Other Podcast Makes me appreciate the DIS even more

I agree with cocowum. The Webmasters and mods have made the rules of this board very clear. They allow the discussion of the other podcasts elsewhere, but have stated very clearly that this board is for the discussion of the DisUnplugged podcast, and NOT the others.
Vent elsewhere, Mr. Mouse.

:worship: Thank you Mindy! It just makes my head hurt.....really what is the point? (Mr. Mouse with a post of 1)

The team will give props to the other podcasts, they do theirs and they are successful, they make a living, if they do not want to do mousefest or anything else they don't have too.....I personally like the personal touch they Dis does. I am bias I am busy, I only do the Dis boards, I have looked but didn't like, I am to busy.

It is a lot of time, effort and $ to do those things, if they have food on their table, clothes on their backs and do not have to then why should they? You usually do those things to drum up business......

Sounds to me like they are doing pretty good, and do not need to advertise or do anything else.

I said it I am bias -I have time to do a few things I really like to do and I pick them carefully, the Dis is my mommy guilty pleasure....I listened to a few others awhile back but I didn't find them worth my time, I just didn't like them. If I am going to make time to do something, it better be good and what I want to do. The team hits me in the heart and I look forward to it.

:flower3: to the team....

1. Post not at all you mean...as of this posting, "1" post is all I see. The TRUTH is that many posts relating to other sites and/or podcasts go undeleted. I can link to many examples. Pete has REQUESTED that, as a matter of politeness and good taste, we refrain from promoting other podcasts/sites in the PODCAST FORUM.
  2. You may say whatever you like about other podcasts. But this FORUM on these BOARDS is specific to the DIS Unplugged Podcast...As Pete has said several times...to those who care to read...see #1...
  3. So the "Disney Community" is one of rampant ill feeling? I think not. What Would Walt Say? :teeth: I'll tell you what's rampant among the "Disney Community." As one who listens to *all* the major Disney podcasts, I see more integrity and less self-promotion here than anywhere else. AND--this is America. Pete owns these boards and can set up whatever rules he sees fit. His "rules" are quite reasonable. If you don't like it, feel free to frequent other arenas and TROLL elsewhere.

Funny how this pops up just as Pete leaves town... Things that make you go "Hmmmm..." ;)

I will strive to be as nice as cocowum...

Well, I have two posts now. Everyone happy?

To reply to you, Jason:

1. Yes, I hadn't posted before, but certainly have been a member of the boards for two years longer than you. I've been around and know how things work. Just because I haven't added to the conversation doesn't mean I haven't seen things on the board that trouble me. And shouldn't we bring things up when they trouble us? This "Pete owns the board, so shut up" attitude really just deflects the issue. And I hardly think that 2 critical posts constitutes trolling. Again, an ad hominem attack that only deflects the issue.
2. I agree that the DisUnplugged board should not be used to discuss what happens on other podcasts. But to essentially ignore their existence by not being able to name them? I think what many have said above is true: most of us listen to a number of Disney-related podcasts. There's room for so many. No other podcast has the focus that DU has. But it does have issue/discussions/focus that aren't addressed. Other podcasts fill in that gap.
3. If you were members of other Disney-fan boards (and I doubt many of you are), you would realize the Dis, along with Intercot, is hardly respected. Perhaps that doesn't bother those of you that only post on this site. But some of us do post other places and it does bother us. If I were a member of a community, I'd want us to have a welcoming attitude and be respected in the community. I think the way my 1 post count has been treated is unfortunately evidence of the feelings of many members of this board.
4. Pete being out of town certainly is not an issue. I look forward to him addressing this pervasive attitude of exclusivity and unwelcomeness that has been expressed in this thread. Pete (at least to me) seems to be an open and welcoming person. Should I rant elsewhere (as was suggested above)? Yes, perhaps, but this thread is what brought it out and so I put it here. If the mods want move it or delete (I really don't have much optimism in this regard), so be it.

Have a magical day! :wave2:

I listen to 4 podcasts: disunplugged, wdwtoday, netcot, and wdwradio. I enjoy them all, all for different reasons. For the same reason that I don't buy into the "everything is perfect at Disney” philosophy, all Disney podcasts (at least the ones I’ve listened to) have their strengths and weaknesses. Yes, even disunplugged.
Those are the main 4 I listen to, also. Each has its own characteristics that reflect the personality of the person(s) recording the podcast.

I think the most unique characteristic is the interaction and warmth between the members of the DIS podcast crew, one technical and one non-technical reason. The non-technical: I think everyone on the podcast genuinely like and respect each other. The technical: they are all in the same room when they record. On some other podcasts, one or more members is remote, and the interaction between members sometimes seems cold because of lack of inflection, timing, facial expression and body language.

Pete has given me the opportunity to tell others about my podcast over the past month, and I appreciate it greatly. He has even gone out of this way to offer suggestions to make our show even better.

It is true that we are not DU, but we are not trying to be. DU has been around for a long time and has a lot more resources available to it; we just try to convey the passion shared by so many in the Disney Community of our love for WDW! I'm glad that we have the support of so many DISers!

Thanks,
Mike

Pete has given me the opportunity to tell others about my podcast over the past month, and I appreciate it greatly. He has even gone out of this way to offer suggestions to make our show even better.

It is true that we are not DU, but we are not trying to be. DU has been around for a long time and has a lot more resources available to it; we just try to convey the passion shared by so many in the Disney Community of our love for WDW! I'm glad that we have the support of so many DISers!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, that's the way it should be and I'm glad Pete realizes that! I'm sure it's just that some of the members of this board are trying to support/defend/protect him which, although admirable, certainly is not necessary. DU is a great podcast; there's no need for board members to go all postal over someone trying to make suggestions or acknowledge they listen to other 'casts. I'm going to try to remember to ignore the Disboard fanboys (you know who you are).

Nothing would please me more than to see the DU crew be full members of the Disney podcast community and the Disboards shed its reputation with other online communities. I hope that what you've mentioned above, Mike, is an indication of the start of that. As I've stated above, I think the issue of board moderation is a major part of that reconciliation, but (as has been pointed out, not so nicely), that's perhaps a topic for another space.

I thought about listening to other podcasts, but decided not to, based on the content of their "home" sites. I simply prefer the DIS, so why mess with a good thing.

As a side note, I don't think I've ever heard (or read) someone use the term "ad hominem" before - & I read a heck of a lot. I find it curious that someone on this thread used it, & another user on another thread ALSO used it today ! Curious. :rolleyes:

Well, I have two posts now. Everyone happy?

To reply to you, Jason:

1. Yes, I hadn't posted before, but certainly have been a member of the boards for two years longer than you. I've been around and know how things work. Just because I haven't added to the conversation doesn't mean I haven't seen things on the board that trouble me. And shouldn't we bring things up when they trouble us? This "Pete owns the board, so [edited]" attitude really just deflects the issue. And I hardly think that 2 critical posts constitutes trolling. Again, an ad hominem attack that only deflects the issue.
2. I agree that the DisUnplugged board should not be used to discuss what happens on other podcasts. But to essentially ignore their existence by not being able to name them? I think what many have said above is true: most of us listen to a number of Disney-related podcasts. There's room for so many. No other podcast has the focus that DU has. But it does have issue/discussions/focus that aren't addressed. Other podcasts fill in that gap.
3. If you were members of other Disney-fan boards (and I doubt many of you are), you would realize the Dis, along with Intercot, is hardly respected. Perhaps that doesn't bother those of you that only post on this site. But some of us do post other places and it does bother us. If I were a member of a community, I'd want us to have a welcoming attitude and be respected in the community. I think the way my 1 post count has been treated is unfortunately evidence of the feelings of many members of this board.
4. Pete being out of town certainly is not an issue. I look forward to him addressing this pervasive attitude of exclusivity and unwelcomeness that has been expressed in this thread. Pete (at least to me) seems to be an open and welcoming person. Should I rant elsewhere (as was suggested above)? Yes, perhaps, but this thread is what brought it out and so I put it here. If the mods want move it or delete (I really don't have much optimism in this regard), so be it.

Have a magical day! :wave2:

How unfortunate that after so much time on the DIS your first posts basically bash this site & podcast. It pretty much sounds like sour grapes on your part (sorry), and loses credibility with me at least.

I have been on other sites, and enjoy reading them, but in the past when I had another Disney site as well as my own site linked in my signature, I was quickly asked to remove the links. This happened on Paul & Ada's site, and also happened on another Disney site. I quickly understood that it really isn't very polite to go on a Disney forum and start promoting/talking about another site. It's kind of uncool, really. Of course, it is easy to come up in conversation but there is a big difference, I think, to talk about a different site, and to push it. From what I've seen, the DIS does not discourage talking about other sites. I can only imagine that any website that is ******* out it is because they overstepped the bounds of courtesy while visiting here.

So, when I'm on the DIS, I respect the DIS. When I'm on another site, I respect the other site. (Pretty easy to do. :) )

And as far as DIS Unplugged. It isn't the only podcast I listen to, but it is definitely my favorite. I love to listen to it, especially on plane trips or in my car.

Thanks DU team for all the hard work. :thumbsup2

I am pretty new to Podcasting in general and just started looking for Disney Podcasts in about February. I had listened to about 4 before finding DU and immediately knew it was different before I could really even pinpoint why. The first thing that jumped out was that they don't just buy the "company line" which is nice.

That being said I do have about 3 other Disney Podcasts I listen to but none of them come close to DU. The ones I listen to do have good information and I enjoy them but if someone made me pick just one podcast this would be it.

I also have to add that as far as a community goes this one is the best. As you can tell from my paltry post count I just started participating but look forward to chiming in more often with unsolicited and possibly unwanted opinions from time to time :goodvibes.

I'm going to stay out of the flame-throwing, but...

...it's hard to criticize someone - in this particular thread - for mentioning other podcasts by name when the first two words of the original post are "Other Podcasts..." !!!

I understand and appreciate Pete's request (i.e. no mention of other podcasts), but this thread invites the mentions, doesn't it?

P.S. The DIS podcast has really grown on me...so much so that I'll be listening to this past week's show on my flight down to WDW tomorrow night!

My situation was the opposite. I was a fan of another podcast and decided to listen to the DIS and I turned it off because I found it was boring..

I dont remember what happened one day, but I decided to give it another try and lo and behold, I found it to be AWESOME!!!! I don't know if it was the crack addiction the first time...KIDDING KIDDING!!

I have belonged to other Disney communities and found them to be either unfriendly places or with so many cliques that is was hard to join in a discussion. I'm new to these boards but have not found that to be the case nor have I found the moderators to over moderate here and one can usually tell pretty quickly.

Now regarding the podcasts, I listen to 3 other Disney podcasts regularly (WDWToday, WDWRadioshow and Inside the Magic) all are different and fullfill a different aspect to my Disney obsession. I started listening to DU about a year ago and it quickly became my favorite for many of the reasons that others have already stated: the honesty, the humour, the comraderie among the hosts, the expertise. They all put a lot of hard work into this and it really shows.

I also wanted to comment that I have heard Pete mention other podcasts on his show and he has always done so with the utmost respect. I've never heard any of DU crew bad mouth or bash anyone. Last year when the DU was up for a podcast award, I remember Pete graciously congratulating the winner and complimenting him (I think the winner was Lou Mongello?) on the quality of his show. It was also mentioned that Pete was trying to drum up votes, well that may be but so was everyone else that was nominated and some really banged on and on about that. Pete's request was very respectful and understated.

Someone else also mentioned (forgive me for not quoting those folks directly) how annoying it was to have podcasters ask for donations so they can go to WDW and bring us back info. I couldn't agree more with that!! I really respect Pete for not asking for donations or selling his travel videos (as some do) and for not accepting advertising on the show. The DU is really a first class act!

I have been a member of the DIS for many years. But, this is not my first Disney site. I started on another one, and I found this one by a post that was mentioned on that website. Now I liked the other website, but I found this one to be more complete. So, I switched to here. The reason I don't go anywhere else, because the DIS offers me everything I could possibly need. Between this message board/information site and another informational site, I can find what I am looking for.

Same goes for the podcasts. I enjoy the DU. I love the cast and I love how well they get along and can interact without "acting". I love that there are from Florida, because it's all very close to them, and they have the willingness to go to the parks as much as they do and get us the information we need. I think that because they live in Florida, they're a little more married to Disney and the honeymoon is over.

I do listen to other podcasts if I run out of DU. I'm listening to some of the older DU episodes that I missed. I am really enjoying those, but I will listen to others. But, I enjoy the DU the most, and I am a faithful follower. To those who don't enjoy the style, they can find another one. I think it's amazing that there are so many people out there who have a passion for Disney and want to share it with others. They've all created what was their vision. We've got to respect that.

I can't speak for all the podcasters but I know that the guys from WDW Today post here often and before having allears as their sponsor would mention the Dis boards often.

I agree that there is enough room in the Disney Community to support the various podcasts that are out there. Some are better at different aspects than others. For example, on our show, we just try to have fun and remember the good times that we have had at WDW! We look at trips as a chance to "relive the magic" and share some advice that might help someone who is going down in the future. We don't really do news or rumors, as that is covered very well by other shows!

I think we all have our little niche, and it makes for more variety in the community!

(And without the DIS, we wouldn't have NEAR the listeners that we have!!)

Mike

I too have listened to other Podcasts, and find it more "Different Strokes for Different Folks." I appreciate the candor and no holds barred conversation about my favorite place. Cause quite honestly, I see many of these same things when I go there. And I know that the more and more people discuss them and not "swallow the company line" the more things will be fixed and the problems right themselves.

I think it takes some real skill and a lot of luck to get this kind of chemistry in a podcast. There is banter, there is criticism of the resort itself, but also a near and dear respect at the same time. It's like they ask on behalf of us all for Disney to meet and deliver not only all of our expectations but also what Disney has promised from decades of enterprise and guest services.

There was a statistic not so long ago that said "Guests put more expectation on their attendance at a Disney theme park, than really anything else they experience."

I have tried to find this in other Podcasts while I am out and about on the web, to fill my time, and also help with reasearch, but I gotta tell you they just can't compete at least in this house.

all i can say is pete and the gang keep doing what you do. i love the honesty and not the sugar coated stuff.... but one thing that another podcast has is they get top stories first like the gf dvc and ploy dvc info ...come on guys i want to hear about this...and your opinion..

A few years ago (before DU existed), a guest on another WDW podcast made a joke I found nothing short of reprehensible. I wrote them a well-worded e-mail explaining my objection, and they responded "Maybe you didn't realize, it was a joke."
On the other hand, Pete and the gang will and have apologized if they get feedback that they're offending people, which says something to me about their character.

Haven't read all the replies, but I have another excellent example of why our Podcasters are so GREAT!

Like many others, I *occasionally* tune into one other unnamed podcast when I need an extra podcast fix. Given the Stroller Gate controversy, I was chomping at the bit for another take on this so decided to check out the other podcast this week.

Well, imagine my complete horror and disgust when the price change was simply announced as if there was nothing at all wrong with this type of increase. He might as well have been announcing that the price increased from $18 to 19; there was no surprise or disgust, no comment about it and no change in tone of voice. In fact, I had to replay that part as I thought I heard it wrong.

I am sorry - I did love this guy's Disney Marathon coverage, but my respect for him just went completely out the window this week!

Dis Unplugged is by far my favorite Disney podcast. I have heard some others- I need my fix, not only of Disney, but of podcasts. I like to listen to podcasts as I work on the computer, and during my commute as well. So I do have a basis for comparison- but really, there is no competition as far as I am concerned.

I love that this podcast is so long! It never feels long; I always feel a pang of disappointment when it ends. I enjoy the camaraderie, the range of personalities, the humor, the honesty, the depth and breadth of information, the different voices, and even the introductory theme music. So, thanks to those who work on the podcast for making my week better every time I listen.

I listen to Dis Unplugged and three others (WDWToday, WDWRadio, Netcot) and as several other posters have said, each has its own style and merits. I enjoy them all.

A couple of the posts above did pique my curiosity though...why don't Pete and the Dis Unplugged team do events like MouseFest? Obviously, it's their prerogative, and maybe the answer "we just don't want to," which is fine...but to someone who's relatively new to the Disney online/podcasting community (just under a year) it does seem like there's a Disney online community and then there's the DIS. Why the disconnect? (Message board moderation policies can't be the whole story).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter