Parents of HS class of 2020

Well, DD had her "graduation" today and it was as nice as you can make an online graduation. It featured the obligatory speech by our School Board member, the superintendent, and the principal, plus the Senior Class president and valedictorian. The school board member was okay and all of the other speakers were brief and actually quite good. All in all, it was as good as they could do and DD and her classmates enjoyed it.

But we are getting SO tired of DRIVE-BYS! OMG! We had two yesterday afternoon, one yesterday at Noon, one Saturday evening -- and we have at least one more this week. EVERYBODY wants a damn drive-by!

Come to think of it, I think I'm going to demand one for Father's day. It's only right...right?

Glad your daughter enjoyed her online graduation!

Here's your virtual drive-by:car: and an early Happy Father's Day to you.

edited- fixed typo

Last edited:

Glad your daughter enjoyed her online graduation!

Here's your virtual drive-by:car: and an eRLY HAPPY Father's Day to you.
That's it? No chicken wings? No Freedom Tower? No ice cream cake?

In Orlando Florida right now- the family went to walk around UCF campus while I did the “work from home” thing. We had weeks of our timeshare to use so why not? Florida entered phase 2 Friday. I think it made it a bit more “real” to the kiddo that this is going to be “home”.
@JimMIA congrats to the DD! Glad the online graduations was so nice. I hear ya on the “drive by” and “virtual” stuff.

In Orlando Florida right now- the family went to walk around UCF campus while I did the “work from home” thing. We had weeks of our timeshare to use so why not? Florida entered phase 2 Friday. I think it made it a bit more “real” to the kiddo that this is going to be “home”.
@JimMIA congrats to the DD! Glad the online graduations was so nice. I hear ya on the “drive by” and “virtual” stuff.
Hmmm...

We're from Missouri...

Timeshare at WDW...

Daughter enrolling at UCF...

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here!

HEY!!! She can use your timeshare to throw huge parties! She won't have to rent an AirBnB!

And please don't tell me she's in the Rosen School of Hospitality Management!

If you are waiting for some dorm stuff from Pottery Barn, you may want to check with them on your order.

We ordered DD the “perfect” duvet cover from the pottery barn over a month ago. When we placed the order they told us it would be in stock August 3 and we should receive it by the 14th. DW called yesterday to check the status and they told her it would be delayed until Sep 15th. DW and DD are shopping for a replacement.

Just wanted to share this in case someone else is in a similar situation. I understand that supply chains are a little strained at the moment and I don’t blame PB for the delay, I just wish they let us know when they found out it was going to be late.

Reactions: rlk
Is everyone actually moving in to dorms? DS is planning on it but his Aug 20th move in has been pushed back at least 2 weeks. Sounds like many students are staying home. I believe all his classes are online anyway but he is looking forward to move in. I have not bought one thing for him yet.

My sophomores school decides to limited who is staying on campus to invitations only. Meaning only select grad students and seniors or students with certain majors that have class that can not be converted to online. My freshman is moving into his dorm on August 22. He will have mostly online classes except for his lab classes.

Don't know if anyone read about this concept:
https://www.businessinsider.com/2-p...us-hotels-remote-hawaii-college-photos-2020-8

Is everyone actually moving in to dorms?
Yes. UCF in Orlando started early move-in yesterday. Most of the early move in is for fraternity/sorority rush, RA's moving in, or marching band (?).

DD18, an entering freshman, is moving in on Aug 22, and classes start on Aug 24. All of her classes are currently online, but she still wants to have the "college experience." I believe she is the last of the four girls in her dorm suite to move in.

At UCF, every dorm resident will be covid-tested as part of the check-in process. Tests taken anywhere other than during check-in are not accepted. Each student, and every faculty/staff member will be given a washable, reusable mask and masks are required everywhere on-campus, including if you are alone in your car. The school purchased 100,000 reusable masks for that purpose and tons of disposable masks for visitors, vendors, etc.

My DD is moving in August 18. They staggered the move in dates. She is the first of 3 friends that are all sharing a suite. One moves in the 19th and the last on the 20th. Most of her classes have moved to online but she still gets the experience of living in her own and she and her friends are so excited to share their suite! She has her own bedroom, because she likes her alone time, the other 2 girls are sharing.

Yes. UCF in Orlando started early move-in yesterday. Most of the early move in is for fraternity/sorority rush, RA's moving in, or marching band (?).

DD18, an entering freshman, is moving in on Aug 22, and classes start on Aug 24. All of her classes are currently online, but she still wants to have the "college experience." I believe she is the last of the four girls in her dorm suite to move in.

At UCF, every dorm resident will be covid-tested as part of the check-in process. Tests taken anywhere other than during check-in are not accepted. Each student, and every faculty/staff member will be given a washable, reusable mask and masks are required everywhere on-campus, including if you are alone in your car. The school purchased 100,000 reusable masks for that purpose and tons of disposable masks for visitors, vendors, etc.

I just moved my Junior DD in. They were given 5 reusable masks. I spent a few hours walking around campus during day and night. During the day I would say about 100% masks. At night it seemed the bigger the group the less likely the mask wearing. Will be interesting to see how this goes. I think they are not supposed to be in bigger groups than 15 but I saw bigger. It’s not like they can police that 24 hrs a day. I just hope they stay safe and do the smart thing. They are not allowed in each other’s dorm rooms but I think they are just going to offsite apartments instead. DD’s university pushed up 2 weeks and I think they will be one of the first to start this week. They also had to have a negative Covid test to move in.

Reactions: rlk
We moved dd in on the 5th at Marietta College in OH. She was part of the Leadership Program so she had to move in a few days before the rest of the freshmen. Most classes will be in person, but with fewer kids/class for social distancing. Some virtual may be required. Masks on if you are anywhere but in your own dorm room, including going to the hallway bathrooms. Their temperature must be taken and a Covid form must be filled out before heading to class each day. The school has an app for ordering food/pickup and a tent is set up for outdoor dining. I appreciate that they’re trying so hard to give these kids a true college experience. (I know this is also because they don’t want to lose students.) Luckily, with a small school, they can make these adjustments.

Yes-mine is moving in the 18th. She is in Nike. She still has one in person lab.
I ordered stuff for her from Amazon and have a couple things sent to an amazon locker near our resort (arrival date for those items is after we leave to drive her down).
Completely off topic but neat--we had a small grad party for both girls this weekend-mostly friends and family we've already been seeing. My husbands mentor from his college days came (he's kept in touch with her, and live in same town). Her husband is an aeronautical engineer and worked on the Mercury project-the major my DD is going into. So she got to meet (and hear stories-he knew John Glenn!) a real life rocket scientist! She is really excited to start her college career now.

Move in is 8/16- a week from today. Just boxed up daughters items and made a list of last minute things to pick up. She made a list of errands she needs to run this week.

She'll have online classes and 2 hybrid.

Head's up- we looked for printers in store yesterday at Best Buy and Office Depot. None in box. Must order online! That surprised me.

The college was featured on a morning news show today and has done their best to make things as safe as possible.

Daughter has been cautious. She asked her roommate if she and her family want to meet somewhere in town and they asked for an outdoor restaurant option. So I see that as a good sign that they are cautious, too.

DD is going. She’s one of the last of her friends to leave (closer to Labor Day). Some are starting to leave tomorrow. I’m surprised that many of her friends that said they were not going are now going. Good luck to all of the 2020 kids!

My DD is also moving in the same weekend as JimMIA. I am worried but she really is looking forward to it, so I am being as positive as I can be about the whole process.

She does still have two classes in person, the rest will be online. Realistically it is only 8 weeks. She will be home for Thanksgiving break and will remain home as classes are all remote after that point anyway. So she just has to stay healthy for those 8 weeks. I pray that the number of kids will be way down, so it will be more manageable to keep them all distant and safe.

It is so hard to send your child off to school...even harder with COVID. Good luck to all of you!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter