Peanut Butter Sandwich...and CHILI???

I didn't know dipping your sandwich in it was a thing but I did know that putting peanut butter in chili was.

Born and raised in Kentucky, 5th generation from Kentucky, went to public schools, never served or have seen peanut butter served with chili. We always had grilled cheese with chili in school or the chili was served over spaghetti noodles with cheese. I ask DH a nd he said never saw it heard of it either.

In school if chili was served with a sandwich it was half a grilled cheese and a cup of chili, like a soup and sandwich combo.

I'm just surprised people eat a sandwich with their chili. :confused3 Then again, we put sugar in ours so some people probably find that weird, too.
Totally. The whole notion seems out of whack to me. Chili is a stand-along, one pot meal, maybe served with a light side like corn bread or a tossed salad. Sandwiches are also kind of a "main", not a side, which can be served with soup, but chili is not soup. :confused:

I'm with you on the sugar though. A little handful of brown sugar is the "secret ingredient" in my chili and it cuts the acidity of the tomatoes and adds to the depth of flavour without sweetening it.

I much prefer a good thick chilil. My dad however made a thin chili and at that point it resembled more of a soup with how much liquid to other contents it was.

The chili recipe we make has pinto beans but my mom's chili she adds kidney beans not pinto beans. The chili recipe we make has coffee and chili powder (quite a lot for the amount of beef) in it.

I'm not a fan of cornbread and neither is anyone around me really. I do like cornbread made with creamed corn but I don't eat that with chili. My husband and I like Ritz crackers with our chili, my mom likes oyster crackers. When I was growing up I ate Saltines a lot more than I do nowadays.

Doesn't seem odd to me. If people want a sandwich with their chili, I don't find it weird.

So interesting!! I have never heard of PB and chili going together. When I make chili it is always served with a side of cornbread and/or a salad and maybe rice. I add powdered baking chocolate or some coffee to my chili as my secret ingredients.

Definitely have heard of grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup....that is a classic in our home.

MJ

I'm from SE Ohio, not too far from parts of KY, and pb sandwich was always served with chili at school when I was growing up. I didn't dip it in my chili, but I don't like my food to touch, which is a different thread. We don't do it at home, but my FIL does and he grew up in PA.

I've done it and I'm from NY.

More or less, dipping my sandwich is always something I do, no matter what kind of sandwich or soup combo I get/make. A lot of times, I'll have leftover chili (or any various soups) and no lunch meat on hand, so a PB&J it is.

It isn't bad, tbh. Sweet and salty meets spicy.

I also dipped my PB&J in soups at school. I rarely chose the other sandwiches because the school inevitably always chose the cheapest lunch meat possible and it always had funky, questionable chunks of fat or gristle in it. So, I got very used to the sweet/savory pairing.

Plus, the white or wheat bread they used was always dry so it was nice to be able to soften up the crust part with soup.

I’ve never heard of or thought about combining peanut butter and Chili in any way, but it sounds strangely satisfying to me. I might give it a shot. :)

The only thing I put in my chili (except the ingredients OF the chili obviously) is cheese. A slice of American cheese on top of a bowl of red chili... mmmmm. Man, I need to make chili!

Oh my- I couldn't believe it when I saw this. My husband is from western maryland and LOVES chili with a PB sandwich.
Yuckyuckyuck!

I've never had it but it sounds good. But then again, there's not much I don't like, which is evident by my sizable waistline. Sigh.

My boss is from Ohio. He eats PB sandwiches with chili but I think he said someone told him about it. Not something he grew up doing.

And when I make chili I put in pinto beans, kidney beans and black beans if I have them. But no coffee.

And shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top. With Fritos or cornbread.

There. I think I covered everything. :)

I love chili and I love peanut butter.......might have to try them together. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter