OT Attachement Parenting

I promise I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but do you agree with your OB? My OB started really pushing for the c/s when I got a little farther along and was recommending a repeat for me, too. He was also concerned that the baby might get too big for a ******l birth, too (I remember him saying- "Well, what if she is 9lbs?" and that makes me laugh now, because she was- and it wasn't a problem at all). I switched to a CNM at 24 weeks and well.. I already mentioned my birth above.
Just wanted to throw it out there that second opinions are often valuable, if it's something you are really concerned about. Even another OB might have a completely different recommendation.
If you're still in the 'gathering information' phase, I would recommend the ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) yahoo group list- amazing women there and a true wealth of knowledge. It can be high volume, so I would recommend signing up for the daily digest.
I also really like the VBAC board at Mothering.com which is at:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=21

And if in the end you decide to go with a c/s I wish you a speedy recovery!! :flower3: Isn't it crazy how fast it's flying by?!?

HI,

Actually, yeah after I thought about for awhile. DS birth was so bad aand so full of complications that my mom did not even want me to get pregnant again. For some reason even after 48 hrs after my water broke and numerous drugs I would not progress past 3 cms. To top it off DS kept going into distress and even after they told me he was doing better they later told me he was still not doing well. Then to top that off I started hemg. and going in and out of it. They ended up doing an emg. c-sec in the middle of the night. My doc actually have the highest natural births in the state so if they tell me to go w/c-sec I guess I better.:upsidedow

I thought they did have rollaways, but maybe they don't. We've never needed one.

I've slept with the baby in my arm when we have to be in a non-king bed. A bit uncomfortabe, but better than the alternative of not cosleeping.

Here's another idea, but I'm not sure how crazy it is or if you'd want to do it. In my real life, people give me some mighty strange looks!

My 5 year old won't go to sleep if there's anything going on around him, so we've had to get creative in hotels....here's what we do. Please no tomatos....I'm wearing white! duck:

We take the bedspreads off the beds, and lay them in the bottom of the bathtub. Then, we take a sleeping bag that we brought from home and tell him he's camping, or that he's sleeping in a boat. He LOVES it! He has his private space, he's camping, he's happy! I know its not the most conventional thing, but it works. Now, our problem is that he's gettig a little bigger and it won't be much longer before he outgrows the bathtub. :)

This made me giggle. What a great visual :laughing: Definitely creative!!
I suppose I should call and ask about the rollaway- I just remember reading somewhere that they didn't have them, but I should find out for sure.

HI,

Actually, yeah after I thought about for awhile. DS birth was so bad aand so full of complications that my mom did not even want me to get pregnant again. For some reason even after 48 hrs after my water broke and numerous drugs I would not progress past 3 cms. To top it off DS kept going into distress and even after they told me he was doing better they later told me he was still not doing well. Then to top that off I started hemg. and going in and out of it. They ended up doing an emg. c-sec in the middle of the night. My doc actually have the highest natural births in the state so if they tell me to go w/c-sec I guess I better.:upsidedow

:hug: Good luck!

PORS has pull out trundel beds. BC has day beds. That is it that I know of. I think Con and Poly might have something too since those rooms are older and bigger then many. I have not stayed in a Value yet, but do 4 in a studio often (and have done 5 with a baby.) When we did 5 in a studio at BCV we had my then 3 or 4 year old DD bring her blow up sleeping bag (princess, got at target for around $20.) She loved sleeping on that. We also had DD who was a baby sleep in the pack and play. She would do that for naps, but ended up in the bed for part of the night always. It was cramped. We were used to a king, talk about going down in size. How ever we did have a full size bed for DH and I for 10 years, and 2 pregnancies, (and the 1st year of my youngest DD's life who did sleep with us, even when we really didn't want her to.) So we were kind of used to it.

We're used to a king, so I know it's going to be an adjustment. But we'll probably be so tired that we'll just crash and not even notice how little room we have ;)
The blow up sleeping bag sounds neat.. I'm going to see if I can find something like that. I don't know if my oldest would go for that, but it's worth a shot!

I do have a question for you more experienced Dis mommies- how do you cosleep while at wdw? The 5 of us will be in a value on our next trip (the baby will be 8 months old)- and I can't quite figure out how we'll be able to cosleep while there. They don't have rollaways, right?Maybe we could bring a small air mattress for our 5 yr old. Hmm.. ideas? We've been to a value once before and I don't even know where we'd be able to put the air mattress- I don't remember much extra room!

Excuse me for jumping in since I'm not really apart of this thread but I do find you all interesting...

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to get a king - I've seen posts that families over two people get denied - soyou will have two beds.

Would you split up - one parent with one or two kids in each bed? I know it's probably a stupid question and I'm missing something but if you have two beds, why would you put the five year old on the floor? He can't sleep in the second bed?

Ok, sorry, go back to your talk and I'll go back to lurking...just wondering.

Some hospitals offer this, too ;) The hospital where I had my 2yr old had a jacuzzi tub to labor in and my midwife said I could deliver there if I wanted to.
I think there are a lot of freestanding birth centers that offer this as well.

Yep, there are a few birthing centers located near or in hospitals near me that I have heard does things like that. If I ever had another child I thing I would look into it. I know friends who gave birth at them, but non did water births yet.

totally OT....Just wanted to say the SSR is a beautiful resort...We own there and have stayed there 4 or 5 times now and have never had a problem with busses or walking 142 miles to get to the Carriage house..lol
We always request the Springs section,that is closest to the main pool and food... (we may try the Grandstand section this time). My girls LOVE it and it is nice to be able to walk to DTD. It really is a beautiful and clean resort and the CM's are SOOOO nice.
Maybe check it out next time you are down in WDW.....

I definetely plan on staying at SSR. Believe me, I'm totally NOT an SSR basher. It just didn't appeal to me as a home resort when we decided to buy in. Now AKV really appeals to me, but we're BWV owners. I'll have to be content with booking day-by-day at the 7th month window. ;)

DVC in general just rocks!

Excuse me for jumping in since I'm not really apart of this thread but I do find you all interesting...

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to get a king - I've seen posts that families over two people get denied - soyou will have two beds.

Would you split up - one parent with one or two kids in each bed? I know it's probably a stupid question and I'm missing something but if you have two beds, why would you put the five year old on the floor? He can't sleep in the second bed?

Ok, sorry, go back to your talk and I'll go back to lurking...just wondering.

Jump right in :)
I'm sure we won't get a king. We had two doubles when we were there in January, but there were 4 of us, so it was a little easier. With 5 people and two doubles, it might get a bit tricky this next trip. I think 3 people in one little bed like that would be just too cramped.
Last time DH and I each took a little one and once they fell asleep (which always happens so quickly at WDW!), we moved one of them into bed with the other one- they were 2 and 4. It was the easiest thing to do and then DH and I were able to sleep next to each other. Well, there were a few nights where we fell asleep just as quickly, but most of the time that's what we did.
Thank goodness for those bed rails at Disney! Those beds seemed so high to us.
I think I'm dreaming to think my 5yr old would want to sleep in a blow-up bed, anyway- he'll insist on sleeping in the bed, no matter how fun I try to make it. Heck, maybe I'll take the blow-up bed :laughing:

I had a waterbirth with DD at a free standing birth center. It was great although my labor slowed down and I had to get out. Then I got back in to push. It was very relaxing between contractions. My arms would just float up in between because I was so relaxed.

DS was a home birth. I labored in my tub for a while, but it just was not as comfortable. I actually felt like sitting on the toilet and, when I did, my water broke. :) My MW was quite intrigued that I wanted a land birth the second time around. She said it usually works the other way around. (My kids were born in two different states w/ different MW's.)

I had a waterbirth with DD at a free standing birth center. It was great although my labor slowed down and I had to get out. Then I got back in to push. It was very relaxing between contractions. My arms would just float up in between because I was so relaxed.

DS was a home birth. I labored in my tub for a while, but it just was not as comfortable. I actually felt like sitting on the toilet and, when I did, my water broke. :) My MW was quite intrigued that I wanted a land birth the second time around. She said it usually works the other way around. (My kids were born in two different states w/ different MW's.)

I wish they had a freestanding birth center around here.. there are very few options.
Did you buy or rent a birth tub for your hb? I'm checking them all out now and gathering info ;)

We rented a birth tub/pool called "AquaDoula" from my midwife for an extra $100. I think you can rent directly from the company too, but I can't remember how much they charged. I highly recommend a birth pool! It was big enough that if my dh or kids wanted to get in with me, they could have. It ended up that I forgot to have my dh come in, and my kids couldn't make it in time because William came pretty fast!

Some of my midwife's mamas just use a blow up kiddie pool. I liked the birth pool becasue the water is deep, about 2.5 feet.

I wish they had a freestanding birth center around here.. there are very few options.
Did you buy or rent a birth tub for your hb? I'm checking them all out now and gathering info ;)

I was in my bathtub with DS. :) With DD I was in the birthcenters huge tub.

We rented a birth tub/pool called "AquaDoula" from my midwife for an extra $100. I think you can rent directly from the company too, but I can't remember how much they charged. I highly recommend a birth pool! It was big enough that if my dh or kids wanted to get in with me, they could have. It ended up that I forgot to have my dh come in, and my kids couldn't make it in time because William came pretty fast!

Some of my midwife's mamas just use a blow up kiddie pool. I liked the birth pool becasue the water is deep, about 2.5 feet.

I think we're going the fishy pool route, too. Seems to be the easiest, although if my midwife has something, that would be nice. We are just so tight on space, though!

We made them (with directions found on here Dis boards.) You trace out the Mickey head, baste it in dental floss (will not absord the color) and then rubber band them. We have made a number since then, but those our 1st set seemed to turn out the best. We used the black kids meal plates as our template. Becareful, I made a tank top one that turned out great, but sadly I am blessed with ****age and when I put it on Mickey looked all askew. So the moral of the story is, women don't try it with tight shirts. I made another and it looks better, but I do have to make sure everything is in place, or it looks funny.

They were a lot easier to make then they sounded. I have made so many since them, for people at tie die parties. Oh the Mickey heads I have traced ands basted. :laughing:

I love your shirts, too. I want to make some matching shirts for us, too, but I'm sure they won't come out as nice as yours.
I might have to pick your brain before I actually make them- I've never tie-dyed before!:)

I love your shirts, too. I want to make some matching shirts for us, too, but I'm sure they won't come out as nice as yours.
I might have to pick your brain before I actually make them- I've never tie-dyed before!:)

Thanks, check out the link I posted before. It has a lot of hints, but I don't mind talking about it if you have any questions. They really were very easy. :thumbsup2

I've never tie-dyed before either! I'm nervous! I did order a few tie dye kits from Joanns today because I read in another thread that the ones they have are the best...so we'll see! I'll probably end up with one big mess :) My kids seem to have fun making messes, so I guess its mama's turn now!

Hey other APers!

We have our big trip planned for March with other members of our family but DH is going to a conference in Orlando now and we'll probably stay at Coronado Springs with DS (he'll have just turned 6 months) So now I have questions!

1) what's the deal with breastmilk on planes? I've only vaguely payed attention.
2) we don't plan on vaccinating DS, if ever, until 1-2 years old. I am a little concerned about taking a trip with him while he is still so young...any thoughts on this? I am BFing so that makes me feel better about his immune system.
3) He'll be turning 6 months a week before we leave...if we haven't started solids before this, should we hold off on starting solids until after our trip?
4) Any other advice? Anything I MUST bring? I hope to wear him around most places and bring an umbrella stroller and I'm pretty sure we can get a king size bed so we can have him in bed with us.

TIA! I'm so excited!

Hey other APers!

We have our big trip planned for March with other members of our family but DH is going to a conference in Orlando now and we'll probably stay at Coronado Springs with DS (he'll have just turned 6 months) So now I have questions!

1) what's the deal with breastmilk on planes? I've only vaguely payed attention.
2) we don't plan on vaccinating DS, if ever, until 1-2 years old. I am a little concerned about taking a trip with him while he is still so young...any thoughts on this? I am BFing so that makes me feel better about his immune system.
3) He'll be turning 6 months a week before we leave...if we haven't started solids before this, should we hold off on starting solids until after our trip?
4) Any other advice? Anything I MUST bring? I hope to wear him around most places and bring an umbrella stroller and I'm pretty sure we can get a king size bed so we can have him in bed with us.

TIA! I'm so excited!

The only thought I have is... to additionally boost his immunity, I would look into giving him echinacea.

I loved carrying DS in hims Mei Tei wrap... sooooooo much easier than a stroller :thumbsup2

Hey other APers!

TIA! I'm so excited!

I would think that your DS would be reasonably covered from an immunity standpoint if you are exclusively BFing. I don't know how you feel about selective vax, but mothering.com has a sub forum regarding the issue. There is a thread about a conference that one of the Dr. Sears' spoke at recently where he recommended certain vax's over others (like HiB, etc.). If it is something that is concerning you, it might be worth a look.

As for solids, I would delay until you get home. Baby will get more breastmilk that way and you won't have to lug baby food with you. Just my opinion. ;)

Hey other APers!

TIA! I'm so excited!

1.) I don't know what the deal is with breastmilk on the planes. I've never pumped my milk, so I've not paid attention. Sorry!
2.) Good for you on not vaxxing! We don't either. We've had two trips, and my kids have never gotten sick. We're taking William in Sept when he'll be about 5 months, I'm not worried. Your baby's immune system will handle whatever he comes in contact with.
3.) Don't worry about bringing baby food. He will be fine with just nursing. There's nothing magic about starting right at six months. My first started at 6 months, but Mackenzie didn't eat ANYTHING besides breastmilk until she was 10 months old, and then her first food was diced tomatoes. Go figure!
4.) I am wearing William all the time too. I do have a double stroller just in case that we will bring, but plan on wearing him most of the time. I'll only use stroller if it gets super dee dooper hot or if he wants some freedom of movement for a bit.

Other things to bring...a hat, non chemical sunscreen (like California baby. Its expensive, but it has no chemicals so its ok to use on the wee ones. Regular sunscreen says ask dr before using it on babies. I still use it on my older ones. Its worth it in my opinion, anyways)

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions, take them for what its worth :) I don't mean to offend anyone, and what works for me might not work for someone else! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter