Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

My DD will not be home at all this summer- maybe father's day weekend. She has a great part time job in her college town and since she is in an apartment this year with a 12 month lease, it makes more sense to keep her school job than to come home and look for a 10-12 week job. I'm already missing her.

She's stressing and thinking of changing her major. It would be a small tweak but still a change. She has meetings scheduled this week to figure it out.

Happy summer!

DS is going to take a class this summer and tutor at the writing center on campus. Luckily, we have no moving to do as DS moved into a house in June with 7 other guys and he will be there until he graduates! The house is really cool - A 3 story Victorian. His room has hardwood floors, 10 foot ceilings, and a turret! Hope it is a good summer for all!

My DD will not be home at all this summer- maybe father's day weekend. She has a great part time job in her college town and since she is in an apartment this year with a 12 month lease, it makes more sense to keep her school job than to come home and look for a 10-12 week job. I'm already missing her.

She's stressing and thinking of changing her major. It would be a small tweak but still a change. She has meetings scheduled this week to figure it out.

Happy summer!

I'm sorry you will be missing her! The logic of staying does make sense. It's so hard to know how close they are to being moved out for good. What major is she thinking about? Is her current major Marine Biology?

DD is finished, but hasn't moved out yet. Her roommate switched rooms in March, so DD has been loving the double space and doesn't want to come back home yet! She is leaving for a short trip to Las Vegas for a concert on Wednesday. We'll move her out on Saturday, and then on Sunday she is road tripping for two weeks with friends to New Orleans and a few other places. She has her summer job secured and that doesn't start until early June.

This funny college dorm move-out story came across my Facebook feed today, so I have to share! I think you can all relate in some way! :rotfl2:

http://mashable.com/2016/05/09/mom-in-wrong-form-room-surprise/#eUcD6g1dp8qq

LOL, I read that story today and all I could think was "what kind of dorm can you just walk right into, and how do you just walk right into an empty room??". Heck my dd has to take her keys just to get a drink of water from the fountain her dorms are locked down so tight.

LOL, I read that story today and all I could think was "what kind of dorm can you just walk right into, and how do you just walk right into an empty room??". Heck my dd has to take her keys just to get a drink of water from the fountain her dorms are locked down so tight.

If it was move out day then maybe the outside doors weren't locked. When we moved DD out last year some of the doors were propped open. Also kids often leave their dorm rooms open to the hallway so that they can easily get visitors. I would have wondered about the sheets because I know what color sheets and bedding DD has. I'd have known right away that it wasn't her room -- at least I hope I would!

I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone is still around. I can't believe the kids will be starting their junior year! My son said that college is going by much faster than high school. He was in the Corps for two years at school, but has decided to opt out this year. He started a group that was recognized by the school and is devoting a lot of his time toward making it successful. He will move into an apartment next week. He couldn't even have a TV or microwave in his dorm room last year, so this will be a huge improvement in his quality of life. haha. He loves his school and has made a lot of friends.

It's crazy to think that I started posting on this thread before my son had even chosen his college.

How is everyone else doing? Any changes in majors or schools?

My son left today for his junior year. He needs to take 2 extra classes at some point over the next 2 years if he expects to graduate in 2018.

He spent the summer working what was supposed to be a part time job that turned into a full time one except he didn't get benefits. He worked nights so I only saw him in the mornings before he went to bed - that was Pokemon Go time. We'd head to a nearby park or two and walk and talk. Sometimes he went with friends instead. On the plus side, he actually got a summer job and learned what it's like to actually work, including 3 days when he got sick and had to get a doctors note to turn in so he wouldn't get fired.

He was looking forward to college this year - this first semester will pretty much finish off the required class plus he got in one class related to his major. He's still wanting a Software Engineering Major but is starting to think about changing his minor to IT instead of video game design.

He is in a school apartment with 2 other guys he met at school and they hung around all the time. I'm hoping it goes well. He moved in today so he got first choice of bedroom/bathroom since he was the first to arrive.
If the roomies don't show, the college could assign him 2 other roommates instead. He had good luck mostly last year - only one was a messy disaster and he left after the other 2 kept bugging him to clean up his stuff.

Thank goodness one kid is easy this year - my high school junior is giving me enough fits for 2 kids. All because I am having to get involved and argue with the High School to change an elective AP class. It's really starting to tick me off and we are running out time to get it done.

He was looking forward to college this year - this first semester will pretty much finish off the required class plus he got in one class related to his major. He's still wanting a Software Engineering Major but is starting to think about changing his minor to IT instead of video game design.

He is in a school apartment with 2 other guys he met at school and they hung around all the time. I'm hoping it goes well. He moved in today so he got first choice of bedroom/bathroom since he was the first to arrive.
If the roomies don't show, the college could assign him 2 other roommates instead. He had good luck mostly last year - only one was a messy disaster and he left after the other 2 kept bugging him to clean up his stuff.

Thank goodness one kid is easy this year - my high school junior is giving me enough fits for 2 kids. All because I am having to get involved and argue with the High School to change an elective AP class. It's really starting to tick me off and we are running out time to get it done.

He should have no problem finding a job when he graduates with an engineering major and an IT minor. Those are good choices. My son considered engineering, but he had the common sense to realize it would be a nightmare career choice since his weakest subject is math. That's good that he was the first one to show up at the apartment and got his choice of bedrooms. Good luck with your junior and your attempt to change the class. I hope it works out. Things like that can be very stressful. I enjoyed my son's high school years, but it is a refreshing break to not have to worry about his classes now that he is in college.

DS is heading to London to study abroad for the semester. Can't believe I won't see him until Christmas. Then only 3 more semesters til graduation. It is flying by!

Wow. That's very exciting! What a great opportunity. My son learned a lot when he studied abroad. I was a nervous wreck because it was in Africa and they had the students stay in a poor area so they could see what it's like for the people there, but he studied at a university near his host family's house. The husband and wife, along with my son and another student, all slept in one room on couches. He learned so much about the culture that summer and got 12 credits in Arabic. I hope your son enjoys his time in London and has the experience of a lifetime.

DD did change her major. She is now a Design Management major. It caused her to fall behind 9 hours so she took those three classes this summer. That got her back on track to graduate on time.

I ended up seeing her quite a bit. She did come home on Father's Day and stayed most of the next week. In July, she joined us on vacation for 7 of the 10 days. Then my dad passed away 3 weeks ago so she came home for a week and then I went back with her and stayed several days.

She was able to travel so much because the three classes she took were were online. She also picked up a paid internship with an Interior Designer in July. It was a great experience, She got to go to Market but a lot of it was online work- creating design boards and spreadsheets so she was free to travel and do the work wherever.

Her boyfriend (since senior year) has been in DFW doing an internship. They go to school 3 hours apart so having him close has made the summer nicer, as well.

She's looking into study abroad for next summer.

Happy Junior year everyone!

DD did change her major. She is now a Design Management major. It caused her to fall behind 9 hours so she took those three classes this summer. That got her back on track to graduate on time.

I ended up seeing her quite a bit. She did come home on Father's Day and stayed most of the next week. In July, she joined us on vacation for 7 of the 10 days. Then my dad passed away 3 weeks ago so she came home for a week and then I went back with her and stayed several days.

She was able to travel so much because the three classes she took were were online. She also picked up a paid internship with an Interior Designer in July. It was a great experience, She got to go to Market but a lot of it was online work- creating design boards and spreadsheets so she was free to travel and do the work wherever.

Her boyfriend (since senior year) has been in DFW doing an internship. They go to school 3 hours apart so having him close has made the summer nicer, as well.

She's looking into study abroad for next summer.

Happy Junior year everyone!

I am so sorry about the loss of your father. My father died several years ago and it was a very difficult loss. That's good that you were able to go back with your daughter and stay for several days.

That's great that she was able to join you on a vacation. It sounds like she's had a busy summer. It was smart of her to catch up on her classes with summer school. Online classes are very convenient. I'm sure she will be very excited if she gets to study abroad next summer.

I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone is still around. I can't believe the kids will be starting their junior year! My son said that college is going by much faster than high school. He was in the Corps for two years at school, but has decided to opt out this year. He started a group that was recognized by the school and is devoting a lot of his time toward making it successful. He will move into an apartment next week. He couldn't even have a TV or microwave in his dorm room last year, so this will be a huge improvement in his quality of life. haha. He loves his school and has made a lot of friends.

It's crazy to think that I started posting on this thread before my son had even chosen his college.

How is everyone else doing? Any changes in majors or schools?

Congratulations to your son on the group that he started!

After living in the Corps dorm, Even a student apartment will feel luxiourious. Although, most of them are compared to student apartments in the 80's.

I'm a Texan, and DD's BF is an Aggie so I'm very familiar with how much Aggies love their school!

DH and I will be going to the SOuthwest Classic next month. We went last year with DD's boyfriend's parents who have become friends and then my sis and BIL who live in Arkansas and are diehard Razorbacks. I'm looking forward to it.

DH and I are kind of stuck in the middle. Sitting in the Razorback section since my BIL has access to great seats through the alumni club but rooting on the inside for the Aggies like the good Texans we are.

Midnight Yell and the Aggie band are an experience, for sure.

Congratulations to your son on the group that he started!

After living in the Corps dorm, Even a student apartment will feel luxiourious. Although, most of them are compared to student apartments in the 80's.

I'm a Texan, and DD's BF is an Aggie so I'm very familiar with how much Aggies love their school!

DH and I will be going to the SOuthwest Classic next month. We went last year with DD's boyfriend's parents who have become friends and then my sis and BIL who live in Arkansas and are diehard Razorbacks. I'm looking forward to it.

DH and I are kind of stuck in the middle. Sitting in the Razorback section since my BIL has access to great seats through the alumni club but rooting on the inside for the Aggies like the good Texans we are.

Midnight Yell and the Aggie band are an experience, for sure.

Oh yeah, we always watch the Aggies when they are on TV playing football or baseball. We were able to go to a football game at the school last year and it was a lot of fun. The stadium is huge. The band is awesome and very talented. The school spirit at TAMU is amazing.

I guess one of the school things is to put your thumb up when someone takes a picture of you. I saw a picture of my son with his girlfriend's family and said that it looked like is had his thumb up. He said that he did and after the picture was taken he said, "Gig'em." haha. I noticed there is someone on the show Big Brother this year who went to TAMU and after one of his diary room sessions he said, "Gig'em." It was so funny. They really do have great school spirit that stays with them wherever they go.

My daughter moved to Orlando on Monday and checked in for the Disney College Program. She sent me a picture today of her standing in front of Disney University and titled it "first day of school". She will be working at Epcot as a Vacation Planner
(a.k.a. ticket seller).

Tonight she texted and said her and a bunch of friends were spending the evening at Animal Kingdom and tomorrow they are all going to Magic Kingdom...yep...I'm pretty jealous!

Oh yeah, we always watch the Aggies when they are on TV playing football or baseball. We were able to go to a football game at the school last year and it was a lot of fun. The stadium is huge. The band is awesome and very talented. The school spirit at TAMU is amazing.

I guess one of the school things is to put your thumb up when someone takes a picture of you. I saw a picture of my son with his girlfriend's family and said that it looked like is had his thumb up. He said that he did and after the picture was taken he said, "Gig'em." haha. I noticed there is someone on the show Big Brother this year who went to TAMU and after one of his diary room sessions he said, "Gig'em." It was so funny. They really do have great school spirit that stays with them wherever they go.

Gig 'em

My daughter moved to Orlando on Monday and checked in for the Disney College Program. She sent me a picture today of her standing in front of Disney University and titled it "first day of school". She will be working at Epcot as a Vacation Planner
(a.k.a. ticket seller).

Tonight she texted and said her and a bunch of friends were spending the evening at Animal Kingdom and tomorrow they are all going to Magic Kingdom...yep...I'm pretty jealous!

How fun! I'm jealous too!

Can't believe our kids are going to be juniors!!! My son changed his major from music to communications. He has had an awesome internship with United Way this summer. He has been planning their annual kick-off which is this Friday. Saturday we move him into his apartment and school starts next Monday. He is very happy to get an apartment off campus as food on campus is bad...think raw chicken bad. I've been making him a cookbook all summer.

DD moves in in just about two weeks. She's still a technical theater major, but has added a computer science minor at Dad's insistence that she add something 'practical' to her degree.

She'll be in an on-campus apartment this year, it's 2 doubles with two bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen. She doesn't know any of the other girls who will be in the apartment. The other bedroom than hers only has one girl in it so far, but that will likely change. DD isn't worried about sharing the apartment with strangers because she's hardly ever in her room anyway.

She's excited to be a junior, but she has enough credits to graduate at the end of this year except for a couple required classes that she'll be short on. She has decided not to rush to finish, so she's going to just take it easy, 13 credits this semester and work on enhancing her resume. She's going to be the stage manager of one of the theater department productions this semester, and therefore will be spending most of her time in the theater shop (hence not caring about the room mate situation, since she'll spend almost all her non-class time there).

She spent the summer working on a couple community theater productions, she also worked several shows at her on campus job and the off-campus place that calls for per diem help. Most weeks she worked 3-4 days for the lady who runs an ebay store here in town, just like last summer.

I'll miss her when she's gone, but I will be glad to get back into our routine that we've gotten used to while she's at school.

I just had to drop back in and say that my sons 2 roommates showed up. And one brought a kitten. And the other brought a year old dog. I didn't realize they could have pets in those apartments.
He said it was hectic in the apartment last night because the kitten kept wanting to play with the dog and the dog wanted no part of that.
I don't know what those guys were thinking - or maybe they weren't. They probably didn't communicate with each other. And pets will mean they can't just take off and go to the beach this year like they did last year a couple of times.

He finally just went in his room and closed his door. In addition, the apartment wi-fi wasn't working and he had to wait for tech support to show up and figure out why. For a computer major, that was extremely stressful and annoying. But it's working now and hopefully will stay that way.

DS is heading to London to study abroad for the semester. Can't believe I won't see him until Christmas. Then only 3 more semesters til graduation. It is flying by!

I can't wait to hear how it's going for him. My dd will be in Lincoln England next semester! Any tips for getting them ready to go abroad, I would LOVE to hear!

(a.k.a. ticket seller).

Ok so jealous! My dd would have loved to do that, but she decided on England instead.

I just had to drop back in and say that my sons 2 roommates showed up. And one brought a kitten. And the other brought a year old dog. I didn't realize they could have pets in those apartments.
He said it was hectic in the apartment last night because the kitten kept wanting to play with the dog and the dog wanted no part of that.
I don't know what those guys were thinking - or maybe they weren't. They probably didn't communicate with each other. And pets will mean they can't just take off and go to the beach this year like they did last year a couple of times.

He finally just went in his room and closed his door. In addition, the apartment wi-fi wasn't working and he had to wait for tech support to show up and figure out why. For a computer major, that was extremely stressful and annoying. But it's working now and hopefully will stay that way.

I'm sure it will settle down when they get used to each other. Weird that they can have pets in a college apartment.

My dd never really came home for the summer. She came home in May before her apartment lease started June 1st. She then went back up for an internship and to work. Stupid part is, her two roommates, have slept there maybe 4 times total, between the two of them, so she is always alone! In a crappy ground floor apartment. I was so excited to not have to move her again until graduation, but there is no way she will be staying there next year. Being below ground floor they get some bugs, and she hates bugs. The real fun part of that is that she will be in England still when her lease ends LOL, so it's all going to be on us and her roommate, if she keeps one. I hate that she is alone. I miss her something awful. I have seen her a few times, but nothing like when she is here.

Then in January she will leave for 5 months, and it will be 3 full months before I see her again, I may totally melt down LOL.

She has added her double major back in, she had dropped it to a Film major, writing minor, but now it's double again. She found she didn't have enough classes to take to get the film degree, so she figured why not. She could have graduated at the end of this year, but wanted to go to England, so she will now finish in 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter