Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

after weeks of telling me he would go to orientation on his own, DS asked me to come after all. So glad i asked for tis day off just n case. I didn't sign up and pay for any of the parent stuff so I am hanging out at the bookstore cafe. I'm just going to roam around a little and I will meet up with him a little later.

target has twin XL sheets. I bought some last year on clearance and noticed they were back in stock this weekend.

I stocked up on twin xl sheets during the year as well. The last set I got was online at kohl's with an extra 30% off.

Costco has really nice/thick bath towels for a great price.

I think the only thing dd still needs is a comforter.

I've been struggling with finding 100% cotton twin XL sheets-that's all DD will use. I found knit ones (like a t-shirt) but she wasn't crazy about them. I'll have to check Marshall's or TJMaxx.

DD had a bit of a meltdown yesterday-overwhelmed by her schedule and way overwhelmed when she read all the details of the honors college requirements. She thinks she'd be better off getting a double major or minor or two and doing well in the classes she's interested in. Honestly I have to agree with her. She would really struggle with the more abstract thinking of the honors classes and it isn't like her atmospheric science requirements with all the physics and calculus is going to be a piece of cake. She could always reapply for honors college as a sophomore. I read online that you have to wait to the end of your 1st semester to withdraw from the honors college but I'm hoping that since she isn't really registered yet that won't be the case. No special housing for honors college so that isn't an issue.

I've been struggling with finding 100% cotton twin XL sheets-that's all DD will use. I found knit ones (like a t-shirt) but she wasn't crazy about them. I'll have to check Marshall's or TJMaxx.

DD had a bit of a meltdown yesterday-overwhelmed by her schedule and way overwhelmed when she read all the details of the honors college requirements. She thinks she'd be better off getting a double major or minor or two and doing well in the classes she's interested in. Honestly I have to agree with her. She would really struggle with the more abstract thinking of the honors classes and it isn't like her atmospheric science requirements with all the physics and calculus is going to be a piece of cake. She could always reapply for honors college as a sophomore. I read online that you have to wait to the end of your 1st semester to withdraw from the honors college but I'm hoping that since she isn't really registered yet that won't be the case. No special housing for honors college so that isn't an issue.

I bought my daughters on amazon.

I think your plan is a solid one, if she feels overwhelmed by the Honors college then by all means, I'd try and get out of it as well. Want to start off feeling confident and strong!

I wouldn't worry about it. My dd's honors college spent the first two years on the Civilizations. It wasn't my math/science kid's strength. In retrospect (2 years later), she thinks it would have been kind of interesting, but more time consuming than it would have been worth. Going into sciences, it is better to get lab jobs and get hands on experience in your field.

Target on-line had a good selection of cotton twin XL sheets when we were looking a couple of months ago.

If she's not feeling it, she should back out of the honors program. My DD was invited into the honors program at the UW, but like your DD she has to take a butt-load of science courses. She said, "No thanks." Frankly, I'm not sure how much value there is in being in a college honors program :confused3.

I think your plan is a solid one, if she feels overwhelmed by the Honors college then by all means, I'd try and get out of it as well. Want to start off feeling confident and strong!
Thanks! Yes-we need her confident! She's a bit concerned about being so far from home (7hrs and no easy flights, trains or busses) so the more confident she is about her academics the better! She needs to be relaxed enough to feel she has time to join a few clubs to become engaged, have fun and not be homesick.

I wouldn't worry about it. My dd's honors college spent the first two years on the Civilizations. It wasn't my math/science kid's strength. In retrospect (2 years later), she thinks it would have been kind of interesting, but more time consuming than it would have been worth. Going into sciences, it is better to get lab jobs and get hands on experience in your field.
Thanks! She'll need the time for labs and getting good grades in her major. Honors program is 42 credits-it would take the place of the gen ed classes but would leave her little room for a minor. Without honors she could probably minor in both Astronomy and Geology which would both fit in nicely with her Atmospheric Science.

If she's not feeling it, she should back out of the honors program. My DD was invited into the honors program at the UW, but like your DD she has to take a butt-load of science courses. She said, "No thanks." Frankly, I'm not sure how much value there is in being in a college honors program :confused3.
Thanks! I think she was so flattered to be asked that she didn't really look at all the details involved. She would really struggle with these classes that are outside of her comfort zone-in some ways that would be good but not at the expense of what she's really going there for.

Yesterday DD decided not to apply for Honors. We were looking at it mainly to help with tuition cost- the 20 credits of Honors would be free. It would be 4 hours of Honors seminar and the rest in her major which is nice. There would be presentations and events... I picked up the brochure and she was really unsure if she wanted to add that to her load. Since she got this last scholarship, I determined she really didn't need to stress herself over Honors. Her tuition is now down to an amount where whatever isn't covered by scholarships can be covered by the tax credit. I'm assuming she can get more Foundation scholarships from the school as she can apply every semester. And she could decide to do Honors next year too.

I'm generally all for not overextending yourself if it's not necessary.

Well, my DD is annoying me today.

She has exactly 5 more swim meets left and then she's a "swammer": 4 duel meets and then the championship All City Meet (the largest outdoor swim meet in the nation). She's been swimming since she was 5. She told me toady that she'll go to Saturday's meet but she's not going to go to any more meets until the Championship meet because the Saturday morning duel meets "Ruin my whole weekend!". She went out at 11:00 PM last Friday (home by 2:00 am when I checked in on her) and had to leave home for warm-ups by 6:30 am. She swam like crap and I did not hide my disappointment. Now she says that going out on Friday night is more important than going to the remaining duel meets (even just to make me happy). I know it's silly, but I'm not ready for her to be a "swammer" and I was hoping to enjoy more meets :sad:. In addition, the team that we meet on Saturday is coached by her horrible coaches from high school. I help score the meet and I won't be able to avoid them *and* I have to be polite :crazy2:. So, her last duel meet (ever) will be more stressful and less bittersweet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can talk her into 1-2 more meets later on ...

I've started thinking care packages already! I'm being very cheesy and going with a bimonthly plan and a theme. She will love and hate it all at once. It's my job!

My DD21 just finished her Junior year. Care packages have been 3 years of fun for me- I send at least one a month. I love sending them and am constantly on the lookout for cute ideas or things that she would enjoy. Girls are easy but my nephew will be heading to school this fall and my sister and I were talking about it last night and I have much fewer ideas for a guy.

After freshman year, I mentioned to DD that now that we were used to the separation and she was established, maybe I would cut back. She hated that idea and said that her bits of love from home were super welcomed and the envy of roommates.

She has exactly 5 more swim meets left and then she's a "swammer": 4 duel meets and then the championship All City Meet (the largest outdoor swim meet in the nation). She's been swimming since she was 5. She told me toady that she'll go to Saturday's meet but she's not going to go to any more meets until the Championship meet because the Saturday morning duel meets "Ruin my whole weekend!". She went out at 11:00 PM last Friday (home by 2:00 am when I checked in on her) and had to leave home for warm-ups by 6:30 am. She swam like crap and I did not hide my disappointment. Now she says that going out on Friday night is more important than going to the remaining duel meets (even just to make me happy). I know it's silly, but I'm not ready for her to be a "swammer" and I was hoping to enjoy more meets :sad:. In addition, the team that we meet on Saturday is coached by her horrible coaches from high school. I help score the meet and I won't be able to avoid them *and* I have to be polite :crazy2:. So, her last duel meet (ever) will be more stressful and less bittersweet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can talk her into 1-2 more meets later on ...

I understand your pain. My DD was a ballet dancer. I had myself prepared for her to finish her senior year and the Civic ballet's season that May. Then around late February/early March with two productions to go she tells me that she just wants to relax and enjoy all the end of senior year activities without 3-4 hours of ballet per day plus Saturdays. I had to adjust my thinking since I knew that she wasn't going to pursue dance training any farther so if she was done then she was done- her decision. I missed seeing her dance those final two shows, though.

In her case, all her dance training did translate into a great college job with a ballet studio in her college town. She's teaching a Summer intensive for little girl's this week.

My DD21 just finished her Junior year. Care packages have been 3 years of fun for me- I send at least one a month. I love sending them and am constantly on the lookout for cute ideas or things that she would enjoy. Girls are easy but my nephew will be heading to school this fall and my sister and I were talking about it last night and I have much fewer ideas for a guy.

After freshman year, I mentioned to DD that now that we were used to the separation and she was established, maybe I would cut back. She hated that idea and said that her bits of love from home were super welcomed and the envy of roommates.

I've started thinking care packages already! I'm being very cheesy and going with a bimonthly plan and a theme. She will love and hate it all at once. It's my job!

Well, you guys have just given me something to look forward to. Thank you!!

I'm sorry, its hard for us parents to let go. My co-worker and I were discussing this today at lunch. Her DD has always played basketball, is a sophomore and Mom thought she would play all the way and maybe into college (her DD is actually very good) BUT her DD had other plans and decided this was her last year. Mom is struggling but she did say to me today that she understands that done for her DD is different than done for Mom but she has to support the decision as its up to her DD not her even if she is sad to see that part of their lives get retired.
Hugs!

I did care packages for DS, he loved them as well.
He and his floor mates had a lot of fun with the sticky hands, paddle ball and mini basketball sets I sent as standard care package fodder.

A friend recommended the book "Letting Go" -- I've purchased it and started to read-- looks like it will be really helpful for me. https://www.amazon.com/Letting-Go-S...TF8&qid=1498742976&sr=1-3&keywords=letting+go
51aRXXa3uQL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter