Peanut free classroom this year...

Very true. Another thing is that peanut butter is a good, inexpensive form of protein. Its one of the main things my DS eats for breakfast (PB toast). If we needed to do away with PB toast we could & would but the alternatives (eggs, bacon, non-nut butters) are more expensive.
My DD8 has an egg allergy. From the age of 4 or 5 she was able to tell you that she had an egg allergy & what that meant (no cooked or raw eggs, no science activities with eggs, etc). I've known 4YOs with a peanut allergy who were able to say 'Does this have nuts in it?' I teach pre-school & by 4-5YOs they can understand 'No food but my food' & that's for all kids, not just any that may have a food allergy. 'Eat your own food & no one elses' is not a difficult lesson to learn IMO & it can be taught at a very young age.

As others have said, I do worry that nut-free schools can set up kids & parents with a false sense of security. My DD has only had 3 reactions in her life & all 3 occured with me in the room (1st reaction where we discovered it, 2nd at a relatives house [she was digging in the trash as a toddler & found some eggshells] & the 3rd was a flu shot [she had never had a reaction until last year]). Looking at those times you'd think that I'm more of a problem than any school system.

My DGD also has an allergy to eggs but she cannot ask if it contains cooked or raw eggs. She cannot have any egg byproducts nor can she be around eggs being cooked, her blood levels are affected. She is 6 but has known from the start what is safe for her and what is not. She will not touch any food she is not sure is safe. Her school has a no sharing rule, the children cannot and do not share any food. We know that there is no such thing as fool proof, parents of children with severe allergies do not send their children to school believing nothing will happen. They send them knowing that they, the teachers and the staff have done all they can to safeguard their child.

I think that parents want reasonable accommodation, the parent of the child in the OP's child's class was not looking to quarantine the classroom, she was looking for a solution. Most parents do not want allergy free, that is not an attainable goal. They want their child to go to school, eat lunch with their class, and still manage to get through the day without a reaction. That's it. When school systems go to an extreme it is usually because there is a parent who will not cooperate at all or because an adult made a very serious error in judgment and a child was adversely affected. My husbands cousin's wife is a prime example of that kind of parent whose response to any request was to say "No, Let them deal." and in turn the schools make blanket rules.

Very true. Another thing is that peanut butter is a good, inexpensive form of protein. Its one of the main things my DS eats for breakfast (PB toast). If we needed to do away with PB toast we could & would but the alternatives (eggs, bacon, non-nut butters) are more expensive.

There are other sources of protein such as oatmeal, milk and toast...and even breakfast cereals. Yes, peanut butter is a great source of protein, but children who go without it are not going to suffer negative effects if they have a well-rounded diet in the first place.

Wow, even my Lindor truffles have 2g of protein in 3 balls. ;)

---------------------

This is the real topic at hand.. OP has never said, "I'm sending in peanut butter anyhow.."

Exactly. Hopefully, the OP and maybe some of the other parents, can come up with something that will work. Maybe pizza days, movie days, show and tell during lunch, special community visitor could come and visit/educate one day (ie. fireman, nurse, farmer?). Something to "spice" things up a bit. Then their class may be the envy of those in the cafeteria!!

To me, the big deal is that we aren't talking about peanuts - we are talking about allergies. Are we going to ban wheat, dairy, soy, berries, corn (all which can cause shock reactions), limit recess for bee free school activities, etc.

Apparently, you don't know much about peanut allergies. Yes, wheat, dairy, soy, etc. can cause adverse reactions, but they are not as dangerous as peanut allergies.

"In the April 2007 “Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology” research was submitted on the deaths of 31 individuals who suffered fatal anaphylaxis. Peanuts accounted for 17 of the deaths (55%); tree nuts caused 8; milk caused 4; and shrimp 2."

More than half of those individuals died because of peanuts. So, you tell any of those families or continue to tell families of those with children who suffer from peanut allergies that "it's not about the peanuts."

Apparently, you don't know much about peanut allergies. Yes, wheat, dairy, soy, etc. can cause adverse reactions, but they are not as dangerous as peanut allergies.

"In the April 2007 “Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology” research was submitted on the deaths of 31 individuals who suffered fatal anaphylaxis. Peanuts accounted for 17 of the deaths (55%); tree nuts caused 8; milk caused 4; and shrimp 2."

More than half of those individuals died because of peanuts. So, you tell any of those families or continue to tell families of those with children who suffer from peanut allergies that "it's not about the peanuts."

Peanut allergies may be more common, but it does not make them any more dangerous than any other life-threatening allergy.

I have read that study as well. It should be noted that the majority studied were 13-30 years old. This discussion is about young elementary age children. Approximately 125 people die from an anaphylactic reaction in the US every year, but 70%+ are over 13 years of age. While no one wishes a child to even have a reaction to an allergen, the notion that a child touches something and is instantly dead, isn't the case most of the time.

I also found these statements in the British Medical Journal bmj.com:

While 90 percent of anaphylactic reactions occur in preschool children, the majority of deaths occur in adolescents. “Asthma is a big risk factor for fatality and most people actually die from an asthma attack,” he says. “Those who have died usually have not been giving adrenaline or it wasn’t used early enough.”

Peanut allergies can be outgrown according to our Allergist my children see, but according to him most parents refuse trials of the allergens for the fear that the child will not survive it. He is constantly educating parents that what they hear in the media isn't always the case for their children. The fear has caused the peanut-free environments to pop up, not education.

To me, the big deal is that we aren't talking about peanuts - we are talking about allergies. Are we going to ban wheat, dairy, soy, berries, corn (all which can cause shock reactions), limit recess for bee free school activities, etc. How far are we willing to go - and why should peanut allergies be treated differently than wheat allergies or bee stings?

I think peanut allergies are unique because of their combination of:

higher numbers of peanut allergy kids (20% of my DD's Kinder class has peanut allergies)
high number of kids in schools who consume peanut products
the ease in which peanut residue is transmitted from student to student
the numerous ways in which peanut allergic kids can be allergic (consumption, touch, airborne, etc.)
the very small chance that children will outgrow peanut allergies (most other allergies are more easily outgrown)

Peanut allergies may be more common, but it does not make them any more dangerous than any other life-threatening allergy.

You are absolutely right. But I think more kids will be affected more often by peanut allergies.

I actually would argue that dairy allergies are on the same level with peanut allergies. Dairy products are very prevalent in schools and can easily be spread (spilled milk, yogurt on hands, etc.)

BTW, I am a parent of a DD with peanut allergies and an aunt to two with SEVERE dairy allergies. All three kids have experience anaphylactic reactions. Luckily my DD's was at home. My niece and nephew's reactions both occurred at a peanut free but not dairy free daycare.

Peanut allergies can be outgrown according to our Allergist my children see ...The fear has caused the peanut-free environments to pop up, not education.

My allergist said that the chance of outgrowing a peanut allergy is 4%. He also said my DD's other allergies (egg, tree nut, melon, sesame seed, pea) could be gone by age 6.

I do agree with your last statement. I think that school districts don't want to deal with the accommodations that most on this thread (including myself) think can be made without bans to reduce the chance of peanut allergic reactions. They are also scared of law suits. The combination of the two has lead to the bans.

And the OTHER HALF died of something other than peanuts - are they less important because there are fewer of them?

And the OTHER HALF died of something other than peanuts - are they less important because there are fewer of them?

i still dont understand why this is even being discussed. its a phantom issue. no one here has said they asked their schools to make it a wheat or whatever free zone. no one has said that the school has refused to accomidate. so im really not understanding your issue with this is?

the issue in most schools is peanuts, so schools are doing what they can to alleviate the problem. anything they can do on their part can only be a positive reaction to the problem. im sure if one of these other allergyns became a problem they would address it, the same as they are addressing the peanut issue.

so whats your deal with this?

Making schools and school districts peanut/nut free this is crazy to me. My kids are not cold meat or cheese sandwich eaters and for the last 6 years for DD and 3 years for DS they have taken either PB&J or PB sandwichs to school. Everyday!!!! How do you feed these kids? I'm not saying this isn't a scary allergy and we shouldn't accomadate that child in certain ways but what would the school district do to accommate my childs prefers. Children are allergic to many things and allergies, even life threatening ones, affect many people. Do we eliminate everything that is potentially life threatening in schools and everywhere else? Maybe by putting a nurse back in the schools to montior those with allergies or even diabetes that would be better. Many schools have cut out the school nurse and have one for the school district. This is more scary to me. What about the diabetic child that becomes hypoglycemic and arrests because no medical personel is in school to assist. I know this is off topic but it is a passion of mine to keep a nurse in schools. Especially in rural schools where EMS is a >15 min respoonse time.

Did I saw it was "only" about the peanuts? In your original post I quoted you were being very flippant about a life threatening allergy.

That's all.

Outgrowing peanut allergy

David M. Fleischer, MD, and colleagues from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine show that patients with low peanut-IgE levels have a 50% chance of outgrowing their peanut allergy. It was previously thought that only 20% of people outgrow their peanut allergy, especially when diagnosed at an early age.

Oral food challenges currently are the best way to prove that a patient has outgrown a food allergy. Fleischer performed peanut challenges on children with low-peanut IgE levels and found that 55% of the patients passed a peanut challenge. Of the children who passed the challenge, three had a history of severe, life-threatening reactions and four of the children passed the challenge after previously failing. Fleischer’s study suggests that challenging patients with low levels of peanut-IgE in their blood may be the most appropriate way to ensure a higher chance of passing an oral food challenge, avoiding the possible stress and side effects of a failed challenge.

http://www.aaaai.org/patients/advocate/2003/fall/jaci.stm

This is what our Allergist referred to, and in his large practice he finds the same numbers, if parents allow the peanut challenge. There is a small chance of recurrence, according to this article, but it is among the people who do not eat ENOUGH peanuts to maintain a tolerance level. There is a big difference btw. a mild peanut allergy and a severe one, just as with any other allergy. If parents aren't educated, they will never know if their child has outgrown it or not.

Outgrowing peanut allergy

David M. Fleischer, MD, and colleagues from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine show that patients with low peanut-IgE levels have a 50% chance of outgrowing their peanut allergy.

What percentage of peanut allergy patients get to a "low peanut IgE" level?

That's the key question.

Your post is misleading because it sounds like 50% of peanut allergies are outgrown. That is simply not true.

If, for example, only 8% of peanut allergy people reach a low IgE level, and 50% of them outgrow it, then my Dr's 4% number is still correct.

My DD's IgE numbers have steadily grown between age 2 and 5.

Do you or your Dr know what percentage of people get to that "low number" and what is considered "low"?

...I'm not looking to start a debate and truly understand how severe these allergies can be- here's the story... my son is in full day Kindergarten this year and his classroom is designated a nut free zone due to a child with an allergy. No big deal, send in only treats without peanuts, peanut oil, etc. But... in order to "ensure the safety of this child" his class has to eat lunch IN THEIR CLASSROOM every day! Now, these kids have a small room and 5 year old's need to move :yay: so I am very disappointed in this decision. My twins are in second grade in the same school and he was looking forward to seeing them in the cafeteria every day. Now, I'm not saying the allergic child should be "punished"- by eating alone, but I think this is "punishing" the entire class instead. Before I talk to the teacher (and I'm not even sure it matters if I do) what solutions could I present as an alternative?
Thanks for anybody with any advice-:grouphug:

Don't look at it as a punishment -- frankly elementary school cafeterias are loud, smelly places where kids generally aren't allowed to move at all. As a school administrator working with PreK through 3rd (and former K teacher) I can tell you that eating is the classroom is so much gentler, and more friendly for kids. If you could actually go to an elementary school cafeteria and see what goes on there (kids with hands over their ears, kids in tears) you'd be delighted that your kid wasn't having this inflicted on them.

If you child is worried about not seeing siblings, maybe ask the teacher if he can invite them as a special treat once in a while.

i still dont understand why this is even being discussed. its a phantom issue. no one here has said they asked their schools to make it a wheat or whatever free zone. no one has said that the school has refused to accomidate. so im really not understanding your issue with this is?

the issue in most schools is peanuts, so schools are doing what they can to alleviate the problem. anything they can do on their part can only be a positive reaction to the problem. im sure if one of these other allergyns became a problem they would address it, the same as they are addressing the peanut issue.

It is not a "Phantom" issue. We have allergies in our family that the school refused to even acknowledge. There are other allergies in the world besides peanuts and no matter what folks on the Disboard think-they can (and are) just as life threatening as peanuts. And so far, they have not been outgrown by age 6.

It is not a "Phantom" issue. We have allergies in our family that the school refused to even acknowledge. There are other allergies in the world besides peanuts and no matter what folks on the Disboard think-they can (and are) just as life threatening as peanuts. And so far, they have not been outgrown by age 6.

Lilogirl, I would definitely go in and meet with the school administrators armed with 504 Plan information...armed with documentation from your allergist. My DD's school's parent site has a link on it for 504. If you need any links to any info please let me know. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the school is required, by law, to make accomodations (and acknowledgements) to ensure the safety of your child and their education is both being met. I am thankful that I have never had to "bring out the big guns" (the 504) at DD's school...but I would in a heartbeat if I encountered any resistance or problems with adminstration. HTH

you have gone to your school and said that your child has a life threatening allergy and they have looked you in the face and said...we dont care? i have a hard time believing that.
if it were my child i would have gone further. gone to the local news, the news papers. i wouldnt have just accepted it. not if it were a life threatening allergy and my child was being exposed.

At our school (which is entirely nut-free as we have several students with nut allergies strong enough to cause anaphylaxis) all classes eat in their classrooms. Kids are not permitted to move around for safety as little ones can choke easily when eating and moving around. After eating, they have a long outdoor recess where they can run til their heart's content. We are not allowed to send anything with nuts or anything on which the package says 'may contain nuts or come into contact with nuts'. This used to drive me nuts since I have one child who doesn't eat a lot of variety but loves PB. But, you know, as soon as you find out one of the children you know has it, you think differently. This year my dd has a friend's son in her class who has it and I find it much easier to be vigilant knowing I'm doing it for him. Due to privacy laws, our school won't say which kid has the allergy, but I find it easier to deal with it with my kids and my own shopping when I can say to them, "we have to do this for so-and-so". My ds, the peanut butter lover, had no problem giving up his pb for lunch when he knew it was to keep his buddy from being sick. I send him cheese and whole wheat crackers instead of a sandwich and he's happy with that.

I disagree that this is a phantom issue. This year my kids' preschool has implemented a ban on peanuts (any products made in a factory with peanuts) and strawberries (which include anything with natural flavors, anything "berry flavored", even anything that has a picture of a strawberry on the package). They took away my child's juice box yesterday because it had "natural flavors" (it was a Cherry Koolaid). The list of acceptable snacks was about 10 items long and acceptable drinks maybe 5 items long.

I've gotten to the point that if they really want to be that restrictive, I believe that they should be providing the kids their snacks. I don't mind paying an extra amount each month if I don't have to worry about stressing out over what food is acceptable and what isn't. I'm not going to intentionally send something that isn't allowed, but I really think they are going overboard with the rules at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter