Peanut free classroom this year...

krismom

<font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color
...I'm not looking to start a debate and truly understand how severe these allergies can be- here's the story... my son is in full day Kindergarten this year and his classroom is designated a nut free zone due to a child with an allergy. No big deal, send in only treats without peanuts, peanut oil, etc. But... in order to "ensure the safety of this child" his class has to eat lunch IN THEIR CLASSROOM every day! Now, these kids have a small room and 5 year old's need to move :yay: so I am very disappointed in this decision. My twins are in second grade in the same school and he was looking forward to seeing them in the cafeteria every day. Now, I'm not saying the allergic child should be "punished"- by eating alone, but I think this is "punishing" the entire class instead. Before I talk to the teacher (and I'm not even sure it matters if I do) what solutions could I present as an alternative?
Thanks for anybody with any advice-:grouphug:

my neighbors son is severely allergic and they used to have his class eat alone. his mother took up a petition to get the whole school peanut free. most parents were on board with it and its now a peanut free school. so all the kids can be comfortable in their school.
so maybe you could try to convert the whole school. in fact every school in my district is 100% peanut free. i really feel that it would be wonderful to see that happen across the country.

We have a peanut free school. Each class still eats lunch in the cafeteria, but the whole school is prohibited from bringing any peanut products. I would have an issue with that class being the only one confined to their room, especially for the whole year. I'd propose the school be peanut free so all can eat in the cafeteria. Even if we don't have a peanut allergy child a particular year, we are still a peanut free school. It takes some creativity, but it doesn't feel like a burden since every student has the same rules. If one of my kids could bring peanuts but the other couldn't AND was confined to her room, I'd pitch a fit!

My son wouldn't be able to attend a full day school if he wasn't able to bring peanuts and peanut butter. He lives off of PBJ's and trail mix most days LOL. There are days when he doesn't eat anything else. Our school has 1 table in the cafeteria that is peanut free and those kids sit there.

I don't know enough about peanut allergies to really give you sound advice.... but I think the PP's had good ideas about a peanut free school.

The truth is... kids are dirty little creatures! What if a child in another class had a peanut butter sandwich at lunch and had peanut butter residue on her hands. She then goes to the bathroom and touches the faucet with messy hands. What if the peanut allergy kid comes into the bathroom immediately afterwards and touches that same faucet???

A peanut free school makes the most sense.

As a child with severe food allergies, I see it differently.

My son used to be allergic to peanuts, but although this is rare, he outgrew it very young (about age 6). He is still milk and egg allergic, and used to hive up if he touched a table that even had cheese residue on it and wasn't thoroughly cleaned with cleaner. He's had two instances of anaphylaxis, so I can relate to the serious concern of food allergies.

While a peanut allergy is dangerous at times, very dangerous, even making the classroom "peanut free" isn't ensuring the safety of the child completely. Also, telling parents when they are sending in treats to keep them peanut free isn't safe - we always have a stash of treats in the classroom for my son. You can't trust outside food ever with allergies, unless they are prepackaged and clearly labeled.

We had been told at one field trip a few years ago, that they weren't allowed to bring peanut products in their bag lunch. There was no other option for my son - I wouldn't have sent lunchmeat (no cooler packs allowed) and he can't eat cheese. PB&J was the only real option for him. I talked about it with the nurse, and she quickly agreed that it was a silly rule.

I understand keeping a peanut free table, but can't see why you would tell the other kids they can't have peanut butter ever at school. I never told anyone not to eat pizza around my son, he just had to stay away.

How could you
a) tell other kids what they can and can't bring to school, and
b) make the kids eat in their classroom when there is a cafeteria?

Sorry, but even though my son has allergies, I wouldn't mandate what others could bring.

I agree with those suggesting that the school be peanut-free. In our school district I believe all the elementary schools are peanut free. Pretty much all of the indoor playgrounds followed suit and several other places that host birthday parties did also.
I see where that mom is coming from. But, I think if someone started a petition, specifically a mom who doesn't have a child with an allergy, to have a ban it would be a good thing.
My son's classroom specifically is not just peanut-free it is also nut free. As well, the school asks that families not bring in food for birthdays (even packaged stuff) just stuff like pencils.
In our house we are avoiding stuff like nitrates, certain food colouring and most sugar. (it's a necessity for our sanity!) So, having blanket rules helps everyone out.

We have a peanut free table in our cafeteria where kids who are allergic to peanuts can sit. Their friends (even those without peanut allergies) are allowed to join them at this table as long as they don't bring any peanut products. This table gets wiped down after every class. It seems to have worked for our school for several years now.

As a child with severe food allergies, I see it differently.

My son used to be allergic to peanuts, but although this is rare, he outgrew it very young (about age 6). He is still milk and egg allergic, and used to hive up if he touched a table that even had cheese residue on it and wasn't thoroughly cleaned with cleaner. He's had two instances of anaphylaxis, so I can relate to the serious concern of food allergies.

While a peanut allergy is dangerous at times, very dangerous, even making the classroom "peanut free" isn't ensuring the safety of the child completely. Also, telling parents when they are sending in treats to keep them peanut free isn't safe - we always have a stash of treats in the classroom for my son. You can't trust outside food ever with allergies, unless they are prepackaged and clearly labeled.

We had been told at one field trip a few years ago, that they weren't allowed to bring peanut products in their bag lunch. There was no other option for my son - I wouldn't have sent lunchmeat (no cooler packs allowed) and he can't eat cheese. PB&J was the only real option for him. I talked about it with the nurse, and she quickly agreed that it was a silly rule.

I understand keeping a peanut free table, but can't see why you would tell the other kids they can't have peanut butter ever at school. I never told anyone not to eat pizza around my son, he just had to stay away.

How could you
a) tell other kids what they can and can't bring to school, and
b) make the kids eat in their classroom when there is a cafeteria?

Sorry, but even though my son has allergies, I wouldn't mandate what others could bring.

theres a big difference between most food allergies and a peanut allergy. many kids who have a peanut allergy cant even be in the same room as someone who is eating peanut butter. my neighbors son has a severe allergy, he cant even step foot in a supermarket. he doesnt go to restaurants or even the mall. when my neighbor was fighting to get the school peanut free there was a mom who refused to keep peanut butter out of her kids lunch. she sent in a peanut butter sandwich even after a letter went home saying no more peanuts. Nico ate lunch in the cafeteria as he has been for a couple days. the boy had eaten there before him, not even at the same time. within 5 minutes of Nico sitting at the lunch table he was being rushed to the hospital. luckily his mom didnt follow the rules and he had am epi pen on him. but he could have died. had he not had the epi pen he would have died. all because this boy had to eat peanutbutter?
i have no problem not sending in peanut butter. theres nothi9ng wrong with broadening our childrens menus.

We do not have a peanut free school however both DDs have pf rooms (no peanut snacks) the pf kids eat at their own table in the cafeteria, we have a big school with a big cafe (don't know if that matters or not) like the previous poster anyone can sit there as long as their lunch is pf- I think it works at least I haven't heard otherwise.

I am with the PP here who was discussing the child with multiple other food allergies. I have a close friend whose chlid cannot have or touch wheat, dairy or egg. He is as severly allergic as a child with nut allergy. He has been rushed to hospital twice in the last year with anaphalyxis (sp?). He carries and epipen and knows how to use it. I just don't understand how schools can ban all potential allergins. What could they serve to kids without wheat, egg, dairt, nuts, food dyes ect. If they tried to make accomidations for every allergy like it seems some of the school are doing for peanuts. And I realize that posters haver said that nut allergies are different, but literally this child cannot tought a table where anything with egg in it has been without going into shock. His dairy is not as bad, but still severe. His mom has to research all meds perscribed and most antiboitics are out b/c of how they are produced. Even some immunizations are out for him. If schools tried to accomidate all kids with allergies by totally eliminating the food from the school there would be little to nothing left that is safe.

I think that if a kid has a life-threatening peanut allergy, then the whole school should be peanut-free. I think that if the parent requests it and the school agrees, arguing with that is just selfish. Peanut butter over a child's life??? Wow. I'm a teacher, and I'd be more than happy to find peanut-free foods to bring for lunch if that was the case. :goodvibes

What would they have done if the child was allergic to something other than Peanuts.... say Milk. Would they make the whole class go milk free too? Or Wheat, soy any of the Big 8 allergens? And yes there have been cases where people react to these as easily as peanuts. Some do have inhalation reactions or touch reactions.

I think that if a kid has a life-threatening peanut allergy, then the whole school should be peanut-free. I think that if the parent requests it and the school agrees, arguing with that is just selfish. Peanut butter over a child's life??? Wow. I'm a teacher, and I'd be more than happy to find peanut-free foods to bring for lunch if that was the case. :goodvibes

Well said! Our whole school district is also nut free. Yes, it is a pain sometimes, trying to find totally nut free products...but what is the alternative. I certainly don't want my JK son, to watch his classmate have an anaphylactic seizure because of something Mommy packed in his lunch. In the grand scheme, it is so minor. We are fortunate to have food to send with our kids...in many countries, food is a luxury. What is the big deal 8 hours without peanut products. I do see you issue, about your child's class being "punished" having to eat in their classroom. I don't have any suggestion, other than maybe the teacher can find a way for them to be "special" eating in their classroom? Music, special visitors from time to time....? At our school ALL of the kids eat in their own classrooms anyway. We don't even have a cafeteria.

What would they have done if the child was allergic to something other than Peanuts.... say Milk. Would they make the whole class go milk free too? Or Wheat, soy any of the Big 8 allergens? And yes there have been cases where people react to these as easily as peanuts. Some do have inhalation reactions or touch reactions.

it is extremely rare, ive never even seena documented case, of milk, wheat or soy causing anaphylactic shock. i would assume if a child had such a severe reaction to milk they would allert the school. but again, its not a common problem. i even took the time to look it up and found nothing on it.
a peanut allergy is the cause of anaphalxis in millions of people. so it makes sense that a school would choose to be peanut free.

I agree, if the kids have to eat in a peanut-free classroom (and are longing to eat in the cafeteria with the other kids), maybe they could have some sort of reward for doing so. Maybe, every Friday they can watch a movie or listen to music during lunch? I know they don't do this in our cafeteria, so it would be a nice privilege. :goodvibes

it is extremely rare, ive never even seena documented case, of milk, wheat or soy causing anaphylactic shock. i would assume if a child had such a severe reaction to milk they would allert the school. but again, its not a common problem. i even took the time to look it up and found nothing on it.
a peanut allergy is the cause of anaphalxis in millions of people. so it makes sense that a school would choose to be peanut free.

It isn't that rare (though nuts are far more common), I have a girlfriend whose son is fatally allergic to dairy - this is not lactose intolerance, this is "touch cheese and die." Its really easy to do google searches on this for medical literature. But soy, wheat, corn and dairy can all cause shock reactions - as can strawberries, shellfish, etc........

Here is a non-medical literature cite http://www.healthcentral.com/encyclopedia/408/502.html:

Symptoms of Dairy Allergies

Milk allergy can be manifested as asthma, eczema (an itchy rash), rhinitis (inflamed nose), and gastrointestinal distress, as well as bleeding, pneumonia, and even anaphylaxis (shock). Every parent should be alert for signs of milk allergy.

I just had a thought. If the class is eating in the classroom, what happens when someone accidently brings peanuts/peanut butter INTO the classroom. I would think that would be more of a danger to the allergy child. Now the allergen is right in the room with the child.

Not to say any parent would willfully break a "rule" and send in peanuts. But when you have a case where it is a really an accident, Grandma comes in from out of town and makes lunch (letting Mom sleep in) having no idea peanut butter is taboo.:confused3

In primary school my eldest daughters bestfriend was nut allergic (his mother did not tell me this until she dropped him off for a day out with us "ohh you do know he carries an epi-pen incase of anaphaleptic shock" just casually dropped into the conversation) what their class did was to have a rotation of his friends who ate with him so the other kids could eat with the main school regularly but he also had friends in his room eating with him, some kids opted to eat with him more often (alot of the quieter ones who preferred to be out of the main canteen) that worked well in a large class, each student would eat with him maybe 2 or 3 times a month unless they opted to stay with him more.

In schools with a 'peanut-free' policy, do they police the kids as they come in in the morning? How many of those kids have had peanut butter for breakfast, got a bit on their shirts, under their nails, etc, do they call the parents to bring in a change of clothing?

Our school system is peanut - sensitive. Students are allowed to bring in peanut butter and other peanut products, and arrangements are made to schedule classes with students with peanut allergies at first lunch in our elementary schools. No peanut products are served in our cafeterias. We have a peanut free section in our middle school cafeteria. By the time the kids get to high school, they are a lot more responsible in maintaining their own health and safety - no peanut free tables, but by high school, there's a lot less pb & j - we serve pizza in the cafe every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter