Peanut Butter Sandwich...and CHILI???

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
I just heard this mentioned on a cooking vlog. It is apparently a regional thing (vlogger is from Kentucky)...my mind is blown (not in a good way LOL). Am I the only one who has never heard of this combo?? I'm intrigued and horrified at idea. Dipping a peanut butter sandwich in your bowl of chili. Say wha?????

The only time I’ve heard of it was here on the dis and I thought the same thing as you, sounds weird to me.

I come from Barely In Nearly KY an remember school lunches with chili an PB sandwich....might be something different to go with my chili soon.

Might be apart of the country that puts spaghetti or macaroni in their chili which is what I have always done.

My dad does pb crackers with his chili (TN), but he does tons of weird food things. The rest of us are normal and have grilled cheese. Some of us dip, some don't.

My husband’s family does this. When I first met him I thought it was the grossest combination I had ever heard of.

They don’t dip the sandwich, but eat both in the same meal.

A few years ago I did see a chili recipe (maybe Food Network?) that called for a spoonful of peanut butter, so there must be some level that the flavors work. I still have never decided to try it myself.

I come from Barely In Nearly KY an remember school lunches with chili an PB sandwich....might be something different to go with my chili soon.

Might be apart of the country that puts spaghetti or macaroni in their chili which is what I have always done.

Interesting. DH’s family is from southern Illinois, by the Kentucky border.

I have met people who put macaroni in chili. Others who use crackers. My family always served it with rice. I think they’re all ways to stretch the meal when you have a large family and little money.

Somethings just go together.

Peanut Butter & Jelly
Chili & Corn Bread.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate
Chili and Peanut Butter...not so much

I love pbj and vegetable beef! When mom and I ran the day care this was on the menu once a week and the kids always loved it.

We didn't use jelly, but I grew up dipping a PB sandwich in vegetable beef soup & now serve it that way myself. We usually add crackers to leftovers, because it isn't as soupy. It's definitely not as good that way.

Might be apart of the country that puts spaghetti or macaroni in their chili which is what I have always do
have you never gone to Steak n Shake? They have chili over spaghetti noodles. My sons favorite thing since he tried it a year ago lol.

My husband’s family does this. When I first met him I thought it was the grossest combination I had ever heard of.

They don’t dip the sandwich, but eat both in the same meal.
Thought it was a Midwest thing! My hubs does same thing as he said his school lunch in St Louis was always this combo! Rest of us think it’s gross :faint:

While I think that’s gross, ppl here but potato salad in their gumbo. I find that gross too, but whenever school lunches served gumbo, there was also a side of potato salad. Thankfully, it was left to the individual to mix them together if desired. I did not!

My husband doesn't dip the pb sandwich in the chili, but it's a must have for him to have with chili!

i know the combo sounds odd but if you've had chicken mole sauce then you've likely already eaten chili powder combined with peanut butter. it actually goes well together.

I’m from KY, and yes, PB sandwiches were always served with chili at school. I never dipped it in the chili. At home, we always put PB on Saltine Crackers and ate them with chili, but again, as a side, not in the chili.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter