• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I might be concerned about the older roommate but it's something you won't know if it's an actual problem unless you know the guy. He could be a great help, or not. Can your son communicate with him by some method for a while and get a feel for what he's like?

I guess I would give him the benefit of the doubt and try it out. If he is a problem, see if either your son or the roommate can move?

This probably doesn't help since that guy doesn't have Facebook but for the potential roommates DD was looking at I found more info by determining who the mom was and looking at their page :) This age of kid may not have much on FB and their Instagram is private but the Mom will have pics posted!

So my son got the name of his roommate. He is in a quad-2 in each room w/ a community room and 2 others in an adjoining room. His roommate is not on social media, we googled his name and he is going to be 21 years old in September. After we saw that, he did join in to the Facebook group and he made some comments that indicate he is indeed 2 + years older than my son and he has attended a college prior to this one. (he will turn 21 a few weeks after school starts) My son is unsure if his group is in an LLC, I am tending to doubt it as he met one of the other quad kids at orientation, and he is a music major. My son is an Mechanical Engineering major. We are hoping to learn soon what his room mates major is. I must say, none of us are thrilled w/ this roommate situation, based on the age and prior college experience this boy has. We are feeling like we are off to a bad start here. My son is going to call the school after the 4th and try and get some insight on this. UGH. Just wondering what other parents of freshmen feel about our situation, maybe it isn't as bad as we are thinking...idk.

I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't be bothered by it. IRL, they are all adults. I felt college to be the start of when people stopped worrying about how old people were or what year they were in. It was no longer "You're a freshman!" or "You're a junior!" Everyone was simply in college. In addition, I consider having a transfer in the dorm to be a PLUS. He knows what needs to be done at a college level and may set a good example for the younger men.
I tend to agree with Robin. Young ADULTS are heading to college plus he has a couple of years of experience which in my mind equals maturity.
I'd not make an issue, I'd consider it a plus and move on.
College living situations teach students a lot more than we think.
My DD due to birtdates would have been 19 starting college, due to her gap year she will be 20. She's concerned about having the 17yr olds way more than roomies her age or older.

Thank you for your responses. We are concerned, the roommate has attended another college prior to this one. We would prefer our son be with someone who is learning his way around the same way that he is. I am sure it is a preference that not all parents would have. The roommate graduated from high school 3 years ago. We will call the school on Wednesday and let them know our thoughts on this. It wouldn't be as big a deal (to us), if he was 2 years older and a freshman, but the whole package just doesn't seem like a good fit. I looked for the Mom on FB as someone had suggested and came up empty.

So the radiator on my car that Niece drives died. $700 to fix and it's an old clunker that just needs to last until Niece leaves for college. I'm paying to get it fixed, but I am NOT happy. It had just better last until September!

In a little twist, DS joined the marching band while he was there. He had been considering it, but I think he was leaning against it until he spoke to the student recruiter. It's a pretty involved program. The exciting part this year is that they are marching in the Rose Bowl parade! The trip will also include a day at Disneyland. His sister and I are green with envy, lol.

One DS is joining the band. I was so excited because the first ballgame is at the Rose Bowl and I was planning my trip until I found out freshmen are not getting to attend that game.

So my son got the name of his roommate. He is in a quad-2 in each room w/ a community room and 2 others in an adjoining room. His roommate is not on social media, we googled his name and he is going to be 21 years old in September. After we saw that, he did join in to the Facebook group and he made some comments that indicate he is indeed 2 + years older than my son and he has attended a college prior to this one. (he will turn 21 a few weeks after school starts) My son is unsure if his group is in an LLC, I am tending to doubt it as he met one of the other quad kids at orientation, and he is a music major. My son is an Mechanical Engineering major. We are hoping to learn soon what his room mates major is. I must say, none of us are thrilled w/ this roommate situation, based on the age and prior college experience this boy has. We are feeling like we are off to a bad start here. My son is going to call the school after the 4th and try and get some insight on this. UGH. Just wondering what other parents of freshmen feel about our situation, maybe it isn't as bad as we are thinking...idk.

My first roommate was a 5th year senior. Just like all roommates, it was both good and bad. She was able to share a lot of information and helped me get my bearings. She was also great at stopping me from doing "stupid freshmen stuff". But, I had a bunch of freshmen friends one floor up that I could do "stupid freshmen stuff" with when I wanted to. As a parent, I would be concerned about the access to alcohol. She did keep it in our room and would drink with friends, but nothing that ever caused problems. I never drank so it was not an issue for me but I would be concerned that my kids might.

We are debating getting DD a different vehicle for school. She loves her little yellow pickup, but the RWD and powerful engine are a terrible mix for winter roads. Here at home, she drives the Jeep if it's slick or snowy, but the Jeep will stay here for DD15. We found a Pontiac with FWD that is older but low miles so we'll probably look at it this week. Just didn't want to spend the money, but it will get good gas mileage and be an improvement in the winter. DH will want to keep the pickup around so he has something to run around in without getting his good pickup out, and DD doesn't want it to go away, so we won't be selling it to help pay for a different one...

To save having to spend a few thousand at once we're thinking of having DD get a small loan at the local bank, even if we pay part of the balance, in an effort to build her credit.

Just got my daughter move in date (sept 2nd 10am-12pm) and her dorm assignment. She is in a double that shares a bathroom with the double next door (like a jack and jill bathroom). She is VERY happy that its just four of them sharing it and the dorm she got is one of the few that are air conditioned! This dorm costs a bit more than some others she could have been put in (you dont get a choice its pick of the draw) but if she has air conditioning it will be worth it.

Just got my daughter move in date (sept 2nd 10am-12pm) and her dorm assignment. She is in a double that shares a bathroom with the double next door (like a jack and jill bathroom). She is VERY happy that its just four of them sharing it and the dorm she got is one of the few that are air conditioned! This dorm costs a bit more than some others she could have been put in (you dont get a choice its pick of the draw) but if she has air conditioning it will be worth it.

Sept! Our move in is two weeks earlier than that. And we too were happy our dd got a/c. Not all the freshman halls have it, and only one of the upperclassmen halls do. Really encouraged to get that apartment life going after this year.

Sept! Our move in is two weeks earlier than that. And we too were happy our dd got a/c. Not all the freshman halls have it, and only one of the upperclassmen halls do. Really encouraged to get that apartment life going after this year.

This is the only freshman dorm with a/c- all the upperclass dorms are apartment style with air, kitchen and bathroom so she won't ever be going with a room with no a/c there now!

We drop DS off on August 6th. Official move in date is the 16th but he is going to do an intensive week for Biology majors the week prior. Since he is staying in a dorm they use for that week, he will be able to move into his fall dorm room.

Just fyi for anyone moving into college in Boston or Brookline MA over Labor Day weekend - allow extra time to get there - college move in is a big nuisance traffic wise that weekend

I always wanted to be a UW Band Mom. Oh well, that required my DD to learn a band instrument and she didn't :rockband:. She played the viola.

AP results start to come out today! Apparently the College Board published the exam score distribution via twitter. Last year 41.8% of the students got a 4 or 5 in AP Calb A/B, this year only 36.7% did. Of course, my DD needs a 4 or a 5. On one question, 49% of the test takers got 0% on it. Make up a question that nearly HALF of t he kids completely mess up? WTG College Board! We find out my DD's scores tomorrow.

https://www.totalregistration.net/AP-Exam-Registration-Service/2017-AP-Exam-Score-Distributions.php

I always wanted to be a UW Band Mom. Oh well, that required my DD to learn a band instrument and she didn't :rockband:. She played the viola.

AP results start to come out today! Apparently the College Board published the exam score distribution via twitter. Last year 41.8% of the students got a 4 or 5 in AP Calb A/B, this year only 36.7% did. Of course, my DD needs a 4 or a 5. On one question, 49% of the test takers got 0% on it. Make up a question that nearly HALF of t he kids completely mess up? WTG College Board! We find out my DD's scores tomorrow.

https://www.totalregistration.net/AP-Exam-Registration-Service/2017-AP-Exam-Score-Distributions.php
DS got his scores today; they weren't very good. He did get a 4 in Biology, but only a 3 in Calc BC and English Lit. He did much better last year when he got 5s on several tests (Calc AB, English Language/ Comp, and Environmental Science) and only one 3 (US History). Oh, well! Good luck to those still waiting.

My daughter plays viola as well, but marches in a drum and bugle corps in the summer as a member of the color guard / flags.

DS got his scores today; they weren't very good. He did get a 4 in Biology, but only a 3 in Calc BC and English Lit. He did much better last year when he got 5s on several tests (Calc AB, English Language/ Comp, and Environmental Science) and only one 3 (US History). Oh, well! Good luck to those still waiting.
Bummer about the Calc B/C score. I read that the "potato problem" that only 51% of the kids scored ANYTHING on was also on the B/C test. I think a "3" on the B/C test gets credit at the UW while you need a "4" or "5" on A/B. Will he earn credit for his scores?

Bummer about the Calc B/C score. I read that the "potato problem" that only 51% of the kids scored ANYTHING on was also on the B/C test. I think a "3" on the B/C test gets credit at the UW while you need a "4" or "5" on A/B. Will he earn credit for his scores?
He should get credit for his 4s and 5s, but not his 3s. On the Calc BC, I guess there are subscores? He said he had a 4 on the AB one, but a 2 on the BC one. I guess he needed at least a 3 on the BC subscore. He's registered to take Calc 2 this fall.
There really weren't any big surprises. He's always been much stronger in math and science than in English or history. The big surprise was getting a 5 on the English language test last year. We're not entirely convinced they didn't make mistakes in scoring, lol.
Calc BC was an online course for him this year. He was at a small school and the regular math classes don't go higher than Calc AB. He hated it. He said it just didn't fit his learning style and he will never take another online course again if it can be helped. He really needs the ability to meet with a live person. It was a growing experience for him.

I would double check. Usually there is a lower bar for the English/History classes than the sciences. "3"s count at the UW for most of those exams.

My daughter plays viola as well, but marches in a drum and bugle corps in the summer as a member of the color guard / flags.

My class of 2015 DD did Color Guard all through Middle and High School, marching her first semester at college, decided it wasn't nearly as good as her high school program, and then was done. I know she still misses it so much, and I do too!!! Since it sucks up so much of your time, you really create a bond with other parents as well.

AP tests- I'm not even sure if DS knew they were out until I texted him and asked him for scores. Did anyone else's kid take that new Comp Sci Principles class? DS says this was the first year it has been offered, so that specific Comp Sci is not on his schools website as to what it gives credit for. Anyway, he got a 5 on it so I really hope it equates to something. :) 4s in Stat and Psych.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter