it be preference or personal issues) if you showed up at the gate and YOUR seat was changed to a different one than you booked?

Again I'm just curious.....

So, I'm just curious here...what would happen to those of you who won't move PERIOD (whether it be preference or personal issues) if you showed up at the gate and YOUR seat was changed to a different one than you booked?

Those seats are available to those pax with Elite status or business fare. Since they are available for purchase 24 hours before departure, it's a pretty sure bet they won't be changed.

pinnie

On Northwest the aisle seats cost more, so they won't be given away unless the passenger is moved to first class.

For those of us who are frequent flyers, there are generally a block of seats available only to frequent flyers. A non-elite sees them as booked on the seat map, and the airline won't give them to anyone except a disabled passenger until a few hours before the flight. And they won't move a passenger out of them--airlines are smart enough to not piss off their bread and butter passengers.

I generally book my tickets only a few weeks before travel, so the possibility of having a change is pretty slim. Worst case scenario I'd take a different flight if I couldn't get an aisle seat. I've only had to do that once.

Anne

This is why I try to upgrade to first class with our frequent flier miles...makes flying with kids...a DREAM:yay: ...But the other 1st class passengers HATE IT!!!!! :mad:

Ducklite - Your quote "and if there is an emergency, that's what the flight attendants are for" -- would you actually leave the safety of your child to the care of the flight attendant in an emergency? Wow!!

Ducklite - Your quote "and if there is an emergency, that's what the flight attendants are for" -- would you actually leave the safety of your child to the care of the flight attendant in an emergency? Wow!!

No, you missed my point. Other passengers are not obligated to assist children--or anyone--in an emergency. The FA's are obligated to do so. A parent seperated from a child should never expect that another passenger is going to assist that child if there is an emergency.

I wouldn't leave my son's safety up to a flight attendant, which is why the one time that we were all seperated, we got off and took a later flight.

Anne

Boy I wish I had enough money to start my own airline. I am sometimes suprised Disney hasn't come up with DisneyAir yet. If I could start my own airline, I would make the planes a wee bit wider and have seats that sat 2 on one side, 2 on the other and 2 in the middle that way no one gets stuck between someone. I hate the middle seats, but you learn to deal.

Ok, I'm going to jump in here late.

I think someone just mentioned this near the end, but why does sword not cut both ways? If one customer is told that their family got separated at the last minute, then why can't another customer be told they have to move? I'm sorry but I really don't see how claustiphobia or even bathroom issues trump an unsupervised 6 or under child. Even the "I paid more more for my seat" doesn't work because thecustomer that paid for a family of 4 that got separated probably paid 3+ times are much as you did.

(and honestly I've had both problems - except my claustiphobia is more people oriented and I prefer the window so I can lean against the wall and look out the window - the aisle is my worst fear, all the people going back and forth.:scared: )

Another point - I might be mistaken, but don't f/a need to be seated in a case of emergency? And a child separated from his/her parents does not have the benefit of a f/a to fix their mask. I remember on one flight the f/a asked if I would fix the mask of the child on the aisle next to me (mom was across the aisle between two other siblings).

Just some thoughts... personally I fly SW and even when I was single I was first in line to get on in A group and until DD is 5 we will take advantage of the pre-board line.

I mentioned earlier about the oxygen mask thing from a safety standpoint. I am hoping that the person stuck next to my child would be decent enough to place the oxygen mask on my child but I really dont feel that it is anyone's responsibility except mine. I would just feel so uncomfortable having to rely on someelse to take care of my child.

I just think the arilines should come up with a differnt policy on this especially if the seating arrangement is found beforehand and the parent contacts them ahead of time. Why do we need to wait for the gate and to rely on the kindness of strangers.(Dont take that the wrong way please, I am EVER so grateful when I encounter the kindness of strangers) I just dont see why that it has to be done at the last minute and put everyone is a stressful situation, whether it be the parent, the claustrophobic adult, or the businees traveler who really likes the seat they have.

Ok, I'm going to jump in here late.

I think someone just mentioned this near the end, but why does sword not cut both ways? If one customer is told that their family got separated at the last minute, then why can't another customer be told they have to move?

Sometimes a gate agent will move a passenger who hasn't checked in yet to accomodate a family. Once a passenger has checked in with a seat assignment, that seat is theirs unless they want to move. That's why it's always a good idea to check-in online 24 hours in advance and try to rearrange some of the seats to be together, or to get to the airport very early to ask them to move passengers who haven't checked in yet to accomodate the younger kids.

I'm sorry but I really don't see how claustiphobia or even bathroom issues trump an unsupervised 6 or under child.

Your opinion. If I can't get an aisle seat, I take a later flight. A family with scattered seats can do the same thing. Claustrophobia can induce a panic attack which in turn can induce an asthma attack. My need to breathe is just as big of a concern.

Even the "I paid more more for my seat" doesn't work because thecustomer that paid for a family of 4 that got separated probably paid 3+ times are much as you did.

I can guarantee that I spend more every year on plane tickets than the family that flies to WDW once a year on a greatly reduced ticket. Frequent flyers are the bread and butter of the airline industry. And because I often buy my tickets at the last minute I can guarantee that my ticket is often worth as much as the families four tickets. SW $49 x 4 = $196. SW $199 x 1= $199 Not sure about your math, because mine seems right. And I only drink one soda and eat one package of crackers. Not to mention I fly with only one carry-on, so they don't ahve to handle four suitcases, a stroller, and a booster seat.

Another point - I might be mistaken, but don't f/a need to be seated in a case of emergency?

Yes and no. It depends on the emergency. During a landing, yes. During a medical emergency or if the cabin pressure drops, no. After the plane is on the ground, no.

And a child separated from his/her parents does not have the benefit of a f/a to fix their mask. I remember on one flight the f/a asked if I would fix the mask of the child on the aisle next to me (mom was across the aisle between two other siblings).

Which is why passengers who don't feel their kids can handle an emergency should consider taking a later flight if they need to.

Just some thoughts... personally I fly SW and even when I was single I was first in line to get on in A group and until DD is 5 we will take advantage of the pre-board line.

Which is a wise thing to do.

Anne

Your opinion. If I can't get an aisle seat, I take a later flight. A family with scattered seats can do the same thing. Claustrophobia can induce a panic attack which in turn can induce an asthma attack. My need to breathe is just as big of a concern.

Anne, I agree with that. I think your medical needs are a concern to be taken seriously

Whch is why passengers who don't feel their kids can
handle an emergency should consider taking a later flight if they need to.

Sure I can but what if I specificaly arranged this flight so thatmy kids would be on their best behavior say when they are not hungry or cranky. Sometimes I think you have less flexibility when flying with kids (if you want these kids to behave) than maybe a solo flier.

And I am not trying to say any person's time is more important than others. I just think trying to rearrange for a family is a real pain. It is real inconvience for everyone involved whoever has to take a different flight

Quote:
And a child separated from his/her parents does not have the benefit of a f/a to fix their mask. I remember on one flight the f/a asked if I would fix the mask of the child on the aisle next to me (mom was across the aisle between two other siblings).
Which is why passengers who don't feel their kids can handle an emergency should consider taking a later flight if they need to.

In my example it would not mattered what flight they were on, 1 mom cannot sit next to all three kids, when there is 3 seats on each side of the aisle. Actually that flight was was pretty empty and I was on the window and the 6 yo boy on the aisle with an empty seat inbetween, the mom across the aisle with I guess a 3 and 2 yo.

Obviously this was not a "forced" separation, just no other way to work it out.

I just think the arilines should come up with a different policy on this especially if the seating arrangement is found beforehand and the parent contacts them ahead of time. Why do we need to wait for the gate and to rely on the kindness of strangers.(Dont take that the wrong way please, I am EVER so grateful when I encounter the kindness of strangers) I just dont see why that it has to be done at the last minute and put everyone is a stressful situation, whether it be the parent, the claustrophobic adult, or the businees traveler who really likes the seat they have.

Short answer: because no one is stopping the airline from doing it this way. This method gives them maximum flexibility, and they like it.

Anne is absolutely correct -- business travelers spend way more money than the average family that travels on leisure fares, and all airlines are going to bend over backward to avoid alienating business passengers. I can tell you for a fact that the ONLY way that the contiguous seating of children will ever get priority is if Congress passes a law to mandate it.

Just FYI, the UK *does* have such a law, which mandates that all children 12 or under be seated "within arm's reach" of their accompanying adult. The reasoning for the UK law is that, in the event of an emergency evacuation, panicked parents will cause delays trying to go against the flow to get to their children, thereby creating a considerable safety hazard. The law aims to prevent that. (BTW, in test evacuations in the UK, the airlines found that it was always the parents who caused the problem. The children, having been conditioned by school fire drills, exited the plane exactly as instructed, and did not try to find their parents until they got outside.)

When this topic has come up here in the past, I have suggested that concerned parents should write to their Congressional representative and to members of the House Aviation Subcommittee (http://transportation.house.gov/aviation/index.shtml). I should point out that a new facet of debate almost always ensues from the moment I do this. There are several posters on the DIS who strongly believe that passing such a law would be a bad idea, on the grounds that it would adversely impact the ability of passengers flying in family groups to get tickets at the lowest fares. I'll concede that they might be right about that, though it has not been my experience when flying within the UK.

ugh......I didn't read all 11 pages, but I hope I am lucky in 3.5 weeks as we will be travelling with two 4 year olds, and a 20 month old. There are no seats together.....not even 2 seats together
I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed. I hope there are some kind people on the plane or they will be listening to 3 kids screaming the entire flight.

Short answer: because no one is stopping the airline from doing it this way. This method gives them maximum flexibility, and they like it.

Just FYI, the UK *does* have such a law, which mandates that all children 12 or under be seated "within arm's reach" of their accompanying adult. The reasoning for the UK law is that, in the event of an emergency evacuation, panicked parents will cause delays trying to go against the flow to get to their children, thereby creating a considerable safety hazard. The law aims to prevent that. (BTW, in test evacuations in the UK, the airlines found that it was always the parents who caused the problem. The children, having been conditioned by school fire drills, exited the plane exactly as instructed, and did not try to find their parents until they got outside.)

When this topic has come up here in the past, I have suggested that concerned parents should write to their Congressional representative and to members of the House Aviation Subcommittee (http://transportation.house.gov/aviation/index.shtml). I should point out that a new facet of debate almost always ensues from the moment I do this. There are several posters on the DIS who strongly believe that passing such a law would be a bad idea, on the grounds that it would adversely impact the ability of passengers flying in family groups to get tickets at the lowest fares. I'll concede that they might be right about that, though it has not been my experience when flying within the UK.

Way to go UK

Way to go UK

Frankly, it's simple common sense. I've tried to think of another scenario where they'll separate parents and children, and can't.

It's all about the money, and the selfishness and self importance of some adults.

It's all about the money, and the selfishness and self importance of some adults.

I have a feeling you are refering to those who won't move as selfish and self-important. Why does everyone have to jump for someone who has children?:confused3

And if you are flying and are out-numbered by your children, maybe you should have taken the fact that you can't possibly sit by them all into consideration. Or are you expecting that someone else will babysit your children? To me, that makes the parent the one who feels self-important.

I have a feeling you are refering to those who won't move as selfish and self-important. Why does everyone have to jump for someone who has children?:confused3

And if you are flying and are out-numbered by your children, maybe you should have taken the fact that you can't possibly sit by them all into consideration. Or are you expecting that someone else will babysit your children? To me, that makes the parent the one who feels self-important.

Well, I think most of the parents are trying to sit as close to their kids as possible. THAT WAY, no one else will have to baby sit their kids. So I don't know what point you are trying to make with that.

As people have said, you don't have a right to a certain seat on the plane. So common sense dictates that parents should sit next to their kids for safety's sake as well as the fact that the parent will do their best for their kids not to bug anyone else on the plane. So the adults should really move to keep small kids/special needs kids with their parents.

I imagine that the first time there's an incident on a plane in the U.S., it will become a law, just like in the UK. For now, the frequent fliers are having their say.

ugh......I didn't read all 11 pages, but I hope I am lucky in 3.5 weeks as we will be travelling with two 4 year olds, and a 20 month old. There are no seats together.....not even 2 seats together
I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed. I hope there are some kind people on the plane or they will be listening to 3 kids screaming the entire flight.

Why do you assume your 4 yr old kids are going to scream the entire flight? You have 3 1/2 weeks to introduce them to proper behavior on an airplane. Or are you going to instruct them to scream because they are not with you? :confused3 I hope you do get to sit near each other, but with 3 kids, are you the only adult? If so, there's no way you are all together - there are only 3 seats next to each other on each side of an aisle, except on international flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter