• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Hi everyone! I hope things are going well for all of the kids this summer. My son gets home from Morocco TODAY!!!! His flight landed in the US and he will board his connecting flight home soon. :yay::dogdance: It was so difficult to go ten weeks without worrying too much. I'm a worrier anyway, but my kid was in Africa for 10 weeks, so that was 1000X worse. He's back. I can't believe that I used to worry about silly things like him driving long distances here. It really puts things in perspective. Anyway, this is a great day. I leave to pick him up at the airport in a few hours. Then he gets to stay home for three weeks before going back to school. This will be the best three weeks of the year!

Hi everyone! I hope things are going well for all of the kids this summer. My son gets home from Morocco TODAY!!!! His flight landed in the US and he will board his connecting flight home soon. :yay::dogdance: It was so difficult to go ten weeks without worrying too much. I'm a worrier anyway, but my kid was in Africa for 10 weeks, so that was 1000X worse. He's back. I can't believe that I used to worry about silly things like him driving long distances here. It really puts things in perspective. Anyway, this is a great day. I leave to pick him up at the airport in a few hours. Then he gets to stay home for three weeks before going back to school. This will be the best three weeks of the year!

Welcome Home Bluestars ds! Enjoy the time you have!

My son went back to college on Friday. He is currently in a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom with a kitchen and small living room dorm on campus. It's one person per room so he won't be sharing a room or bathroom this year.
We've been texting and he got moved in fine.

Unfortunately it's the farthest area from campus and the cafeterias so he'll have to take the bus there when school starts on Monday since driving on campus isn't allowed between 9am and 5pm.
The bus isn't running yet so he has been able to drive there to eat since he says he's not going to be using the kitchen in the room at all. (He doesn't want to have to cook or cleanup.)

He didn't want to end up at that dorm but he wasn't able to get into another one. He doesn't know who the other roommates will be and he texted me a little bit ago that they haven't shown up yet to move in.

Oh well - they have all day today to show up and move in so maybe they will show up soon. Hopefully he'll have some company and won't be in that place all alone this semester!

We will head up with DD ths coming Friday to help her move into her apartment. She's going into a 4 bedroom/4bath/with shared living room and kitchen. Washer and dryer in the kitchen. It's just across the street so pretty much on campus.

After a year in the dorm, she's very excited. She'll be going back to the job she had last year. She's sick this weekend so I'm glad she's been here for me to baby her a bit.

Glad everyone is doing well!

We moved our daughter back in a couple of days ago. She had to be there a week early because she's a student desk assistant. She moved back into the exact same room but it's all hers now - no roommate this year. Much to her surprise, they moved out the second bed/dresser/desk prior to her arrival (perhaps they needed the furniture somewhere else). We had no idea they were doing that but it makes the room feel a lot bigger. We bought her a nice chair and lamp (and are bringing up an end table) for one corner. It gives her kind of a study nook. She's enjoying the week on campus without the pressures of classes but we are missing her like crazy. She came home a different kid after a year at college and we really, really enjoyed having her home. She just was incredibly sweet with us and so helpful - especially after my husband was involved in a horrible car accident the weekend of July 4. A young driver (probably both speeding and distracted) ran a red light and t - boned him. The SUV flipped twice and was totaled. He had to be extricated from the SUV but the side airbags did their job. He was uninjured (thankfully). It was extremely traumatic for him and for all of us. We spent the next month dealing with the other driver's insurance company and then finding a new vehicle and she really was incredibly supportive throughout the whole thing.

So we're missing her a lot but know she's where she needs to be. This year will bring a lot of new challenges as she heads into her major classes (gen ed is done except for one last science) and she has a couple of on campus jobs. But we are hopeful for good things. Hope everyone has a great fall semester!

Last edited:
She just was incredibly sweet with us and so helpful - especially after my husband was involved in a horrible car accident the weekend of July 4. A young driver (probably both speeding and distracted) ran a red light and t - boned him. The SUV flipped twice and was totaled. He had to be extricated from the SUV but the side airbags did their job and he was uninjured but it was extremely traumatic for him and for all of us.

Holy smokes, how scary!!! SO glad your husband was okay.. wow.

I can't believe our kids are already moving back in for their second year of college... time FLIES. Mine has spent the past couple of weeks touring the country sitting behind my way-less-than-reliable ex on the back of a motorcycle. Yeah, I have chewed all my fingernails off. But he had fun, and saw parts of the country he hadn't seen yet, and he made it back in one piece. He's going camping with his girlfriend tomorrow, then I finally get him for a few days starting Thursday. I help him move back into the dorm on Monday. He's very much looking forward to being back at school. He said he's most looking forward to the classes he'll have this semester! I suspect an alien takeover of my child -- it's the only logical explanation. :P

Here's to a great semester for all our kids!!

Move in day is tomorrow for ds. He is going back a few days early to help with freshman move-in day. He is more than ready, I'm in denial that he is going back, my other two are starting school, summer is ending...etc. ;)

We got home last night from WDW. I had the hardest time ever leaving there. It was just me and DD for the whole trip, and then Friday we drive up to move her back to school. I can't think about it right now, because it makes me so sad. We sure had an amazing trip though!!!!

DD moved in to her new "off campus" (actually across the street from the practice football field...) apartment Saturday. I feel bad, because our car only had room for two people with all her stuff, so I ended up staying home to watch the dog while my wife moved our daughter in. Band camp started Monday. She seems much happier this year compared to last year. I think she needed time to acclimate to the new people, urban area, etc. Having her own room probably helps.

Took ours back last week and classes started on Monday. Living on campus in a full one bedroom apartment with the best friend. Lots of room and really nice.

And I have my car back to myself!

Moved DS in today. As of now, he doesn't have a roommate. He had one until last week when that kid said he got an email that he had been moved. DS called housing and they said he was rooming with the person he requested back in the winter. TJ msgd him (a frat brother) and that kid thought he was commuting. So as of now, he is alone, which would be ideal! He moved in early and it was great. The campus was fairly quiet and move in was easy. We got his room set up, made a Walmart run, and then said goodbye. That didn't get any easier....and next year I'll have two going to college. :( Can't even think about it.
Good luck to all our kids this year!!!!

We got home last night from WDW. I had the hardest time ever leaving there. It was just me and DD for the whole trip, and then Friday we drive up to move her back to school. I can't think about it right now, because it makes me so sad. We sure had an amazing trip though!!!!

I'm so jealous! That's what we did last year- Disney trip then only a couple of days turn around before that first college drop off. This year we've stayed close to home. We've declared a year or two of no expensive vacations to hopefully get her through school debt free. I missed having a vacation to look forward to but if she can keep refusing loans, it will be worth it.

We're leaving Friday also to move her into her first apartment. I thought this year would be easier but I have been really sad today. She's become a really cool adult and I've loved having her back in the house this summer.

We moved DD in 10 days ago and her classes started 3 days ago. She loves her Scottish roommate and having her boyfriend one floor below her. On Sunday, the day before classes started she went hiking with a group of friends and had a slip/fall incident. She got scraped up pretty bad on one leg and on her hands. She said her leg looks like roadkill that came back to life! She started hiking a lot last spring on some pretty high and rocky trails. I warned her about the dangers of hiking in Nike running shoes and shorts, but she didn't want to spend money on some good hiking shoes. Live and learn! If she hasn't bought herself any hiking shoes/boots by Thanksgiving, I will get her some for Christmas. She said it was too painful and too hot (temps hovering slightly below and above 100 degrees) to wear jeans, so she's been going to classes in shorts with the road rash leg causing quite a bit of stares.

A follow-up on my textbook rant from last month... The expensive book that I tried to buy used on Amazon never shipped. When I checked my Amazon order after not getting a shipping notice a few days later, it showed that I ordered two books, but one of the books was canceled. I called Amazon and the rep said I canceled the order which I had not done. He researched it a bit more and found out the vendor canceled probably because they didn't have the book, but I never received an email about it. So the rep told me to order a new copy with prime shipping and then he went in and adjusted the price to what I had paid for the used book order and changed the two-day shipping to one- day shipping. So DD ended up with a new book at a used price and she will be using the book for both semesters. That was a nice bonus after being raped on the prices by some of the other textbook companies!

I'm enjoying reading the back to school posts. Year #2, here they come!!! :yay:

- especially after my husband was involved in a horrible car accident the weekend of July 4. A young driver (probably both speeding and distracted) ran a red light and t - boned him. The SUV flipped twice and was totaled. He had to be extricated from the SUV but the side airbags did their job and he was uninjured but it was extremely traumatic for him and for all of us. We spent the next month dealing with the other driver's insurance company and then finding a new vehicle and she really was incredibly supportive throughout the whole thing.

So we're missing her a lot but know she's where she needs to be. This year will bring a lot of new challenges as she heads into her major classes (gen ed is done except for one last science) and she has a couple of on campus jobs. But we are hopeful for good things. Hope everyone has a great fall semester!

Oh my gosh! I'm glad your DH is okay! How scary!!! It sounds like your DD has made great strides and doing quite well with her independence. That is wonderful for her and you!

I finally heard from my son today. He isn't a fan of having to take the bus to the main campus this semester but he loves the dorm apartment he is in and likes his room mates.

The 4 of them have been doing things together nearly every weekend. He texted me to ask me to send him his blue jeans since he left them at home thinking he wouldn't need them until after Thanksgiving break. That backfired on him - temps have dropped and he needed them. He said he'll listen to me next year when I suggest he bring a few pair to get him by if he didn't want to bring them all. Luckily he brought his jacket.

He didn't talk at all about his grades. I asked but he changed the subject so I told him he needed to be sure to pass all of his classes this semester so don't goof off all the time. He just said he won't.

My husband and I are talking about going to see him on the weekend of his birthday if my husband can get some time off.

My daughter is loving being in an apartment, as well. She is just across the street from campus so no parking issues or bus. She walks. The only issue is one of her roommates has moved her boyfriend in and they party a lot. DD and her other roommate rented together and are friends and they are trying to handle it themselves. The two of them are already looking for someone they know well to take this girl's place next year.

She's loving her classes and her job. We're heading up for Parent's weekend tomorrow.

Hi everyone! Just checking in for updates to see how sophomore year is going. DD has been finished with school for almost 2 weeks after another successful semester. She has managed to maintain straight A's every semester taking 16 and 17 credits with a challenging course load. We are very proud of her! She is now beginning the process of applying for summer research internships across the country. She's narrowed the list to 10 places, but don't know if she will be accepted to any them because she doesn't have any prior research experience. It's much like applying for college with essay questions, personal statements, letters of recommendation, etc. Very time consuming... Most of the places have 7-20 spots to fill (average of 10), but have hundreds of highly qualified applicants. Does anyone here have experience with this process? If so, any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

This semester she has been volunteering weekly at a low-cost health clinic that services pregnant women with a history of substance abuse, and has had some opportunities to do some doctor shadowing there. She also continues her volunteer work at the Ronald McDonald house. Now she's broke though and wants to also fit in a part-time job next semester.

Things have been going well with her and her boyfriend who transferred here. I never gave that backstory, but they met online while in high school, spent hours on FaceTime each night, and took a few flights to each other's states to visit after high school. He is a wonderful boy and he loves it here, so thats all been working out. We've also met his parents in person and us moms communicate regularly.

We don't have any big plans for the holidays -- just staying home. DD has gotten into hiking and wants me to go on a mountain hike with her after Christmas. Her and some of her friends at school decided that they've had enough of the dining hall food and plan to cook their own food next semester. They plan to make dinners together. That should be interesting!!! She is on a healthy eating kick. She used to be a junk food junkie, but is now asking me to buy stuff so she can make spinach smoothies! :drinking1I never thought I'd see the day!! :faint: The grocery bill has increased significantly with her return!

So how are your kids doing? Well, I hope! I also hope you are able to spend some time together over this winter break.

Wishing everyone happy holidays!

DS is loving sophomore year too. He changed his major from music to communications and poli sci. He wants to do something for the world. :) His roommate this year was great. He lives 20 mins from campus and used the room as a storage locker. He very rarely was there and when he was, he was studying. He moved out at the end of the semester. I think DS is getting a new roomie for spring, a friend but I'm not sure.

He came home on the 11th and goes back the 10th. He is working and we are enjoying him being home.

Happy Holidays College Parents friends.

We are still waiting for grades, but my DD has been loving school and doing well. She's working in the theater as an employee, and she's on the board for the theater department group. She's working an actual job in her future field and gaining experience, so she's thrilled. She came last week and is here until the 18th of January, and she's working her summer job while she's here. We had such a bumpy ride getting to this point but everything has been working out very well for her at school.

I was just thinking about this group. DD had a great semester. Since she's in an apartment, she is only home for 3 weeks. She has a great job at school so she stayed an extra week and is going back a week early so that she can work. She only works 12 hours a week- a perfect amount and the pay is good.

She passed her review this last month and is now a fashion design major. It was a stressful semester with the review looming. She also has a paid internship with a swimwear company lined up for Summer. A great thing for her and her future but it means that she will not be coming home.

Her long distance relationship seems to be going well. She and her boyfriend travel to see each other often for the weekend. It was kind of cool for her this fall. She goes to a really artsy school that has sports teams but lacks the rah rah spirit. Her boyfriend is at an SEC school so she had the experience of going to huge football games several weekends. He has an internship in the same city as her this summer (what a coincidence ;-). His internship will continue through next fall so she's happy about that.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter