Parents of HS class of 2020

My DD is moving in August 25th. Her school is doing a staggered move in schedule with only freshman on campus for the first month, then sophomores, and finally juniors and seniors. Dining will only be outside and most classes will be held outside as well. They already switched to a block schedule for this fall, so that will align with the move in timing. All of her friends are moving into their dorms as well. Of course, my high schooler will be fully remote learning. I hope it works out for all the students and they can safely remain on campus.

My DD is moving in on August 21st. Her college is also doing a staggered move-in schedule, but by dorm. For her dorm, she had a choice of 3 dates and she is only allowed 2 hours to move in. No more than 10 students per 2 hour time slot per dorm. No more than 2 immediate family members with her to move in and we must leave her dorm after 2 hours.

Her college is doing mostly virtual orientation activities this week and next, with some outdoor activities planned next week where they can be distanced. All students have to wear masks at all times, except for in their own bedroom and when eating in the dining halls. Dining halls will have reduced capacity and will offer many to-go meals instead.

Many students have all online classes and some opted to stay home. Some have hybrid with part online, part in-person. My daughter has both on her schedule.

From a UCF parent report on another forum, UCF apparently reported their first round of covid testing from dorm move-ins. As part of the check-in procedure, each dorm resident is being covid-tested. Move in started August 8, and the first set of results were sent to students yesterday apparently.

837 students were tested; 11 tested positive. That is 1.3% positive, which is an astonishingly low number.

Last edited:
My daughter will be a freshman at DePaul University. They closed down dorms and moved to online with very few exceptions (lab courses that cannot be taught online, international students who need housing, and people who have extenuating circumstances such as homelessness or unsafe living situations outside of dorms) She was crushed Wednesday when they made the announcement. But yesterday we signed a lease on a room in a 4 bedroom off campus apartment building that specializes in student housing. Her classes may be online, but at least she will have 3 roommates to live with and have some independence while doing her online classes. And get to find her way around a new city.

It will be different from what she expected, but at least she will have a little bit of the independence she has been craving.

From a UCF parent report on another forum, UCF apparently reported their first round of covid testing from dorm move-ins. As part of the check-in procedure, each dorm resident is being covid-tested. Move in started August 8, and the first set of results were sent to students yesterday apparently.

837 students were tested; 11 tested positive. That is 1.3% positive, which is an astonishingly low number.
Mine got her negative results same day she tested. Quick turnaround

How's college going for your kids? My dd deferred the first semester, but she went this semester and the academic side hasn't gone well. She has 3 in person classes, but her online stats class was very difficult with an absent professor who just assigned work but did not teach. It seems like some of the professors are phoning it in this year and taking advantage of the online option to teach.

How's college going for your kids? My dd deferred the first semester, but she went this semester and the academic side hasn't gone well. She has 3 in person classes, but her online stats class was very difficult with an absent professor who just assigned work but did not teach. It seems like some of the professors are phoning it in this year and taking advantage of the online option to teach.
Good to revisit this thread. I'm sure the experiences are going to vary wildly from school to school and from student to student.

Our DD now has one year under her belt, and a 3.6 GPA. And zero in-person classes. Two online classes this summer (both only taught online).

Fall 2021 and Spring 2022, only one class each term is online, and those classes are only taught online anyway. That's as it stands today. We shall see, and we have reason to be skeptical.

DD lived on campus and bonded beautifully with her roommates. In the Fall, they are moving to an off-campus apartment and continuing to develop as BFF's. So that part of the year has been very good.

A friend at the same school had several in-person classes, but no roommates at all -- which was tough. She's a great student (and great kid), so she persevered and did very well. This term she had roommates, bonded well, and had more of a normal college experience.

Another friend went to the same school with his BFF. He and the BFF worked together to stay on top of things and maximize their full "college experience." They went to football games, participated in "Spirit Splash," "Universal Knights," and other campus activities, and generally had big fun. They're both great students; I don't have any info on their grades, but I'm sure they kicked butt.

My DD school went all remote early in the fall and moved 90% of the students home. My daughter as part of the honors college was allowed to stay. The school swapped students to singles only but the roommate my daughter was supposed to have bailed the week before school started so she just kept her room to herself all year. Even with that she made friends, had fun (maybe too much :rolleyes1), did a bit of volunteer work, took classes fully remote and ended up with a 4.0 each semester (15 credit hours fall & 18 credit hours spring). Most of her classes were basically teach yourself (very little "live" zoom classes) but she still did well and took the time call professors during office hours, find study groups, etc. She feels like she has learned a lot but not as much as she would have if she had live in person classes.

She is home this summer and wants a complete school break (normally she likes classes during the summer). Instead she has two jobs and is hitting the gym a lot. She has an apartment signed for the fall with friends and really is hoping classes stay in person.

My dd has all of her classes in person, but she is at a small liberal arts college in Florida. They set up over 50 outdoor classrooms to facilitate Covid safe in person learning. Her original roommates did not end up attending, but she found a roommate who wanted to switch rooms about a month in. Overall, it’s been a pretty good experience. She did have to go into quarantine once because of a close contact testing positive.

School was great for mine-like JimMIA my DD was at UCF. She did have more in person classes with labs alternating weeks being inperson/virtual. Home for summer and got a job already. She is planning on off campus apartment this fall with a couple of her suitemates.
She was invited to join Honor society and an Engineering leadership student committee - this last I haven't heard of but I guess it's invite only. Anyway she's pretty excited, and seems to have settled in pretty well. She started going to weekly trivia nights and found a great group of friends to hang out with.
She also submitted her application for HHN this fall for scareactor!

She will also get her second covid vax in couple weeks (Pfizer) so will be fully vaxxed come fall. NO side effects with first shot.

Dd made the best of this awkward 1st year. And had a good year. Her motto about all things this year has been 'It is what it is' and just rolled with it.

Fabulous grades, some online classes, some in person. Did not know her roommate from another state, but they've become friends and will room with another new friend in an off campus apartment in the fall.

She's waiting to hear if she's getting a local summer internship in her field that she applied for. Has signed up for and is excited about a 2 week class in Arizona with a professor from her college the 1st 2 weeks of August.

If she doesn't get the internship will likely help with soccer summer camps/training as a part time job.

Moves in to her apartment shortly after the class.

The summer is going to fly by. Glad to have her home for a little while.

Fall semester check in-DD all moved into her apartment, been a long weekend with local stores rather crazy. But apartment is nice, in good area. She is looking forward to the semester. Worked all summer to have a nice cushion while she applies to jobs around UCF area. Universal called a couple weeks ago to confirm her eligibility for scareactor for HHN, but hasn't heard anything since. Oh well-if she gets a job near the apartment complex, they get $50 a month off rent. Guess it is an incentive to have worker close as so many are so severely short staffed! She is fully vaccinated, and thank goodness for that with how Florida is currently.
Planning to enjoy Universal a bit more today before I have to leave tomorrow.

Summer did seem t fly by!! How is everyone else doing?

Fall semester check in-DD all moved into her apartment, been a long weekend with local stores rather crazy. But apartment is nice, in good area. She is looking forward to the semester. Worked all summer to have a nice cushion while she applies to jobs around UCF area. Universal called a couple weeks ago to confirm her eligibility for scareactor for HHN, but hasn't heard anything since. Oh well-if she gets a job near the apartment complex, they get $50 a month off rent. Guess it is an incentive to have worker close as so many are so severely short staffed! She is fully vaccinated, and thank goodness for that with how Florida is currently.

We move my daughter to her new apartment in Chicago on Saturday. Her school doesn't start until after Labor Day, but she will be in person for the first time then! They had all classes online last year. She has not set foot in a classroom since March of 2020. She is nervous and excited, and I am too! She also made the Cheer team for the college, so she will have practices and basketball games to cheer at this year!! She has an on campus job and is applying to help coach youth cheer/pom a couple of days of week in the local Chicago area through a group that teaches them at the parks department. Her school requires full vaccination and mask wearing indoors. She lived in Chicago last year while attending classes virtually and managed to avoid getting Covid, I'm fairly confident with her vaccine and the protocols she has put in place in her own life she will be able to avoid it again. Looking forward to her having a more active year this year and growing even more!

We're good and returning to UCF on Friday. Hotels for move-in weekend are nuts. We couldn't get one for Saturday, so we're finishing her shopping on Saturday and then driving down to Melbourne/Viera for an overnight before heading home on Sunday.

We actually moved her out of her dorm and into her apartment (Knights Circle) Aug 6-9. She didn't work last year, and has no plans right now, although a prof in one of her summer classes asked if she was interested in a TA job. If that actually happens, we'll see how that potentially affects her class schedule. She's got a heavy load for Fall.

She's also somewhat interested in physicians assistant, and for that she will need 2,000-3,000 clinical hours. So if she's going to work or volunteer, clinical hours would take precedent.

ALL of her classes are in-person (for now). Her first year, she had zero in-person classes -- so she's going to have a big adjustment to make, finding classes, getting from one class to another, etc. She has no idea how much walking/long boarding she's going to be doing with in-person!

UCF will be a very different place this fall if current plans hold up. Full Bounce House (football stadium) with the first game Sept 2, full Parents Weekend, all campus facilities like Lake Claire and the RWC's fully open, full Late Knights programing, full Pegasus Palooza the first week, full Homecoming week, hopefully the full Light Up UCF festival in December. It's gonna be a jumping place!

Wondering how everyone's kiddo's are doing? Mine is loving being back, in person. Got a job at Publix by her apartment.
She also applied for and got some kind of pandemic relief grant for school! Nice bonus to help with cost.
if she was interested in a TA job. If that actually happens, we'll see how that potentially affects her class schedule. She's got a heavy load for Fall.
That would be neat-but yeah if she is thinking PA then go for a hospital job-lab or tech or something. Definitely helps. Mine is finding that in person is much much better!
What is the UCF Light up Festival? that sounds neat!

Our daughter had a busy summer as we expected. She got the internship she wanted, realized she wouldn't want to do what she did on the internship forever. Did go to AZ for her class. Fully enjoyed the experience. Never had time for summer cooking lessons with me.

But, easily settled into her 1st apartment with 2 roommates.

Ironically, her apartment is 3rd floor and immediately below is a family friend (who lives with 2 of their guy friends) that he and dd have hit every major milestone together since they were born. His mom and I are friends and we have pictures of all those milestones!

Classes seem to be going well. She went to her first real college full experience football game yesterday with legendary tailgating and all the football day festivities with friends.

She had a great time, but was uncomfortable by the crowds. After 2 years of social distancing, I bet it was a little awkward. She's fully vaccinated and it was all outside, so hopefully it all works !

Mine is loving the in-person as well. ALL of her classes are in-person! She hasn't been in a classroom for about a year and half, so this is quite a change.

One thing I tried to prepare her for was the problem of getting to campus (she's in an off-campus apartment, but the complex has buses to the student union), and then getting from class to class in the allotted time. However, as it turned out, we made an enrollment mistake and had to drop/add. The new schedule eliminated a couple of 15-minutes from class to class problems. She seems to have mastered all of that now, and the way the campus is laid out really helps a lot.

Last night, DD went to her first-EVER football game. Her high school didn't play football, and there were very few fans allowed last year -- so she's never seen a football game before. She went with one of her roommates (the other two are in the color guard, so they go to all games). They really enjoyed the game, but it was a blowout win and both had a lot of studying to do so they left early. She had a good time and will go again.

@Monykalyn, "Light Up UCF" is an annual festival that runs from late November into January at the Addition Financial Arena. The whole area is lit up by thousands of flashing lights, they install an actual ice skating rink and some carnival rides, and there is a market with vendors as well. It was canceled in 2020 obviously. I haven't heard anything about this year, but I'm hoping they have it. It's a big deal, and 2019 was their 12th annual festival.

Here's a link with the 2019 info: https://www.ucf.edu/news/light-up-ucf-to-return-for-12th-season-of-holiday-festivities/

My dd went to her first ever football game last week as well. She really enjoyed it and is starting to relax. She was worried about Covid the first few weeks of school. It's difficult to get those worries out of your head, even when you're vaccinated. We've talked to her more in the last few weeks than we did all summer.

Here's a link with the 2019 info
Thank you that sounds really neat!
My kiddo has been to college games as her sister was a Razorback-we went for a game or two each year. Plus we would occasionally go to our local college games-we really need to go more now as they are finally getting good with Coach Petrino.
Anyone's kiddo's have issues with the vax? Mine didn't have any issues at all! I was not feeling well within 6 hours of first shot (but gone by next day) and spent the day after 2nd shot in bed. No one else in my family had any issues though. Think we have to trust to power of vaccine and young immune systems-I want as "normal" experience for them as possible, but may take a bit to really feel comfortable about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter