Our Adventure Book: Planning Our Up Wedding Jan 2015; UPDATE 8/23!!!!!!

FrozenOne16

Mouseketeer
Our Adventure Book: Planning Our Up Wedding!

Welcome to my planning journal for our Up Wedding!!!! Rather than introducing the characters, I would like to put our story here. So that is what I will do! (I will edit this post to include more info as it comes!)

Our Story

I have always been a shy kind of person when it comes to the opposite sex. My best friend introduced me to the site called okcupid, and it helped me come out of my shell a little bit. On July 22, 2011, I got a message from a guy that I wouldn’t normally go for. And after that, we pretty much hit it off.

Now, because I am so shy, I refused to meet him. I didn’t think I knew enough about him. In January 2012, I got in a really bad car accident and I talked to Chase a lot. Then, in May 2012, I found out that I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery, and a week later we found out that my mom had breast cancer. So, meeting Chase kept being put off.

My mom went through chemo from June-September and had a double mastectomy in October, 2 days before her birthday. The doctor said everything went great, and my mom was diagnosed cancer free. So, throughout this journey with my mom, I decided that I needed to meet Chase and live life to the fullest. I couldn’t keep putting it off. We met on Halloween 2012 at a local restaurant that was neutral to both of us.

We had a few more dates after that, and talking to Chase just became a natural thing for me. On December 14, 2013, Chase asked me to officially be his girlfriend. How official? Facebook Official! LOL. We went on our first vacation in March 2013, and it was amazing. We had so much fun together.

Around July or August of 2013, my mom started to have some issues and needed fluid drained off of her lungs. Turns out, her cancer had returned in the form of cells in the fluid in her lungs. This was a hard pill to swallow and I was finding myself torn between Chase and caring for my mom. Luckily, Chase is an amazing man, and was by mine and my mom’s side for the best and the worst. (I think this is when he won my mom and my entire family over).

During this time, we started planning a trip for the 3 of us to Disney for January 2014. My mom was super excited, and so was Chase, since it was his first visit to Disney World. However, mom got more bad news; she was going to have to have a catheter put in so that we could drain her fluid every day. She was extremely worried that she would not recover in time to go to Disney.

Now, things that I did not know about were happening at the time. Chase had apparently been planning a huge surprise for me while we were at Disney. And, he had included my mom. Just knowing that this happened, makes me so happy.

So, my mom recovered and we went to Disney, and this is where Chase proposed to me. Yup, right in front of Cinderella Castle in Magic Kingdom. Apparently, Chase had asked both of my parents if he could marry me, and my mom helped him set the whole thing up.

Well, when we got home, my mom wound up in the hospital less than a week from our return. She was admitted for nausea, headache, and being out of breath. When you have cancerous cells in the fluid in your lungs, this is extremely dangerous. Well, my mom was stable over the weekend, her vitals were good, and they wanted to do a PET scan on that Monday. So, they did that, and the results came back the same as they had been. My mom and I were playing UNO and I never left her side. I refused to.

When she came back from the PET scan, her vitals began to drop and she wasn’t getting enough oxygen, so they moved her to the lung floor. Then, the next day, her vitals continued to drop, and she was moved to the ICU. This was the last day that I saw my mom conscious. And it absolutely broke my heart.

My mom was in the ICU for a week before her oncologist finally told me what was going on. Apparently, the cancerous cells that were in her lungs had spread to her bones. And she never told anyone. And this type of cancer was terminal. They couldn’t treat it, she would just be high on pain meds and miserable. So we as a family had to make a decision. We chose to let my mom make her own decision. She was on an oscillator, and we chose to move her back to the ventilator.

Before we moved her off of the oscillator, Chase and I decided to get married. It was January 30, 2014 around 3:30. His parents were there and my dad was as well. My uncle, brother and cousin were also there. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. My mom then held on until 1AM on February 1st. She passed peacefully, with nothing hooked up to her.

Now, this has been one of the hardest times of my life. My mom was my rock. I loved her with everything I have and this was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I was in charge of planning the funeral and there were some family arguments that happened between me and my grandparents. But that’s a different story for a different day. I also lost my job during this time. Basically, if I wouldn’t have had Chase by my side, I honestly don’t think I would have made it.

So now, we have decided to have a renewal of our vows with a full wedding ceremony and reception on January 30, 2015. I am so excited for this day. But it is so hard planning without my mom with me. But I am doing it, and I want to share it with some readers. I hope that if you are going through anything like I have went through, that I can somehow help you. Look towards the future. Remember the good times and the amazing memories.

I hope yall enjoy this! I am looking forward to writing it! Up next: We made our own Adventure Book!!!!

Our Adventure Book​

So, last weekend Chase and I decided to make an adventure book for our wedding. It is going to be our guest book. I thought that I could give everyone an insight to how we made it:)

So, here’s our inspiration:

We used 2 burlap panels for the outside of our book. Then, Chase drilled 2 holes in each panel. From there, we punched holes in some brown scrapbook paper, and then glued it onto the panels, front and back. Then, we cut some red scrapbook paper for the edge of the book and glued it on as well. On the front inside cover, I glued a travel log piece of scrapbook paper that Chase found at Michaels.

Then, I got to decorate the outside of the book with some stickers that we found at Michaels. We took 2 pieces of parchment like scrapbook paper for the insides flaps of our book. In between those, we put some off white cardstock paper. Then we laced the entire thing together.

I think it turned out awesome. And, if you have any questions on a part that I may have left out, just ask me! Also, all of the suppies (minus the drill), came from Michaels.

What a journey it has been so far. I really admire your courage and your outlook on everything. All the very best for your planning, your adventure book looks fantastic and I look forward to following along with your adventures!

What a journey it has been so far. I really admire your courage and your outlook on everything. All the very best for your planning, your adventure book looks fantastic and I look forward to following along with your adventures!

Thank you so much! And thanks for being my first subscriber!!!! I was starting to worry that I would be writing to myself. Which is fine, because writing is my outlet, especially after everything I have been through.

First off how wonderful it is that you were able to find such a great man to be by your side during such a hard and emotional time in your life! Congratulations on being able to renew your vows and your engagement story was so beautiful look forward to more of your plans, your adventure book is great too !

Melissa

I agree! He is an amazing man! And he is the one pushing to make sure that I get everything I want for this wedding! I am going to post here in a second some more small details. We still have yet to pick a venue!

How about some wedding specifics???

Wedding Party Total: 15 - Bride and Groom, 4 bridesmaids, 1 junior bridesmaid, 2 flower girls, 4 groomsmen, and 2 RING bearers (because I have called them pallbearers idk how many times lol)

Colors: Hot Pink and Lime Green (I’m bringing spring to winter people!!!!)

Theme: Disney/Pixar’s Up!!!!! (ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE)

Date: January 30, 2015

Number of Guests: 100 - mainly family:)

We are doing a lot of things ourselves and are trying to keep this wedding under $1000 total. My dress doesn’t count (even though it was only $240 with the extras).

Thanks for reading:)

The two of you have already experienced so much together -- it's good that you found the perfect partner to help you through it all. I'm excited to follow along with your vow renewal. :) Can't wait to see what venues you pick.

The two of you have already experienced so much together -- it's good that you found the perfect partner to help you through it all. I'm excited to follow along with your vow renewal. :) Can't wait to see what venues you pick.

I know! I am beyond blessed when it comes to him!

And honestly, me either! Everyone is so expensive! I've been crossing my fingers lately. A lot of the parks are closed here in NC for the winter, and that makes it really hard to find an affordable outdoor venue! We are still hunting though!

I'm also planning to have an UP theme and I LOVE your adventure book! I've seen them for sale online, but have been reluctant to spend nearly $100 on one. After seeing how great yours turned out, I may try to DIY one too.

I will be following along. I can't wait to hear more about your journey to your vow renewal!

Very touching story - thank you for sharing, you're a true inspiration!

I'm also planning on an UP theme (it's getting quite popular I guess? ;-)) and I really like to see what you come up with.

Fingers crossed you find a venue soon!!!

I'm also planning to have an UP theme and I LOVE your adventure book! I've seen them for sale online, but have been reluctant to spend nearly $100 on one. After seeing how great yours turned out, I may try to DIY one too.

I will be following along. I can't wait to hear more about your journey to your vow renewal!

Aww yay! I would love to hear about some of your ideas! And, if you would like to know what we used to make our book, I can send you a private message and let you know! It only took us about an hour to make and that's saying a lot, since I am known to be a bit of a perfectionist!

Love your adventure book! Can't wait to read more.

Thanks! We had a lot of fun together making it! I am so excited that my husband is excited to help me do all DIY projects. :banana:

Very touching story - thank you for sharing, you're a true inspiration!

I'm also planning on an UP theme (it's getting quite popular I guess? ;-)) and I really like to see what you come up with.

Fingers crossed you find a venue soon!!!

Thank you! I was on the fence at first about sharing the whole story, but it is a part of our journey together so I figured I should share it. It was hard to write, but definitely worth it. I love writing and keep a journal that I write in when I miss my mom. And my DH is very understanding.

I would love to see some of your ideas as well! I am planning on doing an update today, as soon as I can find some pictures of the ideas I have!

I haven't updated in a few days, and I really don't want to get behind! So, here's what's been goin on!

As far as a venue goes, we still do not have one, but we are going to look at one tomorrow. It is by a lake, and it is really pretty, from the pictures online! I am going to take my own pictures tomorrow, and I will post them on here if we choose that venue!

I got a few decorations a couple of weeks ago, and haven't posted them yet. My bad! For the balloons, we are going to do lit up lanterns that will be pink and green and they will hang from the ceiling. We got them from Five Below! I love that store!!!!

They look like this:

Now, we are also planning on a Disneymoon (I mean, really, who wouldn't have a Disney moon after a Disney themed wedding?) but we haven't been able to price it yet because Disney hasn't released any dates for 2015. So, I am patiently waiting until July 8-9, as that is when they are supposed to release the dates. Also, I would like to try to have a land and sea Disneymoon, but that may get on the expensive side! We have already decided to pretty much go all out on our honeymoon, but not completely crazy!!!! Oh well, time will tell! My DH wants to stay at a "resort that the monorail goes through." Yes, I stifled my laugh, as he is new to Disney. So we are trying for the contemporary!!!

Anyway, I don't really have any more info, but I thought a small update was in order! Thanks for reading! :thumbsup2

We found our venue!!!!!

So, as you can tell, I am quite excited that we have finally decided on a venue! My cousin (and matron of honor) found this place for us, and coincidentally, has raised our budget by about $1000, give or take some. The venue is at a marina and on the lake, and is only $750 for the day. It comes with chairs and tables for up to 150 people. Win! By far the cheapest in our area without looking cheap! The venue and my dress is still under $1000, so I'm happy. :thumbsup2

How about a few pictures?

This is the front, more than likely where we will leave from.

This ramp will be helpful for my grandparents.

The view from the front steps - there will be less cars because it will be in the middle of winter:)

The amazing fireplace! Even though it cannot be lit (bummer), they said that we can light it ourselves with candles. We are thinking about having our table in front of it, or the cake table. It's up in the air for now.

The 2 rooms! They are both the same size, with a hallway in between.

Hey William!

So, this is the wall that will be the background to our photo booth. Now, don't freak out, because I have specific plans for this...can't wait to make my dreams a reality on this one!

This is the deck that some people may opt to watch the wedding from. We will have a hot chocolate stand here, as well as some blankets for guests to use if it is really cold on our wedding day.

And finally, this is where our ceremony will be held! I am extremely excited about this! We will stand at the far right corner, and I will come down the steps!!!!

We are having great luck so far with finding everything. I have seen pictures of the sunset of this lake and it is beautiful! OMG I am so excited!

Also, does anyone have experience with a cricut? I really want to invest in one, but I am not sure if it is a good investment or not. Any advice on that is very welcome!!!!

Congrats!!! It looks awesome! I grew up with a lake, so I love all sights with water.
I think the fireplace will look even more beautiful with candles instead of a real fire!
Already excited to see what you come up with for decorations!!!

Congrats!!! It looks awesome! I grew up with a lake, so I love all sights with water.
I think the fireplace will look even more beautiful with candles instead of a real fire!
Already excited to see what you come up with for decorations!!!

Thanks! My DH and I both grew up on this lake so we are both extremely excited. I think it's safe to say that he may be a little more excited than me, because he hasn't stopped talking about it since we booked it on Sunday!

I found out yesterday that I have a friend that used to be the event coordinator at the venue, and is going to work on getting me a key free of charge the night before so we can do our rehearsal dinner there. I am pretty excited about that! It will save us a lot of money because their fee is $350 for the day before to set up. :sad2:

I have been planning non stop ever since Sunday! I have changed a few ideas, and once I know for sure what we are going to do, I will post an update to the decorations. :hourglass

So, I don't have any hugely exciting news to share today. I just wanted to share some decoration news.

For one, we are re-thinking the lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Instead, we want to get 100 pink and green balloons (50 for each room) and let them float up to the ceiling. I was originally thinking of no streamers on them, but I talked with some friends last night and they suggested having streamers just above height level. This makes the streamers a room filler. Hmm..Ok! The only downside to this plan is the cost of helium. Let's cross our fingers that it doesn't keep going up! :worship:

I still have the lanterns, and since they light up, I am thinking of incorporating them outside for the ceremony. I'm not sure how yet, and ideas are welcome!

We want to have white table cloths with pink and green alternating napkins, plates, cups, and utensils. I really need to decide if this is exactly what I want to do, because some of these items are on sale at party city right now!

We are having a candy bar, only I have NO IDEA what kind of candy to use! Suggestions?

Also, tulle. I love tulle. I have so many plans for it that I don't even know where to begin! I searched pinterest for ideas, and you can make tulle pom pom balls! How awesome!

I also saw where you can cover a balloon with tulle and tie it...It looks awesome!

And, you can't forget the flower girls! They will have matching tulle tutu-like skirts! Pink and green mixed, of course!

And, last night, when I got home, I got a surprise in the mailbox. If you ask me, it's like Oriental Trading just gets me!

That's all for now. I need to study for a precalculus quiz! Thanks for reading!

I love the balloons covered in tulle! I'd never seen that before...

I think the idea of having balloons up near the ceiling with streamers or ribbons (but not too long) will be lovely and fun...Your venue looks awesome...those floors make me want to DANCE!

Maybe you could hang your lanterns in the trees? Or get some of those shepherd's hook plant hangers and hang your lanterns from those?

Brooke

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter