Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Happy Holidays to all! I still check into this thread periodically. Our daughter had a really nice semester, in spite of having to have some minor surgery around midterms. She had her first semester ever of all A's (one was an A-) and held down two jobs. She also was elected publicity chair of her local (not nationally affiliated) sorority. We've had a wonderful three weeks with her including 10 days in central Florida. We had a good time at WDW as always and then finished up with a couple days at Busch. She moves back into the dorms Sunday and has work on Monday before classes start on Tuesday and I'll be sad to see her go but happy to see her get back into the swing of things. Glad to hear everyone else is doing well.

I'm just catching up on this thread. It looks like everyone's kids are doing well. I can't believe they are almost finished with their sophomore year. Where the heck did the time go? Wow.

My son loves his school. This will be his last year with the Corps of Cadets. He's had some good times, but would like to be involved with other things the next two years and could use the extra time. He created a group that is now recognized by the school and has really done well with it. He's contacted many different agencies to get them involved too. It's been very exciting for him. His grades this semester are better than they've ever been.

He will be moving out of the dorms and into an apartment in the fall. He is thrilled about that and found an incredible place near the school. He and his girlfriend have had a long distance relationship for a year now, but are still going strong. I felt so bad for him his first semester of his freshman year. All he did in his spare time was fill out applications to other schools. He decided not to do Army ROTC last fall and now has decided to get out of the Corps. He is ready to move on to other interests and is really thriving. He will be home all summer long! Yay. This will probably be the last summer because he's applying for an internship next summer, but will also have an apartment near his school in another state.

How is everyone else doing? What are their summer plans?

I'm just catching up on this thread. It looks like everyone's kids are doing well. I can't believe they are almost finished with their sophomore year. Where the heck did the time go? Wow.

My son loves his school. This will be his last year with the Corps of Cadets. He's had some good times, but would like to be involved with other things the next two years and could use the extra time. He created a group that is now recognized by the school and has really done well with it. He's contacted many different agencies to get them involved too. It's been very exciting for him. His grades this semester are better than they've ever been.

He will be moving out of the dorms and into an apartment in the fall. He is thrilled about that and found an incredible place near the school. He and his girlfriend have had a long distance relationship for a year now, but are still going strong. I felt so bad for him his first semester of his freshman year. All he did in his spare time was fill out applications to other schools. He decided not to do Army ROTC last fall and now has decided to get out of the Corps. He is ready to move on to other interests and is really thriving. He will be home all summer long! Yay. This will probably be the last summer because he's applying for an internship next summer, but will also have an apartment near his school in another state.

I'm glad to hear that your DS is doing well. I recall that he is at TAMU, right? That's where DD's boyfriend is and, if they had DD's major, she would be there as well. She loves the atmosphere there. I'm a Texan so I actually know several kids there. My niece started her PhD work there this past fall.

I'm glad to hear that your DS is doing well. I recall that he is at TAMU, right? That's where DD's boyfriend is and, if they had DD's major, she would be there as well. She loves the atmosphere there. I'm a Texan so I actually know several kids there. My niece started her PhD work there this past fall.

Yes, he is at TAMU and absolutely loves it there. The atmosphere is wonderful. They have a very strong school spirit. It's a perfect fit for him. His girlfriend wishes she could have attended school there. She loves visiting him and going to the football games.

I'm glad to hear that your DS is doing so well! I remember your posts from last year where he was pretty miserable with the Corps. Kudos to him for sticking it out for another year. Now that he's ready to move on to other things he knows he gave the Corps a fair shot.

DD didn't get accepted to any of the summer research programs she applied to, so she will most likely be working at the summer parks and rec community center again this year and continue with volunteering at the hospital. She switched back to the hospital after being at the smaller health clinic last semester. She's volunteering in the Child Life program now and is enjoying it because she gets more patient contact by hanging out with the kids and holding babies in the NICU. She still wants to get into a research position (probably volunteer), but that won't happen now until sometime next year.

Seems like lots of people have dropped off from this thread, or life has just gotten busy. I hope everyone else is is doing well! 6 more weeks and we'll have rising juniors!

My rising junior has a new major Communications and minor Poli Sci. He is hoping to get a great internship this summer. He got a job in the college library this semester and loves it. He works 17 hours a week so he is making quite a bit of $$ and he gets all his homework and studying at work. Perk of the job.

My rising junior has a new major Communications and minor Poli Sci. He is hoping to get a great internship this summer. He got a job in the college library this semester and loves it. He works 17 hours a week so he is making quite a bit of $$ and he gets all his homework and studying at work. Perk of the job.

My undergrad degree was in Communications. I loved all of the classes!! Sounds like he's finding his way! That's great that he gets to kill 2 birds with one stone with the job and studying, too! DD has so much studying and has 3 science lab classes this semester which sucks up all of her time.

Hello everyone! I haven't left :-). DD is finishing up sophomore year next month. She has applied to study her spring junior semester in England, so we are waiting on that. As a crazy planner, not having plans in concrete makes me insane! She is also moving off campus next year, into an apartment across the street from the dorms. Move out this year, is going to be a bit nutty, and will result in several trips up there, to get a storage unit, move stuff gradually from the dorm, then let it sit till June LOL.
She is also doing an internship this summer, with someone in the screenplay business up near school, so she may be in that apartment a lot of the summer. That of course is killing me. I told her I will be sleeping on her floor :-). Several logistical issues coming up regarding these items but I won't bore you with them.
She has not changed her major, still in film, but is thinking of changing her english minor, back to an english major. We shall see. She also considered a theater minor, but I'm not sure anything came of that idea.

I'm glad to hear that your DS is doing so well! I remember your posts from last year where he was pretty miserable with the Corps. Kudos to him for sticking it out for another year. Now that he's ready to move on to other things he knows he gave the Corps a fair shot.

DD didn't get accepted to any of the summer research programs she applied to, so she will most likely be working at the summer parks and rec community center again this year and continue with volunteering at the hospital. She switched back to the hospital after being at the smaller health clinic last semester. She's volunteering in the Child Life program now and is enjoying it because she gets more patient contact by hanging out with the kids and holding babies in the NICU. She still wants to get into a research position (probably volunteer), but that won't happen now until sometime next year.

Seems like lots of people have dropped off from this thread, or life has just gotten busy. I hope everyone else is is doing well! 6 more weeks and we'll have rising juniors!

It sounds like she is getting very good experience with her volunteer work. That's great. I am sorry to hear that she didn't get accepted into any of the summer research programs, but her backup plans sound good.

I still can't believe the kids will be rising juniors soon.

It seems like a lot of the kids change their major. My son did too. I wish him luck on getting an internship this summer. He sure is working a lot of hours every week. It sounds like he is keeping busy. I used to work at the library when I was in college and I thought it was great.

Hello everyone! I haven't left :-). DD is finishing up sophomore year next month. She has applied to study her spring junior semester in England, so we are waiting on that. As a crazy planner, not having plans in concrete makes me insane! She is also moving off campus next year, into an apartment across the street from the dorms. Move out this year, is going to be a bit nutty, and will result in several trips up there, to get a storage unit, move stuff gradually from the dorm, then let it sit till June LOL.
She is also doing an internship this summer, with someone in the screenplay business up near school, so she may be in that apartment a lot of the summer. That of course is killing me. I told her I will be sleeping on her floor :-). Several logistical issues coming up regarding these items but I won't bore you with them.
She has not changed her major, still in film, but is thinking of changing her english minor, back to an english major. We shall see. She also considered a theater minor, but I'm not sure anything came of that idea.

I know how it goes with waiting to hear. When my son applied for a program last summer to study in Africa, it was hard for him to wait for an answer. I hope your daughter gets accepted. What a wonderful opportunity to get to study in England!! She must be very excited about getting an internship with someone in the screenplay business.

Checking in! DS in still majoring in chemical and biomolecular engineering. He tutors at the writing center and is in a fraternity as well as a musical comedy sketch group at school (He plays the bari sax). As for summer plans, he doesn't know yet. He is still waiting to hear about his applications.......Hope all is well with all of your kids!

Checking in! DS in still majoring in chemical and biomolecular engineering. He tutors at the writing center and is in a fraternity as well as a musical comedy sketch group at school (He plays the bari sax). As for summer plans, he doesn't know yet. He is still waiting to hear about his applications.......Hope all is well with all of your kids!

That's an impressive major! The musical comedy sketch group sounds like a lot of fun and must be a good way for him to relax.

I'm still here too! My daughter joined the "change your major" club at the end of last year and is now studying accounting and business administration. I can't believe she is already half way done with college.

The most exciting news for her though is that she will be spending the fall semester in the Disney College program! She moves to Orlando in August and of course I have to fulfill my parental obligations by going to visit often! :earsboy:

I know how it goes with waiting to hear. When my son applied for a program last summer to study in Africa, it was hard for him to wait for an answer. I hope your daughter gets accepted. What a wonderful opportunity to get to study in England!! She must be very excited about getting an internship with someone in the screenplay business.

She was accepted and applied for her passport already. She has to turn in a bunch of paperwork by the end of the month. So Spring semester next year, she will be living in Lincoln England. So, guess where my big vacation will be next year?

That is an amazing sounding major, holy cow!! My dd joined an acapella group in January, they are a brand new group, she is pretty excited about that.

I'm still here too! My daughter joined the "change your major" club at the end of last year and is now studying accounting and business administration. I can't believe she is already half way done with college.

The most exciting news for her though is that she will be spending the fall semester in the Disney College program! She moves to Orlando in August and of course I have to fulfill my parental obligations by going to visit often! :earsboy:

That is awesome, and yes darnit, it is your job to visit Orlando often!!

Wow! How AWESOME!!! For BOTH of you!

Another major change here. Ours has decided he wants to go to law school so he tweaked his business admin to HR. We are lucky that he goes to school Downtown so we see him occasionally but is sharing a dorm apt with 3 others so he's really never here. He works at a restaurant right around the corner from us but is usually to busy to stop by before work.

She was accepted and applied for her passport already. She has to turn in a bunch of paperwork by the end of the month. So Spring semester next year, she will be living in Lincoln England. So, guess where my big vacation will be next year?
Congratulations to your daughter!!

Another major change here. Ours has decided he wants to go to law school so he tweaked his business admin to HR. We are lucky that he goes to school Downtown so we see him occasionally but is sharing a dorm apt with 3 others so he's really never here. He works at a restaurant right around the corner from us but is usually to busy to stop by before work.

i am sure you are thrilled that he has decided to go to law school. It's great that he is close enough that you can see him often.

Hello everyone! I just saw our thread here, on the bottom of the page, where all the weird old threads are.
How is everyone doing, wrapping it up for this year?
We moved some of dd's bigger items into a storage unit a couple of weeks ago, because we had to take her loft down, and that was the only way we could do it. I am going up tomorrow to help her pack up pretty much everything else. She is done, but has to pick up her screenplay on Monday. I think she will head home Monday afternoon.
She will however, only be home until the beginning of June when she moves into her apartment. She will be doing some interning, and needs to get a job as well. I am trying not to totally freak out that she won't be home all summer. We will see how well I succeed at that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter