Peanuts, peanut free flights, and reactions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edamame has more protein than peanuts, or you could try sun dried tomatoes, as they have an equivalent amount of protein per serving. Or a plain old protein bar that is peanut free. So many options. I'm surprised your doctors didn't know that. Maybe time for a new doctor?
we lost her 18 months ago to cancer unrelated to this issue

in Japan, we had a similar issue. we had one kids mom who refused to accept the accommodation of eating in another building for lunch with the other allergy needs kids and demanded that the entire building go Peanut free. at the same time we had 2-3 other parents who were like: my kid WILL ONLY EAT peanut butter and if he doesn't get his sandwich, he doesn't eat. the first mom demanded that all the PBJ kids be forced to eat outside the main school building because HER child was NOT going to be segregated.

so whose rights are priority here?

as for me, yes I require peanuts for fast protein and no there are no substitutes as per my doctor. so again, who is worthy of accommodation and who is not on a flight?
its never easy making sure everyone is ok.. but we look at it,,your child wont go into anaphylactic shock if they dont have peanuts.. and yes I know about eating disorders that reduce what they can ,,my son is autistic and has one , but he is not going to die because he missed out on eating PBJ , where as some other kiddo could by just breaking in the particles .. I see both sides of this dilemma.

Have you considered making some goody bags with peanut free treats in them for the people in her buffer zone? I have seen parents make little gift bags for people on their babies first flight.
It would be a small investment to pass along a bit of goodwill.

Why? It's a ton of work beforehand to take all the necessary precautions of advising the airline, then everyone who works for the airline when you're at the airport. I'm not about to reward someone's being inconsiderate. For all you know, they could go through my goodie bag and still eat their peanuts. Who knows, my goodie bags could contain an allergen that could kill them. So I'll refrain from that.

Now if I were traveling with a toddler or something, I've seen ideas of handing out foam earplugs and such in a little bag. It's something you know is probably going to happen and it's forward thinking.. basically apologizing in advance.

But does your daughter need to eat the peanuts on the flight? There are not other forms of protein that could be used, or another source of calories for the 2-4 hour flight? I'd check back with the doctor to find an alternate source.

Exactly. There are other options, I'm sure.

I don't know why it still surprises me, but people sure can be rude!
I don't know if I would have been able to hold my temper if that lady did that when I was on the plane with my peanut allergic son.

Well, when I started overly schooling the lady on what she was doing and her husband looked at me and said "we get it..." and she kept eating them, it took everything I had to NOT get up. Again, there was secret service on my flight.

I don't think the problem is whose needs are more prevalent. The problem the OP had was that the woman was told there was an allergic person in her immediate area, and to please refrain, and she did not. If she "needed" the peanut m and m's for a reason, she could have advised the flight attendant of her needs, and I'm sure they would have made arrangements for her to have her peanuts in another area of the plane. Win/Win. Sounds like from her reaction when the flight attendant confronted her, that she felt she should not have to change anything to accommodate another. And therein lies the problem - she was just rude. Who would want to jeopardize another's health just because she has the "right" to sit in her seat and eat what she wants??? I like to think most people would be more considerate, but I'm starting to wonder....

The flight attendants did tell her in their buffer zone warning that she WAS ABLE to go to the front or back galley of the plane. Her excuse when in the air was "I thought it was just for during takeoff".

I just always remind myself that people on planes can be just like our "favorite" Disney guests... They're people that "I paid a lot of money...." and they'll do what they want, regardless of what happens to anyone around them.

can't on a flight since you cannot bring liquids through the security checkpoint. so it' okay with you if I pass out on a flight, which basically means causing the flight to be diverted or disrupted anyway, since I can't die from lack of peanut consumption?

If there is someone with a known peanut allegy on board, then yes, I'd rather person A pass out than person B die. I'm not sure why a slim jim, turkey jerky, cashews, protein bar, almond butter pouch, string cheese, protein powder that can be mixed once on board the flight/ tuna pouch/ chicken pouch/sardines/ or any number of other easy to transport proteins wouldn't work. Why are dry peanuts the absolutely 100% only option to keep you from passing out?

Why? It's a ton of work beforehand to take all the necessary precautions of advising the airline, then everyone who works for the airline when you're at the airport. I'm not about to reward someone's being inconsiderate. For all you know, they could go through my goodie bag and still eat their peanuts. Who knows, my goodie bags could contain an allergen that could kill them. So I'll refrain from that.

Now if I were traveling with a toddler or something, I've seen ideas of handing out foam earplugs and such in a little bag. It's something you know is probably going to happen and it's forward thinking.. basically apologizing in advance.

You make a goody bag because it is nice. I get you have an issue with this, and are going in angry. But, you need to accept that you are causing an inconvenience to other people. Yes, it is out of your control, but still an inconvenience to your fellow passengers. A bag with some fun sized snacks is hardly a huge expense or work.
Interesting that you see the value in apologizing in advance for the possible noise an infant would make, something that is not in anyone's control. But, that inconvenience is worthy of an apology in advance? Your need to limit people from eating their food is not worthy of the same consideration?

@sparky68 The point is that you can't know what they are allergic to and why should they even bother then.
Calling the person who has the peanut allergy an inconvenience in the first place is just wrong. They can't help that they have it and usually live their lives in anxiety and fear of exposure or cross contamination. It's not their job to make sure you have munchies that are peanut free on a peanut free flight. Buy something else and get on with your life for a short 2 hour flight, it's not the end of the world for you, but it could be for them with peanut exposure.
Sorry not sorry that I and others refuse to go broke putting together care packages for people who want to whine that they can't go w/o for a few freaking hours so everyone gets to a destination safe. My medicine costs enough for this as it is.

ETA: The peanut free flights hand out things for people to eat: Pretzels, chips, safe cookies, etc. So you aren't exactly starving.

But, you need to accept that you are causing an inconvenience to other people.

You must not have an allergy. I am allergic to peanuts/tree nuts and they have always served an alternate snack on my flights so it isn't like the others are going with out. I would love to eat a PB&J that was one of my favorite foods. I have also developed many aditional food allergies so I would not make up treat bags because you never know who is allergic to what.

So first off, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not, let's make sure to get it where it goes.

Secondly... I hope nothing ever happens, but...

As I'm sitting here, thinking back to our last trip, we had an interesting occurrence. My DGF has a severe peanut allergy. We chose our airline based on the fact that the airline itself is peanut free. When we were coming home from WDW, we let everyone know about her peanut issues and such (airline, gate agents, flight crew, everyone). Well, as we're sitting in the terminal, a lady has a bag of peanut m&m's. I then notice, they're in our row. My DGF goes up to the gate agent and tells them about this. The bag of peanuts was allowed on the plane. As we sit, the lady with the m&ms puts them in the pouch of the seat in front of her. The flight attendants for this airline came through, PRIOR to takeoff, stopping 3 rows in front of us, at our row and 3 rows behind us. At each stop, they say "we kindly ask that you refrain from eating any products that contain peanuts or tree nuts as there is a person with a severe allergy within this buffer zone and if you would like to consume them to go to the front or rear galley of the plane to do so." Ok, seems like we'll be fine. Well, we get over the Georgia/SC border (in the air) and this lady cracks open the m&ms. DGF starts having issues (not enough for the epi but close). I get the flight attendants involved, they tell this lady again to stop (she had the balls to say she thought it was just for "during takeoff") and she didn't. Longer story short, we did make it home, flight attendants were very helpful and very upset with the lady (the pilots weren't thrilled either... we had a high ranking gov't official on our flight, so there were definitely air marshals and FBI on our flight most likely). To add insult to injury, this lady then wiped her hands on EVERY SINGLE headrest on her way out of the plane.

My question is... What happens in an emergency in the air? I'm sure if we needed the epi, that would've hopefully helped give us time, but what happens should things go downhill fast? I'd hope an emergency landing to get medical help and a booting off the plane for the people that were ultimately responsible for the event. But has anyone ever had to have extreme measures done and what happened?

For the record, we'll use that airline again, we just had a very rude set of people (sadly in our row) that couldn't resist a bag of peanut m&m's for 2 hours...

What, if anything, did you expect air marshals or FBI to do? Eating peanuts on a flight is not illegal.

most people will comply. but there is always that entitled A hole that thinks these requests dont apply to them..>:(

The airlines work on the premise that you will have everything you will need to get you through a crisis ,, they will supply oxygen , and ask for a doctor on board if bad enough, and head for the nearest airport regardless of country or end destination ..

I work in a peanut free school and every damn year we get parents asking to allow us to let their little Johnny bring a PB and J for lunch, cuz its his right.. :rolleyes1 lucky we dont allow any outside food on the premises ,, this way we can control the allergen environment and parents cant say we are discriminating against there kid !!

What does you're school do in cases of other kids with medical needs? My son had to eat a special diet that I doubt the school would have provided. While not peanuts, it was "outside food".

What I want to know is, how big was this bag of M&Ms? I can't make a bag last past 10 seconds.

ETA: The peanut free flights hand out things for people to eat: Pretzels, chips, safe cookies, etc. So you aren't exactly starving.
The only thing I've ever been offered on peanut free flights is pretzels.

I told them to keep the bag, and keep them away from me. Sorry, I'm effectively allergic.

I've never seen chips and cookies are as bad as pretzels.

The only thing I've ever been offered on peanut free flights is pretzels.

I told them to keep the bag, and keep them away from me. Sorry, I'm effectively allergic.

I've never seen chips and cookies are as bad as pretzels.
What the heck does effectively allergic mean?

Peanuts are one of the top seven allergens. I think it borders on foolishness to bring any of the top seven on a plane. It’s an enclosed space. People want to get where they are going. Why invite a potential in-flight emergency that would inconvenience everyone on the plane because of an unexpected landing/delay/etc?

People act like avoiding a commonly allergic food during a flight is such a hardship. Flight delays as a result of medical emergencies would be a far greater hardship.

What the heck does effectively allergic mean?

Peanuts are one of the top seven allergens. I think it borders on foolishness to bring any of the top seven on a plane. It’s an enclosed space. People want to get where they are going. Why invite a potential in-flight emergency that would inconvenience everyone on the plane because of an unexpected landing/delay/etc?

People act like avoiding a commonly allergic food during a flight is such a hardship. Flight delays as a result of medical emergencies would be a far greater hardship.

I have celiac. It is an autoimmune disease. Most people don't understand how important it is for me to avoid gluten. So, it is common for people with celiac to say that they are allergic to gluten or wheat.

Gluten is found in pretzels and cookies. In fact, wheat is one of those all important top seven, you spoke of. So offering people pretzels or cookies should be as bad as offering peanuts. But I guess an allergic or medical reaction to wheat is okay.

I have celiac. It is an autoimmune disease. Most people don't understand how important it is for me to avoid gluten. So, it is common for people with celiac to say that they are allergic to gluten or wheat.

Gluten is found in pretzels and cookies. In fact, wheat is one of those all important top seven, you spoke of. So offering people pretzels or cookies should be as bad as offering peanuts. But I guess an allergic or medical reaction to wheat is okay.
Ah, I see. I would imagine you just refuse the pretzels, as we refuse the nuts. Why would you knowingly injest something harmful? We bring our own food. Of course a reaction to wheat isn’t okay, but the onus is on the sufferer, first and foremost, to protect themselves. Your post seems deliberately dramatic and inflammatory.

Ah, I see. I would imagine you just refuse the pretzels, as we refuse the nuts. Why would you knowingly injest something harmful? We bring our own food. Of course a reaction to wheat isn’t okay, but the onus is on the sufferer, first and foremost, to protect themselves. Your post seems deliberately dramatic and inflammatory.
Because I've only ever been offered pretzels in place of peanuts? And said so? I'm dramatic? Interesting conclusion.

And as I said in my post, I tell the flight attendant to keep them. I wouldn't knowingly eat something with wheat, I haven't in over 11 years.

Because I've only ever been offered pretzels in place of peanuts? And said so? I'm dramatic? Interesting conclusion.

And as I said in my post, I tell the flight attendant to keep them. I wouldn't knowingly eat something with wheat, I haven't in over 11 years.
“But I guess an allergic or medical reaction to wheat is okay.”

That’s pretty dramatic. You can’t expect airlines to have a plethora of snack options on hand to meet everyone’s dietary needs. Personal responsibility is key here. The airlines do what they can to avoid medical emergency inflight. That’s why buffer zones are set up for potentially airborne peanut allergies. It has nothing to do with guest convenience, and everything to do with avoiding inflight emergencies.

Last edited:
I can’t believe the people here who dismiss the real danger of low blood sugar. People can DIE from low blood sugar just like people can die from allergic reactions. And quickly.

Stating that someone passing out from LBC is no big deal is as offensive as saying someone who eats peanuts may only get a rash.

My BFF’s mother died from celiac before people knew what it was.

The pure selfishness of the “peanut” people who think “their allergy” is more important than other’s serious medical issues just because it is more common is repulsive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter