OT: Restroom Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
SueM in MN said:
[*]Sometimes people without physical disabilities need to use the handicapped stall because of the extra space or need to assist someone else.
[*]Sometimes people have invisible disabilities that make handicapped stall the one they need because of the features of that stall; examples, such as grab bars; or extra space or sink (in some stalls) for someone with a colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy, or the changing table (for those handicapped stalls where that's where it is).

Two great ones worth repeating. Thank you so much SueM in MN for an excellent list!

SueM in MN said:
That made me think of something at the hospital where I work.

Hospitals are the worst for cluttering up handicap bathrooms.

Example 1: I visit a hospital outpatients for tests. I need to use the bathroom. I open the door, but can't get in because it is filled with two huge trolleys filled with bed linens.

Example 2: I am visiting my wife in hospital. I need to use the bathroom. The bathroom is magnificent, with a huge bath with hoist, a toilet with raised seat and grab rails. But it is also being used to store three walking frames, two wheelchairs and two or three commode chairs. I can just about get inside in my wheelchair but I can't turn round or close the door behind me. I complain to a nurse to be told that 'the bathrooms are for patients, not visitors'. The only visitor toilet is in outpatients, four floors down, at the other end of the hospital!!

Andrew

Andrew Bichard said:
Hospitals are the worst for cluttering up handicap bathrooms.
I won't disagree with you there. The typical hospital is so short on storage space that they use any tiny bit of space they can find, even if it's already in use for some other purpose.

Hello all . . . we are back . . . we escaped to Baton Rouge because of Hurricane Dennis . . .

Just wanted to share a little information for anyone traveling on I-10 west to Louisiana.

Stay away from the restareas if you are looking for a HA stall. The only one we were able to find had a door that open inward. It took about 10 trys before we could figure it out. We wound up getting my MIL as far in as possible, then standing up using the handrail, then moving the chair to close the door, then being able to use the bathroom.

Also, something else I found out about the LA restareas . . . they are in the process of closing them down . . . I thought the restareas in MS were bad, but the ones in LA have gotten worse!

Here's to hoping T.S. Emily doesn't come to Pensacola . . . (I'm really getting tired of all of these Hurricanes!)

Also, I didn't mean to start such a heated debate over this topic . . . I just wanted to get something off of my chest about the rudeness of some people.

Talking Hands, I understand fully your frustration with the restroom, my MIL was unable to transfer to a regular toliet, during our evac . . . and we had a mild accident. We have tried several visualization ideas for MIL to avoid accidents, but the only thing that works for us is going to the restroom every hour, for those just in case moments.

Thanks again folks!

What if there are three stalls, the two non-HA are occupied and the HA is not? Is it then wrong for an able bodied person to (quickly) use the HA stall? In that case, I think there's nothing wrong with it. Of course if you know you will be awhile, then of course waiting for one of the other stalls would be the right thing to do. But if you just need to do a quick potty stop, why would you wait for a NA stall to open? The ADA is written so disabled peple have equal access. It's not written so there is always immediately a stall available.

The woman in the OP's post was an ignorant jerk. But condemning anyone who uses a HA stall when they are not disabled is reverse discrimination. Of course and able bodied person should always use the NA stalls first, but if they are all full, I see no harm in using the available HA stall.

I'd also like to point out that a good friend of mine has an ileostomy. She looks completely "normal". She also uses the HA stalls when they have their own sink to use when she needs to empty her pouch, it's much easier for her to have access to a private sink to wash up after emptying and more room to manuever in the stall. I thinks he has every right to be there. But if you saw her coming in or out and didn't know about her condition, you'd think she was just any other able bodied person using a HA stall. Sometimes disabilities are hidden.

Anne

Andrew Bichard said:
"Companion" restrooms are also necessary where the disabled person and their helper are opposites sexes (ie husband and wife) and cannot go into either the mens or ladies restroom together.

If I had the power to ammend parts of the ADA, I would make it a requirement that a percentage of stalls in every restroom be handicap accessible subject say to a minimum of two, except where only a single stall is provided. That way, at least one HA stall would become free fairly quickly and there would be fewer arguments about the use of these stalls.

As an alternative, the UK system of locked HA toilets with a pass key issued to all disabled persons should be introduced in the USA.

Andrew

Wish there were more "companion restrooms". DS is 7. I still have to take him to the restroom if a male isn't with us. We are starting to get dirty looks. I expect I will be taking him in there with me for a few years to come.
If HA stall is the only available and no one disabled is waiting, I (or we) use it, but hurry. We typically use the regular stalls. Let me tell you, it is a tight squeeze, esp. if the door swings inward :rotfl: Esp, if the door doesn't lock, DS loves to expose me to the world (I make him stand with his back to me when I have to go).
Not often do I see someone in a wheelchair in the restroom. On a rare occassion, though, I made a big deal about her getting ahead of me in line and those ahead got the hint, but maybe would have done so anyway.
To the OP--some people in the world just baffle. If she behaved like that to you, she is probably a very bitter miserable person. The manager, however, was awesome! Have you thought of going online to find the chain's website and sending an email about his kindness and compassion?

mlwear-thanks for the post and reminder about children too. My DS is 8 and has Asperger Syndrome. If there is any way to avoid it I do not bring him in a women's restroom with me but when I have to, I have to. There are very few circumstances that I would allow him to use a public men's restroom with no familiar adult to accompany him so he does, too, occasionally use a a women's restroom when I/he needs to go.

We use the regular stalls too, I get him in one and use the one next to him, or if there is a line, I make him turn around, etc... Many times people have made comments or rude remarks and it is something you just need to roll off your back. Too many people make snap judgements about others without knowing the circumstances. For heaven's sake, I would love to just be able to let him go use the men's room and not take him in the women's with me, but it is just not something we can do all the time.

Op-I'm glad you posted this, I mentioned it a couple of times to people who don't normally visit the disABILITIES board and they said it was very informative and will make them think twice before using a HA stall unless it is the only one left to use.

MLWear . . . I have sent a thank you note directly to the local chain and I also sent a letter to the chains headquarters thanking them for having such a knowledgable staff on ADA and such a kind and caring management.

I told them that I really appreciated the way the manager stepped up and helped in our time of need and that he handled everything in such a calm manner when he was being yelled at and that the lady was trying to belittle him.

I now look at things in a different light, since my MIL had her stroke. Yesterday we were at the home depot getting more plywood when I say able bodied teens park in a HA spot because it was close. The thing that bugged me was the comment that the teen made "Yeah, since grams got the HA plate, I get all the close spots when she's not with me". I kindly explained that the spot was for his "grams" use or anyone else that has a disability so they won't have to walk a long distance to the store. He just laughed and continued into the store.

I just couldn't get over his comments . . . but like I said earlier, for each rude person we meet, there are 50 wonderful people that make us forget about the rudeness of one.

goudaman40 said:
MLWear . . . I have sent a thank you note directly to the local chain and I also sent a letter to the chains headquarters thanking them for having such a knowledgable staff on ADA and such a kind and caring management.

I told them that I really appreciated the way the manager stepped up and helped in our time of need and that he handled everything in such a calm manner when he was being yelled at and that the lady was trying to belittle him.

I now look at things in a different light, since my MIL had her stroke. Yesterday we were at the home depot getting more plywood when I say able bodied teens park in a HA spot because it was close. The thing that bugged me was the comment that the teen made "Yeah, since grams got the HA plate, I get all the close spots when she's not with me". I kindly explained that the spot was for his "grams" use or anyone else that has a disability so they won't have to walk a long distance to the store. He just laughed and continued into the store.

I just couldn't get over his comments . . . but like I said earlier, for each rude person we meet, there are 50 wonderful people that make us forget about the rudeness of one.

That's wonderful that you took the time to do that. I think it is sometimes that sort of thing that helps us (the disabled community) the most.

The ignorant comments bother me. I would never wish anything unfortunate on anyone, but I can't help but wonder if someday they will have a life experience that will make them regret that they ever behaved like that. (I guess with autism I focus more on this idea. With the rapid increase, eventually nearly everyone will have a child, grandchild, nephew, cousin,whoever that is diagnosed. It changes your whole perspective.--Off my soap box now)

welovedis said:
mlwear-thanks for the post and reminder about children too. My DS is 8 and has Asperger Syndrome.
Ok I must ask. What is it about Asperger syndrome that keeps your son from using a public restroom alone?

Please hear me out before you flame me! :flower: I have used the HA stalls before when others are full, right after another has come out. I have also used them others are empty because of the extra room. No, thankfully I do NEED to use them and my boys are well boys so they do not come in any longer as they are 11 and 13.
BUT now after reading I believe the last post on page 1 I will "consider them the same as a parking spot". :moped:
I have just always "figured" they were for anyone's use :confused3 like any of the other stalls.
Thanks to this thread I see how I should just wait that few extra seconds. :wizard:

:cheer2:

LindsayDunn228 said:
Ok I must ask. What is it about Asperger syndrome that keeps your son from using a public restroom alone?

welovedis may be better to respond, but I'll give you my take. My son, however, does not have Aspergers, he has high-functioning (somewhere between moderate and high-functioning) classic autism. I cannot send him to the restroom alone for a few reasons (I'll go from mild to severe): he may decide to play around in there and not come out. The echo is wonderful. I have sent him before when I thought it was safe and had to be sure it was clear to get him out myself. Another time I had to ask a man to go in and get him out. He may decide to play in the water--this could be sink water or toilet water (I hate to be so disguisting, but that is the reality of it). He sometimes explores new things by licking them--I think you get the picture and won't go any further down that path. The worst is that my son fears no stangers and would likely comply with any pervert. My son also has issues of liking to "explore himself" and expose himself to others (one time while shopping at Barnes and Noble, I dared to look at book for a moment and turned around to find him completely nude. Funny now, not then.) Even if I am standing guard at the door, I don't know what is going on in there and I just don't trust this world we live in. Those are the main reasons that he needs to be supervised in a public restroom. Not all autistic children are like my son. They are all different, so welovedis could have other reasons.

Hi Lindsay-
My DS is on the high-functioning end of the AS spectrum too and can handle the physical aspects of toileting himself. Unfortunately, however, he does as the other poster mentioned and will play in the water until removed or instructed not to repeatedly. Meaning the water in the sink, the toilet or even water on the floor.

He also has issues with strangers, sometimes far too friendly and will "stare" at everyone or goes to the other extreme and will back away into the corner until the restroom is empty (which rarely happens in a busy place). The few times we have attempted to let him use a men's room by himself (in our small church, in a very small dept store) we have either had to have a male employee go in and retrieve him or I've had to get permission to go in and get him myself. He just doesn't follow thru with directions when it comes to the bathroom even at home, it is a source of constant work and redirection with him.

If an adult is with him, he will usually behave, do what needs to be done and move on, but alone he will go off into his "own world" and I cannot fathom leaving him to do that in a busy restroom.

Hope this helps explain that a bit better! :)

My High Functioning Autistic son also loves water! But also fears the automatic toilets to the point of jumping off mid-business when they unexpectedly go off.

Again, I think it is wonderful to talk about these differences on a public board so we can expose others to different handicaps. Just because a person is not in a wheelchair, doesn't mean that they aren't in need of special services.

What about a severe claustrophobic? Do you think they should be allowed to use a handicap accessible bathroom? I sure do! They are bigger and give the person some sense of space.

We can all learn about different types of disabilities. Thank you to the OP for starting this thread.

Talking Hands said:
Yes I did say I was in a *****y mood but that doesn't change the fact that I wasn't going to wet myself for anyone. To get in the stall that was available meant blocking the entrance to the handicapped stall. It happens. You weren't there. I do not appreciate your personal attack on me one bit. GET OFF MY CASE!

I'm just wondering if you would have handled the situation the same way had the woman or her children had a visable disability?

Wow! I only use the HC stall when all the others are taken, and if someone knocked and needed to use it, I'd hurry up and finish so they could have it!

Some people are just :crazy:

goudaman40 said:
Hello all,

I just had to get this off of my chest and also to see if anyone else has experienced the same things as I have.

This past week, my husband, myself, and my MIL went to a national chain restaurant for a late lunch. The meal was great, service was great, and it was an overall wonderful time. Well, while hubby was waiting on the bill, I took MIL to the restroom (for the just in case).

We get to the restroom to find two regular stalls empty, but the HA was occupied. (There are a total of 3 stalls). I polietly knock on the door and see if anyone is in there; we have been to some restrooms, where children will play in the HA and lock the door and crawl out from underneath).
Anyway, the lady in the stall says :I'm taking a @#$%, it will be a while, can't you use another stall? :sad2: I explain, that the HA stall is the only one that will accomodate us, and no, we can't use another stall. She pipes back "Well, it's not my fault you have to use this toliet . . . get over it and use the other ones . . . I was here first!"

At this time, my MIL is getting upset, and on the verge of not being able to hold any longer . . . I go to the manager and explain the situation (quickly) and he checks the men's restroom . . . gives us the all clear and let's us use the HA toliet in the mens restroom. The manager had an employee outside "guarding" and a close sign, until MIL and I finished.

Well, we come out and find the "woman" talking with the manager, giving him an earfull about how a "rude woman, in a wheelchair . . . demanded that she come out of the toliet. She also went into a rant about how this was America and she had the right to use any @$@%$ toliet that she wanted and that it wasn't her fault that my MIL was in a chair and that she (MIL) should suck it up and get over it and use the other toliets that were there!"

The manager polietly listened and told said woman that she needed to do a little research into ADA before she goes on with her rant about her "right" to use any toliet. The manager then came to us and apologized for this ladies behavior and offered to pay our tab. MIL, hubby, and I polietly refused his offer and explained that he did more than enough by allowing us to use the men's restroom and taking up for MIL.

Thanks for letting me vent . . .

That is terrible!!!! :sad2:

One thing I will say is that I am often FORCED to use the HA stall since many (I'd say around half) places put the baby changing station INSIDE the HA stall!!!!!!! :confused3 Only one time has this presented a problem...we went in a HA stall (myself, my mother, and my son who was 6 months at the time) to change him and when we came out there was a lady in a wheelchair waiting very quietly outside. We weren't in there long and I hope she wasn't upset (didn't seem to be), but we kinda didn't have a choice. :guilty:

LindsayDunn228 said:

Not the person you are addressing, but my baby brother has AS and in his case it is definitely accompanied by an extreme lack of social judgment. I don't think he would have been safe alone in any restroom when he was very young. He would have been easy "prey" for a sick individual. He also might have done something very inappropriate while in there and not realized it. :earseek:

Like others have said, in a lot of places the changing table is in the HC stall. Plus if I'm alone with one or two of my children in a stroller I don't have much of choice. Should I leave them in the stroller alone while I go in a stall? I think not

Having a wheelchair is not the only reason to use a handicap stall. So watch your perceptions that "ablebodied" people are using them. I had several surgeries to correct a tendon problem in my ankle. After a series of casts were removed, the work began. One of the TOUHGHEST things I had to do was to sit down on a low toilet to pee. Put me to tears. So the cast was gone, the crutches were gone, and all's you saw was a 40 year old women going into the stall - I would have appeared "able bodied". But the high seat was a lifesaver. Damn straight I had a right to use it. Does the person in a wheelchair deserve that stall more than me? Nope. The wheelchair person not getting the stall might mean incontinence. Me not getting the seat might have meant more surgery.

Also - about the kids comments - the theaters in my area ALL have combo handicapped/babychanging stalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter