Please TIP, for goodness sake.

The only people who think tipping is hard, is the people that set up all these weird rules for tipping. Someone helps you with your bags, couple bucks. Big giant number at the bottom of my check, 20%. I leave $5 every morning for house keeping.

I mean whatever, you people can do all the odd math and figure out exactly how much is 15 or 20% or engage in a social experiment by judging a waiter whether or not they deserve 10 15 20 18 percent.

Figuring out pre-tax? 7% sales tax on a $200 check is $14. That's an extra $2. An extra buck on a $100 check. That extra dollar should kill you.

Tipping threads are funny.

That’s happened more than once on my rides too where I’ve been the only one who tipped the driver. I was shocked when one other guest did so on my last trip when we were dropped off at BC.

I tip generously and always have—my grandmother was a hotel maid. Tips put food on the table for my mom, aunts and uncle when they were growing up. I always had it instilled in me to tip because of that. I also worked in tipped positions when I was younger. So I know what it’s like to rely on them. I’m one of those millennials who never carry cash but I make sure to take some out as part of my packing/trip prep specifically for tipping.
I agree, Kylenne: My husbands Mother was a waitress and had to feed her 3 kids on that, so she relied on tips. I know what you are talking about,and that's why we always tip waitresses a lot, and also tip others as well. I'm not patting myself on the back, but do it because my husband has been there as a child, and it made me open my eyes about tipping. I've also worked as a cabin cleaner, where we "turned over" an entire 3 bedroom cabin in about 45 minutes with a crew of 4. So, because of that, I always tip the housekeepers too. I know I was always thrilled to get a tip!

These threads are almost always directed at Euros, who generally tip nothing because in their neck of the woods, service is included (That and/or they play dumb). Most Americans tip. Whether it’s 10%, 15 or 20, whatever they think is appropriate. And what they can afford. Frankly, with the unbelievably outrageous prices at WDW, I’m amazed folks still tip anything, Maybe Disney’s EMC shd pool together part of their ridiculous comp packages and distribute it out to food staff If this were a real concern.

Bottom line, in no universe am I ever tipping 20% on a 300% marked up $150+ bottle of wine. Food yes, booze and tax no.

Last edited:

Figuring out pre-tax? 7% sales tax on a $200 check is $14. That's an extra $2. An extra buck on a $100 check. That extra dollar should kill you.
Principle mixed with different locales.

Here Sin tax is 10% but that's not really all that much different than normal right in my area in fact some places that's going to be less than the actual combined sales tax lol.

If including all the taxes BUT not the Sin tax then your $200 check becomes $19 tip for me (well $18.95) as opposed to $14, in some areas $21 and in some $22 especially the ones with the CIDs and the like. Now the difference between your $14 and my figures isn't going to break the bank, for me personally, but giving consideration towards the variety of ways people think about things...it adds up. Doesn't matter to me if a person tips off pre or post tax I'm not the kind of person to tell someone they are wrong either way--I do say the sales tax doesn't go to the establishments and into the employees pockets but that's about it.

And yes before another person says it sure the alternative is to stay home ;)

At restaurants where they calculate and print common tip amounts at the bottom of the receipt, like what 10%, 15%, and 20% of the bill would be, those are always based on the pre-tax amount. No one excepts you to include tax in the tip calculation.
I would say it really depends on the place. That actually becomes part of the problem when one considers something a social norm but not every place is set up that way.

The machines at restaurants that have them vary. It's either Chili's or Applebees or some other place that explicitly states suggested tips on the meter on the machine are calculated pre-tax but the other place states the tips are calculated post-tax. Other places that have machines I've just learned to look to see if they state one way or the other.

Been to places that have the suggested tips on the bottom of the receipt that are post and pre-tax. Those who tip post-tax and those who tip pre-tax should really be paying attention to those suggested figures IF that's the way they do the tips (meaning look at the suggested tips portion) as there may be times you're undertipping or overtipping based off of one's normal way of doing things.

This thread could probably be boiled down to a few main points.

- The ME driver who provides an extra service should absolutely be tipped. They handle your bags or provide some value added service that stands out - Tip! (Tip per bag for baggage handling or a flat rate for value added service.)

I have never seen anything that says you should tip your bus driver between the parks and the resorts. We don't. We also don't tip if the ME driver doesn't handle our bags or provide extra service beyond just driving us to the to the resort. Again if the ME driver does handle your bags or provide extra service ... it's a whole different thing.

- Servers -- If the server provides good/great service then US custom says tip... somewhere between 15 -25% based on the service (or more if the situation warrants it.) For some servers this means a great bonus for others it means a living wage (based on reduced minimum wage for servers and share-outs to other staff.) Most servers do their absolute best and I understand that sometimes that translates differently to the perception of the diner --- when kitchen issues arise, when staffing issues arise, etc.. Remember your server is an actual human being, working as hard as they possibly can to make sure you enjoy your meal/service.

- There are some positions which cannot accept tips at all -- this is a WDW thing --- not a should I or shouldn't I tip --- if this is the case ---- send an email or stop at guest services to let them know that a cast member went above and beyond (makes it safe for them --- since they can't take tips --- and lets the employer know that the CM provided great service that meant something to you.)

- Housekeepers --- they have one of the ickiest jobs... some people are clean and considerate others aren't. For me I tip every day --- $5 per day when I'm solo or $10 per day when we travel as a family (DH and DS). We never leave our room a mess. For all of us when we arrive at the resort the first day and want to get to our room early --- it's possible because Housekeeping has cleared those rooms so they are available.

There are others we tip as well --- bartenders, bell services, room services, hair stylists, taxi drivers, etc... but these tend to be situational... Had a taxi driver who literally drove on the sidewalk when pedestrians were there --- yeah, he thought he'd get a tip for getting us there sooner but didn't --- the whole endangering life and limb of the pedestrians was really a thing for us.

I think this boils down to this --- tipping is a US custom (it's also a custom in Canada where I'm from, although I think the minimum wage is slightly higher here --- but we still tip similarly anyway.) If you're a tourist in the US follow the customs and standards of where you visit -- tipping included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter