Parents of the Class of 2019

Ooh, thanks! Those fish are so cute and we should have a lot of packing styrofoam at work for poking stuff into!

We'll probably only have the resources of Dollar General, so we'll see what else we can come up with there. If we can't get aqua and white balloons we can do the circles of paper like the first pic.

My kid's school still has not released final GPA, rankings, and end of junior year transcripts, so she cannot complete any college apps yet. The school initiated use of a new software system called Skyward last year, and there were many problems. The school decided last week that due to inability to correctly integrate the old system with the new, they are going to enter all the now-seniors junior year classes and grades into the old system and produce the rankings and transcripts. However, the counselor tasked with this has been locked out of the old system all week with no answers from central office. I realize it's still early in the application process, but I feel like we are getting so behind in our self-imposed schedule for completing applications. Then there is the added stress to the students that these many frustrations created by the school cause--it is always something, like several times a week. It is sad, because while the academics are generally very good, so many great teachers get fed up with the administration and leave this campus. We're on our 4th principal in 5 years. I keep telling my daughter how very prepared she is going to be for "adulting" and thriving in college because she has already had to face sooooooo many obstacles (outside the classroom) and frustrations in high school due to the way this school conducts its business.

She just scheduled a session with her tutor for her last SAT test ever! She hasn’t seen him in a while, so I’m not to optimistic. Her superstore is 1440, and I seem to recall 1450 as the magic number for some scholarships at some of the colleges. Her counselor is encouraging setting up some interviews (she’s very personable, there is no way I would’ve encouraged dd22 to interview, but she does have the personality for a CPA so it’s all good).

Since her SAT’s are lower than her ACT’s, if she doesn’t get them up, should she still submit them? She doesn’t have any reach schools on her list.QUOTE]

A few days ago we made a list of each College's score reporting rules for the colleges my daughter plans to apply to. Some require you to report all scores if took both ACT and SAT, some you can choose either all ACT or all SAT, some you can self report your best (with official score sent after acceptance). Almost every school had different requirements. My thought is look at the concordance that the ACT and SAT published jointly this summer to verify which scores are considered better or equivalent, then, if you are not required by a school to send all, send the one that makes her look the best. I completely understand how hard that is to decide! HTH![/QUOTE]

My kid's school still has not released final GPA, rankings, and end of junior year transcripts, so she cannot complete any college apps yet. The school initiated use of a new software system called Skyward last year, and there were many problems. The school decided last week that due to inability to correctly integrate the old system with the new, they are going to enter all the now-seniors junior year classes and grades into the old system and produce the rankings and transcripts. However, the counselor tasked with this has been locked out of the old system all week with no answers from central office. I realize it's still early in the application process, but I feel like we are getting so behind in our self-imposed schedule for completing applications. Then there is the added stress to the students that these many frustrations created by the school cause--it is always something, like several times a week. It is sad, because while the academics are generally very good, so many great teachers get fed up with the administration and leave this campus. We're on our 4th principal in 5 years. I keep telling my daughter how very prepared she is going to be for "adulting" and thriving in college because she has already had to face sooooooo many obstacles (outside the classroom) and frustrations in high school due to the way this school conducts its business.

How frustrating!

Just got back last night from an open house at UNH (New Hampshire) and DS really liked it! He's gone through several different major ideas, but seems pretty set on Zoology right now - which they have, and not too many schools do.

It's bigger than I would have liked at his age, but he doesn't seem daunted by the size. And the distance is in what I consider "the Goldilocks zone" - not too close, not too far.

Very cute fish balloons and coral!

Pollyanna Mom- I agree that one of the colleges that my daughter visited was very large, she thought so too. We are still looking at colleges, last one will be in October. I was always thinking 3 hrs from home was far enough but my middle daughter is transferring to one 12 hrs away yikes! So younger daughter looking at one 5 hours is much closer lol

What date does everyone expect to be done applying to colleges by? We are hoping by end of October.

Just got back last night from an open house at UNH (New Hampshire) and DS really liked it! He's gone through several different major ideas, but seems pretty set on Zoology right now - which they have, and not too many schools do.

It's bigger than I would have liked at his age, but he doesn't seem daunted by the size. And the distance is in what I consider "the Goldilocks zone" - not too close, not too far.
Have you looked at SUNY Oswego? They have zoology-I don't know anything about that program-my DD is a meteorology major there from MA-she got a VERY nice merit package from them plus room & board rates stay the same for 4 years. It's a bit remote up on Lake Ontario but she's very happy there.

My DH & DS just got back from FL. They both liked both Embry-Riddle & FL Tech. DS said if he gets into both plus Clarkson it will be tough to chose. That would be a great problem to have!

My DH isn't a huge Disney fan but he loved staying at Disney's Vero Beach resort that I booked with my DVC points.

DS is taking SATs again 10/6. Those scores are out 10/19 so it would be great to have applications done by 10/31.

FL Tech said they try to make decisions in about 2 weeks.

Have you looked at SUNY Oswego? They have zoology-I don't know anything about that program-my DD is a meteorology major there from MA-she got a VERY nice merit package from them plus room & board rates stay the same for 4 years. It's a bit remote up on Lake Ontario but she's very happy there.

He actually just got some ad cards in the mail from them! He does want to look. It's farther from us here, but I grew up in western NY, and we still have family in the Finger Lakes area, so it's not totally unfamiliar either.

DS is taking SATs again 10/6. Those scores are out 10/19 so it would be great to have applications done by 10/31./QUOTE]

So is DS!

I'm pretty sure Ohio State has a Zoology program, and a close relationship with the Columbus Zoo, too. That's a very large school though. https://eeob.osu.edu/undergrad/zoo/zoology-major

My son is applying to several schools that have a November 1 early-action deadline (including Ohio State, which is very near us). He's hoping to have those done by mid-October. He's also applying to a couple that have a December 1 early-action deadline. He'd really like to get them all done in one big swoop, but has definitely prioritized the November 1 schools as far as supplemental essays, etc.

What date does everyone expect to be done applying to colleges by? We are hoping by end of October.

I'm hoping to be done by mid-Oct, right after our Wellesley senior weekend and admission interview. She's applying binding early decision there and non-binding to the three fall-backs that are still on her list and I'm hoping that'll be the end of it.

Our goal is also end of October. Tomorrow night is another session with DD's college coach--hoping they'll knock out another 3 or 4 (final three likelies/plus "wildcard" UF); two weeks later another 3/4 (targets). DD has been not sticking with the plan of focusing on her grades and proving last semester was an anomaly so I told her if her grades don't look good by the time Q1 is done (10/10) then I wouldn't allow her to apply for any reach schools. She's interviewing at one of her top choices at the end of October; I think she's waiting for that to decide whether it will be her Early Decision application. I am so ready for this to be over!

For the schools my son is looking at, Early Decision (binding) is November 1 or December 1. He's not applying to any schools under Early Decision.

Early Action (non-binding) is November 1 or December 1, and those are the dates that put you in contention for merit scholarships. Those are the dates he's planning to hit.

Then Regular Decision is usually ongoing through February, I think.

That sounds about right - Nov. 1st is the date we're aiming for on most schools that our son is applying to. Right now, it looks like 6 or 7 schools. Probably will apply Early Decision to RIT (they have a 'friendly' ED, so it's not truly binding) and Early Action everywhere else.

Next Monday, the FAFSA opens up for 2019-20 school year, so after that date, most applications can start to get completed.

I'm pretty sure Ohio State has a Zoology program, and a close relationship with the Columbus Zoo, too. That's a very large school though. https://eeob.osu.edu/undergrad/zoo/zoology-major
My son is applying to several schools that have a November 1 early-action deadline (including Ohio State, which is very near us). He's hoping to have those done by mid-October. He's also applying to a couple that have a December 1 early-action deadline. He'd really like to get them all done in one big swoop, but has definitely prioritized the November 1 schools as far as supplemental essays, etc.
Supplemental essays, she has a bunch. Udel doesn’t require them for the honors college, but if she chooses to write them, she has to write all 5. I think there are about 10 more for her to write in total.

My nephew just graduated from UNH and loved it. He studied engineering. I applied to it too back in the day, and remembered liking it. Didn’t end up going there though.

Supplemental essays, she has a bunch. Udel doesn’t require them for the honors college, but if she chooses to write them, she has to write all 5. I think there are about 10 more for her to write in total.
Tried to ask DS last night how many different essays in total he thinks he’ll have to write. He really couldn’t tell me...grr. He said he’s taking care of it all, and I said yes, but you’re not communicating any of it very well. I am just ready for the applications to be in. And we’ve only just started. He has two Nov. 1 deadlines and a Nov. 15 and then some January but says he plans to be done with everything by Nov. 1. That’s going to sneak up on us, I think.

Yesterday DD told me how much she loves her Botany class. She is not a science person and is not going to want to take more science than is necessary for gen eds so she'd like to have botany as one of them. I looked online and the only college on her list that has a Plant Science as a gen ed option is the school that I'd like her to choose. Another point in their favor! It's becoming the obvious choice for many reasons but she isn't ready to admit it.

And just as DD was accepting the fact that she wouldn't have a date for Homecoming this Saturday, she got one. A freshman boy from youth group asked her in the hall yesterday. She didn't even know his name until Sunday night. She was a little aggravated at going with someone she doesn't really know but has come around to deciding maybe it will be fun or at least interesting. Plus he is a football player so she can borrow his extra jersey to wear Friday. Court girls are supposed to wear one and it's cooler to wear somebody's instead of a practice jersey.

I'm so proud of myself for hemming her dress myself last night! My mom normally does this stuff but can't right now. I looked online for instructions for hemming chiffon but then just did it my own way and it turned out fine.

Homecoming is this weekend here, too.

My son (my senior) isn't planning to go. He conveniently "forgot" to ask off from work, and is scheduled. It doesn't sound like most of his friends are planning to go either though. Sounds like they might be planning to hang out at someone's house that evening instead so he'll probably go to that after he gets off work. Of course, maybe he did really forget. Because he also forgot to ask off for Friday, which is his 18th birthday. He's working then, too.

My freshman daughter *is* planning to go to homecoming and -- oh my goodness, the drama! First, she heard through the grapevine that a boy was planning to ask her... but it wasn't someone she really wanted to go with, so she wasn't sure what to do (she didn't want to be mean, but... ) But that invitation never materialized, so crisis was averted, I guess. Then she planned to go with a group of friends. Then one of the girls got mad at her (this particular girl is always mad at SOMEONE. It's DD's turn, I guess. This is a middle-school friendship and I will NOT be sorry if this one fades away.) That girl has been harassing my daughter over the last week or so telling her she needs to pull out of the homecoming group. It finally came to a head yesterday and thankfully, it appears that the other girls have DD's back. They told the angry girl that nobody's getting kicked out of the group. Angry girl said she refuses to come if DD is there. They said "I guess that's your choice to make." So currently the angry girl isn't coming... but I think there could still be continued drama. My son NEVER had this much drama. Is it girls? Is it her? Ugh. Not ready for this!

I also, and this was a poor decision on my part, scheduled my son's senior photos for mid-October. Nice foliage hopefully, plus he'd still have his cross-country uniform if he wants any photos in it (at first said he did, now saying he doesn't.) But, I need him to start thinking about what he wants, what he plans to wear, etc... and it's all during CRUNCH TIME for applications, etc. Now I'm wishing we'd done it earlier or later, regardless of the foliage. I think it's only a 60 minute appointment, so it shouldn't make-or-break anything... but it's one more stress on top of everything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter