Pictures of Disney going Service Animals

Also the service dog is working and when interrupted can cause the handler to get disoriented, lost, or cause an injury. It is like someone grabbing a person's wheelchair and ooh and aah over the chair. People with SD often have busy lives and may not want the intrusion, not everyone is as nice as the people you meet on this board.

We were in the First Aid station on our recent trip to WDW and the girl sitting next to us was having her ankle wrapped.
She told us that some kids had been teasing her SD, and pulled it's tail, which in turn tripped the girl, who fell and sprained her ankle.
I think she said the kids just ran away after that.
Why on earth would kids act like that, and where were their parents???

We were in the First Aid station on our recent trip to WDW and the girl sitting next to us was having her ankle wrapped.
She told us that some kids had been teasing her SD, and pulled it's tail, which in turn tripped the girl, who fell and sprained her ankle.
I think she said the kids just ran away after that.
Why on earth would kids act like that, and where were their parents???

That is terrible! I can so see it. I have no problems jumping all over kids touching or attempting to touch Lucas. I quickly scold... and dare their parents to say a word. "Ahh AHh AHH! He is working, he is not to be touched, please". They always look at me with huge eyes and sulk away...

I have no issues at all telling kids, or adults to get lost.

I thought it would be fun to start a picture thread of service animals who have been or are going to Disney. We didn't meet anyone else in the parks with a dog, but at Animal Kingdom we were told that our daughter's service dog "River" was one of three dogs in the park that day. So, please share your pictures. I just love seeing service animals!

Disney2009167.jpg

Disney2009158-1.jpg

Great idea! We just got an autism assistance service animal for ds in June and he will be going to WDW with us in Feb. How did you handle the rides, if you don't mind me asking? What type of service animal does your daughter have?

If you all don't mind posting, can you post what type of service animal you have? We have a black lab and he is an autism assistance service animal. We were just interviewed by CNN for a segment on autism assistance animals for World Autism Day on April 2nd, I think. I can post the time and website link when I find out.

one more question, I think. lol. We are going in February. Do you all think I might need to buy the booties for our dog's feet? Our trainer from 4 Paws for Ability said that if we go to WDW we should have booties for the dogs so they don't burn their padding on their feet from the asphalt. I'm not sure if that means all year or just in the summer months.

Just remembered, I have another question. I forgot how to post pics. I have a few pics of our SD, but can't remember how to do it.

one more question, I think. lol. We are going in February. Do you all think I might need to buy the booties for our dog's feet? Our trainer from 4 Paws for Ability said that if we go to WDW we should have booties for the dogs so they don't burn their padding on their feet from the asphalt. I'm not sure if that means all year or just in the summer months.

Just remembered, I have another question. I forgot how to post pics. I have a few pics of our SD, but can't remember how to do it.

The temperature in Orlando only averages around 74° during the day so booties should not be needed. The first few weeks of February are slightly less busy. On really hot days, I use Mushers Paw Wax to protect the bottom of my dogs paws. It is easy to apply and works well protecting the paw from heat. I usually reapply a couple times while in the park. It is a little expensive but they have some other products that are similar. As a bonus it seems to help the overall condition of the pads of the paws.

For pictures you need the URL of the picture. Click on the third icon from the right on the second row. It will be below an arrow and look like a mountain.

insertimage.gif
<--- This image.
You will have a little box pop up. Put the URL/address in that box.
VOILA

As for the booties if you do not like the wax then stuff the in your bag. The thing is that the dog will be walking of rough ground at time so you might want to put them on but the expert is Kathy and some of the others who really knows alot about dogs an the parks.

Here is my try at adding pics. These are some pics from training and one of Luke working.

Lukeworking.jpg
We are at the neurologist's office here.
1stmeeting.jpg
This is the first time Justin met Luke.
lukelounging.jpg
Luke on his thrown at training. He hated to stay on his mutt matt, guess the floor was too cold for him. LOL
lukethebedhog.jpg
Luke hogging the bed at the hotel while we were at training.
theboysjustchillin.jpg
The boys just chillin' out at home.

Here is my try at adding pics. These are some pics from training and one of Luke working.
On disAbilities all are welcome like one family or community. We cry and we laugh together over things in life. We celebrate the tiniest steps of the children as well as the adults. Ohana is disAbilities.

CONGRATULATIONS ON AN EXCELLENT POST WITH PICTURES.:teacher: :idea:
:cool1::thumbsup2:cheer2::grouphug::flower3::yay::banana::surfweb::thumbsup2

I love all the pictures and wonderful stories. We have therapy dog where I work (a center for developmental disabilities). He performs simple tasks like opening doors, light switches, and etc.

Hi all,

So we met My Son's service dog last week. Her name is Ruby and she is just amazing. The orginazation is so great, they brought a local news channel and did a story about charlie and Ruby. I just got a call yesterday from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, they want to do a story on Charlie as well. He's going to have his own reality show soon LOL :rotfl:. Ruby is 10 months old and already can do so much. Trun on/off light switches, open doors, open /close fridge, and she retreives things by name as well. Just amazing. :yay: I have pics to post, I will try and figure that out tonight, not really sure how to do it yet :confused3.......I have a phone interview with the paper today I will post how it goes .... Wish me luck!!:goodvibes

how do u post pics??? i have 1 to add
First you need a host site such as photobucket. You can not use images on your computer.

Get the URL of the picture.

When posting you will see at the top a bunch of icons. The third from the right will look like a mountain wiht a stamp in the right hand corner. click on that then paste the URL then click the OK button.

Thank you for posting all these wonderful pictures! It makes me smile to see service dogs in the parks, because it so nice that such loyal, hard working helpers can spend a little time at the most magical place on earth! :goodvibes

I had a SD for several years, then we retrained him to help my grandmother out. Bodie would alert to my severe panic attacks. He'd also "watch me back" in stores so that I'd know when someone came up behind me. He kept me from self injuring once too.. I was about to do it and he very lightly grabbed my wrist and grumbled at me. Now he assists my grandma, he can pull the emergency cord if she needs help and grabs stuff she drops. He's a sheltie, btw..

We had to use booties, and have ice in her pack this weekend, as it was HOT and my SD started doing the hot paw dance.

I love seeing all of these pictures. From another end of the SD training, my family used to raise guide dogs (it always irks me when people refer to all service dogs for the blind as "seeing eye dogs". The Seeing Eye is one specific service dog for the blind organization- we used to raise with Guiding Eyes for the Blind). We loved doing it, and I miss it. If my fiance wasn't allergic to dogs (and didn't mind larger breeds), I'd try to convince him to do service dog training, especially now that we've bought a house (with a big back yard- our labs would have LOVED this house!)

Being a seasonal CM (in the entertainment department...btw, hi Jessi!), I always love seeing SDs in the parks. I know better than to ask the person to pet the dog, but I like to talk about service dogs with them.

I don't remember who asked about what happens with rides and stuff, but I hope I can answer this well enough for you. If the service dog can be seated on the attraction with the handler, then they will arrange that (for instance, the Great Movie Ride). If it is one where the dog cannot be on the ride with you, then you'll have to do the Rider Switch Out program, but instead of watching a young child, someone in your party will be watching your dog. Hope that helps!

Somebody asked me about what we did for rides with River. Well, River went on many,many rides. She really enjoyed them. For the rides she wasn't able to go on we had either my husband watch the dog (he doesn't do rides), or my respite care worker would sit with her. It worked out SO well. It warms my heart that River got to go on this magical trip. I hope we can do it again soon!

I am very interested in all of your SD experiences at WDW. popcorn:: My DS Edward, who is 8 and Brain Injured just got approved for a waiting list for a SD. :banana: We really feel that this will be a very rewarding experience for him. Unfortunately, the wait is 1-2 years. But we will be patient.

I mentioned in the interviews possibly taking a SD to WDW and they cautioned against it. They said it was too many people and too hot. We are going for the first time to WDW this Dec. and I am hoping to have many return trips. So I am learning from all of you wonderful people and your experiences. :hug:

Please keep up with your great pictures and all of your wisdom!:thumbsup2

Thanks Kathryn :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter