Parents of the Class of 2019

We have done 2 college visits. Last October we visited Bowling Green State here in Ohio and this past Friday we toured Ohio University. DS is planning on Broadcast Journalism and they both have great programs. He has liked both. Still plan on visiting Kent State which is only 1/2 hour from us so he has been there visiting friends before.

He took the ACT in December and did well. Will take it next week at school with all the juniors. I might also schedule him for the April date. He is working at a YMCA Camp - Camp Fitch in PA for 6 weeks this summer. He has been a camper there for the last 7 years and did the Counselor In Training program last year so he was happy to be hired. It will be weird for him to be gone 6 weeks and as soon as he gets back Marching Band will start. He has had a job since last July at and is hoping that they will hold his job and let him come back after camp.

I didn’t even know the ACT scores were in, dd got them up to 34, so she might be done (although she takes the SAT again next month. She is heading to Udel right now with a friend, and fell in love with a private school in CT on Monday (over $62,000 a year, but her stats would probably give her a lot ofmerit money, based on those we know who attended). Even if she gets accepted into her reach schools, we can’t afford them.

^^ and so sorry about the accident, it’s a horrible call to get, glad she’s ok.
Congrats to her! That's awesome!

No, I’m going to tell her it’s one we can visit IF accepted, and with an 11% acceptance rate, this one is a reach.

I agree that is a good plan. I may push mine in that direction or wait for a special program [see below] to come up again. We did the virtual tour together. It was pretty good. My DD got an invite to a Women in Engineering program there in March. She really wanted to go but it was going to be costly because I could not find airfare that would let her fly the same day and get there in time, so that would involve an extra overnight, plus an adult to go with her. Also, we already were signed up for that same day for a full day of tours and events at another school here in Texas, and her boyfriend is riding with us to attend an accepted students event at the same time. In the end, it seemed better to wait. I am hoping they will have another that works for our schedule. We were in DC in December 2016 for a quick last minute 4 day vacation and I tried to get her to choose a school to visit in the area while we were there, (would have been easy to head the Johns Hopkins for the day) but she insisted she was SO tired and just wanted to see the sights. Missed opportunity.

I know it is a good problem to have, but she is getting so many invitations to programs like this--I don't want her to miss out, and I think these tours and programs targeted to her probable major are sometimes better in helping her know if she likes the school than the general tours, but I need to say no and be financially responsible more often than I'd like. It's just so hard to narrow it all down, and I am already feeling a little fatigued by it all.

Well, we are only 3 hours away, and SIL lives in the DC area and is always begging us to visit. I think we will hit up some PA schools spring break. Dd wants to go out of state (just because all of the better programs for her major are out of state), but within a 4 hour drive.

If my DD tells me she gets 3 school days to visit colleges any more, I am tired of hearing it. She wants to see Pitt, but DH and I say no. Bucknell and maybe Penn State are our picks. We want her to stay in state, but she is wanting to be a resident and not commute. DH wants her to go to our local community college for 2 years and commute, then can go away for last 2 years. She is not on board with that. Sigh. At least we convinced her she could commute for medical school.

SAT next month, as well as getting her driver’s license. That and Spring soccer, it will be a busy Spring.

If my DD tells me she gets 3 school days to visit colleges any more, I am tired of hearing it. She wants to see Pitt, but DH and I say no. Bucknell and maybe Penn State are our picks. We want her to stay in state, but she is wanting to be a resident and not commute. DH wants her to go to our local community college for 2 years and commute, then can go away for last 2 years. She is not on board with that. Sigh. At least we convinced her she could commute for medical school.

SAT next month, as well as getting her driver’s license. That and Spring soccer, it will be a busy Spring.
Why no Pitt? My DH graduated from there. Great school and I love Pittsburgh.

I just signed DS up for the ACT in April. Hopefully, like a PP said, they're more comfortable the second time around and he might score a little better.

Why no Pitt? My DH graduated from there. Great school and I love Pittsburgh.

Because I did some graduate work there and did not enjoy the campus. Though we will still visit it, as my brother, years ago, went to Carnegie M, and I have a friend that lives in Cranberry Township and another friend that is right outside of town. I would like her closer to home, but maybe as I went to undergraduate north of Pitt.

Are you from Pitt area? She wants a big or medium school, so Pitt, Penn State and Temple are the big ones. It will be a fun road trip crossing the state.

Because I did some graduate work there and did not enjoy the campus. Though we will still visit it, as my brother, years ago, went to Carnegie M, and I have a friend that lives in Cranberry Township and another friend that is right outside of town. I would like her closer to home, but maybe as I went to undergraduate north of Pitt.

Are you from Pitt area? She wants a big or medium school, so Pitt, Penn State and Temple are the big ones. It will be a fun road trip crossing the state.
We used to live in Cranberry Twp. We are in Twinsburg, OH now but both of my boys were born in Pittsburgh and I grew up in Crawford Co., south of Erie. Where did you go? I graduated from IUP.

We used to live in Cranberry Twp. We are in Twinsburg, OH now but both of my boys were born in Pittsburgh and I grew up in Crawford Co., south of Erie. Where did you go? I graduated from IUP.

Thiel College. My brother lives in Ohio too, near Akron. Small world.

We're in Broadview Hts. and I grew up in Erie - my brother lives in Cranberry Twp. now. Again, small world :)

Our son has officially visited University of Denver and Syracuse U., but SU was just because he was going with another family who was visiting and then going to a basketball game at the Carrier Dome. He's still very interested in DU, but I'm not sure he's ready to go to college 2,000 miles away.

Next month, we're touring Univ. of Cincy - he's also just applied to their summer engineering program. He wants to go into Mechanical Engineering. He's also looking at Dayton as well as a local choice, Univ. of Akron. He's also mentioned Carnegie Mellon and Case Western, but I think those are stretch schools. The school is hosting an ACT exam next Tuesday during the school day, which will be his second time taking it. Last time, he took it completely cold with no prep and ended up with a 25. This time, he's at least doing some practice exams and other prep on free sites online, so we'll see where he stands. We're talking to a couple tutors - we're hoping he can get the ACT up to 30 or 31, but we'll see.

As a side note, his Robotics team had their first ever competition last Friday. In a group of 60 teams (they were the only first time competitors) they finished 12th, which was pretty amazing. They drew a lot of attention from some really serious robotic teams, who wanted to pair up with them for the knockout round. My son is already starting to plan for next year's competition and wants to get a jump on it as soon as the new challenge is announce in April. :)

Penn State has a good Engineering major. Good luck with his search, Soccerdad72. And congratulations to him for finishing so high for the first time. Neither of my kids are into robotic stuff, well my older one, only if it's in a video game. They both used to use the LEGO stuff that you could make robots out of, but that stopped when both got to junior high school.

Hello, poking my head in. Just learned about you today. I have two DS, 17 and about to turn 15 so classes of 2019 and 2021. DS17 just got his drivers license today and is in the thick of college board testing, just got back his ACT score (did very well, may not need to take it again) and is taking the SAT in a few weeks. We’ve toured one college so far and need to put some more on the calendar. Can’t believe how it’s changed since we applied. Much more competitive and while he is an excellent student, does sports and other school activities, he’s not a straight A student and isn’t you know, like curing cancer or anything, so the whole process makes me nervous. Anyway, that’s all for now. Will look forward to catching up on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter