Parents of the Class of 2019

Hello, poking my head in. Just learned about you today. I have two DS, 17 and about to turn 15 so classes of 2019 and 2021. DS17 just got his drivers license today and is in the thick of college board testing, just got back his ACT score (did very well, may not need to take it again) and is taking the SAT in a few weeks. We’ve toured one college so far and need to put some more on the calendar. Can’t believe how it’s changed since we applied. Much more competitive and while he is an excellent student, does sports and other school activities, he’s not a straight A student and isn’t you know, like curing cancer or anything, so the whole process makes me nervous. Anyway, that’s all for now. Will look forward to catching up on this thread.

Hi Eureka!! So glad you found it! Like I said on the other thread, I think you will find us "sharing and caring" over here as we are all figuring the same things out. Feel free to ask any questions and feel free to share any victories, frustrations, disappointments, etc.
I agree with you, it is all soooo very different from when I applied to college.

Well, we had the first head-butting over the car. I left work at 5:00 Wednesday and the rain was freezing on my windshield. DD was at play rehearsal which didn't end until 8:00. Texted her & told her to get home NOW and I got a little pushback. Had to remind her who actually OWNS that car.

So glad to find this thread! I have a senior DD (2018) and a junior DD (2019) and boy this growing up thing came upon me sooo fast! Excited and nervous but trying to help them make good decisions regarding colleges and everything else! Looking forward to reading the previous posts and will share as we navigate our way through. Happy to be here!

So glad to find this thread! I have a senior DD (2018) and a junior DD (2019) and boy this growing up thing came upon me sooo fast! Excited and nervous but trying to help them make good decisions regarding colleges and everything else! Looking forward to reading the previous posts and will share as we navigate our way through. Happy to be here!

I just found this today, too! I need to read through it some more but it's nice to know I'm not alone navigating the rest of high school years (16 months and counting for DD!)

Welcome! I have a similar situation. DD (‘18) and DS (‘19). Their sister has gone through college but it seems so much more involved than even in 2012 when she graduated HS. It has been a challenging year juggling applications for her and visits for each of them.

DS and I visited MI state over Presidents Day weekend. It’s still one of his two top choices, despite the cold, gray weather. The Engineering dept. was very impressive. We’ll go see his other top choice this summer.

I’m so excited for them but a little sad this chapter will be moving to a new one before too much longer! It’s flying by!!!

Hello, poking my head in. Just learned about you today. I have two DS, 17 and about to turn 15 so classes of 2019 and 2021. DS17 just got his drivers license today and is in the thick of college board testing, just got back his ACT score (did very well, may not need to take it again) and is taking the SAT in a few weeks. We’ve toured one college so far and need to put some more on the calendar. Can’t believe how it’s changed since we applied. Much more competitive and while he is an excellent student, does sports and other school activities, he’s not a straight A student and isn’t you know, like curing cancer or anything, so the whole process makes me nervous. Anyway, that’s all for now. Will look forward to catching up on this thread.

Welcome! I don't know what area of the country you are in, but around me there are plenty of schools that aren't super competitive to get in, so we aren't going to go through the stress of trying! I've mainly been focusing on small publics. Do you have any good "safety" options?

Ugh, I've gone and started falling in love with a school that's not as cheap as those small publics. My mom sent me an email about a group trip being planned in our area that would give us a free hotel stay the night before the tour. It's affiliated with our church. She really wants a Christian school and our own denomination would be ideal, but so far I've been telling her it costs too much. It's not too far away, unlike some of the publics that have the better offers. I looked at the courses in a major that she's considering and it fits her to a tee, more than other schools I've looked at. I don't know whether to talk to her about what they offer in that major because after automatic merit, it's around $23,000/year. Maybe with a music scholarship and others we could get it close to $20,000. She can go to a small public for $10-$15K, but even that is really a lot of money to spend for us/her. So the question is whether to even visit (with a caveat I guess that it likely won't work out?) and let her potentially love it.

My DS has been changing his mind so often lately that my head is spinning. This week, he wants to take a gap year.

Here too, DD chose a potential new major and minor this weekend, and suddenly decided that for the right price, a weird mascot can be tolerated! Just gives me more stuff and options to research. I don't think she'll ever say she wants a gap year though. She is so anxious to figure out where she's going and what she's taking even though she doesn't need to figure that out completely, yet.

Welcome! I don't know what area of the country you are in, but around me there are plenty of schools that aren't super competitive to get in, so we aren't going to go through the stress of trying! I've mainly been focusing on small publics. Do you have any good "safety" options?

Ugh, I've gone and started falling in love with a school that's not as cheap as those small publics. My mom sent me an email about a group trip being planned in our area that would give us a free hotel stay the night before the tour. It's affiliated with our church. She really wants a Christian school and our own denomination would be ideal, but so far I've been telling her it costs too much. It's not too far away, unlike some of the publics that have the better offers. I looked at the courses in a major that she's considering and it fits her to a tee, more than other schools I've looked at. I don't know whether to talk to her about what they offer in that major because after automatic merit, it's around $23,000/year. Maybe with a music scholarship and others we could get it close to $20,000. She can go to a small public for $10-$15K, but even that is really a lot of money to spend for us/her. So the question is whether to even visit (with a caveat I guess that it likely won't work out?) and let her potentially love it.
Hi! We are in Maryland and he likes UMd but even that is competitive and pricey. We are looking at some smaller private schools as well but he seems to be a little "picky," thinking he doesn't "want to be the smartest person there" (which we tell him will not happen!!) He should be able to get some merit scholarships, especially at the smaller liberal arts places. We shall see....

DD's passport came today, and her medical form and final payment are due at the end of the week. This Japan thing is getting WAY TOO REAL right now! :eek:

Out of an abundance of caution and with the full knowledge that this will make me a real danger to the household budget, I applied for one for myself on Saturday. I just feel better having it with DD16 going overseas on her own, but a friend also recently told me about a low-cost airline that flies to a number of European cities so I'm thinking maybe I ought to apply for one for DD9 as well just in case my next spur-of-the-moment trip takes us somewhere other than Florida. ;)

DD's passport came today, and her medical form and final payment are due at the end of the week. This Japan thing is getting WAY TOO REAL right now! :eek:

Out of an abundance of caution and with the full knowledge that this will make me a real danger to the household budget, I applied for one for myself on Saturday. I just feel better having it with DD16 going overseas on her own, but a friend also recently told me about a low-cost airline that flies to a number of European cities so I'm thinking maybe I ought to apply for one for DD9 as well just in case my next spur-of-the-moment trip takes us somewhere other than Florida. ;)
My kids have traveled out of the country without me (dd16 several times, sometimes with just her dance teachers). My passport expired in January, it hit me months later that dd20 took a class in Greece in January, and if anything had happened, I couldn’t get to her. I will make sure to have a valid passport the next time a fami,y member is traveling overseas.

Hi! We are in Maryland and he likes UMd but even that is competitive and pricey. We are looking at some smaller private schools as well but he seems to be a little "picky," thinking he doesn't "want to be the smartest person there" (which we tell him will not happen!!) He should be able to get some merit scholarships, especially at the smaller liberal arts places. We shall see....

My daughter and I were talking earlier today about considering smaller schools because it might be a good thing sometimes to be a big fish in a little pond. This conversation came about because she showed me some Instagram photos of one of her former gymnastics teammates who is away at college—she is a cheerleader at the college, in a sorority, and involved in all kinds of campus activities like dances and games and campus leadership. We discussed how her friend was kind of getting a “high school re-do”—all the common high school activities that, because of competitive gymnastics, her friend never got to do in high school, and how it would be harder to be as involved in campus life on that scale at one of our huge public universities.
Food for thought...

My daughter and I were talking earlier today about considering smaller schools because it might be a good thing sometimes to be a big fish in a little pond. This conversation came about because she showed me some Instagram photos of one of her former gymnastics teammates who is away at college—she is a cheerleader at the college, in a sorority, and involved in all kinds of campus activities like dances and games and campus leadership. We discussed how her friend was kind of getting a “high school re-do”—all the common high school activities that, because of competitive gymnastics, her friend never got to do in high school, and how it would be harder to be as involved in campus life on that scale at one of our huge public universities.
Food for thought...
Yes, and that’s why even with some of the bigger state schools DS is looking at, we keep mentioning the honors programs because it makes a big school much smaller in some senses.

First official visit scheduled - University of Iowa 03/30/2018.

Enjoy visiting Iowa!

I almost have our first visit scheduled- just waiting to see if DD19 will be off work and wants to ride along. Our church district is planning a group visit and I have to tell them how many to expect so it's not official, yet. Planning to visit Concordia University in Nebraska in a couple weeks.

DD also wants to visit University of Central Arkansas now. I'm trying to figure out if we can do a quickie flight down and back next month.

First official visit scheduled - University of Iowa 03/30/2018.

I love the campus! One of my high school teachers was a professor there until about a year ago so when I went to visit her she gave us a great tour. I hope you enjoy!

So far my daughter just wants to visit 2 of our state schools (Columbia and Rolla).

She found out today she's going to Girls' State in June and is pretty excited about that.

Congrats on Girls State. Guessing y'all are in MO?

And in our news, DD19 tour of Columbia was cancelled for this weekend because yesterday my phone blew up with texts and emails from Delta with flight change waivers due to weather. We can't risk getting stranded in ATL or NYC so no tour anytime soon. Drat. Best laid plans and all that...

I love the campus! One of my high school teachers was a professor there until about a year ago so when I went to visit her she gave us a great tour. I hope you enjoy!

Congrats on Girls State. Guessing y'all are in MO?

And in our news, DD19 tour of Columbia was cancelled for this weekend because yesterday my phone blew up with texts and emails from Delta with flight change waivers due to weather. We can't risk getting stranded in ATL or NYC so no tour anytime soon. Drat. Best laid plans and all that...
Thanks! And yes, we're in MO.

That's so disappointing about your visit being canceled. We have to drive to the destinations our DD is considering, which is a pain, and which is very complicated when weather is bad. But at least we don't have the flight issues to consider. I hope you get rescheduled soon and get moving forward with planning!

We're driving to Wisconsin to visit our son who moved there in August for a new job, so I'm sort of hesitant to throw in a college visit this month. (He's right by University of Wisconsin so maybe we should visit while we're there! ;))Maybe in April. We really need to get out before the end of the school year. The whole point was to see the campus with all the students there and classes in session. And fall will be a nightmare with tennis and a very heavy courseload. This really needs to happen now.

Thanks! And yes, we're in MO.

That's so disappointing about your visit being canceled. We have to drive to the destinations our DD is considering, which is a pain, and which is very complicated when weather is bad. But at least we don't have the flight issues to consider. I hope you get rescheduled soon and get moving forward with planning!

We're driving to Wisconsin to visit our son who moved there in August for a new job, so I'm sort of hesitant to throw in a college visit this month. (He's right by University of Wisconsin so maybe we should visit while we're there! ;))Maybe in April. We really need to get out before the end of the school year. The whole point was to see the campus with all the students there and classes in session. And fall will be a nightmare with tennis and a very heavy courseload. This really needs to happen now.

I think Madison would be tempting to visit, too :)

I knew it was risky to try to get to New York in March but thought the opportunity waa too good to pass up (plus it's been warm and sunny here so kind of forgot about the Groundhog's warning:rolleyes:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter