Parents of the Class of 2019

Tried telling him - kid is too stubborn to listen. :p Also told him that his mom is bummed she doesn't get the whole senior night / flowers / etc. treatment either, but still didn't help.

At least we've got another soccer kid heading to HS next year. ;)
My DH would’ve been gutted. Fortunately we still have ds20 playing goal keeper for his college men’s club team (Princeton didn’t get any by him his last game), dd15 is loving soccer more than ever (wants to join a spring league), and ds15 is a starter on the varsity team and was just asked to join a great club’s A team (big club). However, when Dd told him she was switching to xc as a freshman, he kept his feeling to himself, but was secretly cheering when she decided on soccer. The only time he vocalized his opinion was when both dd15 and ds20 complained about never playing club (DH tried, but they weren’t interested).

I hope your next ds keeps with it, and don’t be surprised if your ds ends up regretting quitting at some point, both ds20 and dd22 have a few regrets of things they wish they’d done differently (and I hold back my “told you so” unless they blame me, and then I remind them about how it actually went down).

Yep, he played since he was 3 and I coached a couple of his teams. He earned varsity letters his first three years, but the past two with a new coach were miserable for him (and for us as well), so while it pained me to not watch him play this year, but I completely understood. As it turns out, he was one of three seniors not to return this year and a couple others have admitted to him that they're only playing because it's their senior year.

Rumor is that the current head coach is done after this year - he's going back to school for his MBA and has a full time 9 to 5 job, so I don't think he can do it any longer. Hopefully, the rumors are true, because the assistant coach that's also rumored to take over is an awesome coach (and a really good guy) who my younger son already plays for with his club soccer team. :)

DD decided at the beginning of the year that she didn't want to swim this year. She's been on one swim team or another since she was 6. It's not a passion for her, but she's always enjoyed the friends that she made along the way, but with girls' swim being a winter sport, they're swimming at an outside athletic club freezing their butts off, and the existence of a couple of cliques in the team just made her not enjoy it as much. Kind of a bummer, but the coach is still trying to coax her back again.

Yep, he played since he was 3 and I coached a couple of his teams. He earned varsity letters his first three years, but the past two with a new coach were miserable for him (and for us as well), so while it pained me to not watch him play this year, but I completely understood. As it turns out, he was one of three seniors not to return this year and a couple others have admitted to him that they're only playing because it's their senior year.

Rumor is that the current head coach is done after this year - he's going back to school for his MBA and has a full time 9 to 5 job, so I don't think he can do it any longer. Hopefully, the rumors are true, because the assistant coach that's also rumored to take over is an awesome coach (and a really good guy) who my younger son already plays for with his club soccer team. :)
That’s a shame, ds20’s soccer coach was pretty toxic, the first half of senior year was hard, but ds finally powered through and had a great season. Hopefully the assistant coach takes over!

We're still working on getting senior pics taken, but the school has everyone take a formal pic for the yearbook as well as a collage they hang in the hallway of all the graduating classes (my boys love going and seeing their mom's picture in the hall :) ). Got the proofs on that and it turned out pretty good...

View attachment 354149

Still a little bummed that he chose not to play soccer this year - especially with senior night coming up soon. Would have been a rough season, though - the team is 1-8-2 right now. :headache:
So handsome in his coat and tie! My DS had his done in the tux (had to for yearbook), cap and gown and a casual t shirt (that happened to be SkillsUSA, the national competition they placed in). His casual one came out the best but that is him, he doesn't like dressing up.

Nice looking pic!

DD kind of wishes she were done with soccer, but feels obligated to do her senior year this spring. She is a co-captain, mainly by default because they choose 2 from each school and there are only a few senior girls from our school. (We have to combine with another school to get enough for a team.) I just hope she gets through her last season without getting hurt. We had so many injuries last year.

Still a little bummed that he chose not to play soccer this year - especially with senior night coming up soon. Would have been a rough season, though - the team is 1-8-2 right now. :headache:

Bummer. DS' team isn't doing so well right now either, but he has scored 3 goals in the last 2 games, so that's something. I'm just thankful that he gets to play this year. They didn't have enough players for a team last year and it was not a good fall in our house.

Today was theme day for Homecoming week, so most of the kids were dressing as characters from their grade's board game. Seniors have Clue, so DD wore a hand-me-down red dress and black heels to be Miss Scarlett. School rules nixed the cigarette holder but it was still really cute. She's decided to wear the same dress for her yearbook shot, which I think is absolutely adorable because she found the dress when raiding boxes of my old stuff... I wore it for my senior pictures, 20-odd years ago! I'm not sure she even knew that until this morning; most of my old photos were lost when my mom had a house fire years ago, so I think the only ones the kids have seen are the casual ones with my dog that are in a frame at my grandmother's.

Some good news on the academic front: our principal has apparently decided to address issues of pacing and depth with the first-year AP bio teacher, and the teacher told the kids today that they were going to start working to the pacing guide left behind by the former (amazing) teacher. So at least the parent concerns on that issue are being heard and addressed because DD and a couple of her friends were basically trying to self-teach the course using the text and Kahn Academy after realizing that the pace the teacher was setting wasn't going to get them where they needed to be for the test. Hopefully that eases the stress with that class at least.

Today was theme day for Homecoming week, so most of the kids were dressing as characters from their grade's board game. Seniors have Clue, so DD wore a hand-me-down red dress and black heels to be Miss Scarlett.

Boy that's really specific to find outfits for! I'm glad you had something she could use! And that will be so cool to use for senior pics. I think my girls would like to have some of my 90's stuff because it's fashionable again but it's long gone.

The worst thing about Homecoming Week is the coming up with theme outfits. Last night it took forever for DD to decide on her Hawaiian outfit. She ended up with a floral dress, sandals, and her ukulele. Sometimes I think we should never get rid of anything because we end up needing some odd thing later! Then we spent time deciding on a dress for the parade/pep rally, only to find out today the girls decided to do jeans and a nice shirt instead.

Woohoo! DS has been accepted to the school he applied to over the weekend! It was DH & my first choice (like THAT matters haha ) and DS thought it was his second choice, but now he isn't sure. At any rate, he got in. Still waiting to hear from the other school that he may or may not like better, and he hasn't actually applied to the third school, which was his safety school. He dug around more on their website over the weekend and isn't sure if it will be a good match for him at all.

Boy that's really specific to find outfits for! I'm glad you had something she could use! And that will be so cool to use for senior pics. I think my girls would like to have some of my 90's stuff because it's fashionable again but it's long gone.

The worst thing about Homecoming Week is the coming up with theme outfits. Last night it took forever for DD to decide on her Hawaiian outfit. She ended up with a floral dress, sandals, and her ukulele. Sometimes I think we should never get rid of anything because we end up needing some odd thing later! Then we spent time deciding on a dress for the parade/pep rally, only to find out today the girls decided to do jeans and a nice shirt instead.

Yeah, it was a terrible theme all around. Three of the four grades had a terrible time coming up with ideas for costumes, hall decor, etc. (the class that drew Candyland got off easy!). In the past, the themes have been decades, or Disney properties (one class had Fab Five, one had Pixar, one had Marvel, one had Star Wars), or musical genres. Board games just doesn't give as many options!

I know what you mean about not getting rid of anything. Non-prom (casual dance the night of prom for 8th graders through sophomores) one year was a Hawaiian theme and a whole bag of leftover crap from a previous party came in real handy!

Yeah, it was a terrible theme all around. Three of the four grades had a terrible time coming up with ideas for costumes, hall decor, etc. (the class that drew Candyland got off easy!). In the past, the themes have been decades, or Disney properties (one class had Fab Five, one had Pixar, one had Marvel, one had Star Wars), or musical genres. Board games just doesn't give as many options!

I know what you mean about not getting rid of anything. Non-prom (casual dance the night of prom for 8th graders through sophomores) one year was a Hawaiian theme and a whole bag of leftover crap from a previous party came in real handy!

So is it just me, or have how they themed dances gotten strange? I mean when I was in high school we'd pick a theme song, and then the theme from that song.

Hi all! I've been lurking for a short while on this thread and really appreciate everyone's information. I'd like to hear your opinions about this:
DS is applying Early Decision. His guidance counselor says that he should wait until he hears from the school (mid December) before applying to Regular Decision schools. She says its to save us the application fee in case he gets in to his ED school, although I think its to save them the work since DS is in such a large class (500+). I'm nervous about the timing since the RD schools' deadline is Jan 15, and the guidance counselor needs 15 school days to send transcripts and recommendations. What are your kids doing if applying ED?

Hi all! I've been lurking for a short while on this thread and really appreciate everyone's information. I'd like to hear your opinions about this:
DS is applying Early Decision. His guidance counselor says that he should wait until he hears from the school (mid December) before applying to Regular Decision schools. She says its to save us the application fee in case he gets in to his ED school, although I think its to save them the work since DS is in such a large class (500+). I'm nervous about the timing since the RD schools' deadline is Jan 15, and the guidance counselor needs 15 school days to send transcripts and recommendations. What are your kids doing if applying ED?
DS is not applying ED but his class is over 400...and his counselor said she will get his transcripts sent in just a couple days. Why on earth do they need 15 school days? Are they sending paper and not electronically? Good luck to your DS.

DS is not applying ED but his class is over 400...and his counselor said she will get his transcripts sent in just a couple days. Why on earth do they need 15 school days? Are they sending paper and not electronically? Good luck to your DS.

Who knows. Its all electronic. I think they are covering their behinds and trying to prevent the kids who says they need everything tomorrow. There have already been several kids who have totally messed up their apps and had to have the counselors try to fix it.

My son's class is 600+ and they have to request transcripts by October 7 for November 1 deadlines, so I don't think 3 weeks is out of the ordinary. (At least, it's the same at our school. I think if 600 kids all request transcripts to 3-4 schools all by November 1, it probably *will* take them a while to work through all the requests.) We are not applying to any schools ED, so I don't know what their recommendation would be.

However, I can kind of see their point. If you know you'll have at least 15 school days between the ED decision and the regular decision deadline, you might as well save your application fees (and, yes, save them some work too.) But if you want to apply to schools early-action, or if you won't have 15 school days between the ED decision and the regular deadline due to the school holidays, then I'd go ahead and fork over the application fees and put in your requests as soon as possible.

So is it just me, or have how they themed dances gotten strange? I mean when I was in high school we'd pick a theme song, and then the theme from that song.

Our dances aren't themed, other than prom and non-prom. The homecoming week theme is for the "spirit" contests - hall decorating, chariot parade at halftime, etc. The dance is just a dance.

Prom usually has a really elegant theme that guides the decor. Last year was Gatsby and it was beautiful. Non-prom always has a cheesy theme with dollar store kind of decorations, which is part of the fun - it is a casual event held in the school cafeteria with "catering" by Hungry Howies, and primarily serves as a welcome to the rising 8th graders/incoming freshmen put on by the current freshman and sophomore classes.

My daughter is applying binding ED to her top choice and non-binding to three safety schools that don't charge application fees or sent her a fee waiver. There are two other schools on her list that she's not going to apply to until she hears back from her top choice, because I'm not going to spend the money on application fees until we have the decision from the binding school. But our schools turn around the documentation much more quickly, usually within days... I'm hoping we don't have to find out, though, because the counselor is going on maternity leave on Nov. 1!

I guess they're trying to pick things you can decorate around...in recent years we've done a candy theme, outer space theme, Hawaii theme, and neon theme.

Poor DD didn't get through Homecoming without major drama from mean girls. I am proud of the way she was able to rise above and hope that the new friends she is making will be a lasting and positive change. Will not be able to completely avoid the others, though, until high school is done.

She applied to two colleges last night- my favorite, and another she chose. She didn't want to apply to any others, because none of the others fit the budget/major/distance constraints she has. And the school she chose to apply to is pushing the limits on budget and distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter