Peanuts, peanut free flights, and reactions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t believe the people here who dismiss the real danger of low blood sugar. People can DIE from low blood sugar just like people can die from allergic reactions. And quickly.

Stating that someone passing out from LBC is no big deal is as offensive as saying someone who eats peanuts may only get a rash.

My BFF’s mother died from celiac before people knew what it was.

The pure selfishness of the “peanut” people who think “their allergy” is more important than other’s serious medical issues just because it is more common is repulsive.

I'm not diabetic, but I am hypoglycemic. I have passed out and been hospitalized due to it, so I definitely understand the dangers of low blood sugar.

That being said, however, there are TONS of options besides peanuts/ peanut products that can be consumed to quickly raise blood sugar. Actually, peanuts are low on the Glycemic Index, which means they take a while for the body to process the sugar, and therefore would not be effective for someone having a hypoglycemic reaction. Fast acting sugars like 1/2 cup fruit juice or soda (which virtually every flight will have, even if it's for a fee), 5 hard candies, 12 gummy bears, 15 Skittles, a tablespoon of sugar mixed in water (3 little sugar packets =1TB)--- All of these will treat a low quickly and can be brought through security and/or purchased in the airport and brought on the plane. After glucose has risen, it's generally a good idea to eat a protein+carb snack to prevent a crash from the fast-acting glucose just consumed. This is where peanuts become a popular option, however there are still other things that can be eaten. Crackers and cheese or fruit and yogurt are good options and yogurt can usually be purchased in airport terminals.

The point is, yes hypoglycemia is serious, but there are certainly more options than just peanuts to treat it. The fact also exists that an individual is solely in charge of their own blood sugar levels and can take efforts to mitigate it, whereas a person with a peanut allergy is reliant on others to not expose them to an allergy which is why they notify airlines and buffer zones are created. It doesn't make a peanut allergy more important of an issue than low blood sugar, but low blood sugar can effectively be managed without exposing someone with a peanut allergy to something that can potentially trigger an anaphylactic reaction. With low blood sugar, what someone around you eats has no impact on your condition. With a peanut allergy, what someone around you chooses to eat can kill you.

As stated before, if someone really wants or needs to eat their peanuts, they can ask to sit outside the buffer zones or eat their snack in the galley far away from the allergic person.

I'm not diabetic, but I am hypoglycemic. I have passed out and been hospitalized due to it, so I definitely understand the dangers of low blood sugar.

That being said, however, there are TONS of options besides peanuts/ peanut products that can be consumed to quickly raise blood sugar. Actually, peanuts are low on the Glycemic Index, which means they take a while for the body to process the sugar, and therefore would not be effective for someone having a hypoglycemic reaction. Fast acting sugars like 1/2 cup fruit juice or soda (which virtually every flight will have, even if it's for a fee), 5 hard candies, 12 gummy bears, 15 Skittles, a tablespoon of sugar mixed in water (3 little sugar packets =1TB)--- All of these will treat a low quickly and can be brought through security and/or purchased in the airport and brought on the plane. After glucose has risen, it's generally a good idea to eat a protein+carb snack to prevent a crash from the fast-acting glucose just consumed. This is where peanuts become a popular option, however there are still other things that can be eaten. Crackers and cheese or fruit and yogurt are good options and yogurt can usually be purchased in airport terminals.

The point is, yes hypoglycemia is serious, but there are certainly more options than just peanuts to treat it. The fact also exists that an individual is solely in charge of their own blood sugar levels and can take efforts to mitigate it, whereas a person with a peanut allergy is reliant on others to not expose them to an allergy which is why they notify airlines and buffer zones are created. It doesn't make a peanut allergy more important of an issue than low blood sugar, but low blood sugar can effectively be managed without exposing someone with a peanut allergy to something that can potentially trigger an anaphylactic reaction. With low blood sugar, what someone around you eats has no impact on your condition. With a peanut allergy, what someone around you chooses to eat can kill you.

As stated before, if someone really wants or needs to eat their peanuts, they can ask to sit outside the buffer zones or eat their snack in the galley far away from the allergic person.
Perfectly stated!

I have celiac. It is an autoimmune disease. Most people don't understand how important it is for me to avoid gluten. So, it is common for people with celiac to say that they are allergic to gluten or wheat.
Huge difference between celiac and peanut allergy. With a peanut allergy you could die if someone next to you opens the peanuts, even if you don't
Eat one. Celiac, your'e not going to die just from being near your neighbors pretzels, and can always bring your own snack. You just can't compare the two.

I can’t believe the people here who dismiss the real danger of low blood sugar. People can DIE from low blood sugar just like people can die from allergic reactions. And quickly.

Stating that someone passing out from LBC is no big deal is as offensive as saying someone who eats peanuts may only get a rash.

My BFF’s mother died from celiac before people knew what it was

The pure selfishness of the “peanut” people who think “their allergy” is more important than other’s serious medical issues just because it is more common is repulsive.

So, people don't just suddenly die from celiac. It is definitely a condition to be taken seriously, and managedcarefully. Long - term, untreated celiac disease can cause other life threatening illness, but having cashews or almonds instead of peanuts on a flight will not end a celiac's life. Having cashews instead of peanuts won't end a diabetic's life ( and in the immediate, hypoglycemia should be treated with a fast sugar, like juice, sugar packets, or glucose tablets). Having exposure to peanut particles can literally, directly cause the death of an allergic person. How does that even compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter