Panic - Will we be allowed to fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a key doc clinic near you or something similar which you can go to? Around here we have key doc clinics that are open every day for emergency doctors appointments which are not urgent enough for A&E.

Does your health visitor have an emergency /out of hours contact number? or is it through your surgery.

I don't think you will get a docs note to fly as I dont think your child will be non contagious or fit to fly soon -but even if you have to wait until Monday -you should be able to get a docs note for insurance purposes as if you haven't been able to get a docs letter due to the docs being on holiday it is out of your hands.

If you go to A and E at least there will be a note of your childs chicken pox being registered and that will be proof that you tried to see a doctor regarding it.

hope you get some joy
x

have u spoke to ur insurance & explained the situation??

if u say that ur dd has chicken pox, and that she cannot get a drs note so obviously u cannot fly due to airline refusing - ask about claiming if the drs note is got at the earliest possible date - which wud be monday - and see if thats ok.... surely they must be able to understand that u cannot get 'proof' if no one will let u get to see a dr!!!

wish i had any other ideas, but not sure how it works with where u r..... good luck if u do go to a & e - can u not cry to emphasise ur situation?? maybe get a dr that is compassionate.....

fingers crossed...

It sounds like A&E is your only option - you're right, you're not guaranteed a letter bu at least you've got a chance!

If it turns out that you can't go, I would have thought that you could get doctors note on Monday for your insurance. They will still know that your dd had chicken pox and I would have thought they could write it to cover the appropriate dates? :confused3

Fingers crossed here for you getting it sorted out before then, though :)

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but why do you need an out of hours doctor? Today is a normal working day and your GP surgery should be open, I would think. :confused3

I'm with Nikki on this. Cry. Definitely.:rotfl: Having said that, the way you are feeling at the moment, it probably won't be too difficult to do that anyway. I am keeping everything crossed for you.

If you are not allowed to fly, perhaps you could have something up your sleeve as a 'consolation prize' for your kids? It will be bad enough to postpone/cancel your holiday, without the kids guilt-tripping you with tears.

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but why do you need an out of hours doctor? Today is a normal working day and your GP surgery should be open, I would think.

Apparently not!

The problem I'm having is that it's still a holiday here in Scotland tomorrow, so our doctors is still shut and will not re-open until Monday - the day after we're supposed to leave.

If you are not allowed to fly, perhaps you could have something up your sleeve as a 'consolation prize' for your kids? It will be bad enough to postpone/cancel your holiday, without the kids guilt-tripping you with tears.

Kids are surprisingly resiliant! Last year we were packed and ready to go to California, then we ended up not being able to go. Whilst I was in floods of tears after what seemed like hours on hold waiting to get through to Virgin on the phone, my daughter (age 5 at the time) said "don't worry mummy, it's only a holiday - we can have fun at home instead" :hug: :hug:

Its not in Scotland. 02nd Jan is a bank /public holiday . We have that instead of one of the Bank holidays in summer.

Kids are surprisingly resiliant! Last year we were packed and ready to go to California, then we ended up not being able to go. Whilst I was in floods of tears after what seemed like hours on hold waiting to get through to Virgin on the phone, my daughter (age 5 at the time) said "don't worry mummy, it's only a holiday - we can have fun at home instead" :hug: :hug:

Bless.:goodvibes
Unfortunately mine would probably cry louder than me.:lmao:

Its not in Scotland. 02nd Jan is a bank /public holiday . We have that instead of one of the Bank holidays in summer.

Sorry - I must be skim reading.

You can't be the only ones to fall ill on a Bank Holiday surely. The insurance company must be used to this - if you are due to fly on Christmas Day you wouldn't get a medical certificate on that day, you would need to wait until everything opened again. They must accept a Doctors letter signed Monday, which would confirm that your daughter would have already had chicken pox on the Sunday.

The only other drastic action I can suggest is to go the airport and be refused entry to the airplane. Ask for that in writing and then give that to your insurance company.That would be a bit traumatic for your children though. :sad2:

Sorry - I must be skim reading.

You can't be the only ones to fall ill on a Bank Holiday surely. The insurance company must be used to this - if you are due to fly on Christmas Day you wouldn't get a medical certificate on that day, you would need to wait until everything opened again. They must accept a Doctors letter signed Monday, which would confirm that your daughter would have already had chicken pox on the Sunday.

The only other drastic action I can suggest is to go the airport and be refused entry to the airplane. Ask for that in writing and then give that to your insurance company.That would be a bit traumatic for your children though. :sad2:

Apparently that would void your insurance as you have to be up-front about it.

I agree though - the insurance companies must be used to people being ill during public holidays. How stressful.

Ah Chicken Pox - my favourite topic! Bit of an expert as I am a midwife with no immunity to varicella and have researched the topic to miminise the risk in my job. It all came to a head last year when my two children got it (believe or not I didn't) but was advised by two microbiologists that 5 days after the first spot appears the viral load is very low and the patient isn't contagious.

Is it worth a call to your local public health lab for advice? They may have guidelines you could take??? In the meantime will continue to search my file to see if I can find anything that may help.

Ah Chicken Pox - my favourite topic! Bit of an expert as I am a midwife with no immunity to varicella and have researched the topic to miminise the risk in my job. It all came to a head last year when my two children got it (believe or not I didn't) but was advised by two microbiologists that 5 days after the first spot appears the viral load is very low and the patient isn't contagious.

Is it worth a call to your local public health lab for advice? They may have guidelines you could take??? In the meantime will continue to search my file to see if I can find anything that may help.

Cookie has been told that without a doctor's note, they will not be able to board, even if the spots have all scabbed over. I didn't think her DD would be contagious if the spots first appeared on Tuesday. She would have been at her most contagious on Sunday and Monday, wouldn't she?

I remember going to my GP with my eldest when she had them. I advised the receptionist that she had chicken pox and asked her if we should sit outside the waiting room. She looked at me as if I'd gone mad, shrugged her shoulders and said it was up to me! At the same time my pregnant friend came over (before DD's spots had appeared). She hadn't had chicken pox and had to have a blood test but she had immunity.:confused3

Cookie has been told that without a doctor's note, they will not be able to board, even if the spots have all scabbed over.

OK - just thought that as she is having trouble getting this a Department of Health Guideline would be the next best thing.

Thank you all, all your messages and help have been great and really helped stop me going crazy today.

I've discovered (as laluna also said) that DD should not be contagious by Sunday. I contacted my insurance company and told them this. I also explained that I have no way of getting a doctors note until Monday. The insurance company advised me to go along on Sunday and see what happens. If they will not let us board the plane, we need to get something in writing explaining their reasons, then phone the insurance company. If we do this, they will accept a doctors note written on Monday and we will get our money back :cool1: :cheer2: :yay:.

So, if you haven't heard from me by about lunchtime on Sunday, we'll have made it to DLP :rotfl:. For those of you going to the meet on 7th, if I'm not there it's probably coz we never made it onto the flight :rotfl2:

On the plus side of it all, it's helped me make the decision that I'm not going to upgrade from half board plus to half board premium ;) :lmao:

Thank you all, all your messages and help have been great and really helped stop me going crazy today.

I've discovered (as laluna also said) that DD should not be contagious by Sunday. I contacted my insurance company and told them this. I also explained that I have no way of getting a doctors note until Monday. The insurance company advised me to go along on Sunday and see what happens. If they will not let us board the plane, we need to get something in writing explaining their reasons, then phone the insurance company. If we do this, they will accept a doctors note written on Monday and we will get our money back :cool1: :cheer2: :yay:.

So, if you haven't heard from me by about lunchtime on Sunday, we'll have made it to DLP :rotfl:. For those of you going to the meet on 7th, if I'm not there it's probably coz we never made it onto the flight :rotfl2:

On the plus side of it all, it's helped me make the decision that I'm not going to upgrade from half board plus to half board premium ;) :lmao:

well at least you got your answer. are you gonna explain to your kids before you go to the airport that you might not be left go? have you heard back from the drs yet nhs is it?? its such a shame that you cant get something as simple as a note to say one way or the other that she will be ok

fingers crossed & hope i dont see any posts from u on sunday (in a nice way of course ;) :rotfl: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter