Other Podcast Makes me appreciate the DIS even more

Now the dining review on the other hand, pretty much anyone could do that.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: That's not going to win you a cruise ;)

I debated long and hard on whether to chime in here or not. But, here goes...

first, let me go on record as having been a looong time member of the Disney Internet community - since the early days of RADP. I participate in over a dozen message boards and I download many Disney related podcasts every week (my sales job has me on the road a lot). I've met several webmasters, podcasters and authors. I've attend a number of the special events they sponsor and have a tremendous amount of respect for them all - what they do takes a lot of time and effort.

I enjoy all the podcasts - each has it's own niche. I haven't yet listened to Friday's episode of WDW Today but have heard Bryan Ripper at All About The Mouse say great things about the Dis Unplugged. I know because it surprised me to hear DU mentioned. Only because DU tends to operate separately from everyone else. Many of the other sites and podcasts support each other and participate in events together like MouseFest or Celebration 25.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of Pete and the Crew. But, I certainly think there is room for others. It would upset me greatly to see folks here dumping on Lou, Nathan, Deb, Jim, Tim, Mark, Rickie, John, Adam, Jonathan, Bryan, Matt, Mike, Mike, Len, Mike, Jana, Paul, etc.

Come on, we're better than that. This isn't high school. We can sing the DU's praises without putting down anyone else.

JMHO

Very well said. :thumbsup2 I also listen to several other podcasts and enjoy them all for different reasons. The DIS podcast I enjoy cause it always keeps me laughing ! I don't like to limit myself , I want as much Disney info as I can get ;)

I listen to a few Disney related podcasts. Mouse Planet and Laughing Place along with Dis. I enjoy all. I like the fact that Dis is a long pod cast but I also like the face Mouse Planet is 4-5 times a week. It can be interesting to get different view on the latest Disney news.

I debated long and hard on whether to chime in here or not. But, here goes...

first, let me go on record as having been a looong time member of the Disney Internet community - since the early days of RADP. I participate in over a dozen message boards and I download many Disney related podcasts every week (my sales job has me on the road a lot). I've met several webmasters, podcasters and authors. I've attend a number of the special events they sponsor and have a tremendous amount of respect for them all - what they do takes a lot of time and effort.

I enjoy all the podcasts - each has it's own niche. I haven't yet listened to Friday's episode of WDW Today but have heard Bryan Ripper at All About The Mouse say great things about the Dis Unplugged. I know because it surprised me to hear DU mentioned. Only because DU tends to operate separately from everyone else. Many of the other sites and podcasts support each other and participate in events together like MouseFest or Celebration 25.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of Pete and the Crew. But, I certainly think there is room for others. It would upset me greatly to see folks here dumping on Lou, Nathan, Deb, Jim, Tim, Mark, Rickie, John, Adam, Jonathan, Bryan, Matt, Mike, Mike, Len, Mike, Jana, Paul, etc.

Come on, we're better than that. This isn't high school. We can sing the DU's praises without putting down anyone else.

JMHO
I agree - great post!

Come on, we're better than that. This isn't high school. We can sing the DU's praises without putting down anyone else

I did not see anyone putting down other shows. Some of us only have time or just prefer to listen to one show. Nothing wrong with that either.

I also spend a lot of time in the car. I was thinking about venturing into some other Disney podcasts, but Im not sure I can handle a podcast lacking in snark and sarcasm.

Matt and Van from Netcot were talking about websites they don't care for and they said they didn't like the fact that DIS filters certain websites and is so heavily moderated.

I used to enjoy Netcot, but Van starting making several unnecessary and negative comments about the Dis Unplugged so I just hit unsubscribe - several months ago. Hate to see Matt now joining in that. :confused:

And long enough to host another podcast cruise, right? Maybe one that's not in May? That way your teacher friends can join you??? :rotfl:

Or your friends who are jewelers and florists?? I shouldn't have to fake my own death to go on vacation...:sick:

I've listened to many other podcasts, but this is my fave, in an informative, unbiased, snarky, laugh-and-blow-sweet-tea-out-your-nose kind of way. Makes you feel like you have a bunch of friends over to chat. :grouphug:

I listen to three different podcasts, and I'll have to admit that one of the others is my favorite (the one with the guy that sounds like Bawb!). The DIS podcast IS growing on me, though, and the team scores big points for their unbiased (i.e. not always pro-Disney) reporting. I also appreciate the fine audio quality. I just downloaded this week's show and am looking forward to listening to it during my long commute tomorrow morning.

This is an interesting discussion. I've listened to nearly all of the main Disney podcasts over the last few years. I started out with Inside the Magic and Netcot, and also have enjoyed WDW Today and WDW Radio regularly.

All of these podcasters work really hard in putting out a good product and display a good deal of Disney knowledge. Several of them know tons of random trivia and facts about the parks, which can be fun for Disney fans.

I think your enjoyment of these shows and the DIS Unplugged depends on what you're looking for in a Disney podcast. I enjoyed all those shows, and still catch some here and there, but none connect with me in the same way as the DIS Unplugged. While the others offer good histories of the parks, give detailed news, and focus on helpful tips for current trips, they don't match what I'd like to hear about Disney as much as the DIS.

I'm a Disney junkie and love the history, but what really excites me about the DIS Unplugged is how closely my thoughts about Disney match those of Pete and the entire gang. I love the Disney parks but also recognize when they slip and go in the wrong direction. I've never heard another podcast that does such a good job of mixing news, entertainment, and honesty, which is what I'd like to hear in a podcast. At it's best, the DIS Unplugged is compelling listening and goes far beyond just working as a Disney show. And having such a fun, likable group leads to some very enjoyable discussions.

Sorry to ramble. I do want to make it clear that I think all those podcasts are great, and I'm really glad they exist. A few years ago, I couldn't imagine this discussion would even happen. You can never have too much of a good thing. Because of my personal preferences, the DIS Unplugged is my only "must listen" each week. But I'll catch the others when I have time, and they rarely disappoint.

Well, I have to admit, I have checked out a couple other podcasts. :blush:

ONLY because I have become addicted to this podcast and since they don't do them daily, I needed something

My foray into other podcasts though was pointless. The DIS is the best and now I just listen to repeats rather than the other ones. I could listen to Sad Little Crab over and over....also Kevin's O'Hana review always makes me laugh.

Granted, I am definitely biased, but the DIS Unplugged is by far the most interesting, the most honest, the most informative and the funniest. No one else even comes close.

This was my experience as well. I tried a bunch of the other Disney podcasts just to get me through until the next DIS Unplugged Podcast. Nope. nada. zip. Did nothing for me. It's the Dis Unplugged or nothing for me. Ok, not nothing...I mean, I do use my iPod for other things....:rotfl2:

I used to enjoy Netcot, but Van starting making several unnecessary and negative comments about the Dis Unplugged so I just hit unsubscribe - several months ago. Hate to see Matt now joining in that. :confused:

Well let's be clear here... Van and Matt didn't say anything about the DisUnplugged podcast. But they did call out the moderation of the Disboards in general, which I do find to be warranted. I post hardly at all, but lurk quite a bit. The mods on the Disboards (again, not the Podcast itself) are all too eager to hit the delete button when criticism is offered.

And upthread, someone mentioned how DisUnplugged is the 'black sheep' and seems out of the circle of Disney podcasts. I have to say that I don't see DU hosts taking any initiative on this and trying to extend that circle. Was DU represented at MouseFest, for example? Many of the 'other' podcasts have each other on their shows; it's cross promotion and they mention other podcasts as well. Has the DU crowd ever acknowledged (or allowed us to acknowledge) other podcasts and podcasters? I think the fact that we can't even name other podcasts is ridiculous. Van's and Matt's critique of the Dis -again, not the podcast- needs to be addressed by the mods here. And the fact that we can't even talk about it is worse. Trust me: it's not just the feeling of two renegade podcasters we're talking about. This feeling about the Disboards' moderation is rampant amongst the online Disney community.

I love the DIS. I've listened to a few others and they just haven't caught my attention like the DIS. They just don't seem to have personality like the DIS does. And I don't mean they people on the podcasts don't have personalities, I mean the shows don't. The DIS has it's OWN personality and it comes across, I love to listen to the show and CAN'T wait for Tuesdays. And I don't think that moderation of the boards is a bad thing either. I don't need to come out to the boards and read a bunch of garbage, opinions are fine but rude attitude and argumentativeness is not really needed.

I think the fact that we can't even name other podcasts is ridiculous.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I won't comment on the rest of your post, But I will say something about this. You can name all the podcasts you want...on the Community board where it belongs! This is the Dis Unplugged board. A place to discuss THE DIS Unplugged. :hippie:

BTW great first post.;)

I agree with cocowum. The Webmasters and mods have made the rules of this board very clear. They allow the discussion of the other podcasts elsewhere, but have stated very clearly that this board is for the discussion of the DisUnplugged podcast, and NOT the others.
While we welcome comments and discussions about our show, we ask that all topics posted here remain specific to the DIS Unplugged.

Thanks for joining us, and enjoy the show!

Pete Werner
Vent elsewhere, Mr. Mouse.

Well let's be clear here... Van and Matt didn't say anything about the DisUnplugged podcast. But they did call out the moderation of the Disboards in general, which I do find to be warranted. I post hardly at all, but lurk quite a bit. The mods on the Disboards (again, not the Podcast itself) are all too eager to hit the delete button when criticism is offered.

I was not relating to what the OP had mentioned. I listened to that Podcast and didn't even notice it - so apparently it was a non-issue to me. BUT . . . several months back Van made several comments (on his own personal podcast that he does a great job of producing) about a certain podcast soliciting for votes for Best Travel Show (or whatever it's called) and how that disgusted him and he would never do that. He was talking about the DisUnplugged who I thought was just having fun with the voting. I listen to several podcasts and truly didn't understand why Van made that potshot and "unsubscribed" to his show at that time. I'm sure he's a great guy . . . I just didn't appreciate it . . . for any of them.

Personally, I find listening some of the other podcasts PAINFUL! They are a mess!!

I will listen to other podcast once in a while... 2 other ones... But they kind of annoy me because i'll hear them buy up high dollar disney collectibles that they just have to have every other podcast, but then ask for your donations every show to keep the show running. Please, its a podcast! Then you have the second banana of the show asking for donations so they can go to WDW so they can "bring us" new info.

Also, some of them are just too mushy with their delivery. Great production value, but stuff I could care less about. And boy do I hate it when they feel the need to have a "radio voice."

But, having choices are always a good thing. Keeps every other podcast creating new ideas.

Well let's be clear here... Van and Matt didn't say anything about the DisUnplugged podcast. But they did call out the moderation of the Disboards in general, which I do find to be warranted. (1)I post hardly at all, but lurk quite a bit. The mods on the Disboards (again, not the Podcast itself) are all too eager to (1)hit the delete button when criticism is offered.

Many of the 'other' podcasts have each other on their shows; it's cross promotion and they mention other podcasts as well. Has the DU crowd ever acknowledged (or (2)allowed us to acknowledge) other podcasts and podcasters? I think the fact that we can't even name other podcasts is ridiculous. Van's and Matt's critique of the Dis -again, not the podcast- needs to be addressed by the mods here. And the fact that we can't even talk about it is worse. Trust me: it's not just the feeling of two renegade podcasters we're talking about. (3)This feeling about the Disboards' moderation is rampant amongst the online Disney community.
  1. Post not at all you mean...as of this posting, "1" post is all I see. The TRUTH is that many posts relating to other sites and/or podcasts go undeleted. I can link to many examples. Pete has REQUESTED that, as a matter of politeness and good taste, we refrain from promoting other podcasts/sites in the PODCAST FORUM.
  2. You may say whatever you like about other podcasts. But this FORUM on these BOARDS is specific to the DIS Unplugged Podcast...As Pete has said several times...to those who care to read...see #1...
  3. So the "Disney Community" is one of rampant ill feeling? I think not. What Would Walt Say? :teeth: I'll tell you what's rampant among the "Disney Community." As one who listens to *all* the major Disney podcasts, I see more integrity and less self-promotion here than anywhere else. AND--this is America. Pete owns these boards and can set up whatever rules he sees fit. His "rules" are quite reasonable. If you don't like it, feel free to frequent other arenas and TROLL elsewhere.

Funny how this pops up just as Pete leaves town... Things that make you go "Hmmmm..." ;)

I will strive to be as nice as cocowum...

I loved hte Podcast this week, it was interesting and I loved the stroller talk, since it really hits home for us. Thanks for another great show!
Lesley

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter