Parents of the Class of 2019

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
Do we have a thread yet? I was just catching up on the 2017 thread and it hit me - I have two high schoolers this year! But I didn't see a 2019 thread yet, and with school starting up already I thought for sure there would be one.

Hard to believe high school is starting already, isn't it? Today was DD's first day of school and she's got a volleyball game at a school an hour and a half from home so I'm not sure I'll even get to see her at all. I might be in bed before she gets home! So much for cute first day of school pictures, right? :D

Does anyone else have a child in a fall sport? DD is playing volleyball this year but the demands over the summer were really a rude awakening for her and she's already decided she's not going to play next year. She'd rather have her summers free. Now that school has started she doesn't mind the busy schedule so much, and she's already adding more too it - she brought home the student council application paperwork today and plans on running for freshman rep. I'm just glad she can get herself to and from most everything on her own now so I won't be logging as many miles on chauffeur duty as I did when she was in elem and middle school!

I am in your boat as well. I have one graduating 2017 then 2019. My DD is in volleyball as well. I am glad it is a fall sport because she has lots of academic challenges and things seem to start up slow....so it gives her some time to get adjusted to work while practice is in full swing!!!!

I can join this group! My DD will be starting high school next Monday.
Her assignments over the summer for her Honors classes were crazy!

She swims competitively for US swim team but isn't sure she will leave that to swim for the high school.

I also have a little boy going to 3rd grade!

DD1 started her freshman year last Thursday - eligible for her driver's permit in a month. Yikes!!!

We start late this year, but I'll have a freshman in two weeks. I can't believe how quickly it happened!

My middle child is starting freshman year. She is running cross country, and has been running with the three senior varsity captains this summer (they break up into groups, and she makes up their foursome). She will have practice every day after school, and then 2 - 3 hours f dance every night. She has a tough academic schedule, so I'm a little nervous. She's going to miss a week of school for a dance competition in Ireland in October, so I hoping her teachers will work with her. She is so excited for HS. Her brother is a senior, so he will be looking out for her (she is his favorite sibling).

I'm in! DD14 had her first day of high school on the 12th. I'm so happy to say middle school is now part of this family's past!

Hard to believe high school is starting already, isn't it? Today was DD's first day of school and she's got a volleyball game at a school an hour and a half from home so I'm not sure I'll even get to see her at all. I might be in bed before she gets home! So much for cute first day of school pictures, right? :D

Does anyone else have a child in a fall sport? DD is playing volleyball this year but the demands over the summer were really a rude awakening for her and she's already decided she's not going to play next year. She'd rather have her summers free. Now that school has started she doesn't mind the busy schedule so much, and she's already adding more too it - she brought home the student council application paperwork today and plans on running for freshman rep. I'm just glad she can get herself to and from most everything on her own now so I won't be logging as many miles on chauffeur duty as I did when she was in elem and middle school!

My DD played VB last year (including this summer) but rather abruptly decided a few weeks before school that she wasn't enjoying it and swapped to tennis. I was really skeptical but she hasn't looked back. It's much more laid back, far less stressful. She's very happy with the change.

They started having matches this week and last night she didn't get home until almost 8. The days are long but she seems to be enjoying it.

I hear you on the "so much for cute first day of school pictures". I snapped one out front before she went to the bus stop at 6:15 that morning. Ugh!

After a couple days riding the bus she has taken me up on my offer to drive her to school in the mornings. We stop for a bite to eat (usually a sausage burrito at McDonalds) so that gives us a time to chat. I did that with both boys through high school and enjoy that time. She still gets to sleep later than she would if she was taking the bus.

DD1 started her freshman year last Thursday - eligible for her driver's permit in a month. Yikes!!!

Yeah, DD gets hers in just over a month as well. She's had a countdown app on her phone for months now. She got lucky and they scheduled a teacher work day on her birthday so she can take it that day. Watch out world!

I'm another one with a 2017 and a 2019 kid! Both girls started school today and it is my freshman daughter's birthday! Last night we went to find their lockers and review class locations with their schedules. DD14 was not too scared of starting high school because she started her days last year with classes at the high school each morning. So she's familiar with part of the building, and the before school routine. Last night DD16 told her about how they line up by class at lunch- freshman are last this week, so that was good info to know!

No sports until archery this winter and soccer in the spring. She may be involved in the play this fall, if it's a play she wants to do. That will be a lot of evening practices, but hopefully her sister will be in it too and she can drive.

She has "Jewelry" as an art class (she didn't sign up for it), which intrigues her, but she'd also like to do Advanced Music Studies in that block, so I don't know what she'll do, or if she even qualifies for AMS. Other than it is the usual math, English, science, etc.

Since she turns 14 today, she could try for her drivers permit but she hasn't done a lot of studying yet. She looked through the book yesterday and took the practice test on the app and only missed one. The Iowa practice test app is literally the same questions as the test, with the multiple choice answers even in the same order. You just don't know what assortment of questions you'll get. Some Wednesday afternoon when they get out early we'll go over and give it a try so she can get some driving in before winter.

My daughter doesn't start until the Wed after Labor day. We are going to the first Freshmen and JV football games later today. She is going to watch her cousin and best friend play on the freshmen team. Then, stay for for JV to watch her other best friend cheer. Once school starts, she will have play practice after school. My daughter is not into sports but loves drama club. Last year while she was in 8th grade at the junior HIgh, she auditioned for the high school musical and got a Lead role. The drama teacher told us that she is so happy to have my daughter for the next for years.

My son is a senior and is the drama board treasurer/ fundraiser.

My daughter is having a freshman float party here tomorrow. The are having a bonfire and watch the movie that the Homecoming theme is based on. She was going to twirl for the varsity games but had a hand/thumb injury over the summer and needs 6-8 months recovery. She has decided to quit all of her competitive dance and baton teams and concentrate on school, play, and grades. Last year when she did school, play and dance : it was very difficult for her.

Oldest son started Monday - they had a Freshman-only day and then the rest of the school started yesterday.

He's playing soccer, which has been great for him because he goes into school knowing a lot of kids already - seems like this week was just a continuation of all the soccer stuff that he's been doing since mid-July. :)

Since she turns 14 today, she could try for her drivers permit but she hasn't done a lot of studying yet. She looked through the book yesterday and took the practice test on the app and only missed one. The Iowa practice test app is literally the same questions as the test, with the multiple choice answers even in the same order. You just don't know what assortment of questions you'll get. Some Wednesday afternoon when they get out early we'll go over and give it a try so she can get some driving in before winter.

Mine just turned 14 too, but she can't start driver's ed for another 9 months so at least I've got a little time before that hits! Actually I'm not sure she'll want to take it as soon as she can anyway. My son has been eligible for a long time but didn't consider it a priority until recently so he starts in Oct.

DD wasn't nervous about starting high school at all, but it is a very small school (about 200 students total) and she had math there last year so there really wasn't a lot of unknown left for her to worry about. She was just plain excited. She's got some interesting classes this year, including an online Japanese course as her language and Honors English, and she's been looking forward to some of the extracurriculars. She's already joined the ecology club, is running for student council, and hopes to start an Ocean Sciences Bowl team with an upperclassman she knows who is also very into environmental sciences. I'm just waiting for her to have the maturity to realize the sports she sort-of likes (like volleyball) will have to go to make room for the things she is more interested in, and I'm relieved she seems to be about there when it comes to fall sports at least. I know she'll continue with softball, which has been her favorite sport since she was small, but high school gets way too busy to try to do everything.

Wow, I guess this is me too! My oldest DS is starting his freshman year. It's going to be a big adjustment for us because I have homeschooled him since he was in third grade and this year he's going part-time at the high school. Guess we will see how this goes.

I will have him at the high school, one in the middle school and one in elementary school starting on Tuesday. Can I just say that the amount of back-to-school email that I have been getting for the past month has been insane?!

Hope everyone has a great school year!

Don't know if anyone remembers my thread about Honors English. DD didn't get into it for 8th grade. We discovered that 90% of the kids who made it in all came from 1 teacher who coached the kids on the year-end placement test, 2 other teachers combining for the other 10% of the class.

We had an issue with it because DD has historically had the 2nd best Language Arts scores district wide, some of the kids who made "honors" didn't even get an A in 7th English, and DD wanted to be an English major (still does). Typically, the HS Honors English teacher has only taken kids from the 8th grade honors program, so we weren't happy with the situation.

Well, we're happy to say DD was one of a very small # of kids chosen from the "standard" 8th grade class to be accepted into the HS Honors English program. Whew!!

My daughter turned 14 in Jan. In Michigan, you can start driver's ed at 14yrs and 8 months. Unfortunately, most classes were after school. We were lucky and found a class that is a Saturday and Sunday only that starts in Oct.

Kids can get permits at 15 1/2 in Ohio - my son turns 15 in a couple weeks, so he's already counting down the days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!