Positives that can come out of all of this...

This spring was already going to be the spring to get stuff done there's some sprucing up of our existing landscape (like fixing paver stones that are all askew for one and other things) so now we'll have more time for that.

We also finally after 4 years of talking about it put up shelves behind our tv so we could shift some stuff off of or mantle so it wasn't so cluttered. We already had the materials just had to actually do it

I mentioned on other threads planning to go, when the weather cooperates, to this National Preserve park about 2 hours from the house. Always drive through the northern part but never really stop to take it in; perfect time to do that now :)

We also plan on doing more fire pit days/nights which have been sorely lacking the last couple of years.

Another thing I'm hoping to get the urge to do now is some craft projects, especially canvas ones, some with Disney designs that have been on the back burner. I've got some art kits and different colors of glue for my glue gun to use.

I think one thing I'm thinking of is we've all found it very easy to just stay inside, watch tv, chill, but now that we're all stuck inside we'll probably find a new fondness to being back outside again..not that you can't get outside now it's just we're all feeling the 'stuck' kind of emotions.

Now that people are being forced off the hamster wheel of life that they slow down to determine what activities really bring them benefit/joy instead of rushing around to meet schedules because it is the expected thing to do. Our local news station is featuring at least one segment on the good that people are doing and not just the negative everyday if it bleeds it leads stories. Now that the beauty salons, gyms, ect... are closed maybe people will look past the cosmetic surface "beauty" and focus on the heart and character of folks instead of their looks. Finally, parents will get an insight into the working lives of teachers. If people find it difficult to deal with their child, just think of what your teachers go through times 30.

Ironically, we've added a focus on getting take out food a couple times a week in order to try to help out our local restaurants. Still trying to keep it fairly healthy, though.

We’re unfortunately in a pretty high risk household, so we’re not getting takeout. Most of what we would have been eating, on a weekday, would not have been helping small businesses, besides maybe a Chick-Fil-A franchise owner, who I’ve never met.

On the other hand there’s a restaurant we used to go to all the time on the weekends. My 3 year old even loves it there. The two owners are lovely people. He ALWAYS makes a point of talking to every single table. Really talking to them. He gets to know his customers. He’s always supporting charities and doing drives. I hope they’re doing OK. I’ve checked in on them on Facebook. He and his wife loved seeing our newest baby and telling us about their new grandson. They’re also always making my oldest feel special and talking to him.

I, also, keep thinking of our favorite waiter at our favorite chain. He’s such a sweet kid. I hope he’s not struggling right now. I hope when this is all over we can swap stories.

I’m sure we’ll go back to eating out sometimes, especially on Saturdays. I really hope I get to see these people again.

Now that people are being forced off the hamster wheel of life that they slow down to determine what activities really bring them benefit/joy instead of rushing around to meet schedules because it is the expected thing to do. Our local news station is featuring at least one segment on the good that people are doing and not just the negative everyday if it bleeds it leads stories. Now that the beauty salons, gyms, ect... are closed maybe people will look past the cosmetic surface "beauty" and focus on the heart and character of folks instead of their looks. Finally, parents will get an insight into the working lives of teachers. If people find it difficult to deal with their child, just think of what your teachers go through times 30.
This all implies a pretty cynical view of people. I’d wager most already have prioritized their time with purpose, even if they seem “too busy” to you. Having a full life isn’t always because one is striving to keep up with the Joneses. Do you believe that inner and outer beauty are mutually exclusive? Or that the gifts and talents of our fine teachers are completely taken for granted? I must say the ones I know find their jobs very rewarding - those to whom it’s just a grind tend not to last.

People have schedules to support their lives and families. I’m in an essential line of work. You know what brings me joy? The joy knowing that I do not have to worry about where I’m going to get the money to pay my mortgage in two weeks. The joy knowing that I can still provide food. The joy knowing that we are financially secured enough where I can actually think about taking advantage of some of these extraordinary vacation deals to be had toward the end of this year.

You know what also brings me joy? Those gyms you’re glad that got shut down? Joy is not being obese, joy is not putting a pound of butter in every meal and having a Coke with every meal. Joy is not having Type II Diabetes and being part of the higher risk crowd right now.

But you do you.

This all implies a pretty cynical view of people. I’d wager most already have prioritized their time with purpose, even if they seem “too busy” to you. Having a full life isn’t always because one is striving to keep up with the Joneses. Do you believe that inner and outer beauty are mutually exclusive? Or that the gifts and talents of our fine teachers are completely taken for granted? I must say the ones I know find their jobs very rewarding - those to whom it’s just a grind tend not to last.

I don’t want to speak for the OP, but I don’t think they meant the schedule part cynically. I know its a real thing for a lot of school age parents to feel like everything is overwhelmingly busy because we are get sucked into a lot of commitment and want our kids to have all these great experiences, and need to volunteer at PTA events and church/community functions and also meet the other moms for dinner and a drink....it’s just a lot. Most of the middle schoolers in my sons class are in sports 3 hours a night/at least 3 days a week, my son was at 2+hour a day play practice for 3 months, people with dance kids are running carpools 4 nights a week in my circle....it’s all just sort of snowballed because that’s what all the kids and parents are doing.
Normally from the moment I wake up, get the kids to school, go to work, get the kids back from school, run them all over town, pick them back up, get dinner, and homework, I mabye get a free hour to myself....stopping that insane routine for a week has been a huge lightbulb for me that THIS IS CRAZY for our family, and when we get back to normal we need to rethink our family’s “normal”.

I don’t want to speak for the OP, but I don’t think they meant the schedule part cynically. I know its a real thing for a lot of school age parents to feel like everything is overwhelmingly busy because we are get sucked into a lot of commitment and want our kids to have all these great experiences, and need to volunteer at PTA events and church/community functions and also meet the other moms for dinner and a drink....it’s just a lot. Most of the middle schoolers in my sons class are in sports 3 hours a night/at least 3 days a week, my son was at 2+hour a day play practice for 3 months, people with dance kids are running carpools 4 nights a week in my circle....it’s all just sort of snowballed because that’s what all the kids and parents are doing.
Normally from the moment I wake up, get the kids to school, go to work, get the kids back from school, run them all over town, pick them back up, get dinner, and homework, I mabye get a free hour to myself....stopping that insane routine for a week has been a huge lightbulb for me that THIS IS CRAZY for our family, and when we get back to normal we need to rethink our family’s “normal”.
In that case, if you are by your own admission needing to make some course corrections to optimize your satisfaction with life, I hope you are able to do so. I wish you well. :flower3:

For those who are avoiding chain restaurants, keep in mind that they are employing the people in your community. It’s not just robots out there by corporate to make food. And some of them franchises owned by someone in your community, and that person’s only source of income. If those places shut down, the workers don’t get paid.

I am hoping the positives that will come out of this is hopefully people will learn to slow down and enjoy life more. Instead of putting little Johnny in 5 different after school activities maybe make it 1. Use the extra time to slow down and enjoy life. Maybe take the extra money from those activities and use it for an extra trip somewhere or a seasons pass to your regional theme park.

My weekends are not overscheduled for awhile and I can take some time to relax. Life is slowing down a bit so maybe people can chill a bit and take a breath and think about what is really important in their lives. People seem more friendly (social distancing of course) and we are talking with neighbors we never really talked with before. We are supporting our local small businesses with takeout and going to a local supermarket that is a small business. I agree with the respite from the campaigning.

I'm knocking out a bunch of my list on Netflix.
We're kinda exploring things we wouldn't have. I mean my husband and I like documentary stuff and Netflix is a good place for that Now will be a good time to watch some of those that might have been reserved for more lazy weekends here and there and we've got some tv shows that were stacked up on our lists that we can go to but we're also branching out.

Just watched a 10min video on coffee on Curiosity Stream. Pretty informative too in just that short video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter