Please TIP, for goodness sake.

Um, no. You need to tip on the total of the bill, tax included. This is ESPECIALLY true for alcohol! They share the tip with the bartender, so tipping $1/drink is exceedingly cheap (that's even cheap if you are sitting at the bar, and is really only acceptable if you ordered a domestic draft or bottled beer). Standard tips when seated at a bar are $2/beer or straight liquor pour, $3/mixed drink. If you run up a tab higher than $50, you tip 20%.

People who only tip on the subtotal are seen as cheap by servers. True story. If you can't afford to tip 20% on the total check, stay home or get fast food.

When tips are automatically included for parties of 6 or more or when you use TIW why do they base it off of the subtotal then?

When I am allowed to set my own tip I am more likely to just do 18-20% of the full total, but when tip is included for me I am unlikely to add anything unless service was really great.

Um, no. You need to tip on the total of the bill, tax included. This is ESPECIALLY true for alcohol! They share the tip with the bartender, so tipping $1/drink is exceedingly cheap (that's even cheap if you are sitting at the bar, and is really only acceptable if you ordered a domestic draft or bottled beer). Standard tips when seated at a bar are $2/beer or straight liquor pour, $3/mixed drink. If you run up a tab higher than $50, you tip 20%.

People who only tip on the subtotal are seen as cheap by servers. True story. If you can't afford to tip 20% on the total check, stay home or get fast food.
At restaurants where they calculate and print common tip amounts at the bottom of the receipt, like what 10%, 15%, and 20% of the bill would be, those are always based on the pre-tax amount. No one excepts you to include tax in the tip calculation.

https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/
Restaurants:

Wait service (sit down): 15-20%, pre-tax
Wait service (buffet): 10%, pre-tax

Host or Maitre d’: No obligation for greeting you and showing you to your table.
$10-$20 for going above and beyond to find you a table on a busy night or on occasion, if you are a regular patron

Take Out: No obligation; 10% for extra service (curb delivery) or a large, complicated order

Home Delivery: 10-15% of the bill, $2-5 for pizza delivery depending on the size of the order and difficulty of delivery

Bartender: $1-2 per drink or 15-20% of the tab

Tipping jars: No obligation; tip occasionally if your server or barista provides a little something extra or if you are a regular customer.

Restroom Attendant: $0.50-$3, depending on the level of service

Valet: $2-$5. Tip when the car is returned to you.

When did it become 20%??? Standard tip at a sit down restaurant is 15%. I adjust up to 20% for excellent service and down to 10% for poor service. Also, I tip the Emily Post standard 10% at Buffets. Not sure where the "tip creep" comes in...

"tip creep" comes from the fact minimum wage hasn't increased as cost of living has increased

"Brian Warrener, an associate professor specializing in service management theory at the College of Hospitality Management at Johnson & Wales University, says leaving a 20% tip is standard. Warrener says there’s evidence that the standard tip was 10% as far back as the 1920s. By the late 1980s, this increased to 15% and now it’s around 20%. As the minimum wage has not gone up, diners have picked up the slack with higher tips, he says. "

At restaurants where they calculate and print common tip amounts at the bottom of the receipt, like what 10%, 15%, and 20% of the bill would be, those are always based on the pre-tax amount. No one excepts you to include tax in the tip calculation.

It's definitely pre-tax, but inclusive of alcohol (though, perosnally, I may round down a bit if I know we got a bottle of wine or something that adds a bit to the bill, or take that out of the total, then do 20% of the remainder on and then add a bit more in for the wine service ... depending on if they are good about refilling my glass or if I find I have to do the pouring)

So I should be tipping $2 on my $4.25 draft if it is brought to the table? I wouldn't have thought that. we usually just tip on our total bill when we order alcohol at the table, and don't worry about how many drinks we ordered. We usually tip $1 on a draft and $2 on a well drink at the bar, what is more than 20% where we are.

"tip creep" comes from the fact minimum wage hasn't increased as cost of living has increased

"Brian Warrener, an associate professor specializing in service management theory at the College of Hospitality Management at Johnson & Wales University, says leaving a 20% tip is standard. Warrener says there’s evidence that the standard tip was 10% as far back as the 1920s. By the late 1980s, this increased to 15% and now it’s around 20%. As the minimum wage has not gone up, diners have picked up the slack with higher tips, he says. "
But the problem with this argument is that tipping is a percentage of the bill, not a fixed value. So, if cost of goods has risen, then so will the tipped amount, regardless of what the minimum wage is...

But the problem with this argument is that tipping is a percentage of the bill, not a fixed value. So, if cost of goods has risen, then so will the tipped amount, regardless of what the minimum wage is...

cost of the goods, but not their total expenses if wages haven't gone up ... so, yes, 15% now is more $ than 15% 20 years ago, but not the same amount of increase if all expenses went up driving the total menu prices up more

So I should be tipping $2 on my $4.25 draft if it is brought to the table? I wouldn't have thought that. we usually just tip on our total bill when we order alcohol at the table, and don't worry about how many drinks we ordered. We usually tip $1 on a draft and $2 on a well drink at the bar, what is more than 20% where we are.

I would typically just tip on the total, but if I knew we got a couple of "cheap" drinks I might tip a little extra vs if we had a bottle of wine (so % of bill higher for alcohol) I might round down a bit to sort of reflect the tip-per-drink amout

I'm glad I don't drink alcohol. Apparently tipping is way more complicated for you drinkers.

Not that anyone cares but i will no long look at this thread.The bottom line is you tip as you see fit ,tipping is a choice no matter what anyone says (unless it is stated).and after see how much a lot of you over tip i will be tipping less from now on (was never a big tipping to being with).I just figure you guys like over tipping so much you can tip for me, from now on .I my and a note to the bill to come to the broads to get there tips .

No, that is if you go up to the bar.

Not that anyone cares but i will no long look at this thread.The bottom line is you tip as you see fit ,tipping is a choice no matter what anyone says (unless it is stated).and after see how much a lot of you over tip i will be tipping less from now on (was never a big tipping to being with).I just figure you guys like over tipping so much you can tip for me, from now on .I my and a note to the bill to come to the broads to get there tips .

Not interested. What about the gents?

When did it become 20%??? Standard tip at a sit down restaurant is 15%. I adjust up to 20% for excellent service and down to 10% for poor service. Also, I tip the Emily Post standard 10% at Buffets. Not sure where the "tip creep" comes in...

I was saying if you can't afford to tip 20%, don't eat there. Sure, you can tip 15%, but what if you got great service that deserved 20%, and you hadn't budgeted that much? That was the point I was making. Be ready to tip 20%. Adjust accordingly at the end of the meal.

Standard tips when seated at a bar are $2/beer or straight liquor pour, $3/mixed drink. If you run up a tab higher than $50, you tip 20%.

lol.

buddy, the bartender isn't your friend, and the minute you leave he's on to the next person. you're wasting your money.

There is a chain restaurant near my house and the calculation on the recommended tip is post-tax. So don't always assume it's pre-tax.

There is a chain restaurant near my house and the calculation on the recommended tip is post-tax. So don't always assume it's pre-tax.

I also always double check those - there have been reports of those being inaccurate/overstated at times

Broads?

So much this. Typically at many restaurants you have to tip out 10-20% of your total sales to food runners, bus boys and bartenders. Not only that, some places have you doing tip share with the kitchen but that's rare.

So if you have a $100 bill, tip $20. If it's $50 food and $50 booze, and you're tipping $10, then out of that $10 the server typically has to tip out $2-5 bucks for the support staff so in the end that person is getting a very low tip.

AND! AND!

If you've doubled your food bill with your alcohol bill, that means you probably sat there longer than a typical meal thus PREVENTING that waiter from turning the table and earning additional money. You just probably made the server's night worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter