Parents of HS class of 2020

Today was our day for virtual graduation filming. Each senior had an appointed time. Pictures first then walk to the stage and she crossed the stage to her family and I gave her the diploma. Then pictures and we left. The school is going to edit all the seniors and show a graduation video released on their original grad date. It was different and weird but our local ice cream shop has dole whips. We ended with a trip there.

So do I spend $40 for a cap and gown that is basically a souvenir? They said we could send a photo in to the school, but it's not even going to make it into the yearbook. :(

DD is supposed to go have her photo taken for graduation tomorrow. Honestly, my mind and heart aren't really in it, and I feel terrible about that. We picked up her cap and gown, tassels, and medal yesterday.

@Pembo, ice cream is a great way to celebrate. I think we will do something on the day the graduation airs, which is the same day they were supposed to graduate in person. I haven't decided what to do yet. I really need to get on that.

@FigmentSpark, If your kiddo doesn't really care much, I wouldn't worry about purchasing a cap and gown. I feel like they aren't often kept. I don't have mine from HS or college and DD didn't even want hers. :rolleyes:

@JimMIA , I hope the dorm situation sorts itself out. That really stinks for your DD. So much is up in the air, it would have been nice for her to at least have that settled.

In other news, today we found out someone filed unemployment benefits in my husband's name back in March. We are trying to clear all that up now and figure out how his SS# got stollen. I miss 2019. Lol

We were supposed to go to Disney in April for DD's graduation trip and then we moved it to July but now we have decided not to go. We will loose the money we paid for DVC rental points but I just can't see going and I really don't want her graduation trip to be with all of us wearing masks and half the trip we had originally planned for her.

My oldest son (he's a HS junior) just got notified that all the college kicking camps for scouting have been canceled this summer. I really hope he gets to play football this fall for school. It will be heartbreaking to have another senior in our family miss out. It has been hard enough watching DD, I don't think I can stomach watching DS go through it as well.

However, I am thankful we are healthy. I know we are lucky to have jobs, and housing, and food. I am trying to focus on the positives when I can. DS just found out he is in NHS, so that is a nice reward for his hard work. Other then that, we have two AP tests left (first two went well), and we are almost to summer! Also my twins have a birthday next week, and I am just excited to have an excuse to make two cakes! :tongue: I have started running again just to do something different and get out of the house. It is finally getting a bit easier. (Small win...and means I can eat more of the two cakes.)

Take care everyone! Hang in there and congratulations to all the graduates!!

So do I spend $40 for a cap and gown that is basically a souvenir? They said we could send a photo in to the school, but it's not even going to make it into the yearbook. :(
I got my daughters cap and gown, she will be doing a photo shoot with it next week. I still wanted her to have it even if they decide not to the rescheduled in person ceremony on July 18th. At least I will have some cute pictures! She will be wearing her college sweatshirt underneath the cap and gown for some photos as well. I am also having her wear a mask in a couple of her shots and her Disney graduation ears we ordered last month. I'm excited for some photos to commemorate these weird times we are living in.

DD is supposed to go have her photo taken for graduation tomorrow. Honestly, my mind and heart aren't really in it, and I feel terrible about that. We picked up her cap and gown, tassels, and medal yesterday.

@Pembo, ice cream is a great way to celebrate. I think we will do something on the day the graduation airs, which is the same day they were supposed to graduate in person. I haven't decided what to do yet. I really need to get on that.

@FigmentSpark, If your kiddo doesn't really care much, I wouldn't worry about purchasing a cap and gown. I feel like they aren't often kept. I don't have mine from HS or college and DD didn't even want hers. :rolleyes:

@JimMIA , I hope the dorm situation sorts itself out. That really stinks for your DD. So much is up in the air, it would have been nice for her to at least have that settled.

In other news, today we found out someone filed unemployment benefits in my husband's name back in March. We are trying to clear all that up now and figure out how his SS# got stollen. I miss 2019. Lol

We were supposed to go to Disney in April for DD's graduation trip and then we moved it to July but now we have decided not to go. We will loose the money we paid for DVC rental points but I just can't see going and I really don't want her graduation trip to be with all of us wearing masks and half the trip we had originally planned for her.

My oldest son (he's a HS junior) just got notified that all the college kicking camps for scouting have been canceled this summer. I really hope he gets to play football this fall for school. It will be heartbreaking to have another senior in our family miss out. It has been hard enough watching DD, I don't think I can stomach watching DS go through it as well.

However, I am thankful we are healthy. I know we are lucky to have jobs, and housing, and food. I am trying to focus on the positives when I can. DS just found out he is in NHS, so that is a nice reward for his hard work. Other then that, we have two AP tests left (first two went well), and we are almost to summer! Also my twins have a birthday next week, and I am just excited to have an excuse to make two cakes! :tongue: I have started running again just to do something different and get out of the house. It is finally getting a bit easier. (Small win...and means I can eat more of the two cakes.)

We rescheduled our graduation trip for 2021. We don 't want to go with all the uncertainty this summer either. Wait until next year when there will hopefully be a vaccine and things will be more fun. I hope your son gets to play football in the fall! Stay healthy and congrats to your Senior!

I got my daughters cap and gown, she will be doing a photo shoot with it next week. I still wanted her to have it even if they decide not to the rescheduled in person ceremony on July 18th. At least I will have some cute pictures! She will be wearing her college sweatshirt underneath the cap and gown for some photos as well. I am also having her wear a mask in a couple of her shots and her Disney graduation ears we ordered last month. I'm excited for some photos to commemorate these weird times we are living in.
Great photo ideas! I hope they are able to pull off the ceremony in July. Our local high schools are also scheduled to have a ceremony on 7/18.

It'll be fine. In a way, it's a good thing to have that kind of flakiness now, rather than later. She has the option of doing the roommate search on the portal, or just letting UCF assign her roommates. Either one will be fine.

There is an amazing amount of phishing going on right now -- so much so that I check the actual email address (NOT who it says it's from) before even looking at an email. The good thing is your DH doesn't need to file unemployment. That would have really been a mess!

We were supposed to go to Disney in April for DD's graduation trip and then we moved it to July but now we have decided not to go.
I hate to see you lose the money, but I don't think you will miss much as far as the trip itself goes. Disney and pandemics just don't play well together, IMHO

Plus, you're going to have lots of other opportunities (or at least your DD will!). Apparently UCF students get some major discounts on WDW tickets and can buy up to 5 at a time. Not sure what their definition of "major" is, but we'll find out in August.

Reactions: rlk

It'll be fine. In a way, it's a good thing to have that kind of flakiness now, rather than later. She has the option of doing the roommate search on the portal, or just letting UCF assign her roommates. Either one will be fine.
I'm sure it will be fine. I've seen some stories of flaky rude roommates. But our 2 that went away to school just took roommate lotto and both were fine with who they got. Sure it's better to know the person. But lots of great kids out there. And it was a great way to meet some new people.

Sorry about the trip and lose of money, but I agree, too much uncertainty. We canceled our son's international graduation trip and are looking forward to planning it for Summer 202. My husband and I still have a late August/ early September Disney World trip on the books. We have DVC points that expire n Feb. 2021. I have a backup trip for late January. We may wind up losing the money anyway, but we are thankful we still are gainfully (my husband)employed.

I truly hope your son can play football during his senior year. Of all the things my son missed out on during this senior year, not being able to play as starting catcher on his HS baseball team hurts the most.

Sorry for the mixed up quoting,

Did any of you watch the “Graduating Together” ceremony? My son left the room after five minutes, but I sat and watched(and cried)

Yes! Dd watched parts but was mostly uninterested. I cried over and over. I just couldn’t stop!

Mine wasn’t interested in watching it at all so we didn’t. She still has six weeks of school left so her OWN graduation would still be a ways off if it were held on the original date.

Watching dates pop up in my reminders...senior awards, band banquet. Yesterday would have been prom and the weather was just perfect.
Yeah, our "prom" was supposed to be last night as well.

One of our neighbors had a prom party last night. They're right behind us and the party was on their pool deck. The noise was not horrific, but it was loud enough to keep us awake.

I thought about calling the police, but the kids have been through enough without me being a jerk. Promptly at 1:30, they turned everything off and the party was completely over. No harm, no foul.

Our school board put together a celebration video with lots of celebrities congratulating the Class of 2020. Not sure how they didn't get Drake and Pitbull in, because those two are everywhere supporting the kids and the community.

But the video was pretty good anyway -- Will Smith, D Wade, Zo, Sheryl Sandberg from Facebook, Gloria Estefan (of course) and others.

https://dadeschools.eduvision.tv/di...1lXfJBhsJkHGrh7orwU%2f0YSf3WOC50cfs%2fA%3d%3d

Did any of you watch the “Graduating Together” ceremony? My son left the room after five minutes, but I sat and watched(and cried)

Though my son is class of 2021, we randomly watched the broadcast just to see what it was all about. The opening videos featured multiple shots from his school that a senior put together and released about a month ago as a senior video. We all just started screaming because we recognized it right away! My son is graduating early, this December, so he won't be part of a graduation ceremony, but that is entirely by his choice. I can't imagine having everything taken away like 2020 is experiencing. My heart really goes out to you guys and your seniors! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter