Panic - Will we be allowed to fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is slapped cheek?

It's called 5th disease because it's the 5th most common disease in little kids. It's a virus where they feel ill and appear to have a cold but also a bright red cheek - they look like they have been slapped. It can be very dangerous for pregnant women and people with sickle cell.

It's called 5th disease because it's the 5th most common disease in little kids. It's a virus where they feel ill and appear to have a cold but also a bright red cheek - they look like they have been slapped. It can be very dangerous for pregnant women and people with sickle cell.

Oh, i didnt know that. Do they have just 1 red cheek then?

Ohmigosh - do you think some GPs just make it up as they go along?

I think they get a lot of neurotic pregnant women in, and quite often they just want you to get you out of the surgery. Frightening isn't it?

Really pleased things are looking a little brighter for you. I'm at least glad that your Insurance Company have given some further advice.

It must be a nightmare for you - I find going away with my two children stressful enough without the added - are we/aren't we going situation!!

I must say I'm always a bit confused by the contagious period of CP - I always thought it was once the last spot has scabbed over and most of my DD1's friends who have had it have still got more spots sppearing until up to day 10. Everywhere you look and read, it states something different which really makes me wonder if they honestly do know for definite when it's not contagious or are just 'playing safe'....!

Good luck!

Yeah I don't think anyone really knows for sure as the general "rules" around it change all the time, which is probably why they're so funny about kids travelling with it.

I know what you mean. This is O/T and may be TMI, but I caught chicken pox as an adult, just 3 weeks after we decided to try for a baby. I knew there wasn't much chance that I was already pregnant, but I mentioned it to the GP anyway and he was completely unconcerned and said there was no health risk in pregnancy. :scared1:

Fortunately I wasn't, but just over a month later I was.....and my son has never had chicken pox, so I presume he is awash with strong anti-bodies!

That's terrible. I was in a similar situation when I was pregnant with DD2 (the one with the chicken pox now :rotfl: ), DD1 had the chickenpox and the doctor didn't seem to think it mattered. It was a bit different in that it wasn't me with the chickenpox but it was still dangerous in case I caught shingles, but the doctor wasn't concerned in the slightest, I had to do my own research online to see what the risks were.

:scared1:
This is O/T too but when I was pregnant with my third baby, my middle daughter had slapped cheek. I went to the GP who said that he didn't believe it was a risk. I insisted he look it up and he found that it was a significant risk. If I had caught it, the advice is to terminate. I had to see if I was immune. I wasn't, so I had to just wait to see if I developed it. I didn't develop it, which was lucky because middle DD had slept with me every night while she was ill. Looks like we were both lucky.

Again that's shocking. We go to the doctors in faith that what they tell us is true and all the while they're putting kids lives at risk.

Ohmigosh - do you think some GPs just make it up as they go along?

I think the problem is that so many people now go to the doctors for absolutely ANYTHING and 90% of it is time wasters, things that will get better on its own and the likes, so the doctors have gotten into the habit of giving the same response.

I don't have any faith in doctors whatsoever, but that's a totally different story altogether :rotfl: but I do think a lot of doctors just make it up these days.

My mum had reduced immunity after being very ill in hospital. Just when she was on the mend, she got shingles. It was awful - she was in such a lot of pain and it was really nasty.

Sorry Emma, missed your post - yes they have one red cheek.

Just catching up here ~ sending you lots of :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and I really hope we don't hear from you from Sunday onwards! ;)

o/t those drs can be scary when they tell u of no risk......
uve all been very lucky - a friend wasnt, and she lost her baby at 23wks *** of slapped cheek......

i can understand that they get alot of ppl, but they shud be a bit more careful what they say - maybe get sum standard guidlines with risks and contagious periods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uve all been very lucky - a friend wasnt, and she lost her baby at 23wks *** of slapped cheek......

i can understand that they get alot of ppl, but they shud be a bit more careful what they say - maybe get sum standard guidlines with risks and contagious periods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here here. I was petrified, waiting to see if I developed slapped cheek. I know that, in this case, there was little that the GP could have done, and I couldn't have avoided my other DD when she had it, but you expect the GP to at least be aware of the risks. It got me thinking with the OP, because how many people would unwittingly take their child on a plane with slapped cheek?:confused3

Here here. I was petrified, waiting to see if I developed slapped cheek. I know that, in this case, there was little that the GP could have done, and I couldn't have avoided my other DD when she had it, but you expect the GP to at least be aware of the risks. It got me thinking with the OP, because how many people would unwittingly take their child on a plane with slapped cheek?:confused3

Exactly and slapped cheek probably wouldn't be as obvious as chicken pox

Definitely, I mean why bother becoming a doctor if you're just going to generalise people and give the same standard response.

Just catching up here ~ sending you lots of :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and I really hope we don't hear from you from Sunday onwards! ;)

Not too hopeful for tomorrow to be honest. All the spots are definitely scabbed over, so I'm pretty sure she'd be safe to fly if we were able to see a doctor, but her face is covered so I can't see them just letting us on without at least asking some questions. Trying to think positive though. Anyone know if they usually have a doctor at the airport? Probably wishful thinking, but hey worth a try right? :confused3

I have just caught up with this thread

How awful for you and your family.Hope your DD gets well soon :sick: and hope the spots fade away before tomorrow.

Sending you lots and lots of pox healing hugs so you can get on the plane and we can meet on Wednesday

not sure about a dr - but id guess thered be some sort of medical team?????

good news tho if they are scabbing over - am still keeping my fingers crossed i dont have to read a post from u tomorro :lmao:

stay positive....

Slapped cheek is very different to CP in pregnancy. Like I said earlier, if you have had CP as a child/adult and then get pregnant your baby will be fine - you have an immunity you pass through the blood - there is a slight risk baby could be born with CP if you catch v late in pregnancy but the risk is v v low. However, as Juliette pointed out slapped cheek can seriously damage a baby and can cause miscarriage - you would need to be tested for immunity (a lot of people will not be immune as it's not as common) as Juliette was. It's terrible that her GP did not know of the risk but I guess they don't know everything :confused3

Being the mother of a young child and also a baby I actually always research illnesses/stuff now myself before/after diagnosis as I don't always trust what I am told. Mainly because we've had the unfortunate situation of having both children in and out of hospital (most just outpatients but some inpatients) and I've come to realise medical opinion often contradicts itself!!! :headache:

On another note, (just in case someone reads the thread) you cannot catch shingles from CP, but CAN catch CP from shingles! Not sure why but that is a definite... And of course, shingles can come from an auto immune issue and so isn't 'caught' per se - it's normally in a person who is v stressed, run down, has a compromised immune system or something...

I only know all this because I've looked into it quite a few times with having young children myself :rolleyes1 I think I missed my vocation in life :rotfl2:

Slapped cheek is very different to CP in pregnancy. Like I said earlier, if you have had CP as a child/adult and then get pregnant your baby will be fine - you have an immunity you pass through the blood - there is a slight risk baby could be born with CP if you catch v late in pregnancy but the risk is v v low. However, as Juliette pointed out slapped cheek can seriously damage a baby and can cause miscarriage - you would need to be tested for immunity (a lot of people will not be immune as it's not as common) as Juliette was. It's terrible that her GP did not know of the risk but I guess they don't know everything :confused3

Being the mother of a young child and also a baby I actually always research illnesses/stuff now myself before/after diagnosis as I don't always trust what I am told. Mainly because we've had the unfortunate situation of having both children in and out of hospital (most just outpatients but some inpatients) and I've come to realise medical opinion often contradicts itself!!! :headache:

On another note, (just in case someone reads the thread) you cannot catch shingles from CP, but CAN catch CP from shingles! Not sure why but that is a definite... And of course, shingles can come from an auto immune issue and so isn't 'caught' per se - it's normally in a person who is v stressed, run down, has a compromised immune system or something...

I only know all this because I've looked into it quite a few times with having young children myself :rolleyes1 I think I missed my vocation in life
:rotfl2:

Definitely!:lmao:

You are right though, it is better to research stuff yourself than rely on your GP to know everything. I have also had midwives give me wrong information before. :scared1: I think we put a lot of faith in health professionals but they are fallible - and only human after all.:)

One doctor refused to believe that i had hyperemesis when i was pregnant, until i got very angry and demanded to be sent to the hospital to be checked out.

Ended up in admitted to the maternity ward in the end.

Just caught up with this thread - no posts today does that mean the op did manage to fly after all??

i certainly hope we can take it they were able to board the plane

I'm sure we will hear what happened soon. So as this is dicussion is finished I'm closing the thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter