Please Put Your Arms Down, There are Kids Behind You

I know you’re making a hyperbole but your comment about someone’s ‘ridiculous family picture’ really rubs me the wrong way. Family photos may not be your thing and they are not my thing, but they are very important to some families. Especially those who are on their once in a lifetime trip. It is not at all ridiculous to want to have pictures taken so they can look back at their memories.

I am sure the OP has tons of pictures that they took during the trip. The need to have this ONE ride picture be perfect is ridiculous. If this was their 1 and only picture the whole trip then I can see it being an issue. But we all know that is not the case. This is just one of many many pictures they have.

Just found this photo from last year. I’m the 22 year old in the back left all covered up. Oh well! That was a super fun day, the first time seeing HEA. The memories trump the pictures, plus I have legit a thousand photos from that day (also, back row for the win!)

0212A257-09EE-47D6-A28D-952B51928C9B.jpeg

I am sure the OP has tons of pictures that they took during the trip. The need to have this ONE ride picture be perfect is ridiculous. If this was their 1 and only picture the whole trip then I can see it being an issue. But we all know that is not the case. This is just one of many many pictures they have.
Or it may be the ONE picture of the first, and maybe only, time they rode the roller coaster.

Look, I’m not a picture person. We have had APs and have the free photos with it and I don’t even download the photos. However, one of my Disney treasures is the photo I purchased from Disneyland of my daughter riding Splash Mountain for the first time. She was four. She’s excited, shocked and scared all at the same time. It’s freaking awesome. I’m glad that someone’s hands didn’t block her face. You can only do a thing the first time once.

Or it may be the ONE picture of the first, and maybe only, time they rode the roller coaster.

Look, I’m not a picture person. We have had APs and have the free photos with it and I don’t even download the photos. However, one of my Disney treasures is the photo I purchased from Disneyland of my daughter riding Splash Mountain for the first time. She was four. She’s excited, shocked and scared all at the same time. It’s freaking awesome. I’m glad that someone’s hands didn’t block her face. You can only do a thing the first time once.
Heaven forbid the camera breaks!

Listen, we are only in control of the things we are in control of. Like making sure you’re sitting up front if the photo is the most important part of riding the ride, to you.

I wonder how people survived this tragedy before they started taking pictures on rides...

Listen, we are only in control of the things we are in control of. Like making sure you’re sitting up front if the photo is the most important part of riding the ride, to you.

I wonder how people survived this tragedy before they started taking pictures on rides...
Or, sitting in back if holding your hands up is important to you and you give a rip about the other people of the ride.

Or, sitting in back if holding your hands up is important to you and you give a rip about the other people of the ride.

Look, I am all about being society conscious and making sure my actions are not a bother to others. But this is not one of those cases. Rides are meant to be enjoyed by all. The goal is not to go on and get your picture taken. The goal is to have fun on the ride. If it's pictures you want then Disney has dozens of photographers around the parks that are more then happy to take your picture. It is unreasonable to expect others to maneuver around just so someone can be seen fully in a CANDID shot.

I agree. We try to me courteous, but rides are rides, not photo ops.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone on this post, but I already plan too much in advance for my DISNEYWORLD trip, I'm not going to plan on where my hands are or posing or any of the such while on a ride. This is just too much. My kids and I are going to enjoy the moment If the photo is priceless then I would keep it, if not then oh well. Photos on rides are supposed to be spontaneous not planned out.

The last time my sons were at WDW they were 12 and 10. We got some great ride pics and some where they were blocked... no big deal, we laughed at all of them because we had our memories of the ride to keep. This time they will be 18 and 16, and my 18 year old is 6'5". I can guarantee we will have some mom or dad complaining bitterly when he stands or sits in front of them at a show, for fireworks, or on a ride. He will feel badly... but I always tell him wherever we go that he has as much right to enjoy himself as anyone else. I have had to gently tell people to shove it when they don't let it go. :-) Where he can be accommodating and step back he will, but he can't in all instances and frankly, it's not fair for others to assume he will or to think he has to just because he is tall. I tell this to you all just as a reminder that people should not have to worry about others all the time... if my son had to do that constantly, he'd never have any fun. To me, asking people not to raise their arms on rides is similar to asking a tall person to move... just let people be and figure out where you need to go to get what you want.

Really? We just got back from a trip to WDW in June. Some ride photos turned out great. In some photos, members of my family were blocked by other people whose hands were raised. At no time did I think they raised their hands because they didn’t care about the people around them. They were having fun, for Pete’s sake. If the photo is more important than the ride experience, just find a photo pass photographer.

. Heck, I remember one "Splash" photo--Dh was in the front row, but when the big drop came, he ducked down, so we got a lovely shot of me, behind him, getting an unexpected face full of water.

My DS(7) asks for the front row of Splash and other log flume rides and ducks at the drop every time and cracks up after. So he's in good company with your DH.

There’s the rub. It just seems that this whole thread is about how everyone is out for themselves. Get lost, my photo memory is more important than your hand-waving. Get lost, my hands-up thrill is more important than your stupid photo.

There really is a middle ground:
1) Like I mentioned before. If you know where the cameras are simply keep your hands down for those couple of seconds.
2) if you want to guarantee that you get a photo with no obstruction, ask for the front row.
3) If you want to hold your hands up the whole time and not obstruct anyone, ask for the back row.

No offense, but #3 is not really a middle ground. What if they want to have the front row view and the excitement of hands up? And I'd say most don't know where the cameras are for #1, but even if they do - where they take the pic is usually the best spot for hands up (7DMT, Splash, ToT....pretty much all but Space). I'd think most riders don't care about the picture they just want to enjoy the ride. If you want to guarantee something that is important to you, like the picture, then wait for first row. Otherwise I'd say there are no guarantees and you shouldn't expect or even request that someone else change how they want to enjoy a ride to suit your needs.

With all due respect, I pay for my annual pass and hotel just like every one else. I like putting my arms up. It’s fun, I like the rush. Adults and children alike can be blocked by arms. In the words of Clark W. Griswald: It’s all part of the experience!

And for an example:
View attachment 335039
Do you see my baby nephew? He’s in the second to last row near my sister (blue). He’s being covered up by a mere presence of a person, and the hand of a child, not an adult. It happens! We had a wonderful time, and we laugh about how chaotic this photo looks lol! So much going on! (Seriously... what is with this crazy border!) Ask for the front row if it’s a big deal to you.

I just have to say that with all those people in the boat, I bet the person in the back left got absolutely soaked by the wave at the end of that hill. The more people there are, the greater the water displacement, and the back left always seems to get hit the hardest.

I grew up in a family of 6. Splash mountain has 4 rows. We went 2 to a row, and a single rider was in in the back of the log. She had no way to block us, but as we went down the hill, she made a duck face and went into a kind of sultry pose.
Being that it was a great picture other than that, we bought it and put it up in our living room. For years that woman's duck face was on display on our mantle. I thought it was funny.

I'm not picking on you robin it's just your comments spoke to me because I could see your viewpoint but had thoughts on them:

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve exited a ride and a newbie family excitedly rushes to the monitors to see the photo but that excitement turns into disappointment when they realize the adult in front of them has blocked the face of one of their children with their raised hands. Once it was me and I felt terrible.

A little consideration goes a long way.

I have been doing this for a while: I simply keep my hands down when the photo is taken. It’s really not difficult once you know where the cameras are and those of us who go a lot know exactly where the photos are taken. Have your hands up high before the photo, down during the photo and then back up high and proud. Your ride experience is altered only slightly and the family behind you has the opportounity to bring home a photographic memory. Those photos don’t mean a lot to me, but they do to some families.
However, you can get blocked by a number of things. A head tilted the wrong way, a taller person, someone with broader shoulders, etc.

This happens on multiple types of rides. Kong at Universal for example is not going to be as fun if you can't see the screens because of people. At WDW Safaris at AK isn't as fun if there are people around you as they block your ability to see animals, Soarin' isn't quite as fun if you're not in the middle since the distortion is a real issue, shows you go see at either park isn't as fun if there are tall people around you and you're on the shorter side, etc

You realistically cannot expect everyone around you to constantly be thinking about where their body is with the various rides on each ride or shows and you especially wouldn't have rides go out with a handful of people simply to make it perfect viewing for all.

I will admit that at fireworks viewing having parents put kids on their shoulders is a bit different in my viewpoint.

Are you saying that you don't know where the cameras are?
No I honestly don't know except on drop rides where that's pretty clear (Splash, Jurassic Park River Adventure and Dudley Do Right Ripsaw Falls).

Here's my first POC ride after they reinstalled the skull and had an on picture ride (clearly none of us knew about it) My husband is in the bright green shirt and I'm in the white mickey mouse shirt:
upload_2018-7-9_10-21-45.png This BTW was the only time the photo actually made it to my MDE account. We rode it multiple times and it only worked this one time.

Here's my first FEA ride (we're in the very back):
upload_2018-7-9_10-26-16.png We didn't know when the photo was being taken..look at our bored faces lol

And despite riding 7DMT I really don't think I could pinpoint exactly when they take the photos and video.

Honestly, I think I would rather enjoy the moment of the ride instead of constantly worrying about how my photo would turn out and that even goes for the drop rides. I enjoyed the photos no doubt but our second FEA ride I would too focused on remembering where the flash would occur that I didn't quite pay much attention to the ride:
upload_2018-7-9_10-27-11.png We're in the front and notice how just me sitting naturally (funny enough like the instruction photo a PP put in with hands sitting on the lap) the two kids behind me are nearly completely covered up and in the 3 row the baby and the woman holding the baby actually on the ride is nearly covered up by the woman's arms holding the baby and by the woman in front of the baby (her head just happened to be positioned that way but a slight movement to the other direction would have covered up the baby and the woman holding the baby).

Ride photos are just always a risk.
There’s the rub. It just seems that this whole thread is about how everyone is out for themselves. Get lost, my photo memory is more important than your hand-waving. Get lost, my hands-up thrill is more important than your stupid photo.

There really is a middle ground:
1) Like I mentioned before. If you know where the cameras are simply keep your hands down for those couple of seconds.
2) if you want to guarantee that you get a photo with no obstruction, ask for the front row.
3) If you want to hold your hands up the whole time and not obstruct anyone, ask for the back row.
People have been holding their hands up on rides long before photos on rides were a thing. It's really just part of amusement park/theme park atmosphere.

With all due respect there's not a lot of middle ground that I see in your options. I really don't even know if there can be middle ground here.

Is it really realistic for a company to have a policy where anyone who wants to put their hands up rides in the back? I cannot even imagine the lines for that since it means only a few people would be able to ride per ride car each time since you can only have the back row. Some rides don't even allow guests to request specific rows as it can add to length of lines and clog up the loading area.

I do think the suggestion to request the front row is good however I question how that would actually work in the grand scheme because of the sheer number of guests who would want to do so just to get that photo if word got out that's the trick to getting the perfect photo. It works to a point now because enough people don't care about what ride position they are in and/or accept ride photos how they come out. If enough people requested the front on a particular ride and the company the ride is in saw a negative impact on guest experience via wait times, too many requesting, etc they may discontinue allowing the option so that is a risk (as I mentioned not all rides at amusement parks/theme parks allow you to request specific rows).

Your first option just seems to take part of the fun out of actually riding a ride-i.e. having to overthink everything about it. I know I know consideration and I'm honestly normal for consideration of those around you..it's just this one IDK practically speaking I'm envisioning "oh oh this is so much fun..oh wait I think the camera is coming up better keep hands down align my head just perfect with the persons behind me (wait how are the people behind me positioned!?) for the 2 seconds {I really don't know how long just guessing} of passing the camera and then I can go back to full enjoyment". IDK maybe I'm overthinking that part too lol.

I hear you on what you're thinking but I think this is one of those unrealistic things IMO.

Who doesn't go on with the expectation that people will put their hands up? If you want to make sure you aren't blocked for a photo op request a front seat.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone on this post, but I already plan too much in advance for my DISNEYWORLD trip, I'm not going to plan on where my hands are or posing or any of the such while on a ride. This is just too much. My kids and I are going to enjoy the moment If the photo is priceless then I would keep it, if not then oh well. Photos on rides are supposed to be spontaneous not planned out.
hope no one runs thru the picture you wanted in front of castle as they are enjoying their trip also. and yes it has happened to us. and ride photos are planned for us as grandkids love them and yes it could be a first time memory. and yes we have been in front car of some coaster rides where hands were over a child's face. there is only one chanced of a first time riding photo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter