Peanuts, peanut free flights, and reactions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousehockey37

DIS Veteran
So first off, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not, let's make sure to get it where it goes.

Secondly... I hope nothing ever happens, but...

As I'm sitting here, thinking back to our last trip, we had an interesting occurrence. My DGF has a severe peanut allergy. We chose our airline based on the fact that the airline itself is peanut free. When we were coming home from WDW, we let everyone know about her peanut issues and such (airline, gate agents, flight crew, everyone). Well, as we're sitting in the terminal, a lady has a bag of peanut m&m's. I then notice, they're in our row. My DGF goes up to the gate agent and tells them about this. The bag of peanuts was allowed on the plane. As we sit, the lady with the m&ms puts them in the pouch of the seat in front of her. The flight attendants for this airline came through, PRIOR to takeoff, stopping 3 rows in front of us, at our row and 3 rows behind us. At each stop, they say "we kindly ask that you refrain from eating any products that contain peanuts or tree nuts as there is a person with a severe allergy within this buffer zone and if you would like to consume them to go to the front or rear galley of the plane to do so." Ok, seems like we'll be fine. Well, we get over the Georgia/SC border (in the air) and this lady cracks open the m&ms. DGF starts having issues (not enough for the epi but close). I get the flight attendants involved, they tell this lady again to stop (she had the balls to say she thought it was just for "during takeoff") and she didn't. Longer story short, we did make it home, flight attendants were very helpful and very upset with the lady (the pilots weren't thrilled either... we had a high ranking gov't official on our flight, so there were definitely air marshals and FBI on our flight most likely). To add insult to injury, this lady then wiped her hands on EVERY SINGLE headrest on her way out of the plane.

My question is... What happens in an emergency in the air? I'm sure if we needed the epi, that would've hopefully helped give us time, but what happens should things go downhill fast? I'd hope an emergency landing to get medical help and a booting off the plane for the people that were ultimately responsible for the event. But has anyone ever had to have extreme measures done and what happened?

For the record, we'll use that airline again, we just had a very rude set of people (sadly in our row) that couldn't resist a bag of peanut m&m's for 2 hours...

So first off, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not, let's make sure to get it where it goes.

As I'm sitting here, thinking back to our last trip, we had an interesting occurrence. My DGF has a severe peanut allergy. We chose our airline based on the fact that the airline itself is peanut free. When we were coming home from WDW, we let everyone know about her peanut issues and such (airline, gate agents, flight crew, everyone). Well, as we're sitting in the terminal, a lady has a bag of peanut m&m's. I then notice, they're in our row. My DGF goes up to the gate agent and tells them about this. The bag of peanuts was allowed on the plane. As we sit, the lady with the m&ms puts them in the pouch of the seat in front of her. The flight attendants for this airline came through, PRIOR to takeoff, stopping 3 rows in front of us, at our row and 3 rows behind us. At each stop, they say "we kindly ask that you refrain from eating any products that contain peanuts or tree nuts as there is a person with a severe allergy within this buffer zone and if you would like to consume them to go to the front or rear galley of the plane to do so." Ok, seems like we'll be fine. Well, we get over the Georgia/SC border (in the air) and this lady cracks open the m&ms. DGF starts having issues (not enough for the epi but close). I get the flight attendants involved, they tell this lady again to stop (she had the balls to say she thought it was just for "during takeoff") and she didn't. Longer story short, we did make it home, flight attendants were very helpful and very upset with the lady (the pilots weren't thrilled either... we had a high ranking gov't official on our flight, so there were definitely air marshals and FBI on our flight most likely). To add insult to injury, this lady then wiped her hands on EVERY SINGLE headrest on her way out of the plane.

My question is... What happens in an emergency in the air? I'm sure if we needed the epi, that would've hopefully helped give us time, but what happens should things go downhill fast? I'd hope an emergency landing to get medical help and a booting off the plane for the people that were ultimately responsible for the event. But has anyone ever had to have extreme measures done and what happened?

For the record, we'll use that airline again, we just had a very rude set of people (sadly in our row) that couldn't resist a bag of peanut m&m's for 2 hours...
yes an emergency landing with being met by medics but that person who caused the problem would stay on plane. cant say this is case but peanuts are the protein that doctor told our daughter was to use so she wouldn't be the one causing the emergency landing. so which one is more important as both can cause same results of a nonplanned stop

most people will comply. but there is always that entitled A hole that thinks these requests dont apply to them..>:(

The airlines work on the premise that you will have everything you will need to get you through a crisis ,, they will supply oxygen , and ask for a doctor on board if bad enough, and head for the nearest airport regardless of country or end destination ..

I work in a peanut free school and every damn year we get parents asking to allow us to let their little Johnny bring a PB and J for lunch, cuz its his right.. :rolleyes1 lucky we dont allow any outside food on the premises ,, this way we can control the allergen environment and parents cant say we are discriminating against there kid !!

yes an emergency landing with being met by medics but that person who caused the problem would stay on plane. cant say this is case but peanuts are the protein that doctor told our daughter was to use so she wouldn't be the one causing the emergency landing. so which one is more important as both can cause same results of a nonplanned stop
In this case, I think the airline would seat your daughter outside of the buffer zone. If she has a medical need for the peanuts, it’s probably best to alert the airline’s medical desk.

My experience has been that they seat all the PA people together. Makes the buffer zone smaller.

most people will comply. but there is always that entitled A hole that thinks these requests dont apply to them..:(
Also known as, "you can't fix stupid" syndrome.
I work in a peanut free school and every damn year we get parents asking to allow us to let their little Johnny bring a PB and J for lunch, cuz its his right.. :rolleyes1 lucky we dont allow any outside food on the premises
We have six or seven elementary schools, one junior high, and a high school. The junior high and the centrally-located elementary school are completely peanut free.

Have you considered making some goody bags with peanut free treats in them for the people in her buffer zone? I have seen parents make little gift bags for people on their babies first flight.
It would be a small investment to pass along a bit of goodwill.

In this case, I think the airline would seat your daughter outside of the buffer zone. If she has a medical need for the peanuts, it’s probably best to alert the airline’s medical desk.

My experience has been that they seat all the PA people together. Makes the buffer zone smaller.
the one wish trip we took for a grandson the request was for whole plane

But does your daughter need to eat the peanuts on the flight? There are not other forms of protein that could be used, or another source of calories for the 2-4 hour flight? I'd check back with the doctor to find an alternate source.

But does your daughter need to eat the peanuts on the flight? There are not other forms of protein that could be used, or another source of calories for the 2-4 hour flight? I'd check back with the doctor to find an alternate source.
she would need a protein and one that would not need to be kept cold. yes we did check because one of her sons was allergic to peanuts. and yes even with the 2 hour flight could cause a problem if she needed and couldn't have. if needed she had minutes with nothing like a epi pen to buy time. add to flight time the 2 hours to the airport

I'd think that it's good for anyone who MUST have peanuts/nuts as an emergency food to let the airlines know as well as anyone who cannot be seated or be near nuts - that way the airline can work out the best solution for both.

I've seen (in the past on these boards) those with diabetes say they need a protein snack and peanuts/peanut butter is their item of choice - in case of a low blood sugar. Ironically my son has both an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts/nuts and has type one diabetes. Of course we always carry glucagon in case he passes out. He is able to treat lows - even serious lows - without a problem just with skittles, sugary drinks, chips - and that sort of thing. But some protein items that we have taken are: cheese sticks which aren't going to spoil that quickly. Laughing cow cheese doesn't need refrigeration. Beef jerky is also another source of protein that doesn't require refrigeration and is easy to take along. I've also seen single serve packages of shelf stable milk. TSA let us go through security with items needed for medical reasons - a note from the doctor can't hurt though!

I don't know why it still surprises me, but people sure can be rude!
I don't know if I would have been able to hold my temper if that lady did that when I was on the plane with my peanut allergic son.

most people will comply. but there is always that entitled A hole that thinks these requests dont apply to them..>:(

The airlines work on the premise that you will have everything you will need to get you through a crisis ,, they will supply oxygen , and ask for a doctor on board if bad enough, and head for the nearest airport regardless of country or end destination ..

I work in a peanut free school and every damn year we get parents asking to allow us to let their little Johnny bring a PB and J for lunch, cuz its his right.. :rolleyes1 lucky we dont allow any outside food on the premises ,, this way we can control the allergen environment and parents cant say we are discriminating against there kid !!

in Japan, we had a similar issue. we had one kids mom who refused to accept the accommodation of eating in another building for lunch with the other allergy needs kids and demanded that the entire building go Peanut free. at the same time we had 2-3 other parents who were like: my kid WILL ONLY EAT peanut butter and if he doesn't get his sandwich, he doesn't eat. the first mom demanded that all the PBJ kids be forced to eat outside the main school building because HER child was NOT going to be segregated.

so whose rights are priority here?

as for me, yes I require peanuts for fast protein and no there are no substitutes as per my doctor. so again, who is worthy of accommodation and who is not on a flight?

I don't know why it still surprises me, but people sure can be rude!
I don't know if I would have been able to hold my temper if that lady did that when I was on the plane with my peanut allergic son.
there is one thing worse being on flight with both daughter and my grandson, her son. one who could need peanuts and other allergic to peanuts

I'd love to see any medical reports of death due to lack of peanuts. Plenty of people die each year due to exposure, but I have never once lost a patient to hypopeanutemia.

And that's the thing, people can DIE due to exposure. If you've never seen your child's face swell and heard their airway closing up, you are lucky. Those of us who have been there greatly appreciate your cooperation and understanding. And if you absolutely 100% have to have peanut, drink a protein shake with peanut protein, so that the particles won't release into the air.

I'd love to see any medical reports of death due to lack of peanuts. Plenty of people die each year due to exposure, but I have never once lost a patient to hypopeanutemia.

And that's the thing, people can DIE due to exposure. If you've never seen your child's face swell and heard their airway closing up, you are lucky. Those of us who have been there greatly appreciate your cooperation and understanding. And if you absolutely 100% have to have peanut, drink a protein shake with peanut protein, so that the particles won't release into the air.

can't on a flight since you cannot bring liquids through the security checkpoint. so it' okay with you if I pass out on a flight, which basically means causing the flight to be diverted or disrupted anyway, since I can't die from lack of peanut consumption?

Unfortunately there is no way to please everyone based on dietary needs and allergies. The most you can hope for is consideration of others and to prepare for people to be inconsiderate. I once saw someone declare that everyone should use Sun Butter instead of PB because of her child's allergies. A good friend is VERY allergic to sunflower seeds. PB would meet his needs but Sun Butter could harm him as easily as PB would harm her son. I am allergic to bananas. Most people don't think twice about eating a banana as a quick snack, and the peel is a built in holder. The oils get everywhere though and I break out in hives. In short, nothing is safe for everyone. Be considerate of others and hopefully they will be considerate of you.

I don't think the problem is whose needs are more prevalent. The problem the OP had was that the woman was told there was an allergic person in her immediate area, and to please refrain, and she did not. If she "needed" the peanut m and m's for a reason, she could have advised the flight attendant of her needs, and I'm sure they would have made arrangements for her to have her peanuts in another area of the plane. Win/Win. Sounds like from her reaction when the flight attendant confronted her, that she felt she should not have to change anything to accommodate another. And therein lies the problem - she was just rude. Who would want to jeopardize another's health just because she has the "right" to sit in her seat and eat what she wants??? I like to think most people would be more considerate, but I'm starting to wonder....

she would need a protein and one that would not need to be kept cold. yes we did check because one of her sons was allergic to peanuts. and yes even with the 2 hour flight could cause a problem if she needed and couldn't have. if needed she had minutes with nothing like a epi pen to buy time. add to flight time the 2 hours to the airport

in Japan, we had a similar issue. we had one kids mom who refused to accept the accommodation of eating in another building for lunch with the other allergy needs kids and demanded that the entire building go Peanut free. at the same time we had 2-3 other parents who were like: my kid WILL ONLY EAT peanut butter and if he doesn't get his sandwich, he doesn't eat. the first mom demanded that all the PBJ kids be forced to eat outside the main school building because HER child was NOT going to be segregated.

so whose rights are priority here?

as for me, yes I require peanuts for fast protein and no there are no substitutes as per my doctor. so again, who is worthy of accommodation and who is not on a flight?

Edamame has more protein than peanuts, or you could try sun dried tomatoes, as they have an equivalent amount of protein per serving. Or a plain old protein bar that is peanut free. So many options. I'm surprised your doctors didn't know that. Maybe time for a new doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter