Please TIP, for goodness sake.

that's nice and good for you. i also tip the guys who drive and handle the luggage. i totally get it.

at the same time, don't be that guy who lets people's choice to tip/not tip bug you. it's your move, do it if you want. grandstanding isn't a good look either. just my $.02

So it bugs you if the poster is "that guy who let's people's choice to tip/not tip bug you"? The poster can be affected by guests that don't tip and you can continue to be bugged by someone wanting guests to tip more. Telling the poster to not have a feeling on what they see as an oversight by many guests is absurd. Everyone's personalities are different. I don't think it's grandstanding. It's a valid observation at the resorts.

Just my two cents. I think its funny that some euro cities are going the way of now allowing tipping. In some countries its still offensive to leave a tip. I think as a society we need to put that back on the buisnesses and pay a living wage, and no longer allowing tipping. You go to Starbucks and you tip but yet you go in side one at Barnes and Noble or Target and some don't allow tipping. It's hard to know when and where to tip. Its funny we are in america and we go to epcot and its still expcepted to tip around the world when if we went to England or China or some other countries and again its an instult to tip. But yet the all mighty dollar still drives.

So if you tip you are awesome, if you don't tip. That's your right and you are still awesome because its a choice to tip or not. The reason you don't tip is yours and yours alone.
In the uk in any decent restaurant tipping is not obligatory (imho) but polite if you have had a good experience but we would only leave maybe 10%. My dad did try and tip in a wetherspoons though and they aren't allowed to take it.

Is it $2 a drink even for non alcoholic drinks? We have only ever been on cruise ships and got the drinks package. In the uk we do not tip bar staff just want to make sure

At a bar? Like if you just get a soda I wouldn't worry about it ... If you get like a fancy non-alcoholic drink that requires them to mix something on the spot then I would probably leave $1-2

So it bugs you if the poster is "that guy who let's people's choice to tip/not tip bug you"? The poster can be affected by guests that don't tip and you can continue to be bugged by someone wanting guests to tip more. Telling the poster to not have a feeling on what they see as an oversight by many guests is absurd. Everyone's personalities are different. I don't think it's grandstanding. It's a valid observation at the resorts.
'twas just advice. you're on vacation. if you didn't see the person next to you leave cash it isn't worth getting upset over.

if this thread taught us something it's that people have a lot of reasons not to do it, or other methods of doing it. doesn't always mean everybody's cheap and we need to point fingers.

In the uk in any decent restaurant tipping is not obligatory (imho) but polite if you have had a good experience but we would only leave maybe 10%. My dad did try and tip in a wetherspoons though and they aren't allowed to take it.

This is going back a few years so not sure of the accuracy but most Wetherspoons my friends at Uni etc worked in made the staff put any tips straight into the till and it would be instant dismissal if they did take them. This got a lot of bad press and now they most likely just refuse all tips.

I think the reason this is the case is as follows:

Not allowing tips stops infighting among teams such as kitchen, bar staff and waitresses. When i was a waitress at the ripe old age of 16 -19 for the first couple of years we kept all our tips, then they all went in a jar and were split between all the waitresses. Then they ended up being split with the kitchen teams and management which caused lots of problems. A lot of UK chain restaurants will now split the entire pot at xmas between all staff regardless of how long spent, shifts etc which again can be a nightmare.

Also if you do tip in the UK please note that a 'mandatory' service charge does not legally have to go to the service team - a lot of restaurants keep the entire thing this is more common than it should be.. so be sure to ask you server if the staff receive the tip. These places do exist and personally I am of the opinion that it is dishonest and if they are being dishonest about that what else is going on that we do not know about.

At a bar? Like if you just get a soda I wouldn't worry about it ... If you get like a fancy non-alcoholic drink that requires them to mix something on the spot then I would probably leave $1-2

Thanks I will bear that in mind.

Do people tip for bad service or just tip a lot less than usual? I am a pretty good tipper even if the service is just "adequate". I personally tip a lot less if the service is bad and I have left no tip if the service is terrible.

Do people tip for bad service or just tip a lot less than usual? I am a pretty good tipper even if the service is just "adequate". I personally tip a lot less if the service is bad and I have left no tip if the service is terrible.

The only times I have left NO tip at a restaurant, I spoke with a manager about the terrible service, and explained that I wouldn't be leaving a tip and why. I have maybe done that twice. I just can't bring myself to leave no tip if things weren't bad enough to involve a manager. I will tip at least 15% no matter what. I tend towards 25% for good service usually.

You all sure do care a lot about what some random on the internet thinks about you if you are fighting for your case this hard.

But let me add my $0.02 to make you care even more:
If you don't tip you're a cheap POS
If you do tip it must be nice being rich
Tipping is mandatory
Tipping is optional

There, I think that covers all the bases. Enjoy your binge-tipping ya cheap jerks. :D

I will vary what I give based on service to some extent but I think for me to feel like not giving at least 15% it would have to be so bad that I would talk to a manager and explain what is going on.

As a British person, this is the thing I struggle with most. I cannot get my head around continuing to tip even if the service is bad. But I guess that's because I am conditioned to consider a tip as an extra, specifically for excellent service.

As a British person, this is the thing I struggle with most. I cannot get my head around continuing to tip even if the service is bad. But I guess that's because I am conditioned to consider a tip as an extra, specifically for excellent service.

it's just how things evolved here and that servers hourly rate is well below minimum wage as it is expected the tips will get them up to/above that minimum

We are seeing things change though - I have seen some restaurants address this different ways:
- I have seen notices saying that they pay their staff above minimum wage and that increased cost is reflected in the price of the food and that any tip would be just for extraordinary service
- I have seen restaurants have an explicit extra charge to cover this additional cost ... so basically you would get your bill and there would be an extra entry indicating this is to cover the higher wages they pay (in effect it is like a forceed tip but usually less than the 18% so idea is this gets them to a respectable level and then just tip "extra" if you want/they deserve)

Not "taking sides" here, just stating facts. Went to a mall yesterday. Went to have a sit down solo lunch Got seated by the hostess (who stayed within my eye shot the entire time, due to the location she put me in in a section near a back./side wall, the only person in the entire section, despite the main section of the restaurant having PLENTY of seating left, and people continually seated there AFTER I had been seated. Maybe it's because I had a folding Roilator, she wanted me to be "out of the way" instead of figuring how/where to put it? I dunno. I sat there for 20 minutes patiently waiting, nobody approached the able to take a drink order, and certainly not a lunch order. I finally had to say "hello" numerous times to the hostess, told her nobody had come. She disappeared for another 10 minutes, and finally a young girl came out. She was nice, but told me she was "new here". Took my drink and lunch order. 20 minutes later I still had no drink, but a "runner" had brought out my lunch order. My mouth was full of salad from the self-serve salad bar, so I could not communicate to the runner I was missing my requested mustard for my burger, and I also did NOT order the fries on the burger plate, I was subbing the salad bar for that. At least another 5-10 minutes later, my server appeared with my drink order (FINALLY - it was JUST a Coke Zero, nothing that would have been held up at the bar making it!), and a dish of HONEY mustard - BI*G difference, and I don't LIKE honey mustard, it's too sweet, but I decided to just not waste any more time at this point, and just eat it. I also had to ask the hostess to send my server over for the check, and never got checked on again, until it was presented, or offered a drink refill until then.

The point to that story is I still tipped 10% - normally I would tip 18-20% for a sit down meal. I was always told by people in the service industry that if you tip NOTHING after a bad experience, the wait staff will probably just blow it off, thinking your''re a rude jerk. A SMALL tip will hopefully let them know they are still appreciated, but service was NOT good. (Which they knew, since I had to ask the hostess for attention several times). I also did not want to deflate the young server on her first day, and since I don't know if maybe the hostess didn't TELL her I was over in that empty section, didn't want to "blame" something on her that wasn't her fault, or try to suss out whose fault it actually was - too much time out, drama, and bad karma to let me ruin my day like that. I DO hope ALL concerned treat the next customer much better.

Drastically diverse from that, I had a very POSITIVE experience in the Apple Store, looking at phones. I have never had an Apple phone before, and am VERY much a neophyte at phones in general. The young man that helped me was kind, informative (and yet didn't make me fell like I was an idiot!), and even offered some tips and advice for possibly changing cell phone carriers in the future. I did not tip, of course, but DID ask to speak to a manager before I left, to compliment the young man to his boss. I'm quite sure it meant a lot to him, because both he, and his boss, were beaming when I left. So - I think - priceless

Again - not entering a debate - just reporting 2 experiences, "a day in my life", and commenting on how I think it's important to treat other humans - especially those in a "service, or public service" position - with kindness,understanding, respect, and give them sense of validation, and valuation. With, or without, money being involved.

Last edited:
I always carry my own bags to my room. Baggage conveyance is the red headed stepchild of tippable tasks for me, so I prefer to lug my own, typically.

One pet peeve I always have, and I fully support tipping liberally, is that we (and you) do NOT need to tip the 15% or 20% on the entire bill. Alcohol and tax are perfectly excludable. Given that that is usually (at least for me) the bulk of the bill, any server that expects otherwise is wholly mistaken (unless I'm really loaded in which case I probably tipped on the booze + tax too). $1 a drink is absolutely fine.

I always carry my own bags to my room. Baggage conveyance is the red headed stepchild of tippable tasks for me, so I prefer to lug my own, typically.

One pet peeve I always have, and I fully support tipping liberally, is that we (and you) do NOT need to tip the 15% or 20% on the entire bill. Alcohol and tax are perfectly excludable. Given that that is usually (at least for me) the bulk of the bill, any server that expects otherwise is wholly mistaken (unless I'm really loaded in which case I probably tipped on the booze + tax too). $1 a drink is absolutely fine.

Um, no. You need to tip on the total of the bill, tax included. This is ESPECIALLY true for alcohol! They share the tip with the bartender, so tipping $1/drink is exceedingly cheap (that's even cheap if you are sitting at the bar, and is really only acceptable if you ordered a domestic draft or bottled beer). Standard tips when seated at a bar are $2/beer or straight liquor pour, $3/mixed drink. If you run up a tab higher than $50, you tip 20%.

People who only tip on the subtotal are seen as cheap by servers. True story. If you can't afford to tip 20% on the total check, stay home or get fast food.

Um, no. You need to tip on the total of the bill, tax included. This is ESPECIALLY true for alcohol! They share the tip with the bartender, so tipping $1/drink is exceedingly cheap (that's even cheap if you are sitting at the bar, and is really only acceptable if you ordered a domestic draft or bottled beer). Standard tips when seated at a bar are $2/beer or straight liquor pour, $3/mixed drink. If you run up a tab higher than $50, you tip 20%.

People who only tip on the subtotal are seen as cheap by servers. True story. If you can't afford to tip 20% on the total check, stay home or get fast food.
When did it become 20%??? Standard tip at a sit down restaurant is 15%. I adjust up to 20% for excellent service and down to 10% for poor service. Also, I tip the Emily Post standard 10% at Buffets. Not sure where the "tip creep" comes in...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter