Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly , at this point of technology, it’s just a no brainer to move to a virtual que for every ride.
You show up 20 minutes before your scheduled time and wait 20 minutes. That leave you free to spend more money shopping and eating.
I sure hope not. Virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance absolutely sucks. Boarding passes are gone within a millisecond and most people left out to dry. I'd rather at least have the option to wait in a multi-hour line up than to be completely shut out of riding because my phone wasn't fast enough to score a ticket.

Here is my argument against FP.
We did a trip to Disneyland a few years ago when they did not have FP for Matterhorn.
Even when the line was stretching around the mountain we did not wait much more than 20 minutes (this was in Feb so wait time would be a bit higher during peak times). This was my DD favorite ride and she rode it at least a dozen time on the trip. Many times we would get off the ride and get right back in line.

Now the ride has FP. I very much doubt we would have gone on the ride anywhere close to that number of times as FP would be gone and standby would be 2 or more times longer. Definitely no more back to back rides.

The other draw back for FP is that it makes any trip that much less flexible. FP+ even more so. You have to make sure you are in a certain part of the park at a certain time frame. Add in juggling dining reservations so they do not conflict with FP times and it becomes tiresome with all that planning. I should not need to create a spreadsheet with all my plans laid out down to the hour.

Fastpass will be back as soon as they reduce social distancing. The problem is that is is impossible to social distance with FP line adjacent to a standbye line. Once herd immunity is reached, I'd be willing to bet that FP will be one of the first changes to resume. Will it return as we know? Will it be paid FP only? Obviously no one knows. It would be an interesting perk if they included it free for on site guests, and off site had to pay for it. Just a thought. Disney has said that they have the demand for increased capacity right now, but can't due to social distancing. They can't increase capacity much more at this point without some type of FP, or you will be waiting 40-50 minutes for Small World level rides. No thanks.

If you knew how to work the previous FP system you never waiting more than 20 minutes for anything. Now without FP, you are going to wait 20+ minutes for basically everything outside of early morning. Anyone who tells you they wait less now without FP, simply had no clue how to maximize FP system to their advantage. I will welcome it back paid or free. In fact if it is converted to paid FP, the advantage would become even greater if you have it. It will be interesting how it plays out. I'll bet it is back between August and October. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. its going to be awhile before its back, but we were a family that knew how to use it. We never waited long for anything. So my family unfortunately won't be back until some form of FP is back. We just aren't willing to stand in line that long for anything, much less for everything.

As I recall there aren’t kiosks at DL, so to get the regular FP’s you have to actually go to the ride itself which makes Maxpass not just more convenient but WAY more convenient, especially since you can make them for the other park. Also, with MP you can make your next pass as soon as you tap into the ride, even as you’re walking through the FP line which saves you 15-30 minutes versus having to walk through the line, ride the ride, and walk all the way to the next ride to reserve your next pass. And I feel like the wait time between being able to make your next pass was shorter with MP if your pass was for later in the day. Like if you make a FP for RSR as soon as you step in the park but the pass is for 4:00, you only have to wait 90 minutes to make your next pass, versus 2 hours with regular FP. But I’m not sure about that one.

As I recall there aren’t kiosks at DL, so to get the regular FP’s you have to actually go to the ride itself which makes Maxpass not just more convenient but WAY more convenient, especially since you can make them for the other park. Also, with MP you can make your next pass as soon as you tap into the ride, even as you’re walking through the FP line which saves you 15-30 minutes versus having to walk through the line, ride the ride, and walk all the way to the next ride to reserve your next pass. And I feel like the wait time between being able to make your next pass was shorter with MP if your pass was for later in the day. Like if you make a FP for RSR as soon as you step in the park but the pass is for 4:00, you only have to wait 90 minutes to make your next pass, versus 2 hours with regular FP. But I’m not sure about that one.
That’s correct. It cut the time down to 90 minutes between. They did have some centralized fp machines. Like all of Tomorrowland was centralized by the Tomorrowland theatre.

This. A line without FastPass moves exponentially faster than a standby line that gets held up for FastPassers.
Only for people who don't know how to utilize fastpass +. Before they took it away I never waited in lines for seven dwarfs, test track, fop or anything for longer than 20 minutes. When I went in October I didn't even bother riding seven dwarfs the wait was so long, test track and FOP were over am hour and other rides like space and thunder mountain were one and dones because the waits were so long. I have never had issues getting same day fastpasses for even the most popular rides multiple times a day. It isn't hard and not having them means I'm spending unnecessary money standing in lines. I'll pay to have fastpasses again just hecause I get so much more out of a day when I have them.

Only for people who don't know how to utilize fastpass +. Before they took it away I never waited in lines for seven dwarfs, test track, fop or anything for longer than 20 minutes. When I went in October I didn't even bother riding seven dwarfs the wait was so long, test track and FOP were over am hour and other rides like space and thunder mountain were one and dones because the waits were so long. I have never had issues getting same day fastpasses for even the most popular rides multiple times a day. It isn't hard and not having them means I'm spending unnecessary money standing in lines. I'll pay to have fastpasses again just hecause I get so much more out of a day when I have them.
I have to call BS on that second part. I’ve never seen a fastpass come up day of for FoP or 7DMT. There definitely aren’t enough that would come up to let you ride multiple times a day.

Yes, fast passes are nice for people who know how to work the system, but they make the experience worse for everyone else. Disney gave out way too many fast passes out and that has killed the standby lines. We went this past December and it was so nice without fastpass. Our longest wait was 50 minutes for splash mountain. The biggest benefit is that the standby lines actually move. You’re not stuck in the same place for 10 minutes at a time waiting for all of the fastpass guests to merge.

I have to call BS on that second part. I’ve never seen a fastpass come up day of for FoP or 7DMT. There definitely aren’t enough that would come up to let you ride multiple times a day.

Yes, fast passes are nice for people who know how to work the system, but they make the experience worse for everyone else. Disney gave out way too many fast passes out and that has killed the standby lines. We went this past December and it was so nice without fastpass. Our longest wait was 50 minutes for splash mountain. The biggest benefit is that the standby lines actually move. You’re not stuck in the same place for 10 minutes at a time waiting for all of the fastpass guests to merge.
You call BS because you don't know how to work the system. That is why you don't mind not having fastpass. Just because you have never had it happen doesn't make it untrue.

With FP, I never waited more than 20 minutes for any ride. I am scared to return this summer without FP if waits for every single ride are over 30 minutes and the more popular rides are all an hour plus. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and they can't handle those kinds of waits. We went last summer in early August and it was glorious. The longest we waited for a ride was 20 minutes for 7DMT and MMRR and 13 minutes for Splash. I can't imagine how bad waits will be this summer without some kind of FP or maxpass or virtual queue. Masks we can handle, but horrid wait times are sadly a deal breaker :( It will be a happy day I do not expect FP to return by summerfor my family when some kind of FP is announced. I will pay!
With FP, I never waited more than 20 minutes for any ride. I am scared to return this summer without FP if waits for every single ride are over 30 minutes and the more popular rides are all an hour plus. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and they can't handle those kinds of waits. We went last summer in early August and it was glorious. The longest we waited for a ride was 20 minutes for 7DMT and MMRR and 13 minutes for Splash. I can't imagine how bad waits will be this summer without some kind of FP or maxpass or virtual queue. Masks we can handle, but horrid wait times are sadly a deal breaker :( It will be a happy day for my family when some kind of FP is announced. I will pay!
I do not look for FP to return for summer but if they would what would you plan to do with your kids without a line other than bathroom while waiting for your FP/maxi pass. there are no parades, shows or meets and greets. long line for food and most shopping

Yep, as long as it works for just you it doesn’t matter what it does to everyone else right?
It works for a lot of people. Just because you don't agree it doesn't make everyone else wrong. Disney will bring back fastpasses and it may be paid and there are plenty of us who will pay. Then you win too not as many people will be using it so people such as yourself won't have to wait as long and people such as me will have even shorter waits for even more rides. Don't hate on the people who know how to use a system you haven't figured out.

Now that WDW can use the Park Pass to predict crowds and associated resource needs, makes it much easier for them to focus on Fastpass as a revenue source. I think the immediate need to increase onsite resort bookings will lead to some sort of base free system for resort guests, but everyone else better be prepared to pry open their wallets regardless of the type of FP system.

It works for a lot of people. Just because you don't agree it doesn't make everyone else wrong. Disney will bring back fastpasses and it may be paid and there are plenty of us who will pay. Then you win too not as many people will be using it so people such as yourself won't have to wait as long and people such as me will have even shorter waits for even more rides. Don't hate on the people who know how to use a system you haven't figured out.
I know how to use the fastpass system. I know how to work the system. We use it quite a bit while we’re at Disney World.

I can also see the pretty obvious flaws in that system. I would probably pay for a paid fastpass system. We pay for MaxPass every time we go to Disneyland.

I have a bit of empathy for people that have to wait in three hour lines for FoP and 7DMT.

Now that WDW can use the Park Pass to predict crowds and associated resource needs, makes it much easier for them to focus on Fastpass as a revenue source. I think the immediate need to increase onsite resort bookings will lead to some sort of base free system for resort guests, but everyone else better be prepared to pry open their wallets regardless of the type of FP system.
I really hope that would allow them to cut down the number of fast passes available on any given day. They’ve been giving out way too many fast passes the past few years.

I know how to use the fastpass system. I know how to work the system. We use it quite a bit while we’re at Disney World.

I can also see the pretty obvious flaws in that system. I would probably pay for a paid fastpass system. We pay for MaxPass every time we go to Disneyland.

I have a bit of empathy for people that have to wait in three hour lines for FoP and 7DMT.
I figure cause you said you never see a 7DMT or FOP same day you don't. But you do you. I have no issues with the fastpass system as it is and prefer way more than not having one because as I said I could ride E ticket rides multiple times a day with no more than a 20 minute wait.

I really hope that would allow them to cut down the number of fast passes available on any given day. They’ve been giving out way too many fast passes the past few years.
If it’s a paid version of the prior system, I would imagine there will be fewer FPs distributed overall, but probably not for the more popular rides. And of course WDW will be incentivized to keep selling more FPs if the demand is there. If they really push the envelope and use real-time dynamic pricing, who knows...

Maxpass at Disneyland is the greatest thing! For us, we would arrive for rope drop, grab our 1st fastpass on our phone while waiting for the rope to drop.....and our day of Disneyland domination began. We would contiue pulling fastpasses on our phone as soon as we scanned through each ride using the previous fastpass. We would usually be able to get 15-20 fastpasses everyday, never waiting in any line longer than 20 minutes. We could ride the kids' favourite, Big Thunder Mountain, get off, grab another fastpass, ride it again, get off, grab a fastpass, ride it again....all while walking by the same people still standing in the standby line. It was a very easy system to figure out how to "maximize" your day. We actually avoided WDW trips because we felt FP+ would give us an inferior experience. We have been to WDW twice now since it's reopening during low crowd times.....now that we are "hooked" on WDW, I would love to see something like maxpass come. It was WELL worth the cost to have an advantage over those that either had no idea how fastpasses worked or those who didn't care to pay for it. Plus it included all of our photos with photopass.

How long did you spend with the phone to get the same day fastpass for the really popular ride? From the time you picked up the phone until you got it back in your pocket or purse or belt holder. Include the "unsuccessful" sessions for example when you decided to give up and try again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter