OT Attachement Parenting

The deal w/ breastmilk on planes just changed days ago.

It used to be that if you did not have the child with you, you could not carry more milk than would fit in your 3-1-1 baggie, which for working moms travelling on business meant that you either had to dump the excess milk or have it packed hard-frozen to ship home in checked baggage. IMO, this was the absolute most moronic of the TSA rules.

Now you can carry packaged breastmilk in whatever quantity you have whether the child is present or not, but it must be labeled as human milk, and declared at the checkpoint (which essentially means presented in a separate container. If it's labeled, you don't have to state out loud that it is human milk.)

Note that the info on breastmilk in the TSA website's "Traveling with Children" page is now (as of August 4th, 2007) WRONG!!! Typically for the Feds, they haven't got around to changing it yet, though the rule change was effective today. The correct info is on the press release page, way down at the bottom: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm#milk

We did this naturally before we knew it had a name! I just knew everyone gave us a hard time for having our kids sleep with us. I tried to explain that only in the Western world is this a big deal, but the only culture most of them knew WAS the Western world, so that didn't really fly.

We rarely go anywhere without our kids. If something is an adult only event, we just don't go.

Dawn

Were we separated at birth??? You sound exactly like me. EVERYONE kept telling me something was wrong with me for letting DD co-sleep & BF til 2 yrs. Like you said, we never go anywhere that our children aren't with us and as far as a healthy marriage goes (ie. alone time with DH) he loves life this way too!!! It fits US.

It was by pure accident that I stumbled accross a website dedicated to attatchment parenting. I found out I wasn't alone and it somehow empowered me as a parent :).

So count me in too!:yay:

non chemical sunscreen (like California baby. Its expensive, but it has no chemicals so its ok to use on the wee ones. Regular sunscreen says ask dr before using it on babies. I still use it on my older ones. Its worth it in my opinion, anyways)

We love Cali Baby sunscreen, too. I'm not positive, but I think we may have gotten it at Target. (I love that they're carrying more natural items now!)
It might even be on sale now that it's nearing the end of the summer :thumbsup2

I didn't know Target had the sunscreen! Cool!

I too am excited that they are carrying more natural stuff, but I also feel I need to remain loyal to our natural co-op too.

That being said, I've gotten really good deals on California Baby stuff at myvitanet dot com. (I still get most of my stuff at our co-op though!)

:)

Still reading along...

Thanks for the sunscreen info! I've been avoiding putting sunscreen on my DS, because, really, he's always chewing on himself, and I thought that was just too gross to sunscreen him up. I'll have to pick some of that up soon, and we can stop avoiding the sun!

I hope I'm not steering you in the wrong direction by mentioning that Target had it.. I think they did, but I can't remember for sure. Can I blame Mommy brain?? :)

Does anyone here know what ever happened with the mother on MDC that her breast feed baby was taken away because it wasn't gaining weight? My heart goes out to her and I was fallowing the thread. I know it was deleted at the request of the OP (her name was Kingdom Keys I think) and we were told not to start a new one.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard any updates. I hope her baby is back in her arms and growing and gaining. It is so heart wrenching. I am still praying for her.

Does anyone here know what ever happened with the mother on MDC that her breast feed baby was taken away because it wasn't gaining weight? My heart goes out to her and I was fallowing the thread. I know it was deleted at the request of the OP (her name was Kingdom Keys I think) and we were told not to start a new one.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard any updates. I hope her baby is back in her arms and growing and gaining. It is so heart wrenching. I am still praying for her.

How very, very, very terrible.

I remember something about this...I just can't remember how I remember it. I'm pretty sure I didn't see it on mothering.

I don't know what happened, but I too am still praying and hoping everything turned out ok.

If you hear anything, please let us know.

How very, very, very terrible.

I remember something about this...I just can't remember how I remember it. I'm pretty sure I didn't see it on mothering.

I don't know what happened, but I too am still praying and hoping everything turned out ok.

If you hear anything, please let us know.

I haven't heard, and I am afraid to ask. So much hand slapping goes on there for UA violations. I am not sure what the deal is, but my guess is her lawyer told her she had take all info off the internet. I am hoping when she gets him back she will post, but I have kept an eye out and heard nothing. I know some parents really don't deserve to have their kids, but this mother seemed very sincere and a good and capable mother.

I am a social worker by education, but my job was more on the other end, I did a bit of court ordered counseling, so I was normally the one working to get the kid back in the home, not one who takes them away.

Ouch ouch ouch! William cut his first two teeth a few weeks ago, when he was 3.5 months. Starting two days ago, he decided to start biting while nursing! The other kids did this, but not until they were much older, about 7 months old or so. How can I get him to stop? It hurts!

With the other kids, I'd say no, or unlatch them, or pull them closer so they'd have to unlatch. (Got that last tip from Mothering). None of these things work for William. I've only told him no once and he cried so very hard. He's a very sensitive baby!

Anyways, anyone have ideas on how to work with an early biting baby?

Me and my body thank you!!

Ouch ouch ouch! William cut his first two teeth a few weeks ago, when he was 3.5 months. Starting two days ago, he decided to start biting while nursing! The other kids did this, but not until they were much older, about 7 months old or so. How can I get him to stop? It hurts!

With the other kids, I'd say no, or unlatch them, or pull them closer so they'd have to unlatch. (Got that last tip from Mothering). None of these things work for William. I've only told him no once and he cried so very hard. He's a very sensitive baby!

Ok, I learned the hard way both times. My kids both cut teeth at 12 weeks.

You have to stop nursing when they bite. I know you want to feed them, they don't mean to hurt, I really want them to get food .............. It is really the only way they learn not to do it. You don't have to stop for too long. Just enough for them to learn biting = no food. 10 min or so.

When my girls were older they went through a phase where she would bite when she was done eating. Got to love that one.

I had an issue where Lily's new teeth (around 9 months old) had rubbed a whole in my nipple. She wasn't biting me, she wasn't being bad. She just didn't know what to do with those new teeth. Also learned, I had to stop when it hurt even the least bit. If not she just had no idea she was doing anything wrong. Somehow the learn.

Best of luck.

I was talking with another mommy recently and wanted to ask something we discussed here. Most of us agree with extended breastfeeding, but is there any age that you all think "Okay, seriously - that's long enough" about?

I told her that I think that as long as the child isn't in school feening for some ****, I'm pretty much okay with as long as it takes a child to self wean. It seems though that most other AP moms I speak to are okay with extended breastfeeding to, let's say...3 years old, but after that think it's not right. Thoughts?

I was talking with another mommy recently and wanted to ask something we discussed here. Most of us agree with extended breastfeeding, but is there any age that you all think "Okay, seriously - that's long enough" about?

I told her that I think that as long as the child isn't in school feening for some ****, I'm pretty much okay with as long as it takes a child to self wean. It seems though that most other AP moms I speak to are okay with extended breastfeeding to, let's say...3 years old, but after that think it's not right. Thoughts?

waving to everyone who I have much in common with! :wave2:

I wanted to say that I think it depends on you and your child...its a breastfeeding "relationship." You need to work it out with your child I feel. When my dd was turning 4 (I was currently still nursing her and my ds who was almost 1) and I explained that when she turned 4 she was to be done nursing. So we had our final "nurse" on her b-day and for the most part ;) she was done. Every once in a while over the next year she would ask and I would say no. When she got sick however, really really sick I did end up nursing her, but that was like 1-2 times in that year maybe. Over the most recent year (from age 5-6) when she was sick she would ask to nurse and I offered but by then she had forgotten to nurse and she would try but be done within a few seconds.

I definitely think that moms start to feel a nudge to be done with nursing sometime around age 3 or 4. I know I did w/ my dd, and being in a large group of AP parents in my town...we have a large playgroup made up of about 15 families, most of them have said they believe in child led weaning but by age 3 or 4 they were ok with the child being done. We would talk about it...I complain a bit and wishes were exchanged that our child would wean. For me by age 3.5 and 4 the nursing was uncomfortable. It felt "funny" when she would nurse and I couldn't stand that feeling. I truly believe in listening to your body and the messages it send, and so I felt that my body was saying, hey its time to wean that child! LOL!

Also, as an anthropologist, I have read many ethnographies and case studies that show that most children in non-western societies wean around this time (age 3-4).

Ultimately, I feel it is a relationship and must be approached that way and should take the child's thoughts and feelings into consideration. My son is almost 3 and while he nurses only 3 x a day I am not ready for him to be done. But I can say that probably by age 4, I will want him to be done. We'll see how the next year goes.
:goodvibes

Brandy,
Sorry you are getting the bites! That's no fun at all. Ava cut her first two teeth at four months but didn't really bite me until the top ones cut through. She only did it twice, if I recall correctly, so I think I was pretty lucky. I would just unlatch her with my finger and tell her "no biting" and then we would try again. She caught on pretty fast, I think. But it does seem like some babies are just more prone to biting :confused3 so it might not be that easy for you and it's much harder when they are so young and can't understand that yet- he's still just a bitty little thing!
I hope it gets better soon!
(Oh, and I promise to get back to you ASAP! It's been so crazy around here!)

looking to get some thoughts from you knowledgeable ladies :) ..
we are thinking about taking a short trip (6 nights) over Thanksgiving. I will be about 31/32 weeks pregnant. I talked to my midwife and she said it should be perfectly fine- to stretch my legs on the airplane (only a short 3 hr direct flight) and to drink plenty of water, but she thought it was a great idea (she's a Disney lover, too).
Am I nuts? I've had really easy pregnancies.. but I know it will be crowded over Thanksgiving, so I'm a bit nervous about that.
We will have our 2 yr old and 5 yr old, so I will probably be trailing (waddling?:rotfl: ) behind DH & the kids most of the trip.
I just want to make sure that I'll be able to squeeze onto the kiddie rides & not regret this! :confused:

looking to get some thoughts from you knowledgeable ladies :) ..
we are thinking about taking a short trip (6 nights) over Thanksgiving. I will be about 31/32 weeks pregnant. I talked to my midwife and she said it should be perfectly fine- to stretch my legs on the airplane (only a short 3 hr direct flight) and to drink plenty of water, but she thought it was a great idea (she's a Disney lover, too).
Am I nuts? I've had really easy pregnancies.. but I know it will be crowded over Thanksgiving, so I'm a bit nervous about that.
We will have our 2 yr old and 5 yr old, so I will probably be trailing (waddling?:rotfl: ) behind DH & the kids most of the trip.
I just want to make sure that I'll be able to squeeze onto the kiddie rides & not regret this! :confused:

Well, I'll be about 25 weeks when we go. doc said it was fine but I'm a little worried about staminia lol. We went to the zoo on Wed. and of course there was no a/c and no place to take breaks so that makes a difference, but at 90 degrees I was dying. I'm trying to figure out how to get water down there cause I will be spending about 2.50 every 30 mins. That is how much water I went thru. I think that since WDW has so many places to break we should be okay.

nemomom- thanks :) there was a tip on here somewhere that any of the snack or counter services places will give you free iced water, so I'm planning to try that.

I figure that there are probaly some AP parents out there that have not been seperated from their children overnight. I'm a little worried about leaving DS at home with DGP while I deliver. I'm sure that he'll be okay but I still worry. My DIls want him to stay over their house but I've already told them no since it is not suppose to be a good idea to send them away to come home to a new baby plus the big factor which is they DO NOT CHILDPROOF. This is huge since they are older and tend to do things like leave the basement door open w/ DS there:rolleyes1 Did I mention that other than a wood railing (that is too high for him) there is nothing to keep him from falling from the top of the stairs to the cement floor?

I have never left him longer than a few hours. I'm worried about going in overnight at the hosp'l and since I have to have a c-section I have to go. My friends all think I'm being silly cause they leave their kids with their DGP while going on vacation all the time. Which is fine for them but I'm worried about it.

Has anyone else faced this?

nemomom- thanks :) there was a tip on here somewhere that any of the snack or counter services places will give you free iced water, so I'm planning to try that.

Hey, thanks that's great. I've heard that an afternoon di[p in the pool should help too.

I have never left him longer than a few hours. I'm worried about going in overnight at the hosp'l and since I have to have a c-section I have to go. My friends all think I'm being silly cause they leave their kids with their DGP while going on vacation all the time. Which is fine for them but I'm worried about it.

Has anyone else faced this?

I wouldn't be comfortable with that, either. You don't want to be worrying about his safety while you're giving birth to your new baby!
Any chance they could come to your house to watch him? You could just tell them that he would be most comfortable in his own surroundings with his own toys and familiar bedding, etc. Hopefully they will understand the need to make things go as smoothly as possible for him- having a new sibling will be enough of a transition, no need to disrupt his daily routines!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter