• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I'm sorry, its hard for us parents to let go. My co-worker and I were discussing this today at lunch. Her DD has always played basketball, is a sophomore and Mom thought she would play all the way and maybe into college (her DD is actually very good) BUT her DD had other plans and decided this was her last year. Mom is struggling but she did say to me today that she understands that done for her DD is different than done for Mom but she has to support the decision as its up to her DD not her even if she is sad to see that part of their lives get retired.
Hugs!

My DD is the one having some regrets about not running track in college. During the season she was okay with it being her last, and even right after her last race at State she felt glad it was the last time she would have to push that hard. But shortly after, since she had really brought down her times at the end of the season, she began to wonder if she'd made the right decision. She hasn't brought it up lately, and I think still knows she has picked the right place to go. I for one loved to watch her run but also am happy not to pay for Advair anymore.

Good news, her roommate group is complete! She's had her match for a while, and a third girl who wanted to be with them but hadn't found her match yet to make the suite of 4. Yesterday, the third girl got a match so right away DD requested to join the two pairs in the morning but the others didn't respond till last night. Choosing closes tomorrow, so we were a little worried, especially after the apartment manager told us that when they start matching up the leftover people, they don't pay attention to the personal info on the profiles, they just put them together randomly. They all seem pretty compatible online, hopefully they can get along great in real life!

I can't believe that just like that, it's all over. He graduated yesterday. Everyone had to leave early this morning, so we're back to an empty house. Orientation is in 11 days, and move-in is 60 days. It kind of feels like going back to work the day after vacation today. :( I saw my oldest and his wife for less than 12 hours, and 3 of those were sitting in graduation where we couldn't talk. We didn't get much more time than that with my daughter or my parents.

On the positive side, he nailed his speech at graduation, and you couldn't even tell how nervous he was.

Sorry you didn't have more time to spend with family, but glad the speech went well.

I had a couple of $2 off tide pod coupons so I bought a few bags of 16ct so now dd is ready for doing her college laundry for a year-lol! Plus a coupon for bounce fabric sheets-lol! We can now cross off laundry detergent, fabric sheets and microwave off the list. Plus I bought some cold meds, allergy meds a few months ago with my medical reimbursement

We've been on the lookout for a good deal on a Frigidaire mini fridge with two doors one for fridge and one for freezer. Her bed is one that can be adjusted so we will put mini fridge under it. DD had an idea of getting a queen size comforter so it can hang over the bed and hide the stuff under the bed but now that I think about it, it will be short and not cover the entire bed. Would love to hear what others doo to hide the stuff under the bed.

I want to hit the IKEA sale next month to buy storage , towels, shower caddy etc unless theres deals at other stores. DD still looking for a bedding style she likes. She hasn't heard from her roommate for a about 2-3 weeks so dd is getting nervous. Not sure when her roommate graduates. Last email was she was super busy with everything.

are shower shoes just flip flops? Do they have a certain bottoms like non slip?

I had a raised bed and we used a matching sheet and the Velcro tape to affix it to the bed frame.

I've started thinking care packages already! I'm being very cheesy and going with a bimonthly plan and a theme. She will love and hate it all at once. It's my job!

We will have to start coming with care package ideas. I won't start mailing them till football season is over since we have season tickets. Of course DH said we are selling the majority of the tickets because we are not going down every weekend. Of course I agreed. :rolleyes1

after weeks of telling me he would go to orientation on his own, DS asked me to come after all. So glad i asked for tis day off just n case. I didn't sign up and pay for any of the parent stuff so I am hanging out at the bookstore cafe. I'm just going to roam around a little and I will meet up with him a little later.

Isn't it nice to be invited! Glad you got to go along.

Well, my DD is annoying me today.

She has exactly 5 more swim meets left and then she's a "swammer": 4 duel meets and then the championship All City Meet (the largest outdoor swim meet in the nation). She's been swimming since she was 5. She told me toady that she'll go to Saturday's meet but she's not going to go to any more meets until the Championship meet because the Saturday morning duel meets "Ruin my whole weekend!". She went out at 11:00 PM last Friday (home by 2:00 am when I checked in on her) and had to leave home for warm-ups by 6:30 am. She swam like crap and I did not hide my disappointment. Now she says that going out on Friday night is more important than going to the remaining duel meets (even just to make me happy). I know it's silly, but I'm not ready for her to be a "swammer" and I was hoping to enjoy more meets :sad:. In addition, the team that we meet on Saturday is coached by her horrible coaches from high school. I help score the meet and I won't be able to avoid them *and* I have to be polite :crazy2:. So, her last duel meet (ever) will be more stressful and less bittersweet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can talk her into 1-2 more meets later on ...

I have been told the kids are annoying in the summer before college so we won't miss them so much. Mine are doing great at it. They only come out of their room when they are hungry or need something. Ugh!!!

We will have to start coming with care package ideas. I won't start mailing them till football season is over since we have season tickets. Of course DH said we are selling the majority of the tickets because we are not going down every weekend. Of course I agreed. :rolleyes1

My (and DD's) very favorite care packages over the last three years:

1. Buy a $1 plastic Trick or Treat pumpkin, fill it with goodies, tuck the handle inside, wrap packing tape around and around to cover the opening, slap a mailing label on, and drop it in the mail - no box. This was funny freshman year when she went to the PO on campus and they handed her a pumpkin. Now it's just anticipated each October.

2. Late January send a box of sunshine. I find that that dreary period after the fun of the holidays, and really the fun and exciting times on campus all fall, plus going back after time at home makes this a blah time so I send sunshine. I save a good xmas box, cover the inside with yellow paper, and fill it with yellow and orange stuff. Last year, I even found a reusable bag at Marshalls for .99 that had a sun and "You are my sunshine" on the front.

Those two are sent every year.

Another fun one- at the first hint of spring- send new flip flops. Also no box, just slap the labels on and mail them separately. I never do an expensive pair but usually look for a cute clearance pair at the end of summer. They've always made it just fine.

Do a search on Pinterest and you will find tons of ideas.

1. Buy a $1 plastic Trick or Treat pumpkin, fill it with goodies, tuck the handle inside, wrap packing tape around and around to cover the opening, slap a mailing label on, and drop it in the mail - no box. This was funny freshman year when she went to the PO on campus and they handed her a pumpkin. Now it's just anticipated each October.

2. Late January send a box of sunshine. I find that that dreary period after the fun of the holidays, and really the fun and exciting times on campus all fall, plus going back after time at home makes this a blah time so I send sunshine. I save a good xmas box, cover the inside with yellow paper, and fill it with yellow and orange stuff. Last year, I even found a reusable bag at Marshalls for .99 that had a sun and "You are my sunshine" on the front.

Another fun one- at the first hint of spring- send new flip flops. Also no box, just slap the labels on and mail them separately. I never do an expensive pair but usually look for a cute clearance pair at the end of summer. They've always made it just fine.

Cute ideas!. What else is everyone planning on sending..what kind of care packages?

Ok that's just awesomeness

Ok that's just awesomeness

I did not know that you could mail stuff without a box until I read it on another college thread 3 years ago. Year 1, I was skeptical and put cheap stuff inside. After it arrived safely, I now fill it with whatever cool finds I have. Last year, DD's boyfriend had recently turned 21 so I sent him a grown up pumpkin with a few airline sized bottles of alcohol as well as snacks. DD just turned 21 so hers next fall will likely have a wine theme.

I love the idea of mailing a plastic pumpkin. I have to remember that. I think it would be so funny.

So DD has been itching to try a Color Run or something similar, but we always have a conflict and she'd have to drive into the city, and it just hasn't happened. Last night I joked that she could run around the yard and we could throw stuff at her. That turned into a full fledged color party with the girls' friends. We ordered 10 pounds of color run powder on Amazon. We have a dirt road 1/10th mile from our house. Several kids will be on the sides to throw powder and several will run. I think we'll start at the corner by our house, run 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the mile (where DH will sit with the 4 wheeler and watch for traffic- but basically besides us there is maybe a couple vehicles a week on it so should be alright for those 15-20 minutes) and then run back to the start where we'll have a streamer tape for each runner to break.

They'll each bring some food so then we'll eat in the garage and have popsicles and water balloons. DD is so excited. She's gotten a pretty good response on invites and the kids think it's a fabulous idea. Now just need good weather and a dry road a week from Sunday!

Love the care package ideas! I never thought about mailing something not in a box either, but then I was reminded of those coconut souvenirs they would mail from the shop by Pirates of the Caribbean. Do they still do those?

The orientation was great. They could give WDW some lessons, they were so organized. Definitely got our money's worth.

In a little twist, DS joined the marching band while he was there. He had been considering it, but I think he was leaning against it until he spoke to the student recruiter. It's a pretty involved program. The exciting part this year is that they are marching in the Rose Bowl parade! The trip will also include a day at Disneyland. His sister and I are green with envy, lol.

In a little twist, DS joined the marching band while he was there. He had been considering it, but I think he was leaning against it until he spoke to the student recruiter. It's a pretty involved program. The exciting part this year is that they are marching in the Rose Bowl parade! The trip will also include a day at Disneyland. His sister and I are green with envy, lol.

How exciting! And what a great way for him to meet new people!

So DD has been itching to try a Color Run or something similar, but we always have a conflict and she'd have to drive into the city, and it just hasn't happened. Last night I joked that she could run around the yard and we could throw stuff at her. That turned into a full fledged color party with the girls' friends. We ordered 10 pounds of color run powder on Amazon. We have a dirt road 1/10th mile from our house. Several kids will be on the sides to throw powder and several will run. I think we'll start at the corner by our house, run 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the mile (where DH will sit with the 4 wheeler and watch for traffic- but basically besides us there is maybe a couple vehicles a week on it so should be alright for those 15-20 minutes) and then run back to the start where we'll have a streamer tape for each runner to break.

They'll each bring some food so then we'll eat in the garage and have popsicles and water balloons. DD is so excited. She's gotten a pretty good response on invites and the kids think it's a fabulous idea. Now just need good weather and a dry road a week from Sunday!
That sounds like a BLAST! We'll need pictures, of course.

My oldest will be a Freshman in September. All 3 of mine will be in 3 different schools!

(ignore me, I misread the title. Freshman in *high school* here hehe)

My oldest will be a Freshman in September. All 3 of mine will be in 3 different schools!

(ignore me, I misread the title. Freshman in *high school* here hehe)

There's probably a thread for your year, too. :) I had three in three different schools for a while. It's busy and sometimes overwhelming, but once it's over, you think maybe it went by too quickly. Good luck!

So my son got the name of his roommate. He is in a quad-2 in each room w/ a community room and 2 others in an adjoining room. His roommate is not on social media, we googled his name and he is going to be 21 years old in September. After we saw that, he did join in to the Facebook group and he made some comments that indicate he is indeed 2 + years older than my son and he has attended a college prior to this one. (he will turn 21 a few weeks after school starts) My son is unsure if his group is in an LLC, I am tending to doubt it as he met one of the other quad kids at orientation, and he is a music major. My son is an Mechanical Engineering major. We are hoping to learn soon what his room mates major is. I must say, none of us are thrilled w/ this roommate situation, based on the age and prior college experience this boy has. We are feeling like we are off to a bad start here. My son is going to call the school after the 4th and try and get some insight on this. UGH. Just wondering what other parents of freshmen feel about our situation, maybe it isn't as bad as we are thinking...idk.

So my son got the name of his roommate. He is in a quad-2 in each room w/ a community room and 2 others in an adjoining room. His roommate is not on social media, we googled his name and he is going to be 21 years old in September. After we saw that, he did join in to the Facebook group and he made some comments that indicate he is indeed 2 + years older than my son and he has attended a college prior to this one. (he will turn 21 a few weeks after school starts) My son is unsure if his group is in an LLC, I am tending to doubt it as he met one of the other quad kids at orientation, and he is a music major. My son is an Mechanical Engineering major. We are hoping to learn soon what his room mates major is. I must say, none of us are thrilled w/ this roommate situation, based on the age and prior college experience this boy has. We are feeling like we are off to a bad start here. My son is going to call the school after the 4th and try and get some insight on this. UGH. Just wondering what other parents of freshmen feel about our situation, maybe it isn't as bad as we are thinking...idk.

I would not be thrilled with a 21 year old adult rooming with my 17 year old child. Nope, not at all.

I think I would raise an eyebrow over it, but try not to overreact. What are you concerns? Maybe the student changed majors part way though and decided a different school would be better? Not all 21 year olds are wild partiers.

Even two years in college is a huge difference. And legal age, even with dorm rules, I would be very wary. If he broke the rules, in most dorms, both would be in trouble. I'd not be ok with this.

I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't be bothered by it. IRL, they are all adults. I felt college to be the start of when people stopped worrying about how old people were or what year they were in. It was no longer "You're a freshman!" or "You're a junior!" Everyone was simply in college. In addition, I consider having a transfer in the dorm to be a PLUS. He knows what needs to be done at a college level and may set a good example for the younger men.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter