Please Put Your Arms Down, There are Kids Behind You

With all due respect, I pay for my annual pass and hotel just like every one else. I like putting my arms up. It’s fun, I like the rush. Adults and children alike can be blocked by arms. In the words of Clark W. Griswald: It’s all part of the experience!

And for an example:
9B6F7EC0-4960-472A-91DC-E52E4F3A8D55.jpeg
Do you see my baby nephew? He’s in the second to last row near my sister (blue). He’s being covered up by a mere presence of a person, and the hand of a child, not an adult. It happens! We had a wonderful time, and we laugh about how chaotic this photo looks lol! So much going on! (Seriously... what is with this crazy border!) Ask for the front row if it’s a big deal to you.

We go every year and get the memory maker every time, my kids and husband are arm raisers and I am the crazy lady gripping the safety bar harder than anyone ever. We have ridden each ride multiple times and I STILL am never ready for the camera. I don't think there is ever any way that people can be expected to do this, even if they think about it ahead of time.

Oh and not to mention that 90% of our photos are crappy, we pay for the 10% that are okay but mainly for the 2% that are extraordinary!

I have seen people who are getting their pictures taken on Main Street yell at visitors who are walking in the background, but this is definitely the first time I have ever seen someone upset that other people have the audacity to be enjoying themselves on a ride lol
In the background??? The nerve. If we were getting our picture taken, I would say something to people crossing in front of us, as the foreground photobomb is much more unforgiving. But yelling at people BEHIND you? Laughable.

In the background??? The nerve. If we were getting our picture taken, I would say something to people crossing in front of us, as the foreground photobomb is much more unforgiving. But yelling at people BEHIND you? Laughable.

I know...it was like they expected everyone to detour through Adventureland just for their ridiculous family picture lol

Except that you're not supposed to have any part of your body outside the ride vehicle.
View attachment 334079

There's a sign like this at every ride, it's posted in each park's guide, and there's usually a safety message that says the same thing that's broadcast before you ride. Raising hands on roller coasters has been popular for ages, but it doesn't mean it's technically allowed. It's kind of like the rule about no flash photography on rides- it's posted, but people still do it.

That pictograph means no disco. It's a relic of a bygone era.

If your talking about the girls in my avatar pic, which is the same pic I posted they are both mine. And thank you :)

They are both your girls!!! OH wow I really love it just to know what kids are thinking when you see their faces.
Well, if we’re going to do this, I guess we should draw straws to decide who has to tell Dwayne to get his arms down on the next ride. I sure don’t want to be the one ....

View attachment 335036

Dude in the back!!!! Funny

Back before social media and the internet, trips to Disney (or any other vacation destination) were fraught with photos that didn't turn out quite the way you wanted them. Back in those days you had to wait to develop your film. "Oh no it's blurry!" Or "Dad got his thumb in the photo again!" The entitlement chip people have on their shoulders these days is beyond ridiculous. OP I get it, it's frustrating, disappointing, etc. But it's also not anyone's place to dictate to others how express their own joy..especially on a roller-coaster.

Back before social media and the internet, trips to Disney (or any other vacation destination) were fraught with photos that didn't turn out quite the way you wanted them. Back in those days you had to wait to develop your film. "Oh no it's blurry!" Or "Dad got his thumb in the photo again!" The entitlement chip people have on their shoulders these days is beyond ridiculous. OP I get it, it's frustrating, disappointing, etc. But it's also not anyone's place to dictate to others how express their own joy..especially on a roller-coaster.

Doesn’t everyone have that one family member who would always cut off everyone’s heads in the picture?

It was always so much fun to pick up your pictures after dropping off the roll of film to have them developed and see how the pictures turned out! Those were the days. Lol.

Doesn’t everyone have that one family member who would always cut off everyone’s heads in the picture?

It was always so much fun to pick up your pictures after dropping off the roll of film to have them developed and see how the pictures turned out! Those were the days. Lol.

That would be me

I know...it was like they expected everyone to detour through Adventureland just for their ridiculous family picture lol
I know you’re making a hyperbole but your comment about someone’s ‘ridiculous family picture’ really rubs me the wrong way. Family photos may not be your thing and they are not my thing, but they are very important to some families. Especially those who are on their once in a lifetime trip. It is not at all ridiculous to want to have pictures taken so they can look back at their memories.

I know you’re making a hyperbole but your comment about someone’s ‘ridiculous family picture’ really rubs me the wrong way. Family photos may not be your thing and they are not my thing, but they are very important to some families. Especially those who are on their once in a lifetime trip. It is not at all ridiculous to want to have pictures taken so they can look back at their memories.

Oh I love family pictures, but there is no way I would actually yell at people who are trying to go about their way on their vacations in order to get one. My comment wasn’t trying to put down people who want to make memories, it was putting down people who think THEIR memories are more important than everyone else’s.

Not quite the same, but I just got back from a trip to Europe with DH and 3 of our kids. We visited the Shard (tall building in London), that was on DS12's bucket list. Before you go up, they take 3 group photos, which they then put in front of cheesy backgrounds and try to sell you. It was only 7 pounds to get the internet access code, so I paid it. We get home--and there's DD12, in every shot, looking in the wrong direction! All three times!

I'm sympathetic, in principle, to the OP's issue, but if I can't get my own urchins to look in the right direction, I'm in no position to criticize other people in the photo. And it's part of the charm of vacation photos. Heck, I remember one "Splash" photo--Dh was in the front row, but when the big drop came, he ducked down, so we got a lovely shot of me, behind him, getting an unexpected face full of water.

Not quite the same, but I just got back from a trip to Europe with DH and 3 of our kids. We visited the Shard (tall building in London), that was on DS12's bucket list. Before you go up, they take 3 group photos, which they then put in front of cheesy backgrounds and try to sell you. It was only 7 pounds to get the internet access code, so I paid it. We get home--and there's DD12, in every shot, looking in the wrong direction! All three times!

I'm sympathetic, in principle, to the OP's issue, but if I can't get my own urchins to look in the right direction, I'm in no position to criticize other people in the photo. And it's part of the charm of vacation photos. Heck, I remember one "Splash" photo--Dh was in the front row, but when the big drop came, he ducked down, so we got a lovely shot of me, behind him, getting an unexpected face full of water.
Sounds like a good move by your husband. :duck:

Oh I love family pictures, but there is no way I would actually yell at people who are trying to go about their way on their vacations in order to get one. My comment wasn’t trying to put down people who want to make memories, it was putting down people who think THEIR memories are more important than everyone else’s.
There’s the rub. It just seems that this whole thread is about how everyone is out for themselves. Get lost, my photo memory is more important than your hand-waving. Get lost, my hands-up thrill is more important than your stupid photo.

There really is a middle ground:
1) Like I mentioned before. If you know where the cameras are simply keep your hands down for those couple of seconds.
2) if you want to guarantee that you get a photo with no obstruction, ask for the front row.
3) If you want to hold your hands up the whole time and not obstruct anyone, ask for the back row.

There’s the rub. It just seems that this whole thread is about how everyone is out for themselves. Get lost, my photo memory is more important than your hand-waving. Get lost, my hands-up thrill is more important than your stupid photo.

There really is a middle ground:
1) Like I mentioned before. If you know where the cameras are simply keep your hands down for those couple of seconds.
2) if you want to guarantee that you get a photo with no obstruction, ask for the front row.
3) If you want to hold your hands up the whole time and not obstruct anyone, ask for the back row.

My comment was just referring to the family who was mad that there were other people on Main Street when they were getting their picture taken :)

sorry but my grandsons feel the ride photos are importation to them so yes your hands in the air would upset them as much as you being told to put your hands down

Or this is a great lesson that life is full of disappointments and that not making a mountain out of a molehill will serve them better in life. Kids need to learn disappointment and how to deal with them. Especially over something as stupid as a ride photo. You know there are kids starving out there right? I would not enable that kind of an attitude.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter