Panic - Will we be allowed to fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie334

DIS Veteran
Happy New Year Everyone!!

I'm in a bit of a panic. We're due to fly out on Sunday and DD2 has got the chickenpox!!! She's absolutely covered. She's had them a few days now and they are starting to scab over, but will they let us on the flight? :scared1:

I googled it and have read lots of stories about not being allowed to fly. Anyone know what Air France are like? If we're not allowed on, what are we going to do?

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I'm in a bit of a panic. We're due to fly out on Sunday and DD2 has got the chickenpox!!! She's absolutely covered. She's had them a few days now and they are starting to scab over, but will they let us on the flight? :scared1:

I googled it and have read lots of stories about not being allowed to fly. Anyone know what Air France are like? If we're not allowed on, what are we going to do?

I hadn't even thought of that! I thought that once the spots came out, that you were no longer contagious. I'm sure my friend flew to France with her 3 year old who had chicken pox. Put a big hat and scarf on your DD lol. Could you ask your doctor for a note, saying that she is ok to fly - a bit like pregnant women are required to do?

Been in the exact same situation. We flew with BA and we had to get a letter from the doctor ( we were in Florida at the time) to state that DD was not a risk to passengers and safe to fly. You will know this as all the spots will be dried up.

We did phone BA and this is what they told us to do - you should call to Air France to confirm they will accept a doctors letter.

Good luck

Oh no, poor DD.
I always thought that once scabs appeared infection was not transferable :)
Hope you can get an answer from Air France.

By the time the scabs dry up, she's no longer infectious, but I would phone Air France and check their policy and get a note from the doctor in case you have any problems.

oh that is awful i agree with the others i would contact the airline to see if they will accept a doctors note. your poor dd

The spots have to be completely dried up (scabbed over) - my daughter had chicken pox 10 days before our holiday last year. It was only the day before that the doctor would give us the note, but hopefully your daughter's might dry up quicker than that and in time to go :hug:

The spots have to be completely dried up (scabbed over) - my daughter had chicken pox 10 days before our holiday last year. It was only the day before that the doctor would give us the note, but hopefully your daughter's might dry up quicker than that and in time to go :hug:

Perhaps my idea of a hat and scarf is a good idea.:scared1: Is she young enough that you could pretend she is asleep and carry her too?

I would go for doctors letter, as to late if the desk will not let you through :)

Is she young enough that you could pretend she is asleep and carry her too?

Hope you're only joking as if she is still contagious the whole plane could catch it!

Such rotten timing. My DD got them just before we were due to go to WDW but luckily only a mild case and we got a dr's note that she was fit to fly although we were never asked for it as they were not obvious, ie on face etc. I would ring the airline and see a dr to get a note to be on the safe side. Sounds like she's over the worst of it though.

I work as a team leader for a big international airline and our rule is that all the spots have to have completely healed before the person is allowed to travel. Chicken Pox can be highly dangerous to pregnant women and their unborn children so we are choosing not to take any chances.

dolphingirl47

Hope you're only joking as if she is still contagious the whole plane could catch it!

You are most contagious before the spots appear. So even 'unspotty' people could be passing it around. It is dangerous for pregnant women, which is why I wish the vaccine was licensed for use with children.

Oh No - what a nighthmare for you and your DD. A few of us were only talking about our fear of getting it on a thread a couple of weeks ago.

I read something today about not flying until 7 days AFTER the final spot had come out. I can't remember where it was. I do hope she is ok :goodvibes

Forgot to add, you should be covered by your travel insurance if you are unable to go because it is a medical reason.

xxx

Apparently the risk of contagion decreases sharply once the spots appear and as a rule is unlikely to be contagious 5 days after the first spot has appeared - but that doesn't help you. Don't know if it's an old wife's tale, but I read that salt baths can help dry spots. Calpol, liquid piriton and calamine should help your DD feel better. What a nightmare. This could so easily happen to us too, so I really sympathise.

Also, I really think you should get your DD to the doctor tomorrow - if she is allowed to fly (if they are all scabbed), you will most probably need a letter from him saying so, otherwise the airline could refuse to let you board.

Please keep us updated - as someone whose youngest hasn't had it yet, this is a real fear for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter